General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-06-17 2:05 PM
in reply to: TTom

Subject: RE: Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread
Yikes indeed! I have that same motivation problem, especially with swimming. Those first 10 laps I want to quit the whole time. When I get out of the water, hours later, cold and shivering I think - at least I don't have to ice anything. Glad to know the long run info as well. I usually do 3- 20s before a marathon, so was a bit nervous about only doing 1. I am sure this 26.2 will be very different from any I have experienced yet.

This week I am taking a few easy days to rest up for a half this weekend. It will be my chance to try everything out. The race is "up north" so will be nice to get some cool training weather. It will be at altitude so interesting to see how that feels. The last time I raced an Olympic at altitude I was out of breath the whole time. Perhaps, things settle down a little when the race is longer.

Happy training - 17 swims to go!

2014-06-17 2:54 PM
in reply to: khaddon

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Good point Kate - I guess the countdown is beginning!  So yesterday I put the tires that I plan to race with (Continental GP4000s) tires on my bike as I wanted to give them a break in period before actual race day.  Yesterday I had my LBS install my 11-28 cassette after my two laps on the course last week.  I guess we are entering that stage of anticipation and preparation (and perhaps a little trepidation) that gets the juices flowing a little faster.

So today I take the bike out on a longer and hillier ride to see how I like the 11-28 and the new tires and to make sure the chain and derailleur all works just fine with the new cassette.  The ride has a good hill and provides great training for Chalk hill, so figured it would be a good test.  Here's what it looks like:

Everything performed smoothly and I am really liking the extra gearing I get with the 11-28.  I could really tell the difference if I was using the 28 and downshifted to the next gear, a 24, so that tells me there is really some good benefit regarding saving the legs with the new cassette.  The coach who created my plan (lives up near the course, has done Vineman multiple times, etc.) in a recent email to all plan users recommended going to a 11 or 12-28 if you have a compact crank on the front and going to a 12-30 if you have a standard crank and I have to say, I think it was good advice.

Well that's the good news, the bad news is that at about the 17 mile mark my brand new 4000s rear tire found a 3/4" machine screw complete with washer on the roadway.  The result was a flat and a 1/4" gash in the tire itself with 24 miles to go.  After a few choice expletives, I went about the task of replacing the tube and using some advice I'd seen in a posting here on BT somewhere.  I took my emergency $20 bill, folded it up and placed it against the inner wall of the tire where the gash was, then inflated the tube.  Worked beautifully and got me home.  I must admit to being a bit more restrained on the downhill from that point on, but never had any cause for concern.

Finally, remember I mention putting pretzels on the tube of your aero bottle to provide a not-so-sweet snack alternative?   It tried it out today and it worked fine:

Now it is just a matter of finding the right pretzel.  These particular ones were not very dense nor did they have enough salt to make them the optimal race snack, so will have to keep looking.  Old dogs, new tricks.  What have you got up your sleeves that we could learn from?

2014-06-17 4:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by khaddon

Yikes indeed! I have that same motivation problem, especially with swimming. Those first 10 laps I want to quit the whole time. When I get out of the water, hours later, cold and shivering I think - at least I don't have to ice anything. Glad to know the long run info as well. I usually do 3- 20s before a marathon, so was a bit nervous about only doing 1. I am sure this 26.2 will be very different from any I have experienced yet.

This week I am taking a few easy days to rest up for a half this weekend. It will be my chance to try everything out. The race is "up north" so will be nice to get some cool training weather. It will be at altitude so interesting to see how that feels. The last time I raced an Olympic at altitude I was out of breath the whole time. Perhaps, things settle down a little when the race is longer.

Happy training - 17 swims to go!

I get it! last week at the pool, I read my emails, responded to them, then took a nap pool side before I got in, and then my music died so I got out after 36 minutes. It was a struggle, but it also motivated me not to allow myself to do that again. I have music I swim with and it makes all the difference in the world lap after lap after lap... I know I can't use it on race day, and I don't listen to music on any other discipline, but it makes those lonely swim go by faster. Good Luck on your half!
2014-06-17 4:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by TTom

Good point Kate - I guess the countdown is beginning!  So yesterday I put the tires that I plan to race with (Continental GP4000s) tires on my bike as I wanted to give them a break in period before actual race day.  Yesterday I had my LBS install my 11-28 cassette after my two laps on the course last week.  I guess we are entering that stage of anticipation and preparation (and perhaps a little trepidation) that gets the juices flowing a little faster.

So today I take the bike out on a longer and hillier ride to see how I like the 11-28 and the new tires and to make sure the chain and derailleur all works just fine with the new cassette.  The ride has a good hill and provides great training for Chalk hill, so figured it would be a good test.  Here's what it looks like:

Everything performed smoothly and I am really liking the extra gearing I get with the 11-28.  I could really tell the difference if I was using the 28 and downshifted to the next gear, a 24, so that tells me there is really some good benefit regarding saving the legs with the new cassette.  The coach who created my plan (lives up near the course, has done Vineman multiple times, etc.) in a recent email to all plan users recommended going to a 11 or 12-28 if you have a compact crank on the front and going to a 12-30 if you have a standard crank and I have to say, I think it was good advice.

Well that's the good news, the bad news is that at about the 17 mile mark my brand new 4000s rear tire found a 3/4" machine screw complete with washer on the roadway.  The result was a flat and a 1/4" gash in the tire itself with 24 miles to go.  After a few choice expletives, I went about the task of replacing the tube and using some advice I'd seen in a posting here on BT somewhere.  I took my emergency $20 bill, folded it up and placed it against the inner wall of the tire where the gash was, then inflated the tube.  Worked beautifully and got me home.  I must admit to being a bit more restrained on the downhill from that point on, but never had any cause for concern.

Finally, remember I mention putting pretzels on the tube of your aero bottle to provide a not-so-sweet snack alternative?   It tried it out today and it worked fine:

Now it is just a matter of finding the right pretzel.  These particular ones were not very dense nor did they have enough salt to make them the optimal race snack, so will have to keep looking.  Old dogs, new tricks.  What have you got up your sleeves that we could learn from?

I bought the inserts and unfortunately they did not help me with the hot spot on my foot. The hot spot surfaced at mile15 today. I was rather sluggish on both my short run and bike today, but I know it is only a moment in time. Tomorrow is a new day. I have been struggle with wanting to get a 11-28 cassette, and I am going to buy one today. Nasbar has them on sale for $54. Yeah! I do have a standard crank and would probably benefit more from a 30 but I haven't been able to find one that inexpensive. Even just one more gear will be helpful. An update on some nutrition I have been successful with. I have been taking peanut butter pretzels and honey wafers (cheaper from Trader Joes or World Costplus Market) on rides and they seem to be doing the trick. On a surprising and wonderful note: I think I just won an Xterra inflatable paddle board from BT. I entered a raffle by filling out a gear review and received a winners notice. I am so excited!!! Happy Training!
2014-06-17 4:29 PM
in reply to: ritakandel

User image

Originally posted by ritakandel

I bought the inserts and unfortunately they did not help me with the hot spot on my foot. The hot spot surfaced at mile15 today. I was rather sluggish on both my short run and bike today, but I know it is only a moment in time. Tomorrow is a new day. I have been struggle with wanting to get a 11-28 cassette, and I am going to buy one today. Nasbar has them on sale for $54. Yeah! I do have a standard crank and would probably benefit more from a 30 but I haven't been able to find one that inexpensive. Even just one more gear will be helpful. An update on some nutrition I have been successful with. I have been taking peanut butter pretzels and honey wafers (cheaper from Trader Joes or World Costplus Market) on rides and they seem to be doing the trick. On a surprising and wonderful note: I think I just won an Xterra inflatable paddle board from BT. I entered a raffle by filling out a gear review and received a winners notice. I am so excited!!! Happy Training!

Tom, sorry to hear about your tire. Total bummer! Glad you got home safe. I too just bought new tires 3 weeks ago and have 2 hole pockets in the tread. Gator skins, never had a problem with them before.
2014-06-17 5:50 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Rita, sorry to hear that the inserts did not prevent the hot spots.  Thinner socks and moving the cleats back seem to be the next low cost steps before having to look at investing in new shoes (have you loosened up the front strap on your shoe to create more room in the toebox area?)  And congrats on winning the paddleboard.  That ought to be welcome on the hot summer days there!  I looked around and found a 12-30 on amazon for $68 - not a whole lot more than the 11-28.  Here's the link:  http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-CS-6700-Ultegra-Cassette-10-Speed/dp/B002KNLX10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403045078&sr=8-1&keywords=12-30+cassette.  You might want to check with your LBS to make sure whatever you buy is compatible with your chain and derailleur before you pull the trigger on the purchase.

2014-06-17 6:08 PM

User image

Rita, sorry to hear that the inserts did not prevent the hot spots.  Thinner socks and moving the cleats back seem to be the next low cost steps before having to look at investing in new shoes (have you loosened up the front strap on your shoe to create more room in the toebox area?)  And congrats on winning the paddleboard.  That ought to be welcome on the hot summer days there!  I looked around and found a 12-30 on amazon for $68 - not a whole lot more than the 11-28.  Here's the link:  http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-CS-6700-Ultegra-Cassette-10-Speed/dp/B002KNLX10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403045078&sr=8-1&keywords=12-30+cassette.  You might want to check with your LBS to make sure whatever you buy is compatible with your chain and derailleur before you pull the trigger on the purchase.

Thanks for the search Tom. I already ordered the cassette, and checked with my LBS. They are going to put it on for only $10. Dang, Next time I will look at Amazon. Hopefully, it will arrive earlier than the 10 days they suggest. I am excited to see the difference.
2014-06-17 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4892436

User image

Tom, I did find out I would have to a RD for the 12-30. So, I wouldn't have been able to go that route now anyway. At least I feel better about my purchase.

BY THE WAY- I love that killer climb you did.
2014-06-19 11:56 PM

User image

Tom, what kind of bike do you ride? From the pictures of the pretzels set-up I would say a Cervelo P2 or P3. Am I right? I just bought a 2012 P2 Ultegra and I am absolutely loving it. The next upgrade will be race wheels but that may have to wait until next year.
2014-06-20 11:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Jose, you called it - a 2012 P2, and I love that bike!

Just finished my longest run thus far of this training cycle, 17.6 miles/2hr33m, so an average pace of 8:52.  What I really liked was the HR where I had an average of 133 which is solidly in z1.  Didn't expect that!  Guess there is something to the argument that s/b/r really does build up one's aerobic system.  Now after swimming 2.4 and riding 112, I expect the picture will be slightly different

Edited by TTom 2014-06-20 11:51 AM
2014-06-21 12:54 AM

User image

Jose, you called it - a 2012 P2, and I love that bike!

Just finished my longest run thus far of this training cycle, 17.6 miles/2hr33m, so an average pace of 8:52.  What I really liked was the HR where I had an average of 133 which is solidly in z1.  Didn't expect that!  Guess there is something to the argument that s/b/r really does build up one's aerobic system.  Now after swimming 2.4 and riding 112, I expect the picture will be slightly different

Wow, that HR is well under MAF! An HR like that for that distance and that time bodes very well for your overall day at Vineman this year. You should be feeling pretty confident. I have been averaging about 14 hours a week with most of those on the bike (a Cervelo P2 of course). Hopefully that will be enough. I ran 10 today in 1:19 (8:00 pace) with average HR of 149, so not very efficient but it's pretty difficult when you live in Salt Lake valley where there is no flat whatsoever anywhere. Hills = high HR!

2014-06-23 12:23 AM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

New user
San Rafael, California
Hi all,

I rode only the second part of the course today, since I broke my seat on Chalk Hill. I am not quite sure how I did it, but I managed to split it in half, and popped out a rail. Needless to say, I had to cut my ride short from 80/100 to 55. Luckily, there was a nice run waiting for me at Windsor High School. On the bike, I am able to keep my heart rate at a decent level 155bpm, but on the run, it is shooting up to 170. Especially after the ride. The other notable item is the temperature was a nice 80 degrees. My last few rides have been in the 95-100 degree range, so this was a welcome relief. Hydration was good, but I need to eat more on the bike. I am not bonking, but after three hours, I am definitely hungry.

Road Conditions:
I had a late start to the ride, and was finally on the bike around 11 am or so. There was plenty of shade on Eastside Road and the road is nicely paved. Wohler Road is pretty bumpy, as is the bridge before you get on Westside Road. Most of the bridges have some good bumps on them, so be aware of all yellow markings on the roads. They indicate where there are rough spots to avoid.

Canyon Road is a nice climb up, and I have a good feeling we will be having some tired legs on the second loop. The downhill is fun, but short.

The other road to be wary of is Pleasant Road/Faught Road. It is a nice place to lose items from your bike, bags, and to feel some bumps.

Airport Blvd. over pass is almost complete. The road is nicely paved, but stay away from the curb. There is a two-three inch bump that will toss you from your bike.

Railroad crossings:
There are two railroad crossings we have to do. The first is up near Geyserville, and the crossing has plenty of yellow marks on it to let us know it is bumpy. The second is down on Airport Blvd. This is one you need to look out for. It looks like a tire chewer with many ridges.

The Run Course:
After exiting the paved neighborhood, we are out on Country Roads. I recommend staying away from the side of the road. It is bumpy and uneven. Just call me a mother hen, because it is a good place to turn an ankle.

I cant believe how close it is now....I wish I had another two months to get ready. Or to somehow just do the Half, which seems to be a much nicer distance at this point!!!!
2014-06-23 11:59 AM
in reply to: Happyinmarin

Thanks for the update on the course! I really wish I lived closer so I could get a ride in beforehand.
2014-06-23 12:49 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by Happyinmarin Hi all, I rode only the second part of the course today, since I broke my seat on Chalk Hill. I am not quite sure how I did it, but I managed to split it in half, and popped out a rail.

I cant believe how close it is now....I wish I had another two months to get ready. Or to somehow just do the Half, which seems to be a much nicer distance at this point!!!!

Dan, just be glad the seat broke on the training ride and not during the race!  That last 10 miles or so must have been a bit disconcerting and perhaps uncomfortable; glad it worked out OK.  I have always had a real problem with going out too fast on the run, and my HR shoots up.  For this training cycle, I've set up a custom workout on my Garmin that has an alert that goes off if my pace is any faster than an 8:58 to teach me to go slower and control the HR (current plan is to use this during the race as well).  I do a short 1.1 mile transition run after every bike just to reinforce this, and it has helped a lot.  When I first did these runs (without the alert), my HR would end up in high z2; on the one I did yesterday which was after a higher intensity ride, it only peaked at 1.7 because of the more measured start and hopefully, the training!

I agree that it has snuck up on us.  I'm alternately wishing it was tomorrow since I've avoided any training-ending injuries thus far, and wishing it was further out so I could do more training.  I keep chanting the mantra, "Trust the plan, trust the plan, trust the plan . . ."  I get the feeling taper is going to be a barrel of laughs for all of us!

2014-06-23 6:36 PM

User image

Dan, Great report. Thanks for the heads ups on all the hazzards out there. Looks like this is a course where you have to be fully awake, no putting your head down on the aerobars!
2014-06-23 7:04 PM

User image

Awesome report Dan! It is nice to have some heads up on the course. I feel the same way as you guys feel. I am ready for the race to be here, it seems like it just around the corner which makes me think "dang - I can use more training". I think it is because we are all hitting or going into our peaks. I am ready for taper to start. I'm tired. But, I will be ready.

2014-06-23 9:47 PM

Thanks for the course report. Broken seat, geez, else can happen on a bike ride?

I had a terrible half this weekend. I got behind on the fuel/fluid on the bike and the run was terrible. Better now than in July. I think I know what the run will feel like next month. Ugh! This weekend's long ride will be practicing my plan. Feeling nervous about this now.

2014-06-23 10:34 PM

User image

Thanks for the course report. Broken seat, geez, else can happen on a bike ride?

I had a terrible half this weekend. I got behind on the fuel/fluid on the bike and the run was terrible. Better now than in July. I think I know what the run will feel like next month. Ugh! This weekend's long ride will be practicing my plan. Feeling nervous about this now.

Honestly, I am a little jealous that you got to do a trial run in a race condition. Bummer that it didn't go great, but like I tell my kids, if it all went well without any hiccups you might not recognize what you did right or figure out what you need to work on. Often our biggest gains are made from our mistakes. Be strong and confident! Your training has been awesome, now you just have to tweak your fuel/fluid. You are going to be awesome!!!
2014-06-26 9:02 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement Rita. At least I am motivated to train hard these next couple of weeks.

Tom - sure sounds like you are ready, will keep my fingers crossed you remain injury free.

There are some facebook posts about the course if anyone hasn't seen them.

Couple more hard weeks, we are getting there.
2014-06-26 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I'm guessing we are all a bit tired right now as we hit peak training weeks - I know I am.  I'm finding staying on top of nutrition every day is vital or my energy level will all of a sudden plummet along with my motivation to get out the door.  Between base metabolism and exercise today, I will need to take in over 6,000 calories.  This is quite a challenge but did teach me the importance of pre-loading before the big workout days and the on the bike/run nutrition.  Today was the big combination training day (1.8m swim/68 bike/8.5 run), so got up at 3:00 am and had two Boost nutrition shakes and a big slice of whole grain bread with homemade ollalaberry jam on it as a practice for race day.  This got me started with about 700 calories and I've found it makes a big difference on my energy level throughout the entire workout.  Added about 1400 calories on the bike/run in the form of Infinit, Honey Stinger waffles, gels and, of course, a Payday bar.  When I got done with the run I was starving though, but I'm not sure if I could take any more carbs without getting nauseous on the run.  The good news is that after today's hard workout, I get two rest days!  The bad news is that next week is the peak training week and includes a 6 hour ride followed the next day by a 2:45 run.  It is all downhill from there though!

Hmm, just noticed the date.  The race is officially 1 month away.  Let the obsessing begin!

2014-06-28 10:56 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Saw this over on the Vineman 70.3 thread, and thought I'd share so you could check off one box of anxiety inducing items:

From the official forum over on active.com:

OFFICIAL 2014 Water Condition Thread

June 18th:

The Temporary Dam has been installed @ Johnsons Beach

* The entire Dam is not contructed so there are some shallow places near the 2nd bridge and 1000 meters up river ... it is swimmable ... once the final pieces fo the Dam are constructed it will be considerably deeper

* Water Temperature at 8am this morning = 70 degree's

2014-06-30 4:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

So last week was my birthday, and my preschool granddaughter gave me the gift that keeps on giving - a cold.  Just in time for my peak training ride and runs.  Thanks Honey, for thinking of me . . .

Edited by TTom 2014-06-30 4:21 PM
2014-06-30 11:58 PM

User image

So last week was my birthday, and my preschool granddaughter gave me the gift that keeps on giving - a cold.  Just in time for my peak training ride and runs.  Thanks Honey, for thinking of me . . .

That sucks, little kids are pietri dishes. However, I have a buddy who is an ultrarunner and his best performances have come after being sick with colds. I think the forced rest was better than the havok the cold caused. So this could be a blessing in disguise for you.

As for me I just finished my last "big day" (2.5K Swim, 5 hr. bike (85 miles), 1 hr run (7 miles)). I am happy with the workout because I didn't bonk. With my first Ironman I bonked at each of my "big day" workouts. I think the Infinit nutrition and focusing more on the bike has helped. Hopefully it translates on race day. 1 month!

Get better Tom!
2014-07-01 8:47 AM

Tom - I guess the good news is you got the cold now and not in 4 weeks.

Jose - Congrats on finishing the last big day. It has got to be a relief to know all your training is coming together.

I have one last really long ride to practice the nutrition plan. Hardest thing is to keep drinking when the water/gatorade is warm, ugh! I

2014-07-01 12:25 PM

User image

Tom - I guess the good news is you got the cold now and not in 4 weeks.

Jose - Congrats on finishing the last big day. It has got to be a relief to know all your training is coming together.

I have one last really long ride to practice the nutrition plan. Hardest thing is to keep drinking when the water/gatorade is warm, ugh! I

Thanks Kate. And I agree, the warm drinks on the bike are horrible. At race time I am planning on putting my replacement drinks (frozen Infinit) in my special needs bag. This way it should be cold by the time I get to it. They still get warm though and stomaching that can be a challenge. Good luck with that last long ride.

On another note. Were we getting together for breakfast on Friday? When and where and who is planning on coming?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman 2014 Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by lisac957
Views: 51959 Posts: 708

2013-10-07 2:39 PM TTom

Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jmkizer
Views: 30696 Posts: 240

2012-10-19 11:59 AM rpoulter

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by ironjim
Views: 38634 Posts: 449

2011-11-19 6:52 AM jmkizer

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by velasqu7
Views: 12547 Posts: 61

2010-08-02 11:56 PM AbbieR

Vineman Full Ironman : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by chile7473
Views: 24312 Posts: 224

2009-12-13 9:03 PM Focker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.