Anderson Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 40s
Overall Rank = 20/95
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of cereal at 5:30am. Ate a bagel and banana at 7:30. Got in a little swimming. Set up Transition.
Event warmup:

I did manage a couple hundred yard swim to feel out the 60 degree water. Funny thing- I forgot to close the velcro around my neck and surely felt that cold water going down my back. After I fixed that problem- the water wasn't nearly as cold :)
Swim
  • 21m 2s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was so worried that the 60 degree water was going to be too cold. It really wasn't bad at all. Swim went well. Didn't really find anyone consistent to draft off of, but I held a good endurance pace. Towards the end I could feel my lower legs cramping, not sure why. Made it really difficult to run up the beach. So, I lost some time there.
What would you do differently?:

Better positioning at the wade in start. I ended up in the middle and got kicked and smacked a bit, and had to wait for the field to clear out. by that time, there wasn't really anyone good for me to draft off of. But- I felt good the whole swim, and rounded the bouys really tight. that bought me a few seconds.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

certainly one of my slower transitions. Started with me not being able to run out of the lake due to cramping lower legs. Possibly due to the cold? Took a while to get my wetsuit off, shoes on, etc. Just slow. Oh well. Not as if 30 seconds would have made any difference in my race position.

ugh. not sure. Need to work on this tho'.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 38s
  • 24.6 miles
  • 18.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Terrific day. Nice weather- a bit of a headwind going into Patagonia, but not gusty. 2Kft of ups and downs, some very steep, made it a technical and challenging course- but the road conditions and scenery were terrific. Just a joy to be out there. I downed 20oz of water on the 1st half, then grabbed a bottle at the turnaround, squeezed it into my Torhans, and drank the better part of it on the way back. So, 40oz of H2O. Nutrition- I shoved 1pkg of shot bloks in my pocket at T1 and made it a point to down them all through the ride. Got passed by about 3 or 4 young guys, and passed 3 or 4 females that got ahead of me in the swim. One of whom passed me on the run. Felt good- tried to hold it 180-210 watts and stay below threshold for the climbs. On some of the downhills I had to brake, then got caught behind two cars coming back into T2. I'm pretty happy with the ride. Might have had a few more watts to give. I saved just enough for the run.

My final Np was 177W. In retrospect, I think I could have added 5w to that, been a little faster, and not impacted my run. Really hard to tell.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

went fairly smoothly. could have taken a couple seconds off it. I kept my cycling shoes on, and ran with them to transition. would have been faster if I undid them while on the bike, but I don't have tri-shoes, and mine are kinda' hard to undo'.
Run
  • 48m 19s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Got off the bike and, as typical, took a couple minutes for my legs to feel in 'run' mode. Bitch of a course, mostly on a dirt road with ~600 feet of ups and downs, some steep. And, you got to do the steep parts a few times with the turnaround. I just kept the intensity level just below threshold, watched my HR, kept dousing my try suit with cold water and drank as much as I could. Took in one gel along the way. Definitely worked it, and felt pretty good. Trying to go fast on the downhills was a little brutal. Very happy with my performance today and had a hoot of a time.
Post race
Event comments:

As a first Tri for the RD Kate Anderson, and 1st tri at SoAZ only open water- it went very well. Lotsa' volunteers, good directions, very safe. Not an 'easy' course, but certainly beautiful and fun. entering the water on the boat ramp was dangerously slippery- but she'll put down a rug next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:02 | 1500 meters | 01m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 16/95
Performance: Good
no data available
Suit: orca sonar
Course: Nice big FINIS yellow pyramids out there. right turns around them. Easy course to follow.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:38 | 24.6 miles | 18.77 mile/hr
Overall: 21/95
Wind: Some
Course: Started out with a serious uphill, then some steep ups and downs, then rolling climb into a headwind into the Town of Patagonia. Re-filled Torhans at the turnaround while moving- that went well. Road conditions were excellent and scenic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:19 | 06.2 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 27/95
Course: Steep. Dirt roads. more hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-11-05 1:51 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Patagonia Triathlon

2013-11-13 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4892948

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Patagonia Triathlon

Congrats on a great race. Definitely a tough course, but you rocked it

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patagonia Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festivals (My First Triathlon, My Next Triathlon)

Started by JBD
Views: 1329 Posts: 1

2007-05-14 8:13 PM JBD

PlayTri Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon

Started by davidb
Views: 2254 Posts: 6

2006-05-16 11:11 AM mginani

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon

Started by hobiecat18m
Views: 2077 Posts: 2

2006-04-17 2:53 PM drdi

Started by swinfough32955
Views: 4316 Posts: 2

2006-03-23 7:16 PM DrAught

Started by aparsells
Views: 2850 Posts: 12

2006-03-23 6:29 PM aparsells
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon