General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-06 12:22 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Subject: Heart Rate Training Question
Sorry this is a long drawn out question......but I'm trying to better understand heart rate training zones. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm 40 years old, 5'11" and 225 lbs. Over the last year I have lost about 70 lbs training and have done a couple of Sprint Triathlons and a Duathlon. Up until a couple weeks ago my training regimen was typically running 3 miles x 3 times a week and 2-3 bike workouts between 15-30 miles. However an attempt to better improve my core, 3 weeks ago I started Insanity workouts and pretty much quit biking and slowed my running given the weather here in WI and that InSanity is 40 minutes 6 x's per week..

A couple weeks ago, I bought a Heart Rate monitor and I'm trying to get an accurate account of what my Heart rate training zones should be and how those zones would match up with the training plans on BT. I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance. According to Wahoo Fitness App that works with my Heart Rate Monitor. Here's where my zones are set to(I believe solely based on my age).

Warm Up- 108
Fat Burning- 108-125
Aerobic- 125-138
Anaerobic 138-158
Speed/Power Over 158

In working out it seams that I Peak out around 175 and will consistently be in the 160's for workouts. Given that its' intense interval training I'm thinking that's pretty normal. I've attached a graph from training peaks that shows heart rate data. Insanity typically consists of a 10 minute aerobic workout, 6 minutes of stretching, 20 Minutes of Interval Training, and 5 minute cool down stretch. That's why the graph look the way it does. I guess at the end of the day what I'm trying to get it is setting more accurate HR zones to be able to follow some of the BT plans for next season.

Thanks!!!

Nussy

(HR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
HR.jpg (57KB - 6 downloads)

2013-11-06 1:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training Question

It's quite simple for running and biking.  You do the Field Lactate Threshold (LT) tests described in this article, use the BT HR zone calculator for the LT method and you'll have your training zones.  In the article there's a link called Q&A, that's the big BT thread on this subject

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633

Edit: great job on the weight loss btw, keep up the good work!

Edited by Donto 2013-11-06 1:11 PM
2013-11-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Donto

It's quite simple for running and biking.  You do the Field Lactate Threshold (LT) tests described in this article, use the BT HR zone calculator for the LT method and you'll have your training zones.  In the article there's a link called Q&A, that's the big BT thread on this subject

Pretty much this. The fitness app is using a protocol that works for a limited swath of population and it deoesn't really apply to insanity.

You cant use your HR for insanity workouts to determine HR zones for aerobic activities like biking and running.

What you CAN do is the field tests linked above to see where you are now, then repeat that est every 4-6-8 weeks

Enjoy Insanity!
2013-11-06 1:39 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Sensei
Sin City

HR Monitors have all different kinds of ways to establish zones.  Timex tends to use age and sex and/or Max HR.  Polar uses something a TAD more intuitive, but still not accurate.  I almost ALWAYS have to either set my own zones or manipulate the user profile data to get it figure out the correct zone.  Usually by saying I'm younger than I am or increasing my max HR in input.

Do the LT tests suggested above for hour endurance work, but I would probably go by RPE for the insanity.  That stuff is supposed to be all out, so I would just do that.

2013-11-06 6:13 PM
in reply to: Nussy

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Ok thanks all I will do it off a run/bike via LT
2013-11-06 6:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI

Edited by Nussy 2013-11-06 6:15 PM

2013-11-07 11:54 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Originally posted by Donto

I checked out the link and want to do the test, but I don't quite understand what TT means.
The 10 minute warm up seems self explanatory, but what happens after you hit lap on your watch? How hard are you supposed to push?
Sorry for newbie question...
2013-11-08 4:17 AM
in reply to: knuta99

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by knuta99

I checked out the link and want to do the test, but I don't quite understand what TT means.
The 10 minute warm up seems self explanatory, but what happens after you hit lap on your watch? How hard are you supposed to push?
Sorry for newbie question...

TT effort is as fast as you can for the full 30 minutes after the warmup. This will generally take some practice to pace well but basically you want to pace as evenly as possible and finish knowing that you don't have anything left to push any harder.

Shane
2013-11-08 6:41 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Ah, thanks for solving that mystery for me Shane!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heart Rate Training Question

Started by Cuse_Fan
Views: 1263 Posts: 10

2011-08-01 2:38 PM Cuse_Fan

Heart Rate Training Question

Started by D.Z.
Views: 905 Posts: 3

2007-12-13 2:20 PM D.Z.

heart rate training questions...

Started by TheSchwamm
Views: 884 Posts: 14

2006-09-21 7:45 AM gsmacleod

My Heart Rate training questions for the week

Started by snoopy
Views: 1446 Posts: 20

2006-02-27 7:17 PM snoopy

Help -heart rate Training question?

Started by roxx
Views: 620 Posts: 2

2005-08-05 12:22 PM KenMierke
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.
date : September 24, 2007
comments : 1
This article will show you how to construct a run training program for your second season of running using your calculated heart-rate zones.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : July 17, 2005
comments : 0
Yesterday I found that my heart rate was maxed at 95% and averaged 80% for the bike and run with no breathing problems. However, I just couldn't seem to get more out of my legs. Thoughts?

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.