General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Logan for 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-06 2:03 PM

Subject: Lake Logan for 2014
Just saw this race on Setup's schedule for next year. Who's done that course before. I'm partial to the idea of mountain air combined with a tree-canopied run for either international or 70.3, but I'm skeptical of a bike and run course in the mountains being called flat.

I'm thinking that means, "flat -- for the mountains" but not White Lake-flat.

Interested to hear who's raced this course before and what their thoughts are.

2013-11-06 5:18 PM
in reply to: amatonc1

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Lake Logan for 2014
I was curious about the flat description as well.
2013-11-06 6:12 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Definitely not White Lake flat, but only one real climb that you have to do twice on the international course (leaving and coming back). There's some rollers but nothing significant or intimidating. It is a pretty fast course for the mountains! And beautiful scenery too.
2013-11-08 6:13 PM
in reply to: 0

Regular
I have done Lake Logan 4 times. Absolutely my favorite Oly for a numer of reasons. Here are a few thought:
- Stay in Waynesville. Great town with good restaurants. My wife loves the shops in downtown.
- Lake Logan is beautiful and the water is crystal clear
- Always wetsuit legal but not too cold
- The bike is relatively flat as it goes through the valleys of the surrounding area. There is a BIG hill going out of and back into the transition area. If you attack it on the way back in, your legs will be shot for the run. Just spin up it. That is the only hill.
- The run is NOT flat. After leaving transition, you immediately start climbing for 3 miles, but it is just a 1% incline. Not too bad if you include hills in your training. You can fly going back down to the finish.
- Set-Up does a great job. Food is good.
- If you have time, plan a family vacation around the tri. Tons of outdoor activities in Western NC and Waynesville is a great base.

I grew up in the area and went to college 1.5 hrs away. I'll will be glad to answer any specific questions about the tri or the area

ETA: I saw you mention a Half so I went to the site. No idea that they were adding a HIM in 2014. Dang!!! I was planning on going to Milwaukee for AG Nat'ls. Now I don't know. That area will be great for a half!!!!

Edited by riltri 2013-11-08 6:21 PM
2013-11-09 8:19 PM

I am SO excited about Lake Logan adding a 70.3. Anyone have course details? I'm guessing the run will be double out and back.
2013-11-10 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4893803

User image

Extreme Veteran
yes, the half course,at least for bike and run, appears to be two loops and change from the oly course. It'll be a pretty fast half. I love Lake Logan, and I'm lucky enough to live 45 minutes away. I'll be back to do the oly again, and it'll be fun to hang out after to cheer on the halfers

2013-11-11 11:06 AM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
I wasn't planning on doing a HIM distance race next year until I saw Lake Logan! Now I don't know how I can resist, especially since I was already planning to do the olympic that day anyway. The only downside to the race for me is the run. Out-and-backs are fine, but doing it twice gets boring. While the scenery is beautiful, it's pretty much road and trees the whole way. And running uphill for three straight miles from miles 7-9 will not be fun by that point in the race, especially if it is really hot. The only good things will be that you can look forward to the downhills, and doing the same road over and over means you will see lots of people, which is always fun and provides encouragement.

The swim is a bit of a shock at first because it is so cold, but it's really only too cold when you first get in and at the very end when you go under the bridge and it drops 5 degrees. You get warmed up pretty quickly. It's a fast swim that is current assisted for some of it. And it's gorgeous. The bike course is great and I look forward to doing that one twice. When you go down the big hill at the beginning, you just fly for a long time. Don't think I can pass this one up.
2013-11-13 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte
We have done the Oly the last three years and will be back for the HIM this year. The course is great. Weather is great. Waynesville is great. And the night after the race in Asheville is awesome.

Not big fan of doing that run incline twice but it should be significantly easier at HIM pace compared to Oly pace. Glad to see the NC series pick this up after it always got a backseat to Stumpy Creek (no idea why as that course is the pits).

2014-01-13 11:19 AM
in reply to: bgraboski

Arden, North Carolina
The bike course is going to be a single loop, it will not be a two loop bike course. Don't etch this is stone, but I also don't believe the run is going to be two loops, but I can't remember precisely if thats what he said. But last I heard they were still working out the bike course. It will utilize the olympic course but will veer off. Sounds like there will be one more steep climb, but for the most part will be relatively flat the rest of the way. Should still make for a very fast bike course.
The run is beautiful as it travels along a mountain creek the entire way, and you can usually hear the sounds of the backwoods as there is a gun range on the other side of the road...nothing like gunfire to keep your adrenaline high!
2014-04-14 9:45 AM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

New user

What exactly is the usual water temp? I don't like using a wetsuit; I train in a cooler pool every other morning so I am used to cooler water. That said, I don't want to freeze my tail off for 1,500 meters. Thx
2014-04-14 9:49 AM
in reply to: Theotis

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Theotis What exactly is the usual water temp? I don't like using a wetsuit; I train in a cooler pool every other morning so I am used to cooler water. That said, I don't want to freeze my tail off for 1,500 meters. Thx

I've done the Oly there twice.  According to my notes, it was 67 last year and 74 in 2010.

2014-04-14 12:26 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

New user

Thanks, although I would rather that you said around 75!
2014-04-17 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Courses for the half have been posted

2014-05-28 2:21 PM
in reply to: Theotis

Arden, North Carolina
Mid 70's is typical for lake logan. Last year was crazy cold because of the ridiculous amounts of rain. There was a june race that's never been close to wet suit legal, usually low 80's, and it was mid 70's last year.

2014-06-01 12:03 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

First, thanks, jmkizer, for posting the courses.

One course update, per an email exchange with Setup Events. The bike is indeed a single loop, but it is NOT a 56-mile distance. It is a 52-mile bike, so I guess not an official HIM.

As the bike is my least favorite, I should be somewhat happy about the shorter distance, but as this race is my first of this length, I was wanting it to be true 70.6. Either way, planning to enjoy it and the mountains before and after.

I live in Apex (the Peak of Good Living!) and consider the area around here hilly, but I know I'll be in for a tougher test at Lake Logan. If this race were tomorrow, I'd get through the swim and run with no problem. The bike? Not there yet.

Went to watch the Raleigh 70.3 racers this morning for some inspiration.

2014-06-03 9:21 PM

Regular
The roads around Apex are more hilly than Lake Logan. The bike is relatively flat except for the hill at the the start/end of the bike.

2014-07-31 11:16 AM
in reply to: riltri

Originally posted by riltri

The roads around Apex are more hilly than Lake Logan. The bike is relatively flat except for the hill at the the start/end of the bike.

Well, the elevation map I've seen on setup's site says otherwise, but that doesn't diminish my excitement one bit. I'm bib 127; say hey if you are there.

And about hilly races, remember this: At least the swim is flat!

Let's do this!

P.S. Good places to eat in Waynesville the night before the race? I've read about restaurants but don't know what's good.

2014-07-31 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Got ur bib bc ur doing the full?
How did you get bib number already?
thanks, and good luck!
I'm going OLY.
2014-07-31 10:00 PM
in reply to: franktheguard

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Originally posted by franktheguard

Got ur bib bc ur doing the full?
How did you get bib number already?
thanks, and good luck!
I'm going OLY.

They have the bib numbers listed now at the top of the event pages :-)
2014-08-03 2:54 PM
in reply to: Jenheaslip

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

How did everyone do?  What did you think of the course?

2014-08-03 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4895949

New user
Lake Logan half was a preview race to let me and my training buddies know where we stand in our training for IM Chattanooga in Sept. I feel like this Half is going to be a very popular one. The race venue and course are awesome. It seemed to be very well planned and well run. From what I saw as a middle of the packer, all the aid stations were well manned and womaned and were well stocked.

The one slightly negative I can think of is that there is only one way in and out of the race site. The parking was on an old airstrip that is close to the lake. There were 650 participants for the half and who knows how many for the International that started an hour after the half. We arrived at 5:30 am and was backed up in traffic but made it to park in plenty of time. They had really good parking guys. The airstrip was full to the end. There was about an hour wait to get out of parking, which was ok because it gave us time to get our gear and bikes sorted for the ride home. This seems to be the only wrinkle but also appears that it's the only way to do it.

The swim start was in waves according to age group. 4 minutes apart. The water was 68 degrees. The swim was fast as it is wetsuit swim. At the end of the swim, you swim under a bridge into the mouth of the river. The temp drops at least 5 degrees but you are only in it about 50 meters. From the dock at the swim exit, you run up to T1 not far away. The bike racks are numbered so you don't have to fight for a place to put your bike.

The bike course is hilly and fast. There are a lot of downhills but there are some ridiculously steep climbs mixed in. The one at @ mile 40-41 is a triple switchback that goes on for a LONG time. Not sure how far but it was enough. The only other climb worth mentioning was at mile 50. This is only about .6 miles and then pretty easy into T2.

The run is a double loop, three-ish miles out and then back to transition, around a huge field then back up to the turn around and back. The way out to the turn around is mostly up hill so that means it's mostly down hill on the way back. Almost the entire run course is shaded. The one suprise was the shooting range, which is way up the mountain to your right as you are running out to the turn around. There were people shooting during the run. I didn't have a problem with it but I could see how it was probably unnerving to many. The finish was good but not really much in the way of after race food and drink that I have seen at other half distance races. The medal was cool though.

The Lake Logan half is a fun, fast race but you have to pay for it when you are climbing those hills. I would recommend this race to anyone and would do it again myself.

2014-08-04 10:42 AM
in reply to: cedar creek

My thoughts on first race of that distance:

Amazing course, weather cooperated more than I could have imagined. And I picked this course for my first of this length because of its shade. Even when the sun came out for the run, I was mostly in the shade.

Volunteers were great, and I got there early and left late, so didn't have parking issues. Parking, however, is a problem, but one I hope can be worked out for future. It's just tough on those mountain roads to find any extra space.

I wish I could say I completed a half-iron distance race, but I can't. The swim seemed too fast (though I don't have a waterproof Garmin, so I don't know for sure), the bike was 52, which I knew in advance, but also the run showed up on my Garmin as 12.5 miles. I found it odd that at least 2/3 if not all the distances were shorter than half-iron. I didn't do the race for the 70.3 sticker, which is a good thing because it wasn't a 70.3.

OK, now that I'm off my soapbox: I had an amazing day that I will never forget. The water was refreshingly cool, the bike was challenging for a flat-lander, but also stunning to look at. The run was the run at that stage of the day for me: just get through it. Running and talking with a woman named Chris for the first five miles helped put me in a good frame of mind for doing the work. And when I momentarily lost my cell phone after the race, many people helped me deal with my mania (I found it wrapped in my cycling shirt for some reason!).

Would I do it again? Right now, not sure I'd do that distance again, but I'm leaning toward yes. I will definitely return to Lake Logan for the international, or maybe the international-sprint double. I would look into staying in the cabins right there on property to avoid the aforementioned bottleneck on the roads.

However, it is those roads that might get me back there. The canopy of trees is what draws me to certain events and gives me confidence that I can run fast. I grew up in Florida, but I hate running in the heat, or more specifically in open sun. The Tar Heel 10-miler and the Tobacco Road 10-miler are two others that have great shade.

Anyone know of a more shaded or similarly shaded tri such as Lake Logan? I can't think of one.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Logan for 2014 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2014 NCTS Point Scoring

Started by notasfast
Views: 1279 Posts: 3

2013-11-05 9:45 AM notasfast

IRONMAN Texas 2014

Started by d00d
Views: 1605 Posts: 2

2013-11-06 6:49 PM McFuzz

2014 Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by bps8229
Views: 6235 Posts: 21

2013-07-17 7:50 AM japarker24

Lake Logan Triathlon

Started by TriPainter
Views: 1397 Posts: 7

2008-08-03 8:29 PM medic0020

Lake Logan Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by tripastor
Views: 3610 Posts: 27

2007-08-05 4:48 PM medic0020
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.