Other Resources The Political Joe » "Extortion" by Peter Schweizer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-06 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: "Extortion" by Peter Schweizer
"How Politicians Extract Your Money, Buy Votes, and Line Their Own Pockets"

Anyone else read this? I saw the 60 Minutes interview the author did with Steve Kroft and I had to pick this up. Whether you're on the right or left you should really consider reading it. Just finished and I'm convinced more than ever that we need congressional term limits.

2013-11-06 4:03 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: "Extortion" by Peter Schweizer

I haven't read it yet, but I'll add it to my list:

Here's a link to the book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Extortion-Politicians-Extract-Money-Pockets/dp/0544103343

I have a few close friends who are involved in politics and it's such a weird game.  Even the "good guys" are nothing more than glorified fund raisers that spend half of every day making phone calls so they can stay in office the next go around.  The fund raising is so important that the threat of withholding donations next time around can be a heavy hand.

I'll even give a personal anecdote.  I was trying to get ahold of a state senator for a simple phone call to discuss my opinion on a law he was pushing.  He wouldn't even take my call no matter how many times I tried.  However, I contacted his staff and said I'd donate the max to his campaign if he would have lunch with me and guess how long it took me to get a lunch with him?  Yeah, about 30 minutes and I got the callback.

Even with the cleanest of candidates money provides a very loud voice.  If you're bringing the big bucks to the table, they will listen to you at the very least.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » "Extortion" by Peter Schweizer Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 0
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.