General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin heart rate monitor replacement? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-06 3:25 PM

Regular
Subject: Garmin heart rate monitor replacement?
Lost my HRM that came with my 310XT during an ocean swim. I believe it was the one referred to as premium heart strap.

Prior to losing it, I was getting crazy readings for heart rate. Would jump all over the place with readings well over 220 for most of a run.

Question: Is there anything better to replace with that will work with the 310 or just go with the same?

2013-11-06 4:33 PM
in reply to: tgrunnin

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: RE: Garmin heart rate monitor replacement?
Get the hard-strap version:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10997-00-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B00...

Cheaper than the soft-strap, plus much more comfortable and accurate. My soft-strap had crazy readings. I tried the DC Rainmaker method of using a Polar strap with it and it still was funky. I'm much happier since I bought the hard-strap version!
2013-11-06 5:06 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Pro

I've done the hard strap, the garmin soft strap, the polar soft strap.  the older polar Wear-link soft strap was probably the best w.r.t. avoiding spikes, but only lasted about 9 months and now I don't know where to buy them.  The garmin soft strap... also only lasted about 9 months.  My 3 year old, old garmin hard strap still works fine.  Just a new 2032 once a year and it keeps going.  that said- I don't find it all that comfortable, nor is it the best at avoiding HR spikes.

to handle the spikes I do two things.

1.  use electrode gel  (spectra 360, it's available on amazon)  Which- b.t.w. doesn't work on the mesh straps like the wear-link.  you need to soak them.

2.  I spray my shirt with Static Guard  (available at your supermarket for about $5/can)

the static guard really works.  makes a huge difference.  

the straps with the metal mesh tend to be the best at avoiding the static spikes.  Like the garmin premium  http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Premium-Heart-Monitor-Strap/dp/B00BI9X1QM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383779134&sr=8-2&keywords=garmin+heart+rate+monitor

2013-11-06 6:55 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
If you had spikes throughout the run...that is really unfortunate. Usually people only have that problem on the bike...at the start...during cool/dry/windy rides.

I just got the polar strap with the garmin pod, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet on the bike. It has so far worked wonderfully on the run.
(I usually use the spectra gel but also just got some of the 'adhesive' electrode gel to try out as well)
2013-11-06 7:06 PM

User image

Master
I hate to even offer this as an option but I had a 910 with a "premium strap" that did the same thing. It died after 7 months. Garmin replaced the strap with a "new improved premium strap" The new strap is clearly different and has been working great. I also have a couple of the old style straps i use as back-ups but I really like the new version of the premium strap
2013-11-06 7:47 PM

I've also tried a bunch, and despite the best advice of forumites, there's no magic answer.

Soft-strap worked fine for a year, then died a slow death (3 straps). Also the most uncomfortable.

The Polar strap that DCRainmaker recommended was a total bust for me. Sensitivity to signal was too low for my 910xt and I kept losing half the HR data.

Best has been the premium Garmin HRM soft strap, but even that dies within about a year for me. If you do buy this one though, and it does start glitching before 12 months, definitely contact Garmin - they will send you a replacement strap with little difficulty (as they should for the premium price of the HRM.)

2013-11-06 9:55 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Originally posted by pschriver

I hate to even offer this as an option but I had a 910 with a "premium strap" that did the same thing. It died after 7 months. Garmin replaced the strap with a "new improved premium strap" The new strap is clearly different and has been working great. I also have a couple of the old style straps i use as back-ups but I really like the new version of the premium strap

This is true. My 910 came with the soft strap premium hrm and it lasted a month before it started reading way off. I told Garmin and they sent me a new one but it is a new design. Immediately upon opening it you can tell its much more robust than the original strap. It's a totally different design. The pod is the same but strap is way different. It has worked like a champ since day one.
2013-11-06 10:43 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

I'm a user if the "regular" hard strap. I never used any of the other ones so I can't comment. I haven't had any issues with my HRM. It of course isn't that great for the first 5-10 minutes into a workout until it's wet. I could apply gel but I haven't bothered yet since I sweat so much. It's comfortable to me. I also heard a lot of issues on the older soft straps but it sounds like they fixed it on their new version. My strap has been going strong for about 2 years and shows no signs of going out yet.
2013-11-07 4:53 PM
in reply to: Blastman

Regular
Thanks for the input. Does anyone understand how these work? Does the strap do anything other than hold the snaps for the puck to snap to?
2013-11-07 6:53 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

I have the Garmin 910xt and I've never had any problems with the Garmin soft strap- it fits me a lot better than the hard strap. Occasionally I've had spikes or or crazy high (incorrect) readings on runs if my skin is too dry.
2013-11-07 11:14 PM

User image

I started getting the early spiking with my 910 and decided to get a new strap. I also have an iPhone 5, and thought it would be nice to have a strap that would pair with it w/o some sort of attachment. I ended up getting the Viiiiva strap which not only has both Ant+ and Bluetooth Smart, it's also designed to receive from an Ant+ device and broadcast in Bluetooth (thus making it possible to read speed/cadence, etc... on your iPhone). I haven't done the bridge thing, but it has become my regular HR strap since I bought it.

It's not cheap, but it's a lot nicer than the last generation premium strap. I usually wet it down before putting it on as I think static has been a main cause of my HR spikes. They'd usually go away by about .5 miles into a run, which is about the time I started sweating more.

2013-11-08 9:43 AM
in reply to: seeverist

Master
Memphis, TN
Mine died within a year and gave me crazy readings like a HR of 38 on a hard ride. Obviously not true. I tried everything like replacing batteries, using saline solution for a contact between the skin and electrodes.

I just ordered another Premium Soft Strap again and hope to get more than a year out of this one at $54
2013-11-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jtiger Mine died within a year and gave me crazy readings like a HR of 38 on a hard ride. Obviously not true. I tried everything like replacing batteries, using saline solution for a contact between the skin and electrodes. I just ordered another Premium Soft Strap again and hope to get more than a year out of this one at $54

while I can't be sure about your case- generally, the part that goes bad with these new soft straps is the strap itself, rather than the little electronics box.  So, you could order just the replacement strap part ($30ish for the premium garmin and $19 for the polar basic soft strap version).  The garmin puck clips right into the polar soft strap.

I guess we just need to get used to HR monitors as consumables.  Like bike tires.  I've gotta' replace 3 or 4 of those a year, and they're each as much as a strap.

2013-11-08 11:33 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
I've had good results with the Wahoo Fitness hard strap. http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/wahoo-heart-rate-monitor.html

I got cut under the pod on every run with my Garmin softstrap.
2013-11-08 11:36 AM
in reply to: erincs

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Me too. Cut every time. I have adjusted it tighter and looser and everything in between. Always use Body Glide.....still cuts me.
2013-11-08 12:18 PM
in reply to: morey000

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by Jtiger Mine died within a year and gave me crazy readings like a HR of 38 on a hard ride. Obviously not true. I tried everything like replacing batteries, using saline solution for a contact between the skin and electrodes. I just ordered another Premium Soft Strap again and hope to get more than a year out of this one at $54

while I can't be sure about your case- generally, the part that goes bad with these new soft straps is the strap itself, rather than the little electronics box.  So, you could order just the replacement strap part ($30ish for the premium garmin and $19 for the polar basic soft strap version).  The garmin puck clips right into the polar soft strap.

I guess we just need to get used to HR monitors as consumables.  Like bike tires.  I've gotta' replace 3 or 4 of those a year, and they're each as much as a strap.

I thought about getting a replacement strap only but I didn't want to sink another $30 into it and find that the puck is bad not the strap.

2013-11-08 12:47 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

I disagree! A HR strap shouldn't wear out that quickly and should last as long as the watch.

I'm glad buy my Garmin watches at a store which guarantees them for life and will replace a non-functional strap if needed.

I never wear my HR strap in the pool or salt water-- I wonder if that makes a difference.
2013-11-08 7:37 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Roch-cha-cha
I have nothing but problems with Garmin straps. Change batteries, check seals, etc. Often they wouldn't pair up or give me ridiculous readings.

I now use the strap that came with my Bontrager Node. While I assume that pretty much all HR straps are made by the same manufacturer but just rebranded, I have never ever had an issue with the Bontrager not connecting.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin heart rate monitor replacement? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin 910 heart rate monitor problems

Started by Blueraiderzone
Views: 9056 Posts: 14

2013-02-28 12:34 PM dangremond

Garmin Heart rate monitor acting up

Started by EKH
Views: 1146 Posts: 9

2012-05-20 4:42 PM Tripopo

Garmin heart rate monitor problem

Started by Tiesim
Views: 648 Posts: 3

2011-01-02 9:39 AM Tiesim

Where to buy Garmin heart rate monitor strap?

Started by JonCT
Views: 1032 Posts: 4

2009-02-14 12:27 PM JonCT

Garmin Heart Rate Monitor

Started by Kelownagirl
Views: 1635 Posts: 10

2008-07-14 4:11 PM mdickson68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2011
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
This panel discussion will cover many questions on heart rate monitors, powermeters and testing.

date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.

date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.
date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.