General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Headlights for Running in Dark? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-07 7:28 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: Headlights for Running in Dark?
Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by MonkeyClaw
Originally posted by cdkayak I have a Black Diamond Sprinter which works well. Light, has a red blinker on the battery pack on the back and it's rechargeable.
Black Diamond Sprinter FTW!

The sprinter is certainly a popular one.  the cool thing about it is that it comes with a rear red blinky light.  I wish more of them did!  it only has two levels tho, with a max of 75 lm.  Which is solid, and about the light level I normally choose to run with.  Not sure about the over the head strap.  What I don't like about it is that it only has a 6hr burn time and it's a rechargeable battery.

I realize everyone has their own desires and needs- but since this is a discussion of headlamps, I'm gonna share why I prefer AAA powered headlamps vs rechargeables.  (YMMV)

1st:  It's 5am.  I'm going for a run.  I put on my rechargeable headlamp and I forgot to charge it last night.  What do you do? 

2nd.  Ultras.  hard to plug your headlamp into a tree for a few hours.  easier to just have a few tiny AAA's in your bag.

3rd.  they tend to be more expensive.

I guess the upside is that if get in the habit of always plugging in your headlamp, then you always run out the door with a full charge. 

The rechargeable issue was something I worried about as well since this light usually stayed in my bag for running after work. I have a spare AAA LED headlamp in the car as a backup in the event I forget to charge the BD. Obviously that doesn't help if the BD runs out during the run though. The over the head strap was removable on the version I got, I haven't had any issues using it without that strap.

Ultras would be another story & I agree with you on that, easier to carry spare batteries. Same thing for camping, I use the AAA headlamps.

2013-11-09 5:09 AM
in reply to: cdkayak

Originally posted by cdkayak

Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by MonkeyClaw
Originally posted by cdkayak I have a Black Diamond Sprinter which works well. Light, has a red blinker on the battery pack on the back and it's rechargeable.
Black Diamond Sprinter FTW!

The sprinter is certainly a popular one.  the cool thing about it is that it comes with a rear red blinky light.  I wish more of them did!  it only has two levels tho, with a max of 75 lm.  Which is solid, and about the light level I normally choose to run with.  Not sure about the over the head strap.  What I don't like about it is that it only has a 6hr burn time and it's a rechargeable battery.

I realize everyone has their own desires and needs- but since this is a discussion of headlamps, I'm gonna share why I prefer AAA powered headlamps vs rechargeables.  (YMMV)

1st:  It's 5am.  I'm going for a run.  I put on my rechargeable headlamp and I forgot to charge it last night.  What do you do? 

2nd.  Ultras.  hard to plug your headlamp into a tree for a few hours.  easier to just have a few tiny AAA's in your bag.

3rd.  they tend to be more expensive.

I guess the upside is that if get in the habit of always plugging in your headlamp, then you always run out the door with a full charge. 

The rechargeable issue was something I worried about as well since this light usually stayed in my bag for running after work. I have a spare AAA LED headlamp in the car as a backup in the event I forget to charge the BD. Obviously that doesn't help if the BD runs out during the run though. The over the head strap was removable on the version I got, I haven't had any issues using it without that strap.

Ultras would be another story & I agree with you on that, easier to carry spare batteries. Same thing for camping, I use the AAA headlamps.

If you go the AAA batteries route, get rechargeable batteries. Sure, they cost 3-4X as must as "disposable" batteries, but after the third or fourth use, they have paid for themselves. I have two sets of rechargeable batteries. 1 set is in the light while the other set recharges.

Chicks are always commenting on how bright my light is. Dudes are jealous.
2013-11-09 8:17 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

The Petzl Tikka 2 is a very serviceable and affordable headlamp for the average road runner.

http://www.rei.com/product/791311/petzl-tikka-2-led-headlamp

x3 love this light. On second year of use and it works great. 

2013-11-09 4:13 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

Originally posted by SevenZulu

Originally posted by VGT My wife got me a little LED that clips to my hat. Works good enough, couldn't imagine wearing a full headlight.

I've used some of these clip-on ones that I picked up from meritline I think.  They were cheap and worked well.  Downside is replacing the little watch-style batteries eventually.  If you can find some that take a AAA then that might be a simpler option.

I usually lose them before the battery dies, lol.
2013-11-10 5:53 AM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
Been using a Black Diamond Sprinter also. I like that it's rechargable.
2013-11-10 7:03 AM
in reply to: lextek

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have a Black Diamond Spot. It has all kinds of nice features like lots of modes and a way to check the battery power when you turn it on. Not rechargeable, though. It generates plenty of light (90 lumens on bright mode) and a nice long beam. I have awful night vision but that is plenty for me to run by. I usually start running just as it gets light, but I take the headlamp to see and be seen on cloudy mornings and if I start a bit earlier than usual. The issue here is that streetlights are often turned off/go off at random, even in total darkness--I've been running along at 5 AM, or biking home after 9 PM, and suddenly an entire street goes dark. For being seen from the rear, I clip a flashing red Planet Bike rear light onto the waistband of my shorts.

On the low mode it is also useful for reading and finding things in various third world settings like long-distance buses, unelectrified village houses, and blackouts. Plus searching for traumatized cats hiding in the "bunker" under the stairs in my apartment after a storm.

2013-11-10 10:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
I mostly use a $12 headlamp found at most retailers (Walmart, Target, Kmart, Menards, etc). I think it's made by Energizer. Has several different light settings, narrow beam, wide beam, red light. I also have knuckle lights, and a more expensive headlamp ($70). My favorite is the cheapo Energizer headlamp.

Edited by crissy_jo 2013-11-10 10:39 AM
2013-11-10 11:15 AM
in reply to: lextek

Originally posted by lextek

Been using a Black Diamond Sprinter also. I like that it's rechargable.

Rechargable lights are, in my opinion, the worst purchase. If you didn't charge, youre stuck. Can't use it. Gotta wait until it's charged or run in the dark.

The best bet is a light that takes batteries (I am partial to triple A because they are a good balance between lightweight and power) and then buying rechargeable batteries; preferably 2 sets.
2013-11-10 6:46 PM
in reply to: SeeVee

User image

Regular
WI
I really like my Mammut S-Lite

3 LED's with a flash mode and takes 1 AAA battery. Adjustable pitch so I can aim it at just the right spot. Got it at REI for $23

http://www.rei.com/product/808895/mammut-s-lite-headlamp

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Headlights for Running in Dark? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Running headlight

Started by mrbeachbum2
Views: 3087 Posts: 19

2011-10-25 12:47 PM kloofyroland

Overcoming the 'dark/dark' winter blahs Pages: 1 2

Started by Mike_D
Views: 2388 Posts: 27

2010-11-06 9:12 PM Atlas_Shrugged

Headlight for running

Started by LittleCat
Views: 893 Posts: 13

2009-08-08 8:14 PM Experior

Running in the dark

Started by KathyG
Views: 1074 Posts: 14

2005-11-07 10:34 PM AdventureBear

Running in the dark...

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1112 Posts: 11

2004-11-01 2:27 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation