General Discussion Race Reports! » PHILADELPHIA TRIATHLON - Give it the Ol' Philly Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

PHILADELPHIA TRIATHLON - Give it the Ol' Philly Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Enviro-Sports Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m
Overall Rank = 333/436
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 49/60
Pre-race routine:

Got at 4:00 AM. I took my dog for a walk as usual(20 min). Made breakfast (egg and cheese on a whole wheat bagel) Put my bag(s) in my car and strapped my bike to the bike rack. Drove to the race - walked down to site to set up my trasition area.
Event warmup:

Drank a couple cups of water to make sure I had some hydration. Did a light 6-8 minute jog and then light stretch. Did a light 100 yd swim.
Swim
  • 24m 34s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lost my way quite a bit. I feel like I swam an extra 1/4 mile from going off course so much. At one point I was cutting a corner but then realized just in time to swim straight out towards the bouy I almost skipped. (I watched 30+ swimmers skip this bouy) I also kept "needing" to tread water when people bashed into me several times in a row. (Probably my fault from weaving back and forth).
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting while maintaining breathing/form. Start my stop watch when I start rather then 2 minutes or so into the swim. ;)
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

T1 wasn't too bad. I had a little trouble getting my cap off. Put on my shirt. Rinsed my feet off with a water bottle(not a bike bottle) then dried them with a towel. Sucked down a gu and washed it down with some water. Put on my socks,bike shoes,gloves,and helmet with no problem. I forgot to put my glasses on (Probably because I dont' ride with them all the time)

I had a little trouble clipping in and had to ride a couple yds unclipped to get out of people's way. (Probably just nerves).

Nothing really. I think the cap was a fluke and clipping in will come more natural with time. Also, maybe dry off my arms a bit because I think it caused my arms to slip a little in my aero bars. Hard to tell. Experience (no nerves) will help.
Bike
  • 55m 1s
  • 17 miles
  • 18.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great on the bike. I was riding about 1 mph faster than originally expected. Didn't push myself too hard but didn't take it easy at all. A couple times I found myself thinking "ease up a bit and save some for the run" I think I was only in 3 gears total.Not sure though.I managed to stay in aero most of the course except while drinking and cornering. Elbows did feel a bit slick in my aero bars.
Felt good to pass some of the faster swimmers :)

Practice in aero more. Do some cornering and drinking while in aero. Probably would have road 1-2 mph faster average if I didn't have to come out of aero.

Still I felt GREAT!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Nothing special. Sucked down another gu and washed it down with water. Switched shoes pretty well. Poured the rest of my water bottle (non-bike) over my head and headed out.

Nothing. I didn't notice any delays.
Run
  • 41m 21s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt a little tight about a mile in. I didn't feel like I was going as fast as I should have been. I was tired but ran the whole way.

More run base building. More run LSDs. Longer brick runs might help as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with mom and friends and then did a light stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming ability and sighting capability.

Event comments:

It was fun!! I think this will be fun no matter what skill level I am.

Last updated: 2006-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:34 | 880 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/60
Overall: 353/436
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: The course was a triangle course that started into the current for the first 1/3 or so turned left still slightly up current and then back. Start was maybe 50 yds up from the finish?
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:55:01 | 17 miles | 18.54 mile/hr
Overall: 267/436
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Flat/Fast course. 2 loops with only 1 small up grade.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:41:21 | 04 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 342/436
Performance: Average
Course: Flat course. Same as bike.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-30 3:26 PM

Expert
Salisbury
Subject: PHILADELPHIA TRIATHLON - Give it the Ol' Philly Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PHILADELPHIA TRIATHLON - Give it the Ol' Philly Tri Rss Feed