United States
New York Road Runners
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 00m 16s
Overall Rank = 40004/50000
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4444/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Newark and drove to the start in S.I. Had a lot of anxiety pre-race, mostly before getting to the start area. Lots of security. Had to pass through metal detectors on a residential street outside the start area. People were being wanded as the got off the buses from the Meadowlands. It was crazy. Hung out in the waiting area. Ate and drank a little over the course of a couple of hours. Stood in a long line for the bathroom before heading to the corral area. Crazy amount of people but it was pretty well organized.
Event warmup:

Kept my sweats on as long as I could. Stretched a little in the corral. Got rid of the sweats when we walked to the start.
Run
  • 5h 06m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

You hear about NYC, but it's one of those things that as a runner, as a marathon runner, you really should experience first-hand. Start at the base of the bridge. Pass NYPD heliocopters hovering level with the bridge. People are stopping and taking pictures. Crazy stuff. Views were unreal. Awesome way to start a marathon.
Come down off the bridge and turn into a wall of noise. Brooklyn was packed from one end to the other with spectators. Everyone making noise, screaming, noise-makers, bands, etc. Tough to keep an even pace because of the energy they are creating. Tried hard to keep the pace slow, but it was difficult. Was hoping to connect with the 4:30 pace group that started behind me (should have started further back with them). Run up Fourth Ave in Brooklyn, then up Laffayette. Noise was always the same: LOUD! Only quiet section was on Bedford, apparently it was the Hasidic neighborhood. Pass into Queens and there was more of the same. Was caught by the 4:30 pace group and it was probably too late. Seemed like they were flying. Didn't stop at water stations, so after a few miles of running with them, I gave up. More important to stick to my hydration/nutrition plan. Tried to keep them in sight but it wasn't long before they were well up the road.
Took a piss break just before hitting the Pulaski bridge into Manhattan. Hit the bridge and realized I only had some many more miles in my legs. Decided to start run/walking so I could stretch out more running on First Ave in Manhattan. That's also where I was going to see Stacey for the first time. After 15 miles I needed a pick-me-up. Pulaski was QUIET. Come down off after mile 16 and hit the wall of sound at the base of the bridge, then turn down First Ave and there are people everywhere.
Saw Stacey at 61st Street. Brought my phone and texted her while I was walking on the bridge to let her know I was coming. We planned to meet there but it was good to know exactly where she was. It would have been easy to miss her in the thousands of people along the street.
Huge lift after seeing her, but legs are starting to give out. They are maxed out at running, and really have to take some breaks after mile 17. Spend the rest of First Ave, running and walking, 10 traffic lights at a time. Realize I have a ton of miles left so I need to be smart and ration it out well.
Hit the Bronx and it's clear I'm losing the fight. Running is becoming more taxing, taking longer and longer to recover between run segments. Worried I'm going to freeze up. Take shorter shifts running, 5 traffic lights instead of 10. Still having a great time. Never once felt like quitting or walking off. Crowd was awesome.
Hit Marcus Garvey Square and mile 22. Four to go, I can do this. Come off the square and realize it's all up hill to mile 24 in the park. Shit. Less running and more walking. Run, walk, stretch, run, walk stretch, repeat.
Hit the park, crowds are right there. Do a bit more running, 2 miles to go. Looking for Stacey at mile 25.5. Hills in the park are brutal at this point, mainly because I'm toast. Sun is low in the sky but it's warn so I'm not too cold. Soaked in sweat though.
Come down off a hill and see her. Grab a hug, apologize for taking so long. Got a mile left. Do my best to run the rest, but I'm thrashed. Walk a little more. Come to Columbus Circle, run through it, then back into the park. Hit the finish, 300 yards. Running, stop before legs give out. Run some more. Hit the hill at the finish. Start to realize that this is it. Run to the finish, relieved that what I started 6 years ago in the lottery is over.
What would you do differently?:

Trained more consistently. Felt the plan was good, but I wasn't as dedicated as I should have been. Travel for work got in the way a bit, but I could have done more to overcome that challenge.

At first goal was 3:59, then changed to 4:30, then realized just finishing would be OK. Still think with better preparation and stronger dedication to training that 3:59 is in the cards.

I said NYC was my last marathon after it was over. Rethinking that already.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk of death thru the park to 77th where you got a fleece-lined poncho if you didn't check a bag. Spent a long time walking down Broadway trying to find a cab. In a lot of pain, cold, hungry. Was supposed to meet Stacey and friends at 55th and 8th. Was at 67th before I found a cab.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, lack of proper prepartion.

Event comments:

Now that I know what it's like, wouldn't be surprised to see myself sign up for this race sometime down the line.

Last updated: 2013-07-22 12:00 AM
Running
05:06:16 | 26.2 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/50000
Performance: Below average
Course: Staten Island to Manhattan
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-11-08 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington, NJ
Subject: ING New York City Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING New York City Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ING New York City Marathon

Started by Antelope
Views: 1376 Posts: 1

2007-11-10 1:40 PM Antelope

Started by Betsy
Views: 2878 Posts: 6

2007-11-14 1:39 PM WaterDog66

Started by Skazi
Views: 1553 Posts: 2

2007-11-10 10:01 AM dhyte

ING New York City Marathon Tune-Up

Started by Skazi
Views: 1114 Posts: 1

2007-10-05 8:39 PM Skazi

ING New York City Marathon Tune-Up

Started by JenBunn1e
Views: 1401 Posts: 2

2006-10-09 12:32 PM jazz82482
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.