General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder Strength Exercises for Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-08 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Shoulder Strength Exercises for Swimming
I'm trying to get back to swimming, admittedly a weak area, and I am also getting back in the gym doing my strength/core exercises. Right now, I'm doing split routines:
back/biceps/legs and chest/shoulder and triceps.
I do not need help with volume or intensity, but would like specific advice on the most beneficial exercises.

I had a fractured clavicle last year but was able to make it back to triathlon racing with rest/recovery and some basic shoulder exercises per my rehab team. I'd like to give more focus on strength with a focus on a strong pull (thanks to recent reading of 'Swim Secrets') and I am asking experienced swimmers who have done some 'dry land' work in the gym-
what basic shoulder/lat exercises are best for swimmers?

Right now, for shoulders, I do:
Lat Pulldowns-Front and Behind Head, Low Seated Row, Mid Seated Row, DB Front and Side Raises, Wide Grip Pullups, Seated Military Press, DB press over head

Suggestions?

2013-11-08 8:41 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Shoulder Strength Exercises for Swimming

I don't know about specific exercises but lats and triceps (vs shoulders) are more the muscles we focused on when I did strength training in University (which was almost 20 years ago...).

2013-11-08 8:49 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by axteraa

I don't know about specific exercises but lats and triceps (vs shoulders) are more the muscles we focused on when I did strength training in University (which was almost 20 years ago...).

thanks, Arend.
Which exercises did you do?

(My shoulder is recovering from injury so I asked specifically about that, but do expect that the 'shoulder/lat/deltoid/tri' area would be the real focus for the pull...)
2013-11-08 8:53 AM

User image

If you are not using them I would suggest looking into surgical tube exerices.  There's a number a ways to use them.  We used them a lot in HS/College.  I still from time to time or after a lay off from the pool break them out.  I go through freestyle and fly motions both facing the wall and away from the wall.  You can start with very light tension and build from there.  I'm not a rehab expert so you should ask your rehab team if that exercise is okay to make sure you avoid any injuries from it.

2013-11-08 9:25 AM

User image

I'm not an experienced swimmer but my training program has me doing these in addition to rows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7JhTSpUAc

I use very, very light weight and do 30 reps, focusing on form.

2013-11-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: swimbikejog

User image

I've been looking for more core workouts that are swimming specific and came across this video. All the planking stuff helps with shoulder stability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovlri8nrSE

2013-11-08 9:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dtoce I'm trying to get back to swimming, admittedly a weak area, and I am also getting back in the gym doing my strength/core exercises. Right now, I'm doing split routines: back/biceps/legs and chest/shoulder and triceps. I do not need help with volume or intensity, but would like specific advice on the most beneficial exercises. I had a fractured clavicle last year but was able to make it back to triathlon racing with rest/recovery and some basic shoulder exercises per my rehab team. I'd like to give more focus on strength with a focus on a strong pull (thanks to recent reading of 'Swim Secrets') and I am asking experienced swimmers who have done some 'dry land' work in the gym- what basic shoulder/lat exercises are best for swimmers? Right now, for shoulders, I do: Lat Pulldowns-Front and Behind Head, Low Seated Row, Mid Seated Row, DB Front and Side Raises, Wide Grip Pullups, Seated Military Press, DB press over head Suggestions?

What is leading you towards lifting in the first place? Concerned about joint stability, just wanting to get stronger?

2013-11-08 9:47 AM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by LPJmom

I've been looking for more core workouts that are swimming specific and came across this video. All the planking stuff helps with shoulder stability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovlri8nrSE

Excellent!
  • ..and ouch...

• My old body isn't going to like a lot of that core stuff, but thanks for the vid. That is likely a sign that I need it.

I will certainly pick and choose some of these, but it would be helpful if their coach had specified which were freestyle specific. It's likely they all help with core training, though. I just want to be choosy and continue to follow the path of getting the most benefit from the least amount of time training. I guess I'll add a few core workouts on the ball each day I'm at the gym. Hmmmmm.

Time management remains of critical importance...
    2013-11-08 10:21 AM
    in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

If you are not using them I would suggest looking into surgical tube exerices.  There's a number a ways to use them.  We used them a lot in HS/College.  I still from time to time or after a lay off from the pool break them out.  I go through freestyle and fly motions both facing the wall and away from the wall.  You can start with very light tension and build from there.  I'm not a rehab expert so you should ask your rehab team if that exercise is okay to make sure you avoid any injuries from it.

surgical tubes-good suggestion

(I'll have to cruise through the OR at my hospital and get some....kidding, kidding...I'll buy them.)

Any other suggestions than exercise specific motions?
    2013-11-08 10:23 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Originally posted by brigby1
    What is leading you towards lifting in the first place? Concerned about joint stability, just wanting to get stronger?

Ben, I'm heading back to the gym for both joint stability and wanting to get stronger. I'd also like to work the core a bit, but first wanted to have a routine going for a while before I added core and swim/stroke specific training.

I've become a tanker truck and need to lose some weight and really have a weak core.

Edited by dtoce 2013-11-08 10:24 AM
    2013-11-08 12:02 PM

User image

Not a Coach
    Media, PA

Originally posted by dtoce
    Originally posted by brigby1 What is leading you towards lifting in the first place? Concerned about joint stability, just wanting to get stronger?
    Ben, I'm heading back to the gym for both joint stability and wanting to get stronger. I'd also like to work the core a bit, but first wanted to have a routine going for a while before I added core and swim/stroke specific training. I've become a tanker truck and need to lose some weight and really have a weak core.

If you need some joint stability, you have to figure out where your weaknesses are and then set up an appropriate program.  I really can't help you there.

If you want to get a stronger pull, you need to swim and learn how to 'grab' the water.  This does not happen in the gym.  Bands are a decent dry-land option if you can't get enough time in the water for logistical reasons, but there really is no replacement for swimming.

2013-11-08 1:24 PM
    in reply to: JohnnyKay

Master
    Northern IL

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by brigby1 What is leading you towards lifting in the first place? Concerned about joint stability, just wanting to get stronger?
    Ben, I'm heading back to the gym for both joint stability and wanting to get stronger. I'd also like to work the core a bit, but first wanted to have a routine going for a while before I added core and swim/stroke specific training. I've become a tanker truck and need to lose some weight and really have a weak core.

If you need some joint stability, you have to figure out where your weaknesses are and then set up an appropriate program.  I really can't help you there.

If you want to get a stronger pull, you need to swim and learn how to 'grab' the water.  This does not happen in the gym.  Bands are a decent dry-land option if you can't get enough time in the water for logistical reasons, but there really is no replacement for swimming.

That's what I was thinking. Assess what the problem areas are and address them. May need to work with someone on this. Don't just do a bunch of exercises people on the internet think are "good" for working the shoulder areas kind of hoping they work.

2013-11-08 1:40 PM
    in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Originally posted by brigby1

Don't just do a bunch of exercises people on the internet think are "good" for working the shoulder areas kind of hoping they work.

No worries.

I have a list of all my shoulder exercises from rehab and am trying to do these more regularly. The joint is stable but there is still some weakness and laxity. I will not be having surgery-my ortho doc and I are working to strengthen it. These exercises are separate from my 'core' and my strength routine.

I'm trying to find out from swimmers, what exercises that have been used to help with shoulder strength that they have been given from their swim coach. I'm asking if there are any useful drills/exercises that swimmers have used/liked.

My kids are involved with swimming and my older son was a captain. I know their routines.
    It is understood that questions like this, thrown out to the internet will bring varied responses.

I am also aware that a stronger pull will occur with swim practice and a focus on form and getting a 'feel' for the water. The help I need is on 'dryland'.

Well, actually I probably need help everywhere, but this is all I'm asking for now...
    2013-11-08 3:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

surgical tubes-good suggestion (I'll have to cruise through the OR at my hospital and get some....kidding, kidding...I'll buy them.) Any other suggestions than exercise specific motions?

I haven't mastered cutting and pasting links here yet.  If you goggle it some youtube videos will come up as well as a bunch of links.  Active.com has one or two sets of exercises using them that explains the muscles targeted and why it's good for swimming.  You probably will find some more on USMS and USA swimming websites.  I looked on swimsmooth and was suprised there were not any on there.  If you get caught at the hospital you can pick up a cheap set at places like TJ Max or probably any discount store that carries sports stuff.  The last set I got were for yoga. 

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder Strength Exercises for Swimming Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Best exercises for swim strength?...

Started by JasenGuy
    Views: 1113 Posts: 8

2013-04-12 4:08 PM AdventureBear

Injured shoulder exercises

Started by whitecloud
    Views: 791 Posts: 7

2010-01-11 9:28 AM chasingkona

Looking for non-swimming swimming exercises.

Started by epicstruggle
    Views: 1061 Posts: 7

2008-04-27 9:49 AM amiine

Mark Allen's Strength Exercises in July 2006 Triathlete

Started by TriathleteNut
    Views: 891 Posts: 3

2006-06-19 8:21 AM CVSURF

Best strength exercises for improving bike speed

Started by apw0397
    Views: 929 Posts: 2

2005-10-11 3:27 PM marmadaddy
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : February 6, 2012
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 0
    How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery

date : July 9, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    Discussion on swimming slower, swim golf, the fist drill and shoulder pain.
    date : April 11, 2007
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 1
    Most swimmers who develop shoulder pain do so because of relative rotator cuff and shoulder blade muscle strength deficiencies.

date : June 27, 2006
    author : Team BT
    Standing Upright Row W/ Shoulder Press-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
    Lateral Raise strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Frontal Raise - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
    date : June 25, 2006
    Chest Fly - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 25, 2006
    Bench Press-Barbell Medium Grip exercise instruction with picture and video.