General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-08-22 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4895018

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
So right about it breaking up the ride! Gives me something to look forward to! One thing I cannot stand is sticky hands during a long ride. Ick!!

2014-08-22 2:42 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by midwesttrimom So right about it breaking up the ride! Gives me something to look forward to! One thing I cannot stand is sticky hands during a long ride. Ick!!

One of the great things about the Ironman is an aide station every 10 miles with water bottle hand ups.  Sticky?  Thirsty?  need more of something?  Just grab it from the volunteer holding it out for you.    Oooh, here's a little trick that people who train in hot climates know.  Near the end of the ride, when it starting to get hot, dump some of that water on your body to cool off.  Tricky to remember because it's usually so cool coming out of T1.

2014-08-23 4:13 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by midwesttrimom So right about it breaking up the ride! Gives me something to look forward to! One thing I cannot stand is sticky hands during a long ride. Ick!!

A veteran tip if you will permit me : A wet washcloth in a zip lock bag in your T2 bag or some of those pre-package wipes.   You will feel SO MUCH BETTER with a clean face and hands.  I have brought those little disposable toothbrushes too just to get the sweet sugar sweater coats off your teeth after 112 miles of sugar. 

2014-08-24 1:21 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by Socks

A veteran tip if you will permit me : A wet washcloth in a zip lock bag in your T2 bag or some of those pre-package wipes.   You will feel SO MUCH BETTER with a clean face and hands.  I have brought those little disposable toothbrushes too just to get the sweet sugar sweater coats off your teeth after 112 miles of sugar. 

Yes! I love having my Burt's Bees pink grapefruit wipes, makes a huge difference. I also have minty gum for the run but the toothbrush idea sounds fantastic ....thanks for the tip ;-)

I sure hope the temp is cooler in 2 months! It's 99 here today :-(
2014-08-24 5:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I'll be there for all of you at Water Station #4!! (Run Course) Volunteering for 9 hours.

Edited by stephsprint 2014-08-24 5:54 PM
2014-08-24 7:51 PM
in reply to: stephsprint

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by stephsprint I'll be there for all of you at Water Station #4!! (Run Course) Volunteering for 9 hours.

Thanks Steph!  Cannot do this thing without you awesome Volunteers!

2014-08-25 1:12 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Change of subject... Wheels!!

For the veterans/experience cyclists here... 808s? Yay or nay on this race?
2014-08-25 7:52 PM
in reply to: stephsprint

User image

Originally posted by stephsprint

I'll be there for all of you at Water Station #4!! (Run Course) Volunteering for 9 hours.

Looking forward to see you !!!
2014-08-25 7:56 PM

User image

Originally posted by joshlouviere

Change of subject... Wheels!!

For the veterans/experience cyclists here... 808s? Yay or nay on this race?

Depends on what you are replacing them with !
But sure, they're a great wheelset. A rear disk would also be a worthy option.

Depends on your budget and time considerations ... I figured a disk would save me 4 minutes approx over 112 miles, not enough in my case to justify 1000+$ for something i will use only 2-3 times a year. YMMV !

Edited by dge12 2014-08-25 7:56 PM
2014-08-25 8:26 PM

User image

Hope everyone is in good shape !

I completed my last prep race, Rev3 HIM in Old Orchard Beach, Maine this weekend. The course and organization was amazing. The weather also superb. A+

I am an OK swimmer but have no saltwater swimming experience so i figured a race with an ocean swim would be great. I am also recovering from a hamstring injury that has improved a lot lately, but i am still scared of hurting it again so i take great care and respect during run training.

I was taken by surprise by the ocean current which drifted me off course significantly after race start. I was a little slow to react because i had trouble actually believing i was drifting so much. I managed to get back in my groove and adapt to the situation by mid-course. I still managed to finish with a decent 31 minutes swim time. Rest of the race blew me away and i crossed the line in 05h06, a PR by a huge margin. My confidence and motivation for IMFL is sky high now.

The plan for me, for the next 10 weeks is simple.
- Stick to the workout plan, it works !
- Race weight diet time : Lose 5-8 lbs, this will improve my chances of making my goal time !
- Maintain a sharp focus until taper comes; 8 weeks of consistent and dedicated efforts.

I hope i can rub some of my motivation off on some of you guys if you need it !
Lets kick some @ss !

Edited by dge12 2014-08-25 8:27 PM
2014-08-26 9:26 AM
in reply to: dge12

User image

I would be renting for sure... just wondering if it would be too big of a change.

I've ridden 808s before, and I am comfortable on them, just curious if discs are worth it.

2014-08-26 12:51 PM
in reply to: dge12

User image

Regular
Awesome, congrats on the race. I PR'd the New Orleans 70.3 back in April and know how good it feels. But mine was so long ago, I'm trying to remember it!

I'm biking and swiming to plan, and have finally been able to start back running. ART on my plantars fasciitis has helped. But I need to build up run volume these next 7-8 weeks, I just have to do it gradually to minimize any risk of further injury. I'm happy with my cycling and my swimming is meh. But I am just constantly thinking about that IMFL run.

I've heard there can be a current at IMFL. It doesn't look like I'll get in an ocean swim until that week I arrive.

FWIW, I sprang for a FLO disc recently (hard to beat that price), and will be running a FLO 60/disc combo at IMFL. I'll be trying it out at the Redman full aqua-bike next month, where I'll put pacing and nutrition to the test.
2014-08-26 1:24 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I ride SRAM 60s.  I like them.  I have some HED3s for sale if anyone is interested.  100% of the money will go to my charity.  Donet to my cahrity I send you the wheels tax deduction. 

RE: plantar fascitis.  Get a night splint and wear it religiously it helps a LOT also be cautious of the wear on the shoes you wear to work.  As a fellow sufferer I changed out my work shoes and BAM I got better. I hate shoes and hate buying shoes so I tend to not replace them and I am on my feet a lot at work. 

My hip is quieting down and I am able to run short distances at least

Yesterday I was swimming at my usual pool but not my usual time and thee was a woman in teh next lane, clearly disabled plugging along with ONE ARM.  I stopped and chatted with her and she suffered a spinal cord injury in the military and only has the use of her left arm now. She is training for a HALF IRONMAN.  No excuses 

2014-08-26 2:16 PM

User image

Regular
I've been sleeping in the night boot for 8+ months. I've literally done all the home remedies (sole inserts, massage, ice, PF socks, etc.), and was keeping the pain to a minimal level. Then BOOM, a severe flare-up that made it hard to walk, much less run. But I'm happy to be back running.
2014-08-26 2:24 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mbwallis I've been sleeping in the night boot for 8+ months. I've literally done all the home remedies (sole inserts, massage, ice, PF socks, etc.), and was keeping the pain to a minimal level. Then BOOM, a severe flare-up that made it hard to walk, much less run. But I'm happy to be back running.
  Been there done that got the T-shirt. 

2014-08-27 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4895018

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Some great info in these posts for a first timer - Thanks everyone - especially fueling/hydrating on the ride. I went through about 165 oz (1-1/2 gallons!) on a 4:30 ride in Saturday and could have used another bottle the last :30. Hot, humid South Carolina afternoon. Anyway I found out weekend of Oct 10 - peak training weekend before taper - have to attend a wedding in Myrtle Beach. Good news is that I can get flat race-like conditions for bike/run and ocean swim. Bad news is scheduling 10 hrs or so of training around family festivities. Anyone here live in or close to Myrtle want to plan a training weekend together?

2014-08-28 2:43 PM
in reply to: #5044069

User image

I, too, am traveling that same weekend (October 10) in the Portland area. My hubby planned an anniversary trip for us, which was nice, but stressing me out. I've decided to get all my bike rides and swims in early that week and run long while there. No bike rental co close by and no place to swim. . Good luck!
2014-08-29 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

You guys are already looking at October?  I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm doing tomorrow! 

Actually, I pulled something in my left ITB vicinity, and on the next run pulled something on the inside of the thigh on the same leg.  ARG!  Don't have time to be injured.  Oh well, Biking and pool don't appear to bother it too much.  Walking is fine too. 
During my swim today I was picturing the water at PCB.  It's lovely there.  We saw all sorts of fish on one of our practice swims last year.  It was pretty awesome.  Saw two baby manta rays too.

I can hardly wait, but have some significant training to do between now and then.

2014-09-02 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

9 weeks out from Ironman Florida!

My sister is going to join me again in Florida, and I'm excited about that.

Mostly right now I'm excited that I was able to run today, and nothing hurts. Well... Achilles are complaining a bit but not hurt. and that means I may be able to get back on track with my long runs. This week an easy long run of 10 miles. Next week 16. Hmmm. Do I do the 16 or drop back a bit because I missed the 14 mile run last week?  You experienced marathon folks, what do you think?

2014-09-02 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Words of advise from a back of the pack IM finisher to the new guys:

Now is a good time to be paying close attention to what works for nutrition on your long bike and long runs.  I suggest you treat each long ride or run as if it were the race.  What are you eating?  How does it make you feel?  Are you still good to go when you finish your workout?  What are you wearing?  Will that work for the race?

And what is plan B?  What if it's colder than you expect it to be?  What if it's hotter?  What if you get tired of your favorite nutrition?

9 weeks out!  Yikes, taper will be here before we know it.

2014-09-02 4:42 PM

User image

Jasha-Thanks for the reminders. Last weekend I tried some new things on the bike and this weekend I let it slip. I need the reminder to keep practicing my nutrition, etc...

In terms of your run, I never ran more than 18 miles for (back of the pack) marathon training and I won't run more than 13.1 for IM training. Different plans work for everyone but that is my $.02 worth. If I were you, I'd stop at 14...or maybe 12 if you are struggling with possible injury. Long runs aren't going to do you any good if you aren't healthy enough to show up at the starting line.

2014-09-02 7:05 PM
in reply to: #5044613

User image

This article made a lot of sense to me in training for the IM 26.2 - boils down to focus on bike training and bike-run bricks. Save your legs for the race rather than risking injury with lots run training miles. Made a lot of sense to this (older and injury prone) first timer http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/08/training/how-to-nail-the-ir...

One thing I am quickly learning is not only what products are more easily consumed, but also how difficult it is to get it out of packaging going 17 mph (or 15 or 12) down the road! Tips on how others handle this - Or is it just me?
2014-09-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: DavidKSC

User image

Originally posted by DavidKSC

This article made a lot of sense to me in training for the IM 26.2 - boils down to focus on bike training and bike-run bricks. Save your legs for the race rather than risking injury with lots run training miles. Made a lot of sense to this (older and injury prone) first timer http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/08/training/how-to-nail-the-ir...

One thing I am quickly learning is not only what products are more easily consumed, but also how difficult it is to get it out of packaging going 17 mph (or 15 or 12) down the road! Tips on how others handle this - Or is it just me?

I read this article a few days ago and I agree whole-heartedly. This has been so hard for me to do! I always do track speed work on Tuesdays (6-7 miles) and tempo on Thursdays with my running group. I get so much grief from them about getting slower. Actually, a few of them even make fun of me. I want to beat them up and tell them to try fitting in all the workouts I am for the Ironman training, but I am keeping my cool! Sort of...

I did a sprint triathlon Sunday (was supposed to be an Oly but flooding caused route change). I got first in my age group, but my run was pretty slow! Oh well, happy with it. Yesterday I did my first LONG BRICK. 5 hour ride (91 miles) and 3.4 mile run (30 min). I am pretty tired today and my lower back hurts, but overall it went well. What is the longest brick you veterans will do? What do you think about the metric Ironman training day mentioned in this article? It's a 69 mile ride and a 16 mile run back-to-back. Also, what are your thoughts on 2 4-hour rides back-to-back days? Just trying to figure out where my time is best spent?? What is your longest long-run in mileage? I was planning to run a few 3 hour runs but that will be about 19 miles I am guessing. Is it enough? Too much?
2014-09-03 12:17 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I just keep getting an article about race wheels when I click on that

Most coaches say you only have to do one 3 hour run in IM prep.  Some of us are VERY VERY slow and that will be our half marathon time so we probably need to do a few longer runs

I did something to my knee yesterday. I have no idea how as I was running straight ahead on a flat paved sidewalk and BAM something popped in my knee.  I suspect my iliotibial band snapped over my lateral femoral condyle and I am fairly pissed about the whole thing.  Hard to walk.  Hoping I can swim tonight.  I biked and hour after I limped home yesterday and that was fine. Seems worse today.  I had to run down the hallway earlier today and that was NOT GOOD.  You would think as a sports trained orthopod I would have a better idea of what it is.  It can't be ligamentous and no earthly idea how I could have possible damaged a meniscus with no twisting injury. BUGGER.  At least ts the same side as my sore hip so I have a leg to stand on.....BBAHAHAHAHA yeah I am so funny right?

2014-09-03 1:05 PM

User image

Here I'll try the link again http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/08/training/how-to-nail-the-ir... or just put "nail ironman marathon" into google it comes up first choice. I am following Don Fink Iron Fit (book) training program and my long runs have been 1 - 1 3/4 hrs and will be working up over the next 6 (!) wks to 1 run of 3 hrs before taper. All of it has been in Z1 or 2 with some Z3/4 intervals during the training runs; but total speed work makes up only 7 or 8% of the weekly volume. This program is all built around time spent (+ heart rate) in training vs mileage. For a slow guy like me that works just fine.

midwesttrimom if you are doing speed work you are risking injury, but that is advice of an older, first timer, I know you want veteran advice so take it for what its worth. I would be interested to hear what people say about the back to back rides the article mentions as well.

Not to jinx anything but I have been injury free since overcoming hip bursitis in June. I think the focus on long slow runs, more swimming (I have done several OWS in lakes) and biking - have done 3 - 4:00 - 4:30 hr rides so far and will peak out at 5hr - although I am going to adjust this to get at least a couple of century's in per the article and to work in more bricks on top of the long rides.

Socks, you crack me up not knowing what it is "my iliotibial band snapped over my lateral femoral condyle"! FYI - After going to a sports doc for x-rays on my hip and getting prescribed to PT, the Therapist looked at the comparative length of my legs (one was 1/2 - 3/4 inch shorter than the other) and determined that I had put my hips out of alignment in a fall last year, causing the iritation with the ITB Band and the bursa. He yanked on my leg pulling it back into alignment, did one week of treatment to break up scar tissue and it's been a non-issue since - that was at least two months and lots of miles ago.

All I have heard is when you are not feeling 100% to give yourself some rest, one or two missed workout days are not going to make a difference but could help that knee (and hip) resolve itself - or give you the time to make a proper diagnosis!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79315 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133305 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180432 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241600 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136618 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!