General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-09-22 8:44 AM
in reply to: Socks

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
similar story here. Limited/no run training for the past month due to pain from runners knee. Doing strength, aqua jogging and elliptical. Run at IMFL will be very long slog of a walk. only goal is to complete it.

2014-09-23 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4895018

User image

Glad you are still considering the race. Sorry. I am trying to stay mentally tough through the long bike rides, which are new to me. Have done 3-4 five hour rides and 1 six hour ride. Went well. Had my longest run of 18.65 miles on Sat and I forgot how much I love running. May be a marathon on my calendar in 2015. Keep healing and/or training hard!
2014-09-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Regular
Bike special needs question...typically how long are you stopped? Do you just shout your bib # out as you approach, then stop and wait for them to go find your bag?

I'm thinking about whether I want a 2nd bottle of concentrated nutrition in SN, vs. just keep it in a BTS bottle the entire time. My answer might change based on whether it's a 20s stop or a 2 minute stop.
2014-09-25 12:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Anyone with accommodation & spare bed within crawling distance of the finish?

I'm an undertrained IMFL 2x repeater, travelling alone, arriving late 10/28, departing 10/4 - most concerned about nights 10/31 & 11/1 (can organize other nights if necessary)

I'll have a car, but past experiences proved close digs are real important after the finish, as temps, both weather and body, drop real quick.

Haven't been particularly active on BT this year, but I few of the regulars will know who I am.

PM with where, when & how much.

TIA

Edited by millarg 2014-09-25 12:21 PM
2014-09-25 12:59 PM
in reply to: millarg

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by millarg Anyone with accommodation & spare bed within crawling distance of the finish? I'm an undertrained IMFL 2x repeater, travelling alone, arriving late 10/28, departing 10/4 - most concerned about nights 10/31 & 11/1 (can organize other nights if necessary) I'll have a car, but past experiences proved close digs are real important after the finish, as temps, both weather and body, drop real quick. Haven't been particularly active on BT this year, but I few of the regulars will know who I am. PM with where, when & how much. TIA
  PM'd you

2014-09-25 1:01 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mbwallis Bike special needs question...typically how long are you stopped? Do you just shout your bib # out as you approach, then stop and wait for them to go find your bag? I'm thinking about whether I want a 2nd bottle of concentrated nutrition in SN, vs. just keep it in a BTS bottle the entire time. My answer might change based on whether it's a 20s stop or a 2 minute stop.

You can stop as long as you like. As you approach they have people on the side of the road with a bull horn calling out your number.  They are arranged by number so you can grab your bag then take what you need and throw it off.  I usually have an extra tube, CO2 cartridge and a can of fix a flat.  I have not stopped at all the last few years.  Its personal preference really. 

2014-09-25 1:52 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by mbwallis Bike special needs question...typically how long are you stopped? Do you just shout your bib # out as you approach, then stop and wait for them to go find your bag? I'm thinking about whether I want a 2nd bottle of concentrated nutrition in SN, vs. just keep it in a BTS bottle the entire time. My answer might change based on whether it's a 20s stop or a 2 minute stop.

You can stop as long as you like. As you approach they have people on the side of the road with a bull horn calling out your number.  They are arranged by number so you can grab your bag then take what you need and throw it off.  I usually have an extra tube, CO2 cartridge and a can of fix a flat.  I have not stopped at all the last few years.  Its personal preference really. 

Thanks. I don't want to put nutrition there unless it's fast, but it sounds like it might be fairly fast, as long as you can quickly locate where your bag is among the other 2000+.
2014-09-25 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mbwallis

Thanks. I don't want to put nutrition there unless it's fast, but it sounds like it might be fairly fast, as long as you can quickly locate where your bag is among the other 2000+.
  They will pull your bag for you, grab it ride a bit down the road stop and get what you need then throw it off.

2014-09-25 10:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

They will pull your bag for you, grab it ride a bit down the road stop and get what you need then throw it off.

You can put stuff in there that you might want and choose to get it at the time, or not. 

They have the bags in groups of about 20 or so spread out down the road in numeric order.  SN is spread out for about a 1/2 mile.  I've never had to wait on a bag.  I like to have cold nutrition stashed in there.  I put a 1/2 frozen bottle in one of those bubble envelopes, and it stays cold with ice until I'm there.

Knock on wood, I've never needed the spare tube or CO2 that I've stashed there either, but it's nice to have them available if you should need them.

Just don't put anything in your special needs bags that you would hate to loose.  You don't always get them back.

Edited by jashac 2014-09-25 10:20 PM
2014-09-26 1:21 PM
in reply to: millarg

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Have a line through vrbo on a condo at the Long Beach Resort -- looks to be about 1/2 mile from the Boardwalk (IM host hotel). Finally getting around to getting a place - figuring better pricing closer to the dates - there's plenty available. Anyone stay there or know if they are that close and decent places? - I also don't want to have to travel too far after the finish (1/2 mile is crawl-able isn't it?) and want to be close enough to enjoy the experience as a first timer, without the hustle and crush of being in the host hotel/resort and the amenities of kitchen, W/D, etc the condo offers.
2014-09-27 10:09 AM
in reply to: DavidKSC

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by DavidKSC Have a line through vrbo on a condo at the Long Beach Resort -- looks to be about 1/2 mile from the Boardwalk (IM host hotel). Finally getting around to getting a place - figuring better pricing closer to the dates - there's plenty available. Anyone stay there or know if they are that close and decent places? - I also don't want to have to travel too far after the finish (1/2 mile is crawl-able isn't it?) and want to be close enough to enjoy the experience as a first timer, without the hustle and crush of being in the host hotel/resort and the amenities of kitchen, W/D, etc the condo offers.

Long beach is pretty close.  I have a condo unit I need to let go.  Its at boardwalk beach steps from the finish line.  PM me if anyone is interested

Unfortunately I am out for this year.  My knee is getting worse for no reason.  Its really me off.  IT flared running straight ahead on a flat surface for no reason.  I have been struggling for 3 weeks now.  I did practically NO training all last week.  I had an awesome 4000 yard swim yesterday.  It was no worse after I swam, I went to work and it was actually feeling the best it has since it flared up.  Felt fine all evening.  It woke me up at 2am. Painful swollen could not get comfortable.  Got up and got an ice pack.  I can hardly walk today.  I just don't see how I can possibly pull this off this short time from race day.   I'm extremely disappointed but I can't race if I can't walk. 

2014-09-27 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Sorry to hear about you having to bow out! Hope you can heal quickly!
2014-09-29 2:53 PM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Master
As we get in to the last month before race day, it's time for me to obsess about the weather.

It occurs to me that the biggest weather detriment at IMFL is likely to be wind. Does anyone know if the wind usually blows from a given direction at IMFL? Just trying to mentally prepare for whether I might be battling it ion the way out or back on the bike.
2014-09-29 9:28 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Oh Sue, I'm sorry.  it looks like I may be walking and thought I might find your company.  it's hard to adjust this late in the game.  5 weeks out.  :-(

2014-09-30 12:40 PM
in reply to: MUL98

User image

Regular
Originally posted by MUL98

As we get in to the last month before race day, it's time for me to obsess about the weather.

It occurs to me that the biggest weather detriment at IMFL is likely to be wind. Does anyone know if the wind usually blows from a given direction at IMFL? Just trying to mentally prepare for whether I might be battling it ion the way out or back on the bike.

I am not aware of any website that gives you monthly or weekly averages, which would be most useful to know what is typical.

There are some website that give you historical data, like this one: http://www.wunderground.com/history/

I looked up last year, and it says they had an 8mph NNW wind, which would be damn near perfect. Not too windy, but a tailwind coming back. But who knows what we'll get. I'm told (others can perhaps confirm) that much of the bike course is lined with trees which could perhaps block some of the wind. I hear the wind is worse on the home stretch back into T2, especially if it's a S wind.
2014-09-30 4:28 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Got an MRI on my knee today.  To say its AFU is a gross understatement.  I have 1-a meniscus tear 2-a loose body 3-the tunnel on my tibia is not in the right place from a previous surgery. My attending must have been smoking crack when he did my surgery 4-not sure my ACL graft is intact. AND THIS IS MY GOOD KNEE!!!!  At any rate I am having surgery 10/10.  Lucky me.  My wedding planner thinks I need my own reality TV series.

2014-09-30 4:29 PM

User image

Master

I am not aware of any website that gives you monthly or weekly averages, which would be most useful to know what is typical.

There are some website that give you historical data, like this one: http://www.wunderground.com/history/

I looked up last year, and it says they had an 8mph NNW wind, which would be damn near perfect. Not too windy, but a tailwind coming back. But who knows what we'll get. I'm told (others can perhaps confirm) that much of the bike course is lined with trees which could perhaps block some of the wind. I hear the wind is worse on the home stretch back into T2, especially if it's a S wind.

After some digging I was able to come up with this site:http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/panama-city-beach-fl/32407/daily-weather-forecast/337604?day=33 which actually gives a forecast for November 1.

70 degrees and sunny with a wind out of the NNW at 13 mph. 23 MPH gusts. If that turns out to be right there's going to be some nasty head/cross winds to deal with.

I don't even want to imagine how accurate a forecast is more than a month out, but as I mentioned above I do obsess.
2014-10-01 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
IMChoo down (good race, great place). IMFL next on the agenda.
2014-10-01 1:17 PM

User image

Regular

After some digging I was able to come up with this site:http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/panama-city-beach-fl/32407/daily-weather-forecast/337604?day=33 which actually gives a forecast for November 1.

70 degrees and sunny with a wind out of the NNW at 13 mph. 23 MPH gusts. If that turns out to be right there's going to be some nasty head/cross winds to deal with.

I don't even want to imagine how accurate a forecast is more than a month out, but as I mentioned above I do obsess.

Funny. Here in TX, you can't trust it even 12 hours in advance. I remember my first HIM (Buffalo Springs). I started checking the weather.com forecast 10 days out, and it was hilarious how drastically it kept changing. Then a couple of weeks ago at Redman (OKC), 3 days out it was an 80% chance of heavy t-storms. So of course we ended up with hot sun all day.

Anyway, for IMFL I would certain prefer a northern wind over a southern one. It'll help on the end of the bike leg, and should drive temps down. I just hope the wind isn't too strong so we're not swimming in 4 foot swells. A friend who did IMFL a few years back said they had to deal with that, and everybody was puking in the water.
2014-10-01 2:15 PM

Totally agree. Weather along the Gulf changes all the time. I will start really believing what is being shown a week out and more specifically the few days before. Last year was a great year for IMTX. A week out it showed highs in the lower 80's but ended up in the upper 80's. If not for the unusually cold winter it would not have been wetsuit legal. I am more worried about waves than wind. Salt water and I don't mix. Gulf water temps are also high for this time of year so we need it to start dropping here soon.
2014-10-01 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by MUL98 After some digging I was able to come up with this site:http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/panama-city-beach-fl/32407/daily-weather-forecast/337604?day=33 which actually gives a forecast for November 1. 70 degrees and sunny with a wind out of the NNW at 13 mph. 23 MPH gusts. If that turns out to be right there's going to be some nasty head/cross winds to deal with. I don't even want to imagine how accurate a forecast is more than a month out, but as I mentioned above I do obsess.
Funny. Here in TX, you can't trust it even 12 hours in advance. I remember my first HIM (Buffalo Springs). I started checking the weather.com forecast 10 days out, and it was hilarious how drastically it kept changing. Then a couple of weeks ago at Redman (OKC), 3 days out it was an 80% chance of heavy t-storms. So of course we ended up with hot sun all day. Anyway, for IMFL I would certain prefer a northern wind over a southern one. It'll help on the end of the bike leg, and should drive temps down. I just hope the wind isn't too strong so we're not swimming in 4 foot swells. A friend who did IMFL a few years back said they had to deal with that, and everybody was puking in the water.

I've done the race four times, and each time the weather was fairly compatible with racing.  One year it was very chilly.  Mostly at this time of year there are light winds out of the south.  That makes the route out along the beach a little tricky around the tall condos both going out and coming back.   Mostly I suggest bringing clothes for most any condition.  Then you can decide the day before what goes in your SN bags and on your body.  One thing that may not be apparent, it's been quite cold on the beach three of my four races with temperatures in the 30's.  Makes that 75 degree water feel pretty good.

Mid pack racers may want some sort of windbreaker for the first part of the ride.

Mid afternoon is usually pretty nice with temperatures from a cool 70 to a warmish 81 or 82.

The evening can stay a little warmish, or get kind of coolish. 

Of course it's the weather , there are outliers.  The day BEFORE last year's race the seas were running 8-10 feet winds were clocked over 70 mph at the airport in the afternoon.  Race day was perfect with very light north winds.  It's going to be perfect!

2014-10-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

The doc says it's a possible stress fracture of the medial cuneiform bone in my foot.  (that's the bone behind the metatarsals which connect to the toes.)  No big ligaments or tendons attach there. It's the only place that hurts and seems pretty specific.

His prescription:  MRI to confirm, then bone stimulation to help the break heal.  Says he'll have me ready  to 'jog' in five weeks.  I'm already off of it for 18 days.  That will be just over seven weeks in all.  This week was supposed to have a 20 mile run in it.

The MRI is going to cost me $1000. .  I can buy an ultrasound  bone stimulation unit online for between $250 and $350.  Think I'll skip the MRI, buy the bone stim and use it.

Options:

skip IMFL altogether. - don't think so.

no running whatsoever till the race, but train the walk.

aqua jogging until the race.

bone stim + aquajogging + walk training + try a run about one week before the race.

The problem is if I run and hurt it, then it really hurts to walk.  right now it doesn't hurt to walk at all.

But walking for 26 miles will take a huge long time and my pace will probably suffer making it even longer.  If I run in the race and hurt my foot I may not be able to continue walking.  Tricky choice at this time.  Ideas?

2014-10-01 3:48 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Originally posted by jashac

The doc says it's a possible stress fracture of the medial cuneiform bone in my foot.  (that's the bone behind the metatarsals which connect to the toes.)  No big ligaments or tendons attach there. It's the only place that hurts and seems pretty specific.

His prescription:  MRI to confirm, then bone stimulation to help the break heal.  Says he'll have me ready  to 'jog' in five weeks.  I'm already off of it for 18 days.  That will be just over seven weeks in all.  This week was supposed to have a 20 mile run in it.

The MRI is going to cost me $1000. .  I can buy an ultrasound  bone stimulation unit online for between $250 and $350.  Think I'll skip the MRI, buy the bone stim and use it.

Options:

skip IMFL altogether. - don't think so.

no running whatsoever till the race, but train the walk.

aqua jogging until the race.

bone stim + aquajogging + walk training + try a run about one week before the race.

The problem is if I run and hurt it, then it really hurts to walk.  right now it doesn't hurt to walk at all.

But walking for 26 miles will take a huge long time and my pace will probably suffer making it even longer.  If I run in the race and hurt my foot I may not be able to continue walking.  Tricky choice at this time.  Ideas?

Yikes, won't presume to offer an opinion, though I'm hoping to draft off of you on the swim. I figure I'll be rounding off the day with a long walk myself.
2014-10-01 4:00 PM

User image

New user

West Lafayette
I am sure you have tired this, but have you used ART yet, it really helped me and my ITBS
2014-10-01 4:39 PM
in reply to: marc1estes

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by marc1estes I am sure you have tired this, but have you used ART yet, it really helped me and my ITBS

ART will not help a stress fracture. At all. Don't waste your time and money

Jasha do the aquajogging/walk training option.  Walk the first 1/2 of the marathon then see if you can go to a walk jog.  Get the bone stimulator!!

As I previously stated although no one seems to care, I am out as I need to have knee surgery.  I was planning to go and walk but I can barely walk right now.  Stairs are out of the question.  I know I cold not even walk up the beach to transition right now. 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79277 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133300 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180426 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241596 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136616 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!