General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-10-01 4:45 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
Originally posted by jashac

The doc says it's a possible stress fracture of the medial cuneiform bone in my foot.  (that's the bone behind the metatarsals which connect to the toes.)  No big ligaments or tendons attach there. It's the only place that hurts and seems pretty specific.

His prescription:  MRI to confirm, then bone stimulation to help the break heal.  Says he'll have me ready  to 'jog' in five weeks.  I'm already off of it for 18 days.  That will be just over seven weeks in all.  This week was supposed to have a 20 mile run in it.

The MRI is going to cost me $1000. .  I can buy an ultrasound  bone stimulation unit online for between $250 and $350.  Think I'll skip the MRI, buy the bone stim and use it.

Options:

skip IMFL altogether. - don't think so.

no running whatsoever till the race, but train the walk.

aqua jogging until the race.

bone stim + aquajogging + walk training + try a run about one week before the race.

The problem is if I run and hurt it, then it really hurts to walk.  right now it doesn't hurt to walk at all.

But walking for 26 miles will take a huge long time and my pace will probably suffer making it even longer.  If I run in the race and hurt my foot I may not be able to continue walking.  Tricky choice at this time.  Ideas?

:-( boooooooo!

Well, how about aquajogging, bone stimulation, walking tio the race....then at the race see how u feel and walk/run :-)

I am sending you good vibes for a speedy recovery!

Funny how we are all obsessing about certain things....wind, heat, cold, etc. Personally I am having nightmares about swimming in my sleevless wetsuit. I hate feeling constricted. Any tips? I have been practicing with it and the fit is good but I think it is just me!

My perfect scenario is for the water to be warm enough for nooooooo wetsuite :-) but I know that's a super long shot.

Anyway, I sure hope to see you in Panama City!

Alicia

2014-10-02 8:05 AM
in reply to: trirun26

I have both a full and sleeveless wetsuits. While visiting my brother in San Diego I swam the La Jolla Cove in just tri shorts. It was my first ocean water swim. When I got out my armpits were raw from the salt and sand rubbing in that area. I will be going full suit just to prevent this so early in the race. Lesson learned.
2014-10-02 8:11 AM

The doc says it's a possible stress fracture of the medial cuneiform bone in my foot.  (that's the bone behind the metatarsals which connect to the toes.)  No big ligaments or tendons attach there. It's the only place that hurts and seems pretty specific.

His prescription:  MRI to confirm, then bone stimulation to help the break heal.  Says he'll have me ready  to 'jog' in five weeks.  I'm already off of it for 18 days.  That will be just over seven weeks in all.  This week was supposed to have a 20 mile run in it.

The MRI is going to cost me $1000. .  I can buy an ultrasound  bone stimulation unit online for between $250 and $350.  Think I'll skip the MRI, buy the bone stim and use it.

Options:

bone stim + aquajogging + walk training + try a run about one week before the race.

The problem is if I run and hurt it, then it really hurts to walk.  right now it doesn't hurt to walk at all.

But walking for 26 miles will take a huge long time and my pace will probably suffer making it even longer.  If I run in the race and hurt my foot I may not be able to continue walking.  Tricky choice at this time.  Ideas?

I coach HS soccer and had a player with a stress fracture. She did the bone stimulator and the leg never really healed right. Yes it is a quick fix but instead of being out 4-6 weeks she was suffering for months. It also created a huge lump on her leg that never went away. Just be careful and do your research. MRIs are expensive and I found out my Dr would have done an ultrasound on my hamstring when injured for free instead of getting MRis that a different Dr ordered. that was a lot of wasted money.
2014-10-02 8:16 AM
in reply to: Socks

Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by marc1estes I am sure you have tired this, but have you used ART yet, it really helped me and my ITBS

ART will not help a stress fracture. At all. Don't waste your time and money

Jasha do the aquajogging/walk training option.  Walk the first 1/2 of the marathon then see if you can go to a walk jog.  Get the bone stimulator!!

As I previously stated although no one seems to care, I am out as I need to have knee surgery.  I was planning to go and walk but I can barely walk right now.  Stairs are out of the question.  I know I cold not even walk up the beach to transition right now. 

I am not sure if it will work on you with what you have BUT after ultimate attempts at healing and almost having to get surgery on my hamstrings I did PRP injections. I could barely do any exercise without legs being on fire for days and days afterwards. After the PRP shots I was able to start exercising again without the burning and within 8 weeks was full healed. I had to get 2 shots at $400 a pop for each hamstring and after a year of the issue I am sure it was the healing cause. Later to find out a friend had PRP done on her knee with similar results.
2014-10-02 8:24 AM

User image

Originally posted by trirun26

Options:

:-( boooooooo!

Well, how about aquajogging, bone stimulation, walking tio the race....then at the race see how u feel and walk/run :-)

I am sending you good vibes for a speedy recovery!

Funny how we are all obsessing about certain things....wind, heat, cold, etc. Personally I am having nightmares about swimming in my sleevless wetsuit. I hate feeling constricted. Any tips? I have been practicing with it and the fit is good but I think it is just me!

My perfect scenario is for the water to be warm enough for nooooooo wetsuite :-) but I know that's a super long shot.

Anyway, I sure hope to see you in Panama City!

Alicia

BITE YOUR TONGUE on the wetsuit comment! I need that wetsuit more than anything else in this race. That is what I am counting on
to keep me alive during the swim! That and very calm, unrealistic, water. ))
2014-10-02 9:07 AM

Regular
Jasha,
will look for you on the run; should be right there with ya...walk(mostly)/run. Only goal is to complete

2014-10-02 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by trirun26

:-( boooooooo! Well, how about aquajogging, bone stimulation, walking tio the race....then at the race see how u feel and walk/run :-) I am sending you good vibes for a speedy recovery! Funny how we are all obsessing about certain things....wind, heat, cold, etc. Personally I am having nightmares about swimming in my sleevless wetsuit. I hate feeling constricted. Any tips? I have been practicing with it and the fit is good but I think it is just me! My perfect scenario is for the water to be warm enough for nooooooo wetsuite :-) but I know that's a super long shot. Anyway, I sure hope to see you in Panama City! Alicia

Here's a tip to help with the wetsuit, First start slow - I know that's hard, but try.  Second belly breath.  That really helps me, and actually works better to get you oxygen anyway.  The last couple of years a two or three athletes out of 3000 swam without wetsuits.  Typically the water temperature is in the mid 70's. 

For those of you worrying about it not being wet suit legal, the organizers WANT it to be wet suit legal.  It's like putting 3000 athletes in the water with life preservers.  As a race director the last thing you want is for anyone to get hurt and wetsuits are a huge boost to flotation.  And for me a wetsuit cuts about 5 seconds per 100 yards and really makes me float.  I love it.   I have had that too tight feeling before.

Oh one other tip - be sure to swim in it the day before.  Wetsuits are more flexible and stretchy when they've been wet recently.

2014-10-02 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

and just a mile or so down the beach is Schooners.  They provide this lovely live view of the beach.  The water looks awesome today:  http://www.schooners.com/multimedia/beachcam.htm

Sorry, I twisted off and had to go look.

2014-10-02 2:24 PM
in reply to: mikiefaith

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by mikiefaith I have both a full and sleeveless wetsuits. While visiting my brother in San Diego I swam the La Jolla Cove in just tri shorts. It was my first ocean water swim. When I got out my armpits were raw from the salt and sand rubbing in that area. I will be going full suit just to prevent this so early in the race. Lesson learned.

Even with a full suit, lots of athletes use body glide around their arms where they might rub the wetsuit.  (as well as the neck area)  You don't want any wet suit hickies. 

2014-10-02 2:25 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by marc1estes I am sure you have tired this, but have you used ART yet, it really helped me and my ITBS

ART will not help a stress fracture. At all. Don't waste your time and money

Jasha do the aquajogging/walk training option.  Walk the first 1/2 of the marathon then see if you can go to a walk jog.  Get the bone stimulator!!

As I previously stated although no one seems to care, I am out as I need to have knee surgery.  I was planning to go and walk but I can barely walk right now.  Stairs are out of the question.  I know I cold not even walk up the beach to transition right now. 

I am very sorry you won't be able to race. You have been a huge help on this forum, thanks for all your advice and useful info.
2014-10-03 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands

and just a mile or so down the beach is Schooners.  They provide this lovely live view of the beach.  The water looks awesome today:  http://www.schooners.com/multimedia/beachcam.htm

Yikes, just checked-out this webcam, looks like a great surfing day!

Both my previous IMFL's (2010 & 11) the sea state was horrible the day before the race, but beautiful the morning of, hoping for smooth seas again.

When does everyone arrive, evening of Tues 28th for me, will anyone be around for a 7am swim on Wed 29th

2014-10-03 11:49 AM
in reply to: millarg

User image

Regular
Originally posted by millarg

Yikes, just checked-out this webcam, looks like a great surfing day!

Both my previous IMFL's (2010 & 11) the sea state was horrible the day before the race, but beautiful the morning of, hoping for smooth seas again.

When does everyone arrive, evening of Tues 28th for me, will anyone be around for a 7am swim on Wed 29th

Last year, had the race been scheduled a day earlier, it would have been cancelled. The swim would have been cancelled for sure, and I expect they would have cancelled the entire thing.
2014-10-03 12:43 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mbwallis

Yikes, just checked-out this webcam, looks like a great surfing day! Both my previous IMFL's (2010 & 11) the sea state was horrible the day before the race, but beautiful the morning of, hoping for smooth seas again. When does everyone arrive, evening of Tues 28th for me, will anyone be around for a 7am swim on Wed 29th
Last year, had the race been scheduled a day earlier, it would have been cancelled. The swim would have been cancelled for sure, and I expect they would have cancelled the entire thing.

Day before last year it was pretty gnarly out there. I am a very confident ocean swimmer and I took a friend out to try and teach her how to get thru the breakers.  I went under a wave came up and was staring a 6 foot wall of water coming at me.  It was kind of a WTF moment.  They were announcing a the expo not to bother swimming in the mess because if was like that race day the swim would be canceled.  Fortunately it quieted down.  IT could be 4-6 foot waves or pancake flat.  You just cannot predict what mother nature will do on race day

2014-10-03 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
2014-10-03 2:23 PM

User image

Regular
2014-10-03 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Woooohoooo :-)

I'm 1499

2014-10-03 6:35 PM
in reply to: millarg

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Yikes, just checked-out this webcam, looks like a great surfing day! Both my previous IMFL's (2010 & 11) the sea state was horrible the day before the race, but beautiful the morning of, hoping for smooth seas again. When does everyone arrive, evening of Tues 28th for me, will anyone be around for a 7am swim on Wed 29th

I also arrive on Tuesday evening.  See you on Wednesday morning on the boardwalk behind the Boardwalk hotel just before 7:00.  Now I'm excited.  I love this part of it!   Who's in for the swim. 

We'll swim on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings.

About the wetsuit discomfort come out and play in the water with us, get used to the water, to your wetsuit, and it's always more fun and safer in a group.

2014-10-03 6:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

IMFL athlete number 3006.

Cannot believe it, only four weeks out!  Now I'm nervous and excited.  Wish I had trained for this silly thing.

There are 12 male athletes over 70 years of age participating.  Wow !

Edited by jashac 2014-10-03 6:40 PM
2014-10-03 6:49 PM

User image

New user

West Lafayette
I won't get in until late Wed so I'll swim Thur and Friday. 7 AM
2014-10-04 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

I also arrive on Tuesday evening.  See you on Wednesday morning on the boardwalk behind the Boardwalk hotel just before 7:00.  Now I'm excited.  I love this part of it!   Who's in for the swim. 

We'll swim on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings.

About the wetsuit discomfort come out and play in the water with us, get used to the water, to your wetsuit, and it's always more fun and safer in a group.

Now I am so excited and nervous! Yes! I will be there every am for the swim, can't wait to meet everyone here :-)

Alicia
2014-10-04 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I am 1097. Lucky #12 for me and hopefully "Legacy" status.

2014-10-04 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Training.....who needs training.
2014-10-04 3:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by papson14 Training.....who needs training.

Chris are you going to come swim with us?

Edited by jashac 2014-10-04 3:50 PM
2014-10-04 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I'm going to try. I really haven't caught up on all the threads yet but I'll backtrack this week and see what you guys are planning. I won't be able to get there until Thursday afternoon so if you guys are swimming Friday, I'll be there.
2014-10-05 11:51 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by papson14 I'm going to try. I really haven't caught up on all the threads yet but I'll backtrack this week and see what you guys are planning. I won't be able to get there until Thursday afternoon so if you guys are swimming Friday, I'll be there.

Friday 7:00 am, behind the boardwalk.  See you there.

And as for training, I suppose if you do an Ironman every month they you really don't have to train.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79407 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133386 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180497 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241696 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136693 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!