General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-10-05 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4895018

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
621, if you find yourself following that number - time to pick up the pace cause I'm gonna be slow )

2014-10-06 9:00 AM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jashac

IMFL athlete number 3006.

That's my birthday 30th June )
2014-10-06 10:55 AM
in reply to: millarg

User image

, Alabama
Do we purchase family tickets for the athlete banquet in advance or when we get there?
2014-10-06 11:25 AM
in reply to: TriBeer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TriBeer

Do we purchase family tickets for the athlete banquet in advance or when we get there?

Are you speaking of the pre-event briefing/banquet? if so it is my recollection that this is for athletes only, not tickets available for family/possee.
2014-10-06 12:33 PM

User image

Duluth, GA
You can purchase tickets for the banquet online or at the door. It says that it is first come first serve, as it usually sells out. I didn't go to the banquet last year because I heard that it is very crowded and difficult to find a place to sit. If anyone who went last year can confirm this, please do.

Bill
2014-10-06 1:57 PM
in reply to: yourecrazy

User image

, Alabama
Originally posted by yourecrazy

You can purchase tickets for the banquet online or at the door. It says that it is first come first serve, as it usually sells out. I didn't go to the banquet last year because I heard that it is very crowded and difficult to find a place to sit. If anyone who went last year can confirm this, please do.

Bill

Thanks. I heard its only really enjoyable for first time athletes so I figured I would check it out, but don't really want to abandon my dad.

2014-10-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: yourecrazy

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by yourecrazy You can purchase tickets for the banquet online or at the door. It says that it is first come first serve, as it usually sells out. I didn't go to the banquet last year because I heard that it is very crowded and difficult to find a place to sit. If anyone who went last year can confirm this, please do. Bill #2571

I went the first year I did the race and have not been back with 7 more IMs that I have toed the line at.  Its was miserable and I have not gone to one since.  Crowded, crappy food and they just droned on and on and on. They had my attention for the first 90 minutes.  ITs loud and you can' hear etc etc.  I left before the "mandatory race info" was even given.  I don't do well in crowded spaces with lots of nervous people with a low drone of noise.  ACK makes me shiver just thinking about it. 

2014-10-06 2:15 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Doc Socks top tips for IMFL

1-I have said it many times but use tinted or mirrored goggles on the swim as the sun is rising DIRECTLY in your face
2-Do the practice swims. Stop and look around. Look for landmarks on shore to sight off of. They will be MUCH MUCH easier to see than the buoys esp if there is any chop at all
3-To get past waves dive UNDER them swim as hard as you can to the next one then dive under it
4-Sight off your landmarks to prevent seasickness. Buildings don’t move
5-Be careful biking along front beach road. If there is strong wind off the water the condos act like wind tunnels and it can take your bike out from under you
6-Thank all the police officers and volunteers
7-Be prepared for cold or warm weather. It is far more likely to be colder rather than warmer. Get some throw away layers for the bike.
8-If you will be a late finisher (like me) Or finish after dark (I think sunset is 6ish) put a light for your cap in your SN bag because its PITCH BLACK in the state park
9-Put a wind breaker or long sleeved tech shirt in you run SN bag too because it can get cold out there
10-Go to Liza’s kitchen for lunch one day its great.
11-Go to mellow mushroom
12-HAVE FUN!!!! Seriously most of us are not going to win or place so enjoy the day!!!
13-I have a wet wash cloth in a zip lock in my T2 bag to wash the outer layer of grime off before starting the marathon. You can use those diaper wipes too
14-I also have one of those disposable toothbrushes because after 112 miles of sugar you have little sweater coats on your Teeth
15-In general I advise against full wardrobe changes. Its hard to change tight clothes when you are wet and I know of NO ONE after reading IM race reports who has done a full change and been happy about it. No matter what you do you are going to be grimey and gross just wrap your head around it and move on. That said do as you like
16-My coach says put something to look forward to in your run SN bag. It can be a favorite food, a picture whatever. It gives you something to try to get to the first lap of the marathon.
17-Put your things in the T1 and T2 bags in giant (2 gallon) ziplock bags. I have a must have bag and a might need bag. The volunteers (God bless them) Sometimes dump all your stuff on the floor and it can scatter. Also the bags will be on the ground overnight and if it rains your stuff won’t get wet.
18-I have snack size ziplocks for the run with tums, and bandaids
19-I also have a roll of tums in my bento box on the bike
20-Have fun and make friends!!!! Seriously soak it all in and enjoy the day because its great fun

So sorry I won’t be there this year but I will be back to fight again next year.

2014-10-06 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Great advise from Doc Sue!

I followed her out through the breakers last year and learned the trick.

2014-10-06 3:16 PM

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Originally posted by Socks

1-I have said it many times but use tinted or mirrored goggles on the swim as the sun is rising DIRECTLY in your face
2-Do the practice swims. Stop and look around. Look for landmarks on shore to sight off of. They will be MUCH MUCH easier to see than the buoys esp if there is any chop at all
3-To get past waves dive UNDER them swim as hard as you can to the next one then dive under it
5-Be careful biking along front beach road. If there is strong wind off the water the condos act like wind tunnels and it can take your bike out from under you
7-Be prepared for cold or warm weather. It is far more likely to be colder rather than warmer. Get some throw away layers for the bike.
8-If you will be a late finisher (like me) Or finish after dark (I think sunset is 6ish) put a light for your cap in your SN bag because its PITCH BLACK in the state park
9-Put a wind breaker or long sleeved tech shirt in you run SN bag too because it can get cold out there
11-Go to mellow mushroom
12-HAVE FUN!!!! Seriously most of us are not going to win or place so enjoy the day!!!
13-I have a wet wash cloth in a zip lock in my T2 bag to wash the outer layer of grime off before starting the marathon. You can use those diaper wipes too
14-I also have one of those disposable toothbrushes because after 112 miles of sugar you have little sweater coats on your Teeth
15-In general I advise against full wardrobe changes. Its hard to change tight clothes when you are wet and I know of NO ONE after reading IM race reports who has done a full change and been happy about it. No matter what you do you are going to be grimey and gross just wrap your head around it and move on. That said do as you like
16-My coach says put something to look forward to in your run SN bag. It can be a favorite food, a picture whatever. It gives you something to try to get to the first lap of the marathon.
17-Put your things in the T1 and T2 bags in giant (2 gallon) ziplock bags. I have a must have bag and a might need bag. The volunteers (God bless them) Sometimes dump all your stuff on the floor and it can scatter. Also the bags will be on the ground overnight and if it rains your stuff won’t get wet.
20-Have fun and make friends!!!! Seriously soak it all in and enjoy the day because its great fun

So sorry I won’t be there this year but I will be back to fight again next year.

What a great list especially for a first timer like your truly. Do a drug test on the docs before your surgery (your comment about the previous one)
Thanks again for the tips!

(by the -- Bib # 2950!! - over 150 M55 - 59)
2014-10-06 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by Socks

11-Go to mellow mushroom

So

sorry I won’t be there this year but I will be back to fight again next year.

Wow! Awesome Dr. socks :-)

Thank you for taking the time to do this for us :-) it is greatly appreciated.

Good luck on your surgery and hoping for a quick recovery so u can come back with a vengeance :-)

Thanks again,

Alicia

2014-10-07 9:59 AM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Thanks for those amazing tips Socks !
2014-10-07 12:03 PM
in reply to: dge12

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dge12

Thanks for those amazing tips Socks !

Great info Socks thanks, my top tip is about socks - literally.

Go to Target (not Walmart - I'm a conscientious objector) and get a pack of 5 pairs of long tube socks.

Pairs 1 thro 3, wear in layers on the beach - that sand in freezing and you'll probably be standing on it for 15-20 mins

Pair 4, wear as gloves on beach, discard pairs 1 thro 4 by banners on beach (wearing for the swim is discouraged and probably against IM rules

Pair 5 - cut the toes off - they are now disposable arm warmers for first few miles of bike.

All for $8-10 (probably less at Walmart!)

2014-10-08 1:19 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by millarg
Originally posted by dge12 Thanks for those amazing tips Socks !
Great info Socks thanks, my top tip is about socks - literally. Go to Target (not Walmart - I'm a conscientious objector) and get a pack of 5 pairs of long tube socks. Pairs 1 thro 3, wear in layers on the beach - that sand in freezing and you'll probably be standing on it for 15-20 mins Pair 4, wear as gloves on beach, discard pairs 1 thro 4 by banners on beach (wearing for the swim is discouraged and probably against IM rules Pair 5 - cut the toes off - they are now disposable arm warmers for first few miles of bike. All for $8-10 (probably less at Walmart!)

I hate Wal mart too Glen   THe socks are a good tip. 

I also have a pair of those $1 stretchy gloves you get at target or walmart for the bike.  You can throw them away without feeling bad about it.  Not sure if they would stretch enough for a guys hands but would work for most women.  My coach also said you can put a newspaper in your shirt to stop the wind and throw that off.

2014-10-09 8:21 AM

When surfing I go under the waves. You have to do so to get anywhere. However, when I tried this while swimming my goggles definitely came off multiple times. Luckily they get pushed down and not up so they stay around your neck. There has to be a trick to this
2014-10-09 11:17 AM
in reply to: mikiefaith

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mikiefaith When surfing I go under the waves. You have to do so to get anywhere. However, when I tried this while swimming my goggles definitely came off multiple times. Luckily they get pushed down and not up so they stay around your neck. There has to be a trick to this

I have never had my goggles come off.  Duck your head down maybe?

2014-10-09 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by millarg 621, if you find yourself following that number - time to pick up the pace cause I'm gonna be slow )

I did a bike tour last weekend.  You know you're slow when you get passed by a butterfly. 

2014-10-10 12:25 PM

I am super guilty of looking at the accuweather forecast for the big day. I know it is 3 weeks out but I would love the cold temps it forecasts.
2014-10-10 12:29 PM
in reply to: mikiefaith

Originally posted by mikiefaith

I am super guilty of looking at the accuweather forecast for the big day. I know it is 3 weeks out but I would love the cold temps it forecasts.

Haha. I hit refresh and the temp went up 10 degrees for the high and low
2014-10-11 7:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by mikiefaith

Haha. I hit refresh and the temp went up 10 degrees for the high and low

You are cursed ... and forbidden to look at the weather from now on !
Dont make it worse for the rest of us. :-)

On another note i have completed my longest run in the plan, 20 miles in 3 hours 1 minute. I am doing great and hope you guys are doing just as good. Please tell !

Edited by dge12 2014-10-11 7:53 AM
2014-10-11 6:12 PM
in reply to: dge12

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by dge12
Originally posted by mikiefaith Haha. I hit refresh and the temp went up 10 degrees for the high and low
You are cursed ... and forbidden to look at the weather from now on ! Dont make it worse for the rest of us. :-) On another note i have completed my longest run in the plan, 20 miles in 3 hours 1 minute. I am doing great and hope you guys are doing just as good. Please tell !

Just finished my last huge day.  11.5 hours start to finish.  110 miles on the bike.  Windy so 7.5 hours, Not running so I walked an hour, and 4900 yards in the pool.  Good thing tomorrow is a rest day! 

THREE weeks left, it's taper time.   Ready or not, IMFL here we come! 

2014-10-11 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
5 hours on the trainer for me Good times, good times.

2014-10-13 3:49 PM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Last night at 1100pm I finished my long week. We did our 6 hour bike on Fri then was to run at 5 am Sat for our 20.. It was raining and my partner and I decided to wait till Sun. Well.... didnt realize that she couldnt run till later in the evening. So we started late and ran our neighborhood (about 3 miles) till we did the 20. So glad that week is over. Only missed a short swim and 5 mile run due to working 12 hour shifts. All in all feel pretty good about IM!! Enjoy the taper everyone!!!
2014-10-13 3:56 PM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
My Bib is 1527 and my training partner Dotti is 1530!! Are you all swimming Thurs? We will be in town Wed afternoon. We rented a house over on Dement Cir.
2014-10-14 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4895018

User image

Was feeling terrific after last Monday/Tuesday. Mon I had a 5 hour bike followed by a 7 mile run and felt AMAZING!! Tues swam long and felt good, too. Then, went on VACA for 5 days and only had resources for running. Cut my long run of 3 hours down to 1:30 due to time constraints. This hit my condidence HARD. I did have 2 runs over 19 miles but that was at least 10 days ago.
Does anyone feel like the long bike rides cause you to lose some confidence in your speed on the bike? I only avg 16.8-18.2 on my long rides. Feel like my 4 hour ride this week needs some speed!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79403 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133382 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180495 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241692 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136689 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!