General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-12-11 10:08 AM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
Originally posted by trirun26

Stopping by to wish all future Florida Ironmans a healthy and wonderful holidays!

So what is everyone doing this month for training? any jingle bell runs?

I am still not able to run as my foot is healing and I do not want to go backwards.....but I am swimming and biking as well as doing some upper body strength classes.

Wishing everyone an awesome day!

Alicia

Hope you have a healthy and happy Holiday season as well. And, here's to your foot healing up quickly!
I am going to strength classes twice a week but lots of squats, lunges, and abs. Also, hitting the trainer two
times per week and the pool two times per week starting this past week. I always run and that's sort of what I enjoy
most. Can be a problem. I have been running about 25 miles per week so nothing crazy. Try to do an 8-12 miler
every Saturday but in Des Moines the temps have been REALLY COLD. It was -15 windchill last weekend so I only
got in 8 miles and was pretty cold. Does anyone do long trainer rides? There's so much conflicting info on this. I try
to do QUALITY rides for about an hour to 1:15 at a time with hill or speed intervals. Haven't ridden more than 2 hours
ever on my trainer. Would love some input on this. I know it probably depends on your background, coaching,
books you've read, etc. Just not sure. THANKS!

2013-12-11 11:19 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

New user

Annapolis, Maryland
I do 90% of my bike rides on the trainer. I have 4 small kids and don't want to miss soccer/karate/gymnastics.... I get up early on the weekends and finish before the cool stuff starts. On those big weeks, I will be up and on the bike around 4am so I can knock out the 6 hour ride. I'll go out a few times as a race nears just to change it up but inside is easier for me time wise and harder on the ride and mental side.

Just getting the right stuff to watch or listen to on the bike is important, fans, towels under the bike, nutrition.....
2013-12-11 11:26 AM
in reply to: papson13

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
That last post was mine, not my wife's. But you can see my 4 babies, and my wife, in her avatar
2013-12-11 12:04 PM
in reply to: papson13

User image

Originally posted by papson13

I do 90% of my bike rides on the trainer. I have 4 small kids and don't want to miss soccer/karate/gymnastics.... I get up early on the weekends and finish before the cool stuff starts. On those big weeks, I will be up and on the bike around 4am so I can knock out the 6 hour ride. I'll go out a few times as a race nears just to change it up but inside is easier for me time wise and harder on the ride and mental side.

Just getting the right stuff to watch or listen to on the bike is important, fans, towels under the bike, nutrition.....

Okay, seriously, you must have a very STRONG mind! I know athletes doing these things have to but I cannot even IMAGINE being on
my trainer for 6 hours! I give you major kudos for that. I am with you, though, I don't want to miss sports. That is why I choose Florida. We have some down time from softball tournaments in the fall. Most of my 5-6 hour rides will be in August-October. I will do lots of 3-4 hour rides and will be riding by 5:00 AM, too. Ugh, but it allows us to get it in and still make kids' sporting events. I look forward to hearing about your training!
ON those long rides do you mainly just RIDE or do you do intervals with speed, hills, etc? I wouldn't even know how to approach that!
2013-12-11 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Having toe joint surgery  (second toe where it meets the foot)  on Monday-  getting joint replaced.     really looking forward to this.    This thing has really derailed my running.  

6 week recovery then I am READY for  my training journey to IM-FL!!!!        WOOT!

On the what can I do NOW?   its shed weight.  leaner meaner.  Then 6 weeks after the surgery I will work on the better, faster, stronger part. 

2013-12-11 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by midwesttrimom
Originally posted by papson13 I do 90% of my bike rides on the trainer. I have 4 small kids and don't want to miss soccer/karate/gymnastics.... I get up early on the weekends and finish before the cool stuff starts. On those big weeks, I will be up and on the bike around 4am so I can knock out the 6 hour ride. I'll go out a few times as a race nears just to change it up but inside is easier for me time wise and harder on the ride and mental side. Just getting the right stuff to watch or listen to on the bike is important, fans, towels under the bike, nutrition.....
Okay, seriously, you must have a very STRONG mind! I know athletes doing these things have to but I cannot even IMAGINE being on my trainer for 6 hours! I give you major kudos for that. I am with you, though, I don't want to miss sports. That is why I choose Florida. We have some down time from softball tournaments in the fall. Most of my 5-6 hour rides will be in August-October. I will do lots of 3-4 hour rides and will be riding by 5:00 AM, too. Ugh, but it allows us to get it in and still make kids' sporting events. I look forward to hearing about your training! ON those long rides do you mainly just RIDE or do you do intervals with speed, hills, etc? I wouldn't even know how to approach that!

I do a lot of trainer riding too. I have a coach who sets my plan for me as far as intervals etc.  I have done many 60-80-100 mile rides on the trainer mostly because I am a doctor and when I am on call I can't be miles away on my bike and its a huge PITA to have to quick stop and grab the phone before it stops ringing.  I do all my weekday riding on the trainer and try to get outside for the longer rides buts its call schedule dependent.  Its safer to do those early morning rides inside than out.  Andy Potts is a pro who does almost ALL his bike training on the trainer after nearly being killed by a semi.  It can be done.  A fan a TV and a lot of magazines help

2013-12-13 1:11 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Happy Holidays Athletes!

2013-12-13 8:05 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I've done long rides where I'll do part on the road then finish up on the trainer on sidelines watching a HS soccer game which is often over 1.5 hours. At first parents and athletes thought I was weird but after a time or two they just accepted it.

2013-12-14 9:53 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Originally posted by KathyG

I've done long rides where I'll do part on the road then finish up on the trainer on sidelines watching a HS soccer game which is often over 1.5 hours. At first parents and athletes thought I was weird but after a time or two they just accepted it.

I love this idea. I am lucky enough that I live in a place that connects to some pretty long trails. I am also in a very rural area. We meet
up as a group during the week and typically ride 2-3 rides of 20-40 miles. Then, if I plan to go on from there I hit a trail and take
off on my own. I like to mix it up and ride some with people and some alone so I can pace myself better. I, however, love your idea.
I know there will be LOTS of days where I can only get in 3 hours outdoors and then another 2-3 inside in my basement. I think
you have to be creative and flexible if you are have other things going on! Everyone has their own style and what works best for them!

Thanks!
2013-12-14 9:58 AM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by oriolepwr

Having toe joint surgery  (second toe where it meets the foot)  on Monday-  getting joint replaced.     really looking forward to this.    This thing has really derailed my running.  

6 week recovery then I am READY for  my training journey to IM-FL!!!!        WOOT!

On the what can I do NOW?   its shed weight.  leaner meaner.  Then 6 weeks after the surgery I will work on the better, faster, stronger part. 

Let's all wish Dave a successful toe joint surgery on Monday! And of course a quick recovery so you can kick butt in Florida! :-)

Wooooot wooooot

Crossing all my fingers and toes for you!

((((Hugs)))))

Alicia
2013-12-18 6:47 AM

Hello all!

I have been in the shadows reading along. This will be my first IMFL after two IMTX finishes. I love IMTX due to the difficulty level but I have been dealing with a 6 month long hamstring issue in both legs and didn't sign up this year. I’ve been reduced to little to no activity at all. But I am happy to not be training during my soccer coaching season on top of teaching. Guess I will be traded my time and cool training temps for my summer vacation and heat and humidity here in Houston. I laughed at the idea of the trainer at the soccer games because I would be on my trainer in the pressbox of my jv games as I ran the scoreboard.

Regardless, I know a lot of people don't enjoy the trainer but I am a firm believer in it. This year at IMTX it was hotter and the wind was about 5 mph stronger. They also laid down a very rough 10 mile stretch of chip seal that slowed your speed down 1-1.5 mph. The year before I did little to no trainer rides. This year I did over 90% of rides on the trainer and the results were great! Yes that included 4-6 hour rides on the trainer. My bike time was 1mph faster than last year. It would have been around 1.5 mph faster but you have to include the time it took to change a rear flat which I am guessing to be in the 3-5 minute range.

I do enjoy being on the road. Nothing beats it where I ride. However, on a trainer I have an endless supply of drink and food, a bathroom available, can focus more on pedaling than worrying about cars. In my opinion you have to have a legitimate fan, a towel on your aerobars/top tube to catch sweat, and a lot of movies with a laptop or a way to plug in headphones. I had all of my food and drink laid out for the entire ride on the counter or on a chair next to me. If I had to ride 4.5 hours I found 2-3 movies that matched up to the time I needed to ride. Honestly, it never felt like I was on the bike for hours. For me, I put the resistance a little higher than normal and tried to average a certain speed since I don’t have a power meter. I always made sure the tire pressure and resistance was the same to keep things consistent from ride to ride. I think the biggest benefit was that I had to pedal all the time to keep and reach the desired avg mph.

2013-12-18 8:05 AM
in reply to: mikiefaith

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mikiefaith Hello all! I have been in the shadows reading along. This will be my first IMFL after two IMTX finishes. I love IMTX due to the difficulty level but I have been dealing with a 6 month long hamstring issue in both legs and didn't sign up this year. I’ve been reduced to little to no activity at all. But I am happy to not be training during my soccer coaching season on top of teaching. Guess I will be traded my time and cool training temps for my summer vacation and heat and humidity here in Houston. I laughed at the idea of the trainer at the soccer games because I would be on my trainer in the pressbox of my jv games as I ran the scoreboard. Regardless, I know a lot of people don't enjoy the trainer but I am a firm believer in it. This year at IMTX it was hotter and the wind was about 5 mph stronger. They also laid down a very rough 10 mile stretch of chip seal that slowed your speed down 1-1.5 mph. The year before I did little to no trainer rides. This year I did over 90% of rides on the trainer and the results were great! Yes that included 4-6 hour rides on the trainer. My bike time was 1mph faster than last year. It would have been around 1.5 mph faster but you have to include the time it took to change a rear flat which I am guessing to be in the 3-5 minute range. I do enjoy being on the road. Nothing beats it where I ride. However, on a trainer I have an endless supply of drink and food, a bathroom available, can focus more on pedaling than worrying about cars. In my opinion you have to have a legitimate fan, a towel on your aerobars/top tube to catch sweat, and a lot of movies with a laptop or a way to plug in headphones. I had all of my food and drink laid out for the entire ride on the counter or on a chair next to me. If I had to ride 4.5 hours I found 2-3 movies that matched up to the time I needed to ride. Honestly, it never felt like I was on the bike for hours. For me, I put the resistance a little higher than normal and tried to average a certain speed since I don’t have a power meter. I always made sure the tire pressure and resistance was the same to keep things consistent from ride to ride. I think the biggest benefit was that I had to pedal all the time to keep and reach the desired avg mph.

I totally agree with you.  A fan, some movies, some magazines and some towels.  Good to go.  Not going to get run over by a car.  FL will be cooler than Texas for you but the terrain is pretty much the same.  Wind is a crap shoot at IMFL. 

2013-12-18 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by mikiefaith Hello all! I have been in the shadows reading along. This will be my first IMFL after two IMTX finishes. I love IMTX due to the difficulty level but I have been dealing with a 6 month long hamstring issue in both legs and didn't sign up this year. I’ve been reduced to little to no activity at all. But I am happy to not be training during my soccer coaching season on top of teaching. Guess I will be traded my time and cool training temps for my summer vacation and heat and humidity here in Houston. I laughed at the idea of the trainer at the soccer games because I would be on my trainer in the pressbox of my jv games as I ran the scoreboard. Regardless, I know a lot of people don't enjoy the trainer but I am a firm believer in it. This year at IMTX it was hotter and the wind was about 5 mph stronger. They also laid down a very rough 10 mile stretch of chip seal that slowed your speed down 1-1.5 mph. The year before I did little to no trainer rides. This year I did over 90% of rides on the trainer and the results were great! Yes that included 4-6 hour rides on the trainer. My bike time was 1mph faster than last year. It would have been around 1.5 mph faster but you have to include the time it took to change a rear flat which I am guessing to be in the 3-5 minute range. I do enjoy being on the road. Nothing beats it where I ride. However, on a trainer I have an endless supply of drink and food, a bathroom available, can focus more on pedaling than worrying about cars. In my opinion you have to have a legitimate fan, a towel on your aerobars/top tube to catch sweat, and a lot of movies with a laptop or a way to plug in headphones. I had all of my food and drink laid out for the entire ride on the counter or on a chair next to me. If I had to ride 4.5 hours I found 2-3 movies that matched up to the time I needed to ride. Honestly, it never felt like I was on the bike for hours. For me, I put the resistance a little higher than normal and tried to average a certain speed since I don’t have a power meter. I always made sure the tire pressure and resistance was the same to keep things consistent from ride to ride. I think the biggest benefit was that I had to pedal all the time to keep and reach the desired avg mph.

I totally agree with you.  A fan, some movies, some magazines and some towels.  Good to go.  Not going to get run over by a car.  FL will be cooler than Texas for you but the terrain is pretty much the same.  Wind is a crap shoot at IMFL. 

My friend who has done IMTX and IMFL said Florida was so much faster than he thought it would be. At texas you are getting out of the water for the bike and the temps are already in the mid 80's and after mile 56 on the bike you do have a negative elevation gain on the bike but a headwind all the way back to town. When you start the run it is in the 90's and i know this year the heat index was over 100. It is so hard to run a good marathon in those temps. So I am looking forward to a wetsuit (but not saltwater) swim, a flat bike, and a flat run with temps in the 60s/70s.
2013-12-18 11:26 AM
in reply to: mikiefaith

Regular
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by mikiefaith

Originally posted by Socks

My friend who has done IMTX and IMFL said Florida was so much faster than he thought it would be. At texas you are getting out of the water for the bike and the temps are already in the mid 80's and after mile 56 on the bike you do have a negative elevation gain on the bike but a headwind all the way back to town. When you start the run it is in the 90's and i know this year the heat index was over 100. It is so hard to run a good marathon in those temps. So I am looking forward to a wetsuit (but not saltwater) swim, a flat bike, and a flat run with temps in the 60s/70s.

I've done both and am signed up for IMTX and IMFL next year. I loved racing FL and TX is in my backyard so I'm going back.

IMFL is much faster. The water for the swim at FL was a little choppy but its wetsuit legal and its not as compact a space so the battle royale of the first 500 meters isn't as bad. The bike for FL is more flat but more importantly done at 60 to 70 degrees rather than 80's to 90's. Also the roads are in better shape and a lot less traffic to contend with at FL although I haven't done TX in 3 years so they may have changed that a bit. The run courses are a wash other than the temp which is a substantial difference. Crowd support is great at both. However you can't overstate the impact of the heat and the need for heat acclimation for IMTX.

Having said that, my IMTX was such a disaster and IMFL was so much fun I may be overstating how much harder it actually was.
2013-12-29 10:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Hoping everyone has a healthy and happy 2014!

Cheers to hearing "you are an ironman" in November!

Happy training,

Alicia

Edited by trirun26 2013-12-29 10:47 AM
2013-12-30 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

2013 is drawing to a close.   Can't wait for it to go away.     

I'm sitting here in a hard cast 2 weeks post toe joint surgery.    Friday cast comes off then in boot for 2 more weeks.  Then POOL!

I have boxes surrounding me from our move to our new house (much smaller)   with about 45 house projects now staring me in the face. 

I'm about 20 pounds over my intended race weight for IM-FL  

I have a massive business project that is coming shortly, and will occupy much time.

much much more that I will not get into here.   

IM-FL will be a huge HUGE victory celebration day that not only will be about "The distance"  but about triumph in so many areas of my life.      I am game for this. and will enjoy the journey. 

This is a graphic pic that sums up what 2013 was for me. 

2013-12-30 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Originally posted by trirun26 Hoping everyone has a healthy and happy 2014! Cheers to hearing "you are an ironman" in November! Happy training, Alicia

Absolutely Alicia!  Happy training  this is going to be a fun 2014!   And an amazing vacation!   Can't wait!

2013-12-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Is losing weight is one of your new years resolutions?

Food logging what you eat with a group that shares recipes tips. is a good way to do it.   

Me and Alicia have a facebook group (2014 Food logger bloggers) that intends on logging every single thing we eat, everyday in 2014.   If this type of OCD thing makes you feel like screaming   I WANT IN!!!!    then here is a link to the group.     (we use Myfitnesspal  but you can use BT or whatever logging site you want)

Heck you might even make new friends out of it!        We had a bunch of fun with it in last years version.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/257631971057495/

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-12-30 12:27 PM
2013-12-31 11:37 AM

User image

Originally posted by oriolepwr

2013 is drawing to a close.   Can't wait for it to go away.     

I'm sitting here in a hard cast 2 weeks post toe joint surgery.    Friday cast comes off then in boot for 2 more weeks.  Then POOL!

I have boxes surrounding me from our move to our new house (much smaller)   with about 45 house projects now staring me in the face. 

I'm about 20 pounds over my intended race weight for IM-FL  

I have a massive business project that is coming shortly, and will occupy much time.

much much more that I will not get into here.   

IM-FL will be a huge HUGE victory celebration day that not only will be about "The distance"  but about triumph in so many areas of my life.      I am game for this. and will enjoy the journey. 

This is a graphic pic that sums up what 2013 was for me. 

Sounds like you have a plate full. Moving and toe surgery are both big things on top of everything else! I hope all goes well and I am also really looking forward to the journey towards IMFL 2014. Very excited!

Happy New Year to all of you!
2014-01-03 9:24 PM

User image

Mckinney, Texas
Happy New Year everyone!

This will be my first IM!
Didn't know if I would make it during the registration, but I did! Then I was like...oh WOW, time to start training!
Nervous and excited at the same time.

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou! (Happy New Year in Hawaiian)
2014-01-14 5:58 PM
in reply to: elppaym

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

No New Messages?

What are you guys up to?  Anyone training?

I'm skiing as much as possible, and have just started to get back to running .  Trying the run a mile every day for a week thing.  so far, so good Three days under my belt.  Haven't really been on the bike since last November though.  That needs to change too, but the traffic here has gotten real bad with an economic boom underway.  I need to leave the house at 5:30 am and see if that gets me out of town before the traffic. 

So, what are you doing?

2014-01-14 7:35 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Daphne, AL
I have been training for a sprint at the end of April and one mid May. Most of my runs are ~4 miles, rides are ~20 miles, and I usually swim a mile a week. I'm trying to keep the volume low but build a base for when I start training for IMFL.
2014-01-15 5:19 AM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by jashac

No New Messages?

What are you guys up to?  Anyone training?

I'm skiing as much as possible, and have just started to get back to running .  Trying the run a mile every day for a week thing.  so far, so good Three days under my belt.  Haven't really been on the bike since last November though.  That needs to change too, but the traffic here has gotten real bad with an economic boom underway.  I need to leave the house at 5:30 am and see if that gets me out of town before the traffic. 

So, what are you doing?

Hi! Yeah the thread is kind if slow at this time but I believe it will pick up :-)

I have been biking on the weekends anywhere from 25-40 which is my usual. The weather has been very windy but that is not unusual. I have also been swimming with the masters team in my area which is awesome, I just love it! We are doing a 5k open water swim in April.

As for running.....hmmmmm.....still no running, just started walking "long" as I am still letting my foot heal. I really don't want to go backwards with this!

What else.....oh yeah I signed up for Augusta 70.3 :-) woooohooooo

I am hoping to have an awesome year! I am coming up to my 2 year anniversary of being cancer free :-) thank God!

Well, that's my update.....let's see what everyone else is up to

Alicia
2014-01-15 11:01 AM

User image

New user

Starting to crank up as well. Up to about 15mi/week running, 50mi/week biking, and 2-3mi/week swimming. I have Boise on June 7, and then Augusta the end of September, with some running races thrown in for good measure. We just made our hotel reservations, staying at the Majestic Beach Resort, which I guess is about 1mi from the finish. I can tell it's going to be a looooong year!
2014-01-15 12:49 PM
in reply to: ncandersen

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Hi everyone!!  Christmas week was stupid busy for me because I was on call all week which sucked duck eggs.  Then I went to visit my fiance in MI an there was too much snow on the ground to run outside not to mention it as bloody cold.  Came back and trying to get on track but I am off to another meeting this week.  ACK.  I have a 1/2 marathon in a couple weeks I am grossly under trained for but what ever I will muddle thru.  Even on a good day I am dead slow anyway Maybe I will find my mojo in Napa this weekend

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79476 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133428 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180548 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241848 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136737 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!