General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-01-29 6:23 AM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
Where is everyone?

How is everyone doing? Anyone doing any upcoming races?

I signed up for Augusta 70.3, looking forward to it. It will be great practice for me to swim with a wetsuit as I much prefer to swim without one.

This is a pretty slow forum for florida IM! I hope it picks up so we can pick each others brain. Anyone here on the IM Florida Facebook page?

Stay warm and safe training,

Alicia

2014-01-29 10:16 AM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I'm in the middle of ski season.

I chide myself each morning for not getting out and doing any s/b/r.  Think I'm having a motivation slump.

2014-01-29 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I'm building towards an April 70.3, and IMTX. One thing I didn't anticipate with signing up for 4 IMs was all the BT'ing I'd have to do to keep up with everyone. Holy crap, too much typing.

Train Safe.
2014-01-31 2:01 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

I started my training for my spring Olympic tri this week. First full week went well. Cut out my weight lifting so missing that, but still hitting the abs. I swam 3 times (fairly solid swims), have had two solid bike workouts, and will have 4 runs after tomorrow. I am excited to actually have something in place so I have some goals. Will head from the Olympic into my Chisago Lake (MN) HIM training schedule and from that I will dive into the IM training. Looking forward to a rewarding 9 months! Cannot wait to get a feel for some of the long bike rides. That part is new to me so I am nervous, excited, scared about fitting it all in, etc. Can't wait to hear what others are doing right now!
2014-02-03 8:13 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

What am I doing? Trying to find my mojo.  It was a tough holiday season.  I did a decent for me 10K this weekend. I am dead slow on a good day but I feel solid about the race.  I have an oly at the end of April I need to get serious about.  Mostly just feeling fat and icky.  Trying to decide it I should go try crossfit again...my first experience was not so goo, or just to the tapout XP videos I have at home.  I hate strength training but I understand its importance.  Its just not my thing. 

2014-02-03 8:39 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Originally posted by Socks

What am I doing? Trying to find my mojo.  It was a tough holiday season.  I did a decent for me 10K this weekend. I am dead slow on a good day but I feel solid about the race.  I have an oly at the end of April I need to get serious about.  Mostly just feeling fat and icky.  Trying to decide it I should go try crossfit again...my first experience was not so goo, or just to the tapout XP videos I have at home.  I hate strength training but I understand its importance.  Its just not my thing. 

I agree 100%. Rough holiday season here, too. I have certainly gained 5-7 pounds, have had sick kids, and I have had the stomach flu and a nasty cold. Threw a vacation in there and yep, I am with you! We can do this! Lets get back on track! Great job on your race. Sounds like that went well for you. Not sure I could pull off something to be proud of right now!

2014-02-03 2:47 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by midwesttrimom

I agree 100%. Rough holiday season here, too. I have certainly gained 5-7 pounds, have had sick kids, and I have had the stomach flu and a nasty cold. Threw a vacation in there and yep, I am with you! We can do this! Lets get back on track! Great job on your race. Sounds like that went well for you. Not sure I could pull off something to be proud of right now!
  Thanks. There are not too many people capable of running slower than me so I bet you would have kicked my butt.  Will swim on the way home from work. 

2014-02-03 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
I'm eating ice cream right now... Why am I eating ice cream?!? Because this guy just had his tonsils removed on Friday! :-) Plus they shrunk my uvula down a bit and knocked off some of the back of my tongue to help me breathe...

In November they removed my adenoids and did a full roto-rooter job on my nose to open up the airways..

And here it is Monday, and I'm already back at work. Modern medicine is truly amazing. I could tell a huge difference after having my nose roto-rootered, and can't wait to see the results that opening up the throat will provide. Better sleep, more efficient breathing during training. I know my performance has been pretty rotten over the past years because I've always had to make such an effort to breathe. I was finally in a place in life where I could give the 'ole engine a tune up and upgrade. So no training right now.

Did squeeze out a half marathon during a trip to Maui a few weeks ago which was fun, but I went super slow and made sure it was for fun and not for time. I have about 2-3 weeks of recovery from this then I'm excited to start hitting the pool again...

So there's my winter schedule.
2014-02-04 1:03 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by julio26pt2 I'm eating ice cream right now... Why am I eating ice cream?!? Because this guy just had his tonsils removed on Friday! :-) Plus they shrunk my uvula down a bit and knocked off some of the back of my tongue to help me breathe... In November they removed my adenoids and did a full roto-rooter job on my nose to open up the airways.. And here it is Monday, and I'm already back at work. Modern medicine is truly amazing. I could tell a huge difference after having my nose roto-rootered, and can't wait to see the results that opening up the throat will provide. Better sleep, more efficient breathing during training. I know my performance has been pretty rotten over the past years because I've always had to make such an effort to breathe. I was finally in a place in life where I could give the 'ole engine a tune up and upgrade. So no training right now. Did squeeze out a half marathon during a trip to Maui a few weeks ago which was fun, but I went super slow and made sure it was for fun and not for time. I have about 2-3 weeks of recovery from this then I'm excited to start hitting the pool again... So there's my winter schedule.
  Hope you are feeling better soon!!!  Tonsilectomy is no walk in the park for an adult!

2014-02-05 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ocean City
I am just starting my outseason building to an olympic in June. I got some warm surf in this winter so im refreshed and ready to think about IM Florida!
2014-02-06 1:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by julio26pt2

I'm eating ice cream right now... Why am I eating ice cream?!? Because this guy just had his tonsils removed on Friday! :-) Plus they shrunk my uvula down a bit and knocked off some of the back of my tongue to help me breathe...

In November they removed my adenoids and did a full roto-rooter job on my nose to open up the airways..

And here it is Monday, and I'm already back at work. Modern medicine is truly amazing. I could tell a huge difference after having my nose roto-rootered, and can't wait to see the results that opening up the throat will provide. Better sleep, more efficient breathing during training. I know my performance has been pretty rotten over the past years because I've always had to make such an effort to breathe. I was finally in a place in life where I could give the 'ole engine a tune up and upgrade. So no training right now.

Did squeeze out a half marathon during a trip to Maui a few weeks ago which was fun, but I went super slow and made sure it was for fun and not for time. I have about 2-3 weeks of recovery from this then I'm excited to start hitting the pool again...

Hope you feel better soon! I had the sinus surgery, rebreaking of my nose, clearing out (roto-rooting) of the sinuses, removal of a nickel-sized cyst on one side, etc. about 7 years ago. I felt really good for a few years and now have had 5 sinus infections in the last 6 months. My goal is to get back into the ENT before I start HIM training. I hate sinus issues. Yours sound much worse than mine. Take care of yourself and use that Neti pot if they recommended it!! I stopped and I swear that's when things went bad again! I am now back to it but it's tough to do every day with life, training, kids, etc. Hope your breathing is much better this season!

2014-02-06 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ocean City
Hey Guys,
I created a facebook page for people to follow my training and donations page for Ironman Florida. Feel free to check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matts-Childrens-Tumor-Foundation-Fund...
2014-02-07 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Thanks for the good wishes!

The healing is going remarkably well. Throat gets a little sore at night when i'm sleeping, but during the day it's feeling a ton better. I had the post-surgery followup yesterday and they said it's looking good. Not going to push recovery on this and do something stupid, but I'm really ready to get back in the pool/bike as soon as possible!
2014-02-08 6:40 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Thanks for the good wishes!

The healing is going remarkably well. Throat gets a little sore at night when i'm sleeping, but during the day it's feeling a ton better. I had the post-surgery followup yesterday and they said it's looking good. Not going to push recovery on this and do something stupid, but I'm really ready to get back in the pool/bike as soon as possible!

Awesome! So glad you are healing well :-) as "socks" said this surgery is not easy for an adult!

Keep recovering and happy swimming......soon ;-)

Alicia
2014-02-08 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Glad everyone is doing great!

I have my first even in April which is a 5k swim and I am so looking forward to it! Been swimming a lot with my local masters team :-)

Biking I a going great but my running is still limited at this time due to my foot recovering from the injury I had on my tendon. It feels almost 100 but I am babying it....no rush.....

Anyway, hoping the weather gets warmer for u guys up north :-)

KathyG.....where are you? I miss your input specifically about this IM :-)

Safe training to all!

Alicia
2014-02-08 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by trirun26

Glad everyone is doing great!

I have my first even in April which is a 5k swim and I am so looking forward to it! Been swimming a lot with my local masters team :-)

Biking I a going great but my running is still limited at this time due to my foot recovering from the injury I had on my tendon. It feels almost 100 but I am babying it....no rush.....

Anyway, hoping the weather gets warmer for u guys up north :-)

KathyG.....where are you? I miss your input specifically about this IM :-)

Safe training to all!

Alicia

From her facebook posts I think KathyG is quilting a new wetsuit or something

We had some snow here in Memphis last night. I was doing a long trainer ride anyway so it was nice. My kids actually had the opportunity to sled down the driveway a few times before it melted.

2014-02-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Hi guys Hope things are good with everyone   I fired up my plantar fascia last week Seriously I could barely walk it was pathetic.  Spent the weekend babying it with ice, massage, topical meds and e-stim.  Running was out of the question.   Oh well life goes on I guess.  I make a TINY little bit of running progress and then I am hobbled, although this was not running induced

2014-02-10 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

7.5 weeks into recovery from foot surgery.    Foot is feeling better and better

I'm now back into the pool, and swimming daily.     I teach indoor cycling classes and was teaching off the bike for much of the recovery period, I'm back on but only going about 80%  effort.     The good thing is, this feels good, and right.    I just don't feel well unless I'm training.   

2 weeks and I am cleared to push it on the bike.   5 weeks before I can run.    little over 5 months until my tuneup Half iron (Door county)    It's difficult to imagine me being at race pace fitness by then, but I have been down this road before and made it back.      I WILL DO THIS!!!!    can't wait to see everyone at PCB!  

2014-02-24 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Geez o pete we slipped to the second page,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that simply had to be corrected.  ") I am completely out of shape and fat to boot.  I have company today will start tomorrow.  Struggling with plantar fascitis.  stoopid foot

2014-02-25 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Geez o pete we slipped to the second page,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that simply had to be corrected.  ") I am completely out of shape and fat to boot.  I have company today will start tomorrow.  Struggling with plantar fascitis.  stoopid foot

PF is evil! I struggled with it for 10 months and then I ended up with a tear.....ahhhhhhhhhhh EVIL.....still not 100 percent but recovering!

Yes! We made it to the second page....wow, this has been a slow one comparing to others that I have participated in...wonder why?

I noticed u are in Plantation (i lived in Davie before), are u doing swim miami? I signed up for the 5k swim...should be fun!

Really looking forward to my long long bike rides....my fav part of IM training!

Heel PF...heel!

Alicia
2014-02-26 10:27 AM

Questions for those that have done IMFL before:

1) clear or tinted goggles? Seems like clear would be the way to go if there is chop and in mostly dawn conditions.
2) Swim course. When you exit the first loop and are running over the beach to start the second, does this beach run count as part of your swim time? is the beach run part of the swim distance (swim is shorter but adds the beach distance to make 2.4 miles).
3) in T1 does a volunteer get your bike? at the IM events I have done we have to get it ourselves for T1
4) Do wetsuits fit in the plastic bags we are given? Might try to throw mine to support crew so it doesnt get wet rot in a warm bag for 12 hrs.

2014-02-26 12:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mikiefaith Questions for those that have done IMFL before: 1) clear or tinted goggles? Seems like clear would be the way to go if there is chop and in mostly dawn conditions. 2) Swim course. When you exit the first loop and are running over the beach to start the second, does this beach run count as part of your swim time? is the beach run part of the swim distance (swim is shorter but adds the beach distance to make 2.4 miles). 3) in T1 does a volunteer get your bike? at the IM events I have done we have to get it ourselves for T1 4) Do wetsuits fit in the plastic bags we are given? Might try to throw mine to support crew so it doesnt get wet rot in a warm bag for 12 hrs.

1-TINTED or mirrored goggles for SURE...the sun will  be rising directly in your face on race day across the top of the swim and its difficult to see even with tint

2-The beach run is counted in your swim time but not sure if it makes up part of the 2.4 miles.  I would think not. 

3-Probably.  When you come out of the changing area they have people with bullhorns shouting out racers numbers.  I have done IMFL many times and I have always been handed my bike but its not 100%.  You hand it off after the bike no re-racking

4-yes they fit in just fine.  You can have a friend/family member collect your bags and bike after 5:30pm.  If I see a friend/family member I have given them my wet suit (2 times out of 7 races) IMFL is actually pretty cool/cold and I have not had any problem with my wetsuit post race.  It is complete chaos after the swim tho so I would not count on spotting friends/family for a  hand off

Edited by Socks 2014-02-26 12:05 PM
2014-03-02 12:45 PM

User image

After being sick for 5 months I just found out I have strep in my sinuses and I, too, am 100% blocked on one side AGAIN. I am up for a second sinus surgery at the end of this month but thankfully it's balloon since my nose was already re-broken and all of that jazz. I am annoyed. On more steroids and antibiotics and they want me to start getting 2-3 allergy shots every week. Not sure if I am okay with that. I hope you are feeling better!
2014-03-02 12:47 PM

User image

On another note, quick question for your veterans:

I have had a full sleeve wetsuit in the past and bought a new sleeveless two years ago and prefer that over the full
sleeve. I sold my full sleeve as it's always warm enough here by the time I start racing. However, in Racine this past year
I realized I probably needed it since the water was around 60 degrees. Would you recommend full sleeve for Florida due
to water temps? I wasn't sure how cold it is. Thanks!
2014-03-02 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

On another note, quick question for your veterans:

I have had a full sleeve wetsuit in the past and bought a new sleeveless two years ago and prefer that over the full
sleeve. I sold my full sleeve as it's always warm enough here by the time I start racing. However, in Racine this past year
I realized I probably needed it since the water was around 60 degrees. Would you recommend full sleeve for Florida due
to water temps? I wasn't sure how cold it is. Thanks!

I've found that the only reason to not go with a sleeveless is to keep warm before the gun goes off. The water is so nice and no sleeves is much more comfortable to me. I just brought a throw away long sleeve shirt to keep warm before the start then chucked it with about 5 mins to go.

Now, I chucked it in the trash not dumped it on the beach like so many do. Just wanted to get that out there because I hate litter bugs
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79438 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133402 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180520 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241719 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136711 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!