General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-03-02 1:10 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Originally posted by julio26pt2

I'm eating ice cream right now... Why am I eating ice cream?!? Because this guy just had his tonsils removed on Friday! :-) Plus they shrunk my uvula down a bit and knocked off some of the back of my tongue to help me breathe...

In November they removed my adenoids and did a full roto-rooter job on my nose to open up the airways..

And here it is Monday, and I'm already back at work. Modern medicine is truly amazing. I could tell a huge difference after having my nose roto-rootered, and can't wait to see the results that opening up the throat will provide. Better sleep, more efficient breathing during training. I know my performance has been pretty rotten over the past years because I've always had to make such an effort to breathe. I was finally in a place in life where I could give the 'ole engine a tune up and upgrade. So no training right now.

Did squeeze out a half marathon during a trip to Maui a few weeks ago which was fun, but I went super slow and made sure it was for fun and not for time. I have about 2-3 weeks of recovery from this then I'm excited to start hitting the pool again...

So there's my winter schedule.

After being sick for 5 months I just found out I have strep in my sinuses and I, too, am 100% blocked on one side AGAIN. I am up for a second sinus surgery at the end of this month but thankfully it's balloon since my nose was already re-broken and all of that jazz. I am annoyed. On more steroids and antibiotics and they want me to start getting 2-3 allergy shots every week. Not sure if I am okay with that. I hope you are feeling better!

Hope you guys feel better and recover well.

2014-03-04 6:39 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by papson14
Originally posted by midwesttrimom On another note, quick question for your veterans: I have had a full sleeve wetsuit in the past and bought a new sleeveless two years ago and prefer that over the full sleeve. I sold my full sleeve as it's always warm enough here by the time I start racing. However, in Racine this past year I realized I probably needed it since the water was around 60 degrees. Would you recommend full sleeve for Florida due to water temps? I wasn't sure how cold it is. Thanks!
I've found that the only reason to not go with a sleeveless is to keep warm before the gun goes off. The water is so nice and no sleeves is much more comfortable to me. I just brought a throw away long sleeve shirt to keep warm before the start then chucked it with about 5 mins to go. Now, I chucked it in the trash not dumped it on the beach like so many do. Just wanted to get that out there because I hate litter bugs
I agree. Personal preference.  The water is typically in the low 70s so no need to buy a wetsuit with sleeves

2014-03-05 8:06 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by papson14
Originally posted by midwesttrimom On another note, quick question for your veterans: I have had a full sleeve wetsuit in the past and bought a new sleeveless two years ago and prefer that over the full sleeve. I sold my full sleeve as it's always warm enough here by the time I start racing. However, in Racine this past year I realized I probably needed it since the water was around 60 degrees. Would you recommend full sleeve for Florida due to water temps? I wasn't sure how cold it is. Thanks!
I've found that the only reason to not go with a sleeveless is to keep warm before the gun goes off. The water is so nice and no sleeves is much more comfortable to me. I just brought a throw away long sleeve shirt to keep warm before the start then chucked it with about 5 mins to go. Now, I chucked it in the trash not dumped it on the beach like so many do. Just wanted to get that out there because I hate litter bugs
I agree. Personal preference.  The water is typically in the low 70s so no need to buy a wetsuit with sleeves

Thanks for the info. I will just stick to my comfy sleeveless. I like it so much better! I feel more free. Hee hee. Also, at Racine we all dumped our flip flops, long sleeves, etc. on the beach but they had told us they were planning to pick it all up and donate them to a local charity. I thought that was a neat idea! You never know who may find our trash to be their treasure. I will do the same. Appreciate it.
2014-03-05 4:30 PM

User image

Regular
You can pair your sleeveless wetsuit with some Tyr swim sleeves. You'll still have your shoulders free, and the swim sleeves might help make up some of what you're losing with a sleeveless wetsuit (some degree of buoyancy, etc.). Just a thought.
2014-03-06 3:05 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Originally posted by mbwallis

You can pair your sleeveless wetsuit with some Tyr swim sleeves. You'll still have your shoulders free, and the swim sleeves might help make up some of what you're losing with a sleeveless wetsuit (some degree of buoyancy, etc.). Just a thought.

See what I learn from veterans. I didn't even know these things existed. I am a minimalist if possible. I will look into these FOR SURE before I race in June if it's cooler. The lakes here get so hot in the summer we don't get to wear wetsuits. Appreciate the feedback. I will buy these for Florida!
2014-03-07 6:12 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

See what I learn from veterans. I didn't even know these things existed. I am a minimalist if possible. I will look into these FOR SURE before I race in June if it's cooler. The lakes here get so hot in the summer we don't get to wear wetsuits. Appreciate the feedback. I will buy these for Florida!

Now that we are talking about wetsuits, here is my dilemma/ question.

I am going to have a sleeveless wetsuit as I can not swim with a full, as it is I feel uncomfortable with a sleepless one (will be practicing lots!). My big issue is my hands as I have some neuropathy in my fingers (chemo induced) that acts up when the water is cool.....literally my finger tips feel numb and uncomfortable now when I swim in the am in the pool.....so,

What are the thoughts on swimming with some type of neoprene type glove? It should be allowed right? Any ideas....It will for sure be a fashion statement...lol

Happy training!

2014-03-07 12:00 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by trirun26
Originally posted by mbwallis You can pair your sleeveless wetsuit with some Tyr swim sleeves. You'll still have your shoulders free, and the swim sleeves might help make up some of what you're losing with a sleeveless wetsuit (some degree of buoyancy, etc.). Just a thought.
Now that we are talking about wetsuits, here is my dilemma/ question. I am going to have a sleeveless wetsuit as I can not swim with a full, as it is I feel uncomfortable with a sleepless one (will be practicing lots!). My big issue is my hands as I have some neuropathy in my fingers (chemo induced) that acts up when the water is cool.....literally my finger tips feel numb and uncomfortable now when I swim in the am in the pool.....so, What are the thoughts on swimming with some type of neoprene type glove? It should be allowed right? Any ideas....It will for sure be a fashion statement...lol Happy training!

I do not think neoprene gloves are allowed. Check with the race director.  They will probably give you some type of exemption due to your issue being because of chemo.  The water will typically be in the low 70s in PCB in November. 

2014-03-10 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Thanks fort he input Socks!

I never even thought about gloves not being allowed...hmmmmm

I will write the director and see what he says.

Happy training!

Alicia
2014-03-10 7:46 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by trirun26 Thanks fort he input Socks! I never even thought about gloves not being allowed...hmmmmm I will write the director and see what he says. Happy training! Alicia
  They might say a glove would give you an advantage like a hand paddle.  I know they have given consent for the use of a wrist brace in the past.  Give them a sob story.

2014-03-16 10:03 AM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Hello all,

I am a little late to the intro party. IMFL is my first IM. I'm looking forward to going through this journey with all of you. This has been my #1 Bucket List item for 10 years. Man does it feel good to be living my dream. I am a definite back of the packer and have no natural athletic ability. But I'm all in for putting in the time to make it across the finish line. Namaste.
2014-03-17 2:12 PM

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Should have looked into this before (of course) having never done an IM or 1/2 IM before registering for IMFL, I figure I need to get a 1/2 in before 11-1-14 preferably not after September 1 thinking I will need recovery and training before the full.

Any suggestions in the SE of the US? I just saw an ad for Atomic man 1/2 IM on 8/31 in Oak Ridge TN: http://www.active.com/lenoir-city-tn/triathlon/races/atomic-man-tri... .

Any thoughts? Suggestions of another? I think Augusta is still open, but late Sep is too little time for me to feel comfortable in recovering and training up to IMFL.
Thanks!

2014-03-17 4:10 PM
in reply to: DavidKSC

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by DavidKSC

Should have looked into this before (of course) having never done an IM or 1/2 IM before registering for IMFL, I figure I need to get a 1/2 in before 11-1-14 preferably not after September 1 thinking I will need recovery and training before the full.

Any suggestions in the SE of the US? I just saw an ad for Atomic man 1/2 IM on 8/31 in Oak Ridge TN: http://www.active.com/lenoir-city-tn/triathlon/races/atomic-man-tri... .

Any thoughts? Suggestions of another? I think Augusta is still open, but late Sep is too little time for me to feel comfortable in recovering and training up to IMFL.
Thanks!

I am doing Augusta 70.3. In my 2 prior IM's I have done a 1/2 IM one month plus before the full and it has worked out perfect for me. Of course, I have done the race as a training race and not in full race mode.

How far away would u like to do the half dist?
2014-03-17 6:12 PM

User image

That was my thoughts too - purely part of my training plan.

I live in Greenville SC, about 2 hrs west-ish of Charleston. Would like to try and stay within a 3 or 4 hour drive.
Just checked Augusta - $300 (IM brand!) vs the Atomic TN 1/2 $130 entry -- another consideration, eh ...
Thanks!
2014-03-18 8:19 AM

Does any know "roughly" between which miles or what road is the bumpy section on the bike course? It is chip seal or expansion gaps for cold weather? Thanks for the info
2014-03-18 2:59 PM
in reply to: mikiefaith

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mikiefaith Does any know "roughly" between which miles or what road is the bumpy section on the bike course? It is chip seal or expansion gaps for cold weather? Thanks for the info

It is the out and back around special needs....so like mile 50 ish to mile 60 ish.  It is chip seal with lots of bumps.  Being FL even North Florida I don't think its from cold weather although similar to expansion bumps. Ka-thunk Ka thunk Ka thunk every few feet.  LOTS of ejected tri stuff on the road.  Bottles, gels, tires, CO2, if its strapped to a bike it will be on the road there. 

2014-03-20 1:14 PM

MMMM....has it always been this way? Sounds like I need to send someone out there to collect some extra bottles and gear for me

2014-03-24 1:32 AM

Hey how's you feel now. Its good to hear that you fine and enjoying your ice cream.

West Palm Beach FL Locksmith

2014-03-24 6:02 AM
in reply to: mikiefaith

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mikiefaith MMMM....has it always been this way? Sounds like I need to send someone out there to collect some extra bottles and gear for me
  it has always been a section of the course.  they changed the bike course slightly a few years ago so we do not ride by what is now the new airport but that bumpy section has been a part of the course at least since 2006 (first year I did the race so I can't speak to years prior to that)

2014-03-24 8:47 AM

User image

Found my 1/2 IM training race!
August 12 Canton NC, Lake Logan
http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventI...

Pretty excited the timing is just what I wanted. Enough time to recover and adjust training to IMFL as well as get some experience in a distance tri (only have done sprints and Oly's before).

In the NC mtns, about 1 1/2 hr drive away. Supposed to be a flat, cool race - wet suit legal in a mtn lake.
2014-03-24 4:31 PM

User image

Regular

Sorry, just saw this. I'm no veteran, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

I just bought a pair of these, and plan on trying them out at New Orleans 70.3 in a few weeks unless the water is warm. Try to remind me and I'll let you know my thoughts. They come up to about mid bicep, if that far.
2014-04-13 7:20 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Just bringing the thread back up to the top :-)

How is everyone doing? My official training program starts in June so far my biking and swimming are going great.

Looking forward with some "nerves" to my Swim Miami 5k next Saturday :-)

Happy training to all,

Alicia

2014-04-14 5:42 PM

User image

Good luck at your 5K SWIM EVENT! That scares me right now. Swam 2800 today and ran this AM. Adding mileage for a half marathon on June 1 and doing a HIM on July 27. Started my training for that and my IMFL training will start the second week in June. However, I feel WAY AHEAD of the game. Is that bad? I am already doing what most plans call for during the 8-10 week mark. Thoughts on this? I am afraid I may get hurt or
burned out but I like to do some early summer races, too. Hoping to toss in an Olympic or two and maybe one sprint.

Also, need some info about the IMFL swim. Gosh, I know we've gone over this but I have nightmares about getting sea sick, sucking in saltwater, being pulled by the current, etc. Need reassurance if you have any. I am not a bad swimmer, but I swim in lakes in Iowa!!! They are calm. Lake Michigan about killed me off during my 70.3 last year. Seriously! I wanted to be pulled out of the water. It was so rough out there. Huge waves up and over my head and it wasn't saltwater.

I wish I was a swimmer...a biker...and a runner.

2014-04-15 9:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Just bringing the thread back up to the top :-)

How is everyone doing? My official training program starts in June so far my biking and swimming are going great.

Looking forward with some "nerves" to my Swim Miami 5k next Saturday :-)

Happy training to all,

Alicia

Hi Alicia !

My official training program just started last week (30 weeks). I am following the same plan that i followed last year for IMMT.

I am "very slowly" recovering from sciatica and ITBS injuries. Not 100% at all. But, i'm doing better now than a few weeks ago. I had a marathon scheduled for May but i cancelled those plans, because of injuries.

Over here, the snow is still covering most of the ground and spring has been very cold. Not easy at all.

"Enjoy" the swim Saturday !
Cheers

David

Edited by dge12 2014-04-15 9:40 AM
2014-04-15 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Good luck at your 5K SWIM EVENT! That scares me right now. Swam 2800 today and ran this AM. Adding mileage for a half marathon on June 1 and doing a HIM on July 27. Started my training for that and my IMFL training will start the second week in June. However, I feel WAY AHEAD of the game. Is that bad? I am already doing what most plans call for during the 8-10 week mark. Thoughts on this? I am afraid I may get hurt or
burned out but I like to do some early summer races, too. Hoping to toss in an Olympic or two and maybe one sprint.

Also, need some info about the IMFL swim. Gosh, I know we've gone over this but I have nightmares about getting sea sick, sucking in saltwater, being pulled by the current, etc. Need reassurance if you have any. I am not a bad swimmer, but I swim in lakes in Iowa!!! They are calm. Lake Michigan about killed me off during my 70.3 last year. Seriously! I wanted to be pulled out of the water. It was so rough out there. Huge waves up and over my head and it wasn't saltwater.

Hi!

Sounds like you are doing great :-) I would just be very aware of your body which I am sure u are as an athlete and take it easy when your body needs it....recovery is super important in IM training in my opinion.

Hmmmmmm the ocean swim......not much I can tell you there except my own experience when I swim here in the ocean and a half dist IM I did in Panama City years ago. Yes,it can be very intimidating when you first go in due to the waves/chop.....BUT sometimes once you get through this is bit so bad. For me, I have the irrational fear of BiG critters! Lol, I know I am crazy.

Just remember, the swim is just the first and shortest portion of the race. For me,I don't feel the need to go out there and kill myself swimming....as the day is long! ( both IM swims I have done in 1:20-25 so I am on the slower side :-)

Happy training!
2014-04-15 12:30 PM

User image

Hi!

Sounds like you are doing great :-) I would just be very aware of your body which I am sure u are as an athlete and take it easy when your body needs it....recovery is super important in IM training in my opinion.

Hmmmmmm the ocean swim......not much I can tell you there except my own experience when I swim here in the ocean and a half dist IM I did in Panama City years ago. Yes,it can be very intimidating when you first go in due to the waves/chop.....BUT sometimes once you get through this is bit so bad. For me, I have the irrational fear of BiG critters! Lol, I know I am crazy.

Just remember, the swim is just the first and shortest portion of the race. For me,I don't feel the need to go out there and kill myself swimming....as the day is long! ( both IM swims I have done in 1:20-25 so I am on the slower side :-)

Happy training!

Thanks for the info. I honestly would be thrilled with that time for my IM. I plan on swimming easy and the actual distance does not intimidate me since I am already doing 2500-3000 meters swims and it's early. It's the waves, chop, critters, and the salt water. I have only swam in the ocean on vacations and never longer than 10-15 minutes! Just nervous! Hoping the feel the race and the excitement will get me through it. I know I won't be the only one, right?

Appreciate the feedback!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79295 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133302 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180427 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241599 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136617 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!