General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-04-15 12:32 PM
in reply to: dge12

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
Originally posted by dge12

Originally posted by trirun26

Just bringing the thread back up to the top :-)

How is everyone doing? My official training program starts in June so far my biking and swimming are going great.

Looking forward with some "nerves" to my Swim Miami 5k next Saturday :-)

Happy training to all,

Alicia

Hi Alicia !

My official training program just started last week (30 weeks). I am following the same plan that i followed last year for IMMT.

I am "very slowly" recovering from sciatica and ITBS injuries. Not 100% at all. But, i'm doing better now than a few weeks ago. I had a marathon scheduled for May but i cancelled those plans, because of injuries.

Over here, the snow is still covering most of the ground and spring has been very cold. Not easy at all.

"Enjoy" the swim Saturday !
Cheers

David

If you don't mind me asking, what plan do you follow? I hope your recovery goes well! My plan is only 24 weeks but since
i am training for the Olympic and HIM I figured that may be okay. However, maybe a 30 week plan would be better. No idea!
Thought about hiring a coach but not sure I want do that the first time around. Budget is sort of tight since I am traveling a long
way to get to the race, hotels, airfare (possibly), bike transport, etc. Hoping my family can get there too, of course...

Thanks!

2014-04-15 2:44 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by midwesttrimom Good luck at your 5K SWIM EVENT! That scares me right now. Swam 2800 today and ran this AM. Adding mileage for a half marathon on June 1 and doing a HIM on July 27. Started my training for that and my IMFL training will start the second week in June. However, I feel WAY AHEAD of the game. Is that bad? I am already doing what most plans call for during the 8-10 week mark. Thoughts on this? I am afraid I may get hurt or burned out but I like to do some early summer races, too. Hoping to toss in an Olympic or two and maybe one sprint. Also, need some info about the IMFL swim. Gosh, I know we've gone over this but I have nightmares about getting sea sick, sucking in saltwater, being pulled by the current, etc. Need reassurance if you have any. I am not a bad swimmer, but I swim in lakes in Iowa!!! They are calm. Lake Michigan about killed me off during my 70.3 last year. Seriously! I wanted to be pulled out of the water. It was so rough out there. Huge waves up and over my head and it wasn't saltwater. I wish I was a swimmer...a biker...and a runner.

Ocean........I pretty much grew up on the beaches of Cape Cod and was an ocean life guard.  Really the BEST advice I can give you is to take a beach vacation if you are able to do so  and spend as much time as you can in the water.  Get comfortable with the ocean and in the ocean.  Go somewhere with a little surf and play in the waves.  Get a boogie board and play on that.    Forget about the critters they won't bother you. Yep you are going to get salt water in your mouth but you most likely won't get enough to make you sick.  The current there really is not to bad and I have probably swum the course 15 times?  I dont' really understand how people get seasick swimming to be honest.  If you believe it will happen then most likely it will.  Learn to pick a point on the horizon to spot off of.  If you are spotting an object/building that is not moving that will help.  If you can't get to the beach before the race be sure to swim every day you are there.  I've taught MANY BTers how to body surf and get out past the waves too.  My #1 best piece of swim advice for IMFL is to get mirrored or tinted goggles.  Across the top you will be swimming directly into the sun and its blinding.

2014-04-15 8:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by midwesttrimom Good luck at your 5K SWIM EVENT! That scares me right now. Swam 2800 today and ran this AM. Adding mileage for a half marathon on June 1 and doing a HIM on July 27. Started my training for that and my IMFL training will start the second week in June. However, I feel WAY AHEAD of the game. Is that bad? I am already doing what most plans call for during the 8-10 week mark. Thoughts on this? I am afraid I may get hurt or burned out but I like to do some early summer races, too. Hoping to toss in an Olympic or two and maybe one sprint. Also, need some info about the IMFL swim. Gosh, I know we've gone over this but I have nightmares about getting sea sick, sucking in saltwater, being pulled by the current, etc. Need reassurance if you have any. I am not a bad swimmer, but I swim in lakes in Iowa!!! They are calm. Lake Michigan about killed me off during my 70.3 last year. Seriously! I wanted to be pulled out of the water. It was so rough out there. Huge waves up and over my head and it wasn't saltwater. I wish I was a swimmer...a biker...and a runner.

Ocean........I pretty much grew up on the beaches of Cape Cod and was an ocean life guard.  Really the BEST advice I can give you is to take a beach vacation if you are able to do so  and spend as much time as you can in the water.  Get comfortable with the ocean and in the ocean.  Go somewhere with a little surf and play in the waves.  Get a boogie board and play on that.    Forget about the critters they won't bother you. Yep you are going to get salt water in your mouth but you most likely won't get enough to make you sick.  The current there really is not to bad and I have probably swum the course 15 times?  I dont' really understand how people get seasick swimming to be honest.  If you believe it will happen then most likely it will.  Learn to pick a point on the horizon to spot off of.  If you are spotting an object/building that is not moving that will help.  If you can't get to the beach before the race be sure to swim every day you are there.  I've taught MANY BTers how to body surf and get out past the waves too.  My #1 best piece of swim advice for IMFL is to get mirrored or tinted goggles.  Across the top you will be swimming directly into the sun and its blinding.

Absolutely correct Socks, I’ve swam this a few times myself sometimes a little rough sometimes not so rough. Either way taking down a little water isn’t so bad as long as there is no panic (there is enough surfboards, paddleboards and boats out there ready to help if just look in distress they are “Johnny on the spot” or simply raise your hand and get their attention and take a rest (you’re still in the race unless you are in trouble). As far a getting seasick well different folks have different sensitivity to that, I was a Submarine Sailor for 25 years and can get seasick on a rowboat in a lake however swimming is normally not a problem. I have gotten a little unsteady on long swims where I could see the bottom and know I was going up and down. I have completed the IMFL course a few times and have yet to see the bottom. Listen to Socks and be prepared for the turn at the top … …. The sun is right in your eyes regardless of cloud cover, I’m not sure if I have ever seen the second top turn buoy until I’m about 10 feet from it.

Edited by aintaround 2014-04-15 8:02 PM
2014-04-16 12:29 PM
in reply to: Socks

these are two different issues you raise. first, the sea sickness issue. also grew up swimming in lakes, not the ocean. sea sickness is not a figment of the imagination. I grew up boating the lakes and loved the white caps and getting the boat turned sideways and getting a good rock to it and believed this was proof positive I do not get sea sick although I have always gotten motion sick on roller coasters and planes with lots of turbulence. I learned otherwise when I got on a boat on the ocean while on vacation. The swell of the ocean is very different than a lake and I got very sick, keeping my eyes on the horizon did not help. Closing my eyes did not help. Taking Dramamine did not help. My buddy said just ride it out, my body would adjust so I was determined to do mind over matter and keep fishing as we had paid for a full day charter boat and the fish were biting. I just got sicker by the hour. Sea sickness is real and has to do with your inner ear, with everyone's inner ear being slightly different, and the fluids in the inner ear, including the thickness of the fluids. Some people get sea sick, many don't, but do not let people convince you it's all in your head because being comfortable in the water has nothing to do with sea sickness. I dare say, as a lake swimmer, you are more comfortable than most people with the water as you are used to not being able to see the bottom. how do you do on roller coasters? the back seat of the car? on planes with turbulence? on merry-go-rounds? if these are not problems, you are likely just fine.

So the real question is are you someone that gets seasick? how do you do on roller coasters and planes with turbulence? if you have not problems with these, you will likely be fine regarding sea sickness. Did you get sea sick in Lake Michigan, or just the waves that scared you? Did you do Racine? Lake Michigan will give you a pretty good indication of whether you get sea sick - I did Racine and puked while swimming because of the motion sickness. the trick is to swim fast and get out before you get really sick. if you can't swim fast, then be prepared to stop swimming a couple of times and just tread water to try to get your equilibrium back and start swimming again. If you get too sea sick to do this, then sea a doctor about getting a motion sickness script - not the patches but the tablet. Dramamine also is not a good idea. then get out to Spirit Lake and swim a few times after taking a half pill to be sure you know in advance if the pill itself will make you sick.

if your problem in Lake Michigan was the fright from the big waves, get yourself out to Spirit Lake regularly, and swim even when you have white caps. the first time it will be scary, second not as bad, etc. if you can get your brain ready to self-talk your way through the chop in advance, you will be fine. remember, you can always stop and tread water to get yourself ready to swim again.
2014-04-16 1:09 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Regular
I just completed my spring 'A' race (New Orleans 70.3) and will now start up on the IMFL plan. It's starting to feel a bit more real now, that's for sure.
2014-04-16 1:43 PM

Regular
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Good luck at your 5K SWIM EVENT! That scares me right now. Swam 2800 today and ran this AM. Adding mileage for a half marathon on June 1 and doing a HIM on July 27. Started my training for that and my IMFL training will start the second week in June. However, I feel WAY AHEAD of the game. Is that bad? I am already doing what most plans call for during the 8-10 week mark. Thoughts on this? I am afraid I may get hurt or
burned out but I like to do some early summer races, too. Hoping to toss in an Olympic or two and maybe one sprint.

Also, need some info about the IMFL swim. Gosh, I know we've gone over this but I have nightmares about getting sea sick, sucking in saltwater, being pulled by the current, etc. Need reassurance if you have any. I am not a bad swimmer, but I swim in lakes in Iowa!!! They are calm. Lake Michigan about killed me off during my 70.3 last year. Seriously! I wanted to be pulled out of the water. It was so rough out there. Huge waves up and over my head and it wasn't saltwater.

I wish I was a swimmer...a biker...and a runner.

I've got IMTX in a few weeks then I'll take a full 3 weeks to recover before I start ramping up for IMFL.

With regard to the swim, it was really choppy last year but that only lasted for the first few hundred yards. Once you got past the breakers it was ok. I can't help you with the sea sickness, but I live on the gulf coast and do a few ocean races. With regard to sucking in water, learn to breath from both sides as waves may be breaking to your dominant side. Also, when you get there practice taking a breath at the top of the swell. Last year was my first IMFL and I was told that was some of the worst water conditions and that waves and chop are usually not an issue. I can attest to that as the day after the race last year the water was like glass.

2014-04-16 2:29 PM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Originally posted by gotbitten

these are two different issues you raise. first, the sea sickness issue. also grew up swimming in lakes, not the ocean. sea sickness is not a figment of the imagination. I grew up boating the lakes and loved the white caps and getting the boat turned sideways and getting a good rock to it and believed this was proof positive I do not get sea sick although I have always gotten motion sick on roller coasters and planes with lots of turbulence. I learned otherwise when I got on a boat on the ocean while on vacation. The swell of the ocean is very different than a lake and I got very sick, keeping my eyes on the horizon did not help. Closing my eyes did not help. Taking Dramamine did not help. My buddy said just ride it out, my body would adjust so I was determined to do mind over matter and keep fishing as we had paid for a full day charter boat and the fish were biting. I just got sicker by the hour. Sea sickness is real and has to do with your inner ear, with everyone's inner ear being slightly different, and the fluids in the inner ear, including the thickness of the fluids. Some people get sea sick, many don't, but do not let people convince you it's all in your head because being comfortable in the water has nothing to do with sea sickness. I dare say, as a lake swimmer, you are more comfortable than most people with the water as you are used to not being able to see the bottom. how do you do on roller coasters? the back seat of the car? on planes with turbulence? on merry-go-rounds? if these are not problems, you are likely just fine.

So the real question is are you someone that gets seasick? how do you do on roller coasters and planes with turbulence? if you have not problems with these, you will likely be fine regarding sea sickness. Did you get sea sick in Lake Michigan, or just the waves that scared you? Did you do Racine? Lake Michigan will give you a pretty good indication of whether you get sea sick - I did Racine and puked while swimming because of the motion sickness. the trick is to swim fast and get out before you get really sick. if you can't swim fast, then be prepared to stop swimming a couple of times and just tread water to try to get your equilibrium back and start swimming again. If you get too sea sick to do this, then sea a doctor about getting a motion sickness script - not the patches but the tablet. Dramamine also is not a good idea. then get out to Spirit Lake and swim a few times after taking a half pill to be sure you know in advance if the pill itself will make you sick.

if your problem in Lake Michigan was the fright from the big waves, get yourself out to Spirit Lake regularly, and swim even when you have white caps. the first time it will be scary, second not as bad, etc. if you can get your brain ready to self-talk your way through the chop in advance, you will be fine. remember, you can always stop and tread water to get yourself ready to swim again.

I did not get sick in Lake Michigan and I think last year was one of the worst years they've had according to many volunteers and other racers. It was ROUGH. I struggled but never stopped or anything. Getting out was the hardest part. I will just plan to "enjoy" the swim, take my time, relax and soak it all in. It's all positive talk! I am in Des Moines so not sure how far away spirit lake is. Maybe I will plan a race out there if there are any in the late summer. I do get sea sick and have had to take meds for this before. I also get sick on our family's boat if we "float" and aren't moving forward. I get car sick in the back seat but not on roller coasters. Fast motion does not make me sick but rocking slowly does. I think I will be okay with that part. I didn't even know about it until someone's race report mentioned they got sick during the ocean swim. Thanks for the info all.
2014-04-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: awal1

User image

Originally posted by awal1

Good luck at your 5K SWIM EVENT! That scares me right now. Swam 2800 today and ran this AM. Adding mileage for a half marathon on June 1 and doing a HIM on July 27. Started my training for that and my IMFL training will start the second week in June. However, I feel WAY AHEAD of the game. Is that bad? I am already doing what most plans call for during the 8-10 week mark. Thoughts on this? I am afraid I may get hurt or
burned out but I like to do some early summer races, too. Hoping to toss in an Olympic or two and maybe one sprint.

Also, need some info about the IMFL swim. Gosh, I know we've gone over this but I have nightmares about getting sea sick, sucking in saltwater, being pulled by the current, etc. Need reassurance if you have any. I am not a bad swimmer, but I swim in lakes in Iowa!!! They are calm. Lake Michigan about killed me off during my 70.3 last year. Seriously! I wanted to be pulled out of the water. It was so rough out there. Huge waves up and over my head and it wasn't saltwater.

I wish I was a swimmer...a biker...and a runner.

I've got IMTX in a few weeks then I'll take a full 3 weeks to recover before I start ramping up for IMFL.

With regard to the swim, it was really choppy last year but that only lasted for the first few hundred yards. Once you got past the breakers it was ok. I can't help you with the sea sickness, but I live on the gulf coast and do a few ocean races. With regard to sucking in water, learn to breath from both sides as waves may be breaking to your dominant side. Also, when you get there practice taking a breath at the top of the swell. Last year was my first IMFL and I was told that was some of the worst water conditions and that waves and chop are usually not an issue. I can attest to that as the day after the race last year the water was like glass.

Praying for water like glass in 2014. I am not a horrible swimmer and actually do okay but this is just different. I only breathe on my right. I can breathe on my left if forced but it's tough! May need to work on that.
2014-04-17 9:59 AM

User image

If you don't mind me asking, what plan do you follow? I hope your recovery goes well! My plan is only 24 weeks but since

Don Fink intermediate plan. It leaves me with enough free time to do other things with my life. I love sailing !!
2014-04-18 8:05 PM
in reply to: dge12

User image

Originally posted by dge12

Don Fink intermediate plan. It leaves me with enough free time to do other things with my life. I love sailing !!

I have that book but thought it looked like the workload may not be enough for my first race?? Maybe I should rethink it. I am swamped with 3 busy kids right now. I don't planning on giving everything else up (not a choice I guess) and I will do whatever I can in the time allotted. Thanks for the info!
2014-04-27 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Afternoon all, signing back in after some time away, I'm in for IMFL 14 (previous finisher 2010 & 2011) didn't make the initial cut this year so had to buy a charity slot.

After lots of excuses I'm starting to get back in shape, had great plans to have good fitness going into my training plan, but........ anyways, I've started now.

Got a question to anyone using whaoo fitness - have a garmin 910xt, hr monitor, bike speed & cadence, as well as an ant+ powertap wheel, also got got an old iphone 4s I no longer use - though it still has an active number (no data plan).

Was considering ditching the cycleops bike computer (which I greatly dislike) and replace it with a wahoo ant+ iPhone case.

Anyone using these, are they worth it - I carry the phone anyways.

Any comments appreciated - I'll cross post on the tech forum.

Thanks in advance, Glen

2014-05-19 12:14 PM
in reply to: millarg

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Gotten pretty slow in here recently. Today starts my 24-week training plan and I had a wonderful commute into work. Okay, I had a big headwind and was carrying a lot of heavy stuff in my Pannier. So it was a slow, but powerful ride. I've been riding with bike shorts and decided to go with tri shorts today. So, I'm a little butthurt over that decision. But it was just beautiful today and I'm thankful to have the health and ability to combine training with commuting. I'll share a picture from today's ride:

It's so nice to be back out there after the winter we've had. I wish I could say I was tougher than I am, but I've been doing most of my rides on the trainer and this is only my 2nd outdoor ride this season. I had a really nasty spill a little over a year ago when I hit a patch of ice on the trail and decided that winter riding wasn't for me.

All healed up from the surgeries (nasal reconstruction and removed the adenoids, tonsils, and uvula) ! I've never slept better and I can feel that I'm getting so much more oxygen! Though healing from them was no fun and I'm glad to be back out there!

Got engaged two weeks ago to Super Sally, so we're really excited about that! Triathlon brought us together about a year ago and we're both looking forward to crossing the finish line in Florida!

So, that's what's up. Hope everyone's training is going well!!!! :-)
2014-05-21 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4895018

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
I'm in for this year as well!!! I did IMFL 2011 and then took a little time off. Have been doing a lot of running and biking but no real races. Both my friend Dotti and I are back! This is her 4th my 2nd. So excited to be back in IM training mode! Started Mon. Looking forward to seeing everyone down there in 24 weeks!
2014-05-21 5:01 PM
in reply to: sk2a2005

User image

Regular
Originally posted by sk2a2005

I'm in for this year as well!!! I did IMFL 2011 and then took a little time off. Have been doing a lot of running and biking but no real races. Both my friend Dotti and I are back! This is her 4th my 2nd. So excited to be back in IM training mode! Started Mon. Looking forward to seeing everyone down there in 24 weeks!

Was 2011 the year with race day temps in the 40s? Because if it was, don't even think about bringing those back with you this year!
2014-05-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

A quick check of the farmer's almanac shows that 2010 was the year with the high of 62 and low of 42. IF the race was held on nov. 6th.
2014-05-24 7:38 PM
in reply to: mikiefaith

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by mikiefaith A quick check of the farmer's almanac shows that 2010 was the year with the high of 62 and low of 42. IF the race was held on nov. 6th.

I raced that year, and I've got to say it sucked.  50 degrees for a run doesn't sound cold until you add a 15 mph cold north wind while wearing only tri clothes.  People were wearing trash bags from the aide stations to block the wind.   I learned something about what to wear that day.

I cannot believe we're only 24 weeks away!  What happened to this year?

2014-05-25 4:14 PM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by jashac

Originally posted by mikiefaith A quick check of the farmer's almanac shows that 2010 was the year with the high of 62 and low of 42. IF the race was held on nov. 6th.

I raced that year, and I've got to say it sucked.  50 degrees for a run doesn't sound cold until you add a 15 mph cold north wind while wearing only tri clothes.  People were wearing trash bags from the aide stations to block the wind.   I learned something about what to wear that day.

I cannot believe we're only 24 weeks away!  What happened to this year?

2006 it was worse.  31 on the beach in the am.  Fortunately it was 71 in the water   2010 was pretty darn cool too.  It is more likely to be colder rather than warmer even though it is Ironman FLORIDA.  Layers for the bike, stuff you can throw away, long sleeved shirt and/or windbreaker for the run.  It will be my 8th time toeing the line at IMFL so happy to answer questions

2014-05-27 4:56 PM

User image

Regular
Random question, I guess for the guys since it's related to T1. I expect to swim around a 1:14-16, which puts me in with a mass of people hitting T1 at the roughly same time. Assuming it's wetsuit legal, I'll have no need to get nekkid in T1 as I'll have my tri kit on under my wetsuit. Does anybody ever change outside of the crowded T1 room, e.g. right after you get your bag? I think I read a race report once where somebody did that, and it worked very well for him. It made me wonder why more people don't do it.
2014-05-27 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mbwallis

Random question, I guess for the guys since it's related to T1. I expect to swim around a 1:14-16, which puts me in with a mass of people hitting T1 at the roughly same time. Assuming it's wetsuit legal, I'll have no need to get nekkid in T1 as I'll have my tri kit on under my wetsuit. Does anybody ever change outside of the crowded T1 room, e.g. right after you get your bag? I think I read a race report once where somebody did that, and it worked very well for him. It made me wonder why more people don't do it.

Yup, change outside if you like. Last weekend at IMTX there were actually more people outside the tent than inside. I walked in and there were rows and rows of empty chairs, while outside was shoulder to shoulder sitting in the grass.
2014-05-27 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
I plan on bringing back the glass water for the swim. I didnt think the weather was bad at all. wore a jacket for the bike.
2014-05-27 5:54 PM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Yup.  Lots of people changed outside last year.  But there  was still room inside even in the crush.  If its a cold day you may prefer inside.

2014-05-28 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

So this week I get serious.  Really.  This week run every day, and swim every day.  Without fail.  Day 2 on the books.  It's short, but you've got to start a base somewhere.

2014-05-28 4:21 PM
in reply to: sk2a2005

User image

Regular
Originally posted by sk2a2005

I plan on bringing back the glass water for the swim.

I'm holding you to that.
2014-05-29 6:23 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by jashac

So this week I get serious.  Really.  This week run every day, and swim every day.  Without fail.  Day 2 on the books.  It's short, but you've got to start a base somewhere.

Yeap! Time to get serious.....it's around the corner :-)

Just came back from a 12 day trip to Tuscany.....way 2 much wine and food :-)

Was your skiing season fabulous?

Happy and safe training!

Alicia
2014-06-02 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4999566

I'm signed up for IMFL. My second IM. First was 3 years ago IMCanada. After having a really tough swim at Galveston 70.3 this year I'm really nervous for Florida now. I have had some practice in nice clear waters of Bermuda but I didn't have the surf and chop to deal with. I'm heading out to florida in August to ride the course and get some swimming in. Does anyone have any words of advice to get past those breakers. Also which side should I practice more to be breathing on. I'm generally a right side breather which I think this was my problem in galveston As the waves crashed in my face. I have been practicing left side breathing but I just wanted some tips from previous IMFL finishers.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79315 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133305 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180432 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241600 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136619 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!