General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-07-11 9:19 AM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread
Originally posted by midwesttrimom
I have a couple of questions for the experienced IM athletes:

1) When do you usually show up the race venue the week of the race? I will be arriving in Florida on Thursday so
hoping that is enough time to check out the course, swim in the ocean 1-2 times, get comfortable with the temp, etc. I
don't really have many other options but suddenly feel like it's not enough time.

2) From airport to host hotel??? Transportation?? Is there an IM shuttle, do I take a cab, or should I rent some
sort of transportation?

3) Bike- my husband and three kids are driving from Iowa with my bike. It's a 22 hour drive WITHOUT any stops (so with 3
kids it will easily take 2 FULL days). My bike won't be there until late Thursday or early Friday. This concerns me. Was wondering
if you recall how early bikes have to be in transition.

Sorry to bore you with questions, but starting to have a TON of them!!

Hope everyone is having a blast !
I last minute signed up for a sprint TRI this weekend. I am pumped !
I love that i still get excited before a race even after completing dozens of them.

To answer your questions :

1- I bought my plane tickets this week. I am travelling with my wife and two kids. We will fly direct to Orlando and spend 3 days there at the park where there are mice with big ears, It will be our first time there. We will drive to PCB on Monday the 27th. The kids have never been to the beach either, so we will spend the week there before the race. I will certainly make sure to join the group swim on friday.

Last year, at IMMT i arrived three days before the race, but i had already swam, biked and ran the course in the months prior. My advice is don't plan too tight a schedule, there is a lot of things to prepare and you will be stressed enough already !

2- I can't help you with that, dont know.

3- Bike and transition bags need to be dropped off late afternoon on Friday. It will be in the detailled schedule available a couple of weeks before the race.

Have a great preparation, be safe and stay healthy !

2014-07-11 8:25 PM
in reply to: dge12

User image

Originally posted by dge12

I have a couple of questions for the experienced IM athletes:

1) When do you usually show up the race venue the week of the race? I will be arriving in Florida on Thursday so
hoping that is enough time to check out the course, swim in the ocean 1-2 times, get comfortable with the temp, etc. I
don't really have many other options but suddenly feel like it's not enough time.

2) From airport to host hotel??? Transportation?? Is there an IM shuttle, do I take a cab, or should I rent some
sort of transportation?

3) Bike- my husband and three kids are driving from Iowa with my bike. It's a 22 hour drive WITHOUT any stops (so with 3
kids it will easily take 2 FULL days). My bike won't be there until late Thursday or early Friday. This concerns me. Was wondering
if you recall how early bikes have to be in transition.

Sorry to bore you with questions, but starting to have a TON of them!!

Hope everyone is having a blast !
I last minute signed up for a sprint TRI this weekend. I am pumped !
I love that i still get excited before a race even after completing dozens of them.

To answer your questions :

1- I bought my plane tickets this week. I am travelling with my wife and two kids. We will fly direct to Orlando and spend 3 days there at the park where there are mice with big ears, It will be our first time there. We will drive to PCB on Monday the 27th. The kids have never been to the beach either, so we will spend the week there before the race. I will certainly make sure to join the group swim on friday.

Last year, at IMMT i arrived three days before the race, but i had already swam, biked and ran the course in the months prior. My advice is don't plan too tight a schedule, there is a lot of things to prepare and you will be stressed enough already !

2- I can't help you with that, dont know.

3- Bike and transition bags need to be dropped off late afternoon on Friday. It will be in the detailled schedule available a couple of weeks before the race.

Have a great preparation, be safe and stay healthy !

Thanks for the info. I will be flying in on Wed afternoon, but not arriving at PCB until Thursday. My family will be driving down (I
think that's the decision we've reached). My husband will be bringing my bike so he is leaving on Tuesday PM I believe. He should
get to PCB on Thursday as well. I do plan to get in at least two swims- one on Thurs and one on Friday. Hoping that will ease
some of my stress! Have a blast at Disney World! You will love it! We took our kids there for the first time about a year and a half ago!
So much fun!
2014-07-15 9:06 AM

Regular
Houston, Texas
I might be stating the obvious but keep in mind that you have to check in on Wednesday or Thursday. There is no athlete check in on Friday. I think it closes at 5 on Thursday.
2014-07-15 9:29 AM
in reply to: awal1

User image

Originally posted by awal1

I might be stating the obvious but keep in mind that you have to check in on Wednesday or Thursday. There is no athlete check in on Friday. I think it closes at 5 on Thursday.

Thanks. I did see that and that's why I decided to get in on Wed. However, I will not have a place to stay on-site that night but thinking
I may still be able to take a cab over to check in or something and then swing back. Looks like you don't have to have your bike there
until Friday, right?
2014-07-15 9:53 AM

Regular
Houston, Texas
Correct. Bike check and transition bag drop off is on Friday. You just have to check in on Wed and Thurs.
2014-07-22 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

There are taxis at the airport in PCB...its about a 20 minute drive to the race venue.  I like getting there on weds.  Check in is SO MUCH EASIER than on thursday when thee will be a huge line.  Its a lot of time on your feet.  Lots of standing around which we all want to minimize of course

I have done/ been at this race every years since 2006.  For those not staying close enough to walk to the race site beware where you park.  The locals like to make money towing cars. 

You MUST check in Weds or thursday, bike and bags need to be dropped off friday

Trick or treating always comes up.  They will have that in the expo and there are local malls where you can do that kind of thing too, or take a stroll the the run course  

2014-07-23 9:12 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Guys, we are 100 days out.
Are you nervous ?

I am so pumped up. Hope i can keep the motivation sky high for the next 100 days !
2014-07-23 12:11 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by dge12 Guys, we are 100 days out. Are you nervous ? I am so pumped up. Hope i can keep the motivation sky high for the next 100 days !

Not nervous but not looking forward to the weekly century rides either..............

2014-07-24 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Not getting nervous; really enjoying training right now. I am training with a friend who lives in my neighborhood and we did this race together in 2011. We upped out training plan to another level and surprised that it isn't to terrible.
2014-07-25 6:20 AM
in reply to: sk2a2005

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Me too! I am not really nervous :-) I am really enjoying and appreciating my body's ability to do the training. After Louisville IM in 2011 I was sidelined one week after for a long time due to medical issues ( not related to triathlon) so now I am just loving every minute of it!

Doing an Olympic tri this Sunday :-)......

Happy and sage training to all :-)

Alicia
2014-07-25 3:45 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by dge12

Guys, we are 100 days out.
Are you nervous ?

I am so pumped up. Hope i can keep the motivation sky high for the next 100 days !

Yeah, time is flying. A group of us signed up for the full aquabike in OKC on Sep 20. It will really start to feel real around then.

My PF flared up, so runs are no fun at all. I'm trying EPAT and also going to PT, plus all the home remedies. It's a true test of pain management for the first 3/4 mile of every run, and then it numbs a bit and I can get through at least a 10 mile run. But that's a far cry from 26.

So I'm hitting the bike pretty hard, and enjoying that.

2014-07-28 12:43 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by mbwallis
Originally posted by dge12 Guys, we are 100 days out. Are you nervous ? I am so pumped up. Hope i can keep the motivation sky high for the next 100 days !
Yeah, time is flying. A group of us signed up for the full aquabike in OKC on Sep 20. It will really start to feel real around then. My PF flared up, so runs are no fun at all. I'm trying EPAT and also going to PT, plus all the home remedies. It's a true test of pain management for the first 3/4 mile of every run, and then it numbs a bit and I can get through at least a 10 mile run. But that's a far cry from 26. So I'm hitting the bike pretty hard, and enjoying that.
  Get a night splint if you don't have one it will help a lot. Also look at the wear and tear on whatever shoes you wear doing non training hours.  I got new work shoes and it helped a TON........of course mine were like 3-4 years old.  I hate shoes

2014-07-28 1:10 PM

User image

Well, did a HIM in Minnesota this weekend and it was pretty decent. Swim was a bit slower than I would have thought/hoped. I would have guessed my time at least a minute or two faster so thinking it may have been long. It was really windy and wondering if the buoys had moved. Bike was better than I expected at 19.4 mph! I was thinking I would be lucky to be just over 18 mph so thrilled! Same as my HIM last year and I was doing speed work twice a week! My run was NOT FAST. I had planned to take it easy on my run so it could be a good test to see where I am at. I really sandbagged and should have ran faster (hindsight). I could have easily been in the 8:40 range per mile and ended up just over 9 minute miles. I walked a lot more than I was going to allow myself, but had met some great people and we enjoyed ourselves. Ended up with an OA time of 5 minutes faster than my last HIM and this course was, by far, more challenging. HILLS on the run! I feel like I am where I should be for about 1/2 way through my IM training.
2014-07-29 9:50 AM

User image

Thats great to hear Midwesttrimom !
Awesome job on that 1/2IM !

Heres to feeling confident in preparation for IMFL !
2014-07-29 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Can I borrow some of your motivation?  Mine seems to be lacking a bit.  Trying to get fired up, but still missing too many workouts.  Having too many unplanned rest days.  On the plus side my run speed is improving.  On the minus side I really have been avoiding the pool. 

2014-07-30 9:31 AM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Originally posted by jashac
Can I borrow some of your motivation?  Mine seems to be lacking a bit.  Trying to get fired up, but still missing too many workouts.  Having too many unplanned rest days.  On the plus side my run speed is improving.  On the minus side I really have been avoiding the pool. 

Hang in there ... about 3 months to go.

I have good days, and bad. I am in a bad streak since monday, my hamstring/knee is flaring up badly. Have to take it easy on the workouts

2014-07-30 10:28 AM

User image

I think I'd pay large sums of $$ for my run times to increase. I haven't been this slow in 10 years and it's a tough pill to swallow. Way to go! I have to start feeling better on my short run days soon don't I? )
2014-07-30 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I think I'd pay large sums of $$ for my run times to increase. I haven't been this slow in 10 years and it's a tough pill to swallow. Way to go! I have to start feeling better on my short run days soon don't I? )

Isn't it funny how fast is a relative term?   In your half this last weekend your ran the 1/2 mary at a 9 min pace.  I'm excited because on my shorter runs I'm now running faster than a 10 min pace.  I'd love to have your 9 min speed, especially at that distance.  Anyway, nice 1/2 last weekend.  Do you have a goal time for Florida?

2014-07-30 5:40 PM

User image

Isn't it funny how fast is a relative term?   In your half this last weekend your ran the 1/2 mary at a 9 min pace.  I'm excited because on my shorter runs I'm now running faster than a 10 min pace.  I'd love to have your 9 min speed, especially at that distance.  Anyway, nice 1/2 last weekend.  Do you have a goal time for Florida?

Thanks. I am not quite sure about my goal for Florida. I walked much of the 1/2 last weekend and feel pretty guilty about it, so I guess if I can sort of do what I did during the marathon I would be THRILLED. I am guessing 11-12 min pace would be expected. I need to sit down and figure out exactly where I hope to be at the finish line, but I think off the top of my head I'd say UNDER 15 hours. I will come up with an ultimate (great day/best case) goal, a reasonable (I'm still happy with it) goal and then there's always the JUST FINISH. Honestly, I'd be happy with that this first go round too. What about you?
2014-07-31 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4895018

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
I did IMFL in 2011 as my first IM. Had a goal for finishing before the cut off time....really! Then as training went along I knew that I could finish well before the cut off. The started wishing for 14:30. Would have been ecstatic with that. Well all said and done I finished in 13:47. You just never know what the conditions will be! This year I'm just hoping that I can match or beat that time!! Conditions will be the MAJOR factor thought. Finishing week 11 and feeling really good. Long run, bike and swim left to do this week.
2014-08-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: sk2a2005

User image

Originally posted by sk2a2005

I did IMFL in 2011 as my first IM. Had a goal for finishing before the cut off time....really! Then as training went along I knew that I could finish well before the cut off. The started wishing for 14:30. Would have been ecstatic with that. Well all said and done I finished in 13:47. You just never know what the conditions will be! This year I'm just hoping that I can match or beat that time!! Conditions will be the MAJOR factor thought. Finishing week 11 and feeling really good. Long run, bike and swim left to do this week.

Wow, that is impressive!!! Great job! Hope you reach your goal of a PR this year. Lets pray for perfect conditions (so I don't drown in the ocean). )

2014-08-03 10:59 AM

User image

Subject: Hotel for my first night in
I will be flying in on Wed instead of Thursday now that I figured out it was probably the right thing to do. However, I don't have a hotel booked for that first night yet. I am staying at the host hotel on the beach the other 3 nights ($$$) only because I didn't know the area and literally booked 20 minutes after I got into the Ironman because I'd learned the hard way waiting in the past on things like this.

Any recommendations for a "reasonably" priced (yet decent) place to stay on Wed that would still be close to the race start
or maybe even near the airport that I could cab from to get to check-in on Wed?? I feel like it's a complete shot in the dark if I
just start calling random hotels.

Thanks!
2014-08-05 9:06 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Hotel for my first night in
There is a Hampton Inn, Hawthorne Suites and County Inn and Suites that would be a short taxi ride to the Ironman Village and on the way from the Airport. Hope this helps.
2014-08-05 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by midwesttrimom I will be flying in on Wed instead of Thursday now that I figured out it was probably the right thing to do. However, I don't have a hotel booked for that first night yet. I am staying at the host hotel on the beach the other 3 nights ($$$) only because I didn't know the area and literally booked 20 minutes after I got into the Ironman because I'd learned the hard way waiting in the past on things like this. Any recommendations for a "reasonably" priced (yet decent) place to stay on Wed that would still be close to the race start or maybe even near the airport that I could cab from to get to check-in on Wed?? I feel like it's a complete shot in the dark if I just start calling random hotels. Thanks!

Seriously if I were you I would go on VRBO and see if you can get a condo at Long boat, or shores of panama and ditch the hotel reservations.  You can your family will have a MUCH nicer place to stay and hang out and they are walkable.  Look at sunbird too.  They are all walking distance from the venue and a lot nicer than the hotel. 

2014-08-05 12:48 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by midwesttrimom I will be flying in on Wed instead of Thursday now that I figured out it was probably the right thing to do. However, I don't have a hotel booked for that first night yet. I am staying at the host hotel on the beach the other 3 nights ($$$) only because I didn't know the area and literally booked 20 minutes after I got into the Ironman because I'd learned the hard way waiting in the past on things like this. Any recommendations for a "reasonably" priced (yet decent) place to stay on Wed that would still be close to the race start or maybe even near the airport that I could cab from to get to check-in on Wed?? I feel like it's a complete shot in the dark if I just start calling random hotels. Thanks!

Seriously if I were you I would go on VRBO and see if you can get a condo at Long boat, or shores of panama and ditch the hotel reservations.  You can your family will have a MUCH nicer place to stay and hang out and they are walkable.  Look at sunbird too.  They are all walking distance from the venue and a lot nicer than the hotel. 

+1. There appears to be plenty of availability at the Shores of Panama, which is about 0.5 miles away at most. We have a nice condo on the 9th floor, overlooking the gulf.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida 2014 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 79277 Posts: 1004

2013-11-07 12:37 PM speedzilla

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by mikerunkle
Views: 133299 Posts: 1587

2012-12-22 8:28 PM LarchmontTri

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Started by boxer
Views: 180426 Posts: 2171

2011-12-09 9:23 PM kandk

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by jbrenneman
Views: 241596 Posts: 2583

2011-06-13 9:39 PM aintaround

Ironman Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 136615 Posts: 2045

2010-01-13 8:31 AM ShawnFromNorfolk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!