General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 San Juan : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-09 7:38 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Ironman 70.3 San Juan : Official Thread
I'm having trouble getting motivated. :(

This is going to be my first half and I should be excited, but I constantly feel overwhelmed and behind on my training (because I am).

Looking for any advice/words of encouragement for the journey ahead of me.

Thanks.

2013-11-29 4:41 PM
in reply to: missyw2you

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 San Juan : Official Thread
You can do it!!!!!!!!!!
2014-01-19 1:52 PM

User image

New user

12 weeks!! 

2014-03-12 5:03 PM

User image

New user

The race is only a month away!! Wondering if any more BTs have signed up.

2014-03-14 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I am In. Going to get sun burnt reallly bad
2014-03-17 5:44 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I did this event last year. I wish I was doing it this year.

You've got this... just enjoy the journey.  It is an absolutely beautiful course that I look forward to doing again some day.

The swim is one of the most gorgeous I've done, yet.  The bike is flat and fast.... the only thing that counts as a hill are highway overpasses & on-ramps. Watch out for dead iguana

It's going to be hot and humid, and that will make it slightly brutal when you get to the run, especially outside the city walls, but stay within yourself and just keep putting one foot in front of the other.   If you have the opportunity to do any sort of heat acclimatization before then, that will help you greatly.  I suggest riding the trainer in a closed room with the heat turned up.  Maybe turn off the fans.  Maybe wear a cycling jacket.... anything to increase your body temp while training to help you get used to it.  I wouldn't start that sort of heat training until you are just a few weeks out from the race, however, so you don't compromise otherwise decent training opportunities.

2014-03-18 3:56 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Extreme Veteran
Do I even bother to bring my wetsuit
2014-03-18 5:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Cleveland

That's a tough one.  They tell you to bring it because if there is even a remote possibility of it being legal, they're going to let you use it.  I took mine and it never left the suitcase, much less the hotel room.

The race is a month later this year than last and in reality, we weren't even close to legal last year. Looking back at my race report, water temp one year ago was 78F.   I would expect it to be even warmer in April.

The water is so buoyant in the lagoon that you won't miss it at all.   I'm a leg sinker, and I was able to float on my back while messing around before a practice swim and got my legs floated and feet up out of the water with no effort.  During the race, I felt quite well floated on the surface - as if I was wearing the suit.

In short, if you pack your stuff and have room left in your bags for it, then why not?  Beyond that, I don't think I'd bother unless a major cold front pushes through and hovers there for a week right before the race.

Edited by cgregg 2014-03-18 5:06 PM
2014-03-18 8:35 PM

User image

New user
Thanks for all the great encouragement and advice!! I'm looking forward to soaking in some sun -- and also most likely getting bad sunburn -- but enjoying my first half.
2014-03-23 7:03 PM

User image

New user

Brick, New Jersey
Hey you'll.

Erik here. This 70.3 was my first one last year. I went under prepared, and still managed to finish. I am also doing it this year and I am training and looking forward to it. I do have three pointers for the event. If its your first focus on pace, enjoying and just finishing. Learn a lot and have patience. First one is the swim, since there are a few waves, it can give time to freak out a bit. Don't use this time to enjoy, recap, and think about your plan. I thought too much of the swim, when I started, in the first two hundred meters I was still freaked out for no reason. As I treaded water I actually thought of heading for sore and quiting, out of fear. I wasn't tired just a little frreaked out, LOL. Here is the reality and what I put in my head so I can continue on with what would be a great beautiful event. There are buoys every hundred meters to your right the entire time, up to the Dos Hermano bridge. At the time I weight 200lbs and they could hold my weight pretty easy, so worst case scenario you can hold on. The swim is in the bay for the most part and probably the best part of the race because you are not baking.

Second part of the race is the bike. Try to bring nutrition on the bike, you will have a chance to gather more water on the course, but there isn't any real nutrition, and since its flat and a little faster, you can tend to over do it and the extra nutrition comes in handy, specially if it gets a little windy on the final way back. The sights are beautiful and back by the locals which admire us crazy folks for this noble undertaking. I was one of the last wave and even got to see the pros on their way back, it was motivating. Once you make the turn back to JFK blvd, or route 5, by the dealerships, it is smooth sailing. Only other important note on this is, pace and focus, you will need it on a 56 mile bike in the sun. Always think about the bike not the run at this point, one thing a time. Just follow your pace.

Finally, T2 and the run. I was so motivated by crushing the bike and overcoming a fear of open water swim, that I wanted to blow out of T2 and try to put together a tuff run. Big mistake, because I didn't use my head. I did not apply sun block which they help with going out of T2 and I was sun burnt for a while at the end of it. My race number was visible for 8 months later. Sun block on bike and run, if not, it might cause a painful recovery post race. The two hills are painful, and I would caution your pace or trying to power over them, there are two, and the second, hill at the avenida de la princessa, is a brutal uphill. Also, out by the water is really hot, like Kona hot. If you can grab a bottle of water before turning left by El Morro, the old fort, biggest one, take one with you, once down the hill and you go through the gates, its a lava field out there and your are there for about two miles. You will need it, it can deflate a good runner and if your in pain, a little cool water splash can do the trick to keep you going. The bad news is you have to do it twice. And the second time you know what to expect, so execute some patience and know after going back up the monster hill for the second time you can gobble down some coke, it helps a lot and try to power home the last few miles.

I hope this helps and make you rock it. I will be taking all of this advice and stay motivated. My number is 908-472-1861. I get in to Puerto Rico on the 8 April. Hope you see you folks out there and have fun.

-Erik
2014-03-25 10:52 AM
in reply to: juquendo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bike is tuned up ready to go all. Long runs swims and bikes done. Need to pack but all else is ready to go.

Time to light this Candle

2014-03-25 2:56 PM
in reply to: juquendo

User image

New user

Great info Erik! Thank you!

2014-04-02 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Numbers are up

got 517

looks like less than 1000 entries
2014-04-02 12:24 PM

User image

New user
Iowa
I'm IN! I haven't been on the forums here in awhile but have been using the training log via my phone. This is my first 70.3 and am SO STOKED! I am doing it with my cousin and he's done it a few times before.

Question re: bike shipping - I'm bringing mine on the plane in a bike box as TriBike transport doesn't have an affiliate where I live. Hoping finding a van taxi that will fit the box won't be TOO hard. This thought just occurred to me last week and i don't really want to rent a car for just that purpose. Does anyone have any experience with bike transport outside of TriBike Transport?

Oh and I just looked - I'm #135!

Thanks and good luck!
Elena

Edited by etakla 2014-04-02 12:29 PM
2014-04-02 1:27 PM
in reply to: etakla

User image

Extreme Veteran
some local bike shops will loan you there bike case and even pack it for a fee. Its not to hard to reassemble if you have some hex wrenches. then have the local techs check it out to make sure you did it ok. are you staying at the host hotel. My wife can not wait to sit on the beach
2014-04-02 1:49 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by etakla Hoping finding a van taxi that will fit the box won't be TOO hard. 

I seem to recall that most every taxi at the airport was either a large passenger van or a minivan.  I don't think you'll have any problem, and I don't think you'll be the only person there doing this.... they're probably expecting it.

2014-04-02 9:08 PM

User image

New user

bib 112 here!!

I opted to rent a bike. No tribike transport near me either. And airline fees or even ups/fedex shipping fees to PR weren't cheap by any means.

We are 10 days out, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up - but currently the weather is forecasted to be overcast on race day. That could really help beat the heat. The temperature will still be warm  85*, but the sun beating down makes it so much hotter. Or at least seem that way.

2014-04-03 10:39 AM

User image

New user
Iowa
Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by etakla Hoping finding a van taxi that will fit the box won't be TOO hard. 

I seem to recall that most every taxi at the airport was either a large passenger van or a minivan.  I don't think you'll have any problem, and I don't think you'll be the only person there doing this.... they're probably expecting it.

Good to hear on the taxi situation - and agreed on plenty of others in the same boat! I am a first timer HIM and also a first born child tho......... First children are super anal and prone to worry - LOL!
2014-04-03 10:42 AM

User image

New user
Iowa
Originally posted by missyw2you

bib 112 here!!

I opted to rent a bike. No tribike transport near me either. And airline fees or even ups/fedex shipping fees to PR weren't cheap by any means.

We are 10 days out, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up - but currently the weather is forecasted to be overcast on race day. That could really help beat the heat. The temperature will still be warm  85*, but the sun beating down makes it so much hotter. Or at least seem that way.

I actually looked in to the bike rental - I emailed the three bike shops listed on the site but no luck! I'm not particularly attached to my bike so figured it would be OK and save the $$$ - I actually had NO idea the bike thing would be so expensive. Guess I just didn't think about it cuz I've never flown to a race.

So I'm the F45-49 age group and start the swim in the first wave behind the pros at 7am. I'm excited about that! Good to hear about overcast although my kids will probably be annoyed I know it can change but for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed it won't!
2014-04-03 11:50 AM

User image

New user

My boyfriend is from PR and did some scoping for rentals while he was home visiting at Christmas. Not sure the bike shop's name, I know it isn't one of the 3 sponsor shops. I am getting a great deal - I am picking the bike up on Thursday, they are going to put my pedals and seat on the bike, fit me on it, and I will return it Monday - all for $150. 

When are you leaving for PR? I can get back to you on the place's name if you want to still try to get a rental! 

The weather changes, especially this far out. Right now the week leading up to race day is partly cloudy and mid to upper 80s. Sounds good to me! 

I'm in the 1st wave too!! And also first time half-er. I'm particularly hoping for overcast because I am on the slower side so I will be out on the course most of the allowed time, but I am going to cross the finish line and that's what matters!! Can't wait! 

Edited by missyw2you 2014-04-03 11:50 AM
2014-04-03 11:57 AM

User image

New user
Iowa
If you do get the name that would be great! I have my head around taking my bike but wouldn't mind contacting the shop anyways just to see

I'm leaving a week from today for PR - so excited because Iowa weather has been crap I will look for you race day too - especially since we both start the same time! Which hotel are you at? Or maybe you got lucky and boyfriends family is hosting you!

2014-04-03 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4895819

User image

New user
The place is called Ciclo Pedal.

Luckily, yes, his mom is happy to have us stay at her place. So that's where I'll be most of my trip, but Saturday and Sunday night I'll be staying at the Condado.
2014-04-03 2:14 PM

User image

New user
Iowa
That's where we are too! I'll definitely look out for you. Good Luck! We can both rock this as our first HIM!
2014-04-08 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
dang this week is going slow 50 hours till I get to the beach
2014-04-15 9:05 PM

Man that was a very hot \ humid \ windy day in San Juan. Seemed like we all had a sufferfest day. Race was well run and organized. However, couldn't believe all the bike drafting going on.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 San Juan : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 San Juan : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by cgregg
Views: 6183 Posts: 43

2013-03-13 1:36 PM cgregg

Ironman 70.3 San Juan : Official Thread

Started by eliwashere
Views: 1618 Posts: 2

2012-09-28 9:56 AM cgregg

Ironman San Juan : Official Thread

Started by rayman350
Views: 1414 Posts: 2

2011-02-24 9:41 AM millarg

Ironman 70.3 San Juan, Puerto Rico : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by nelsonv
Views: 12161 Posts: 34

2016-01-22 10:11 AM thetriathlonguy

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30683 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.