Endurance Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Lollygagged in bed until it got to panic time to try and get up, try to figure out what the heck to put on, and then try and get to the race site at Navy Pier...

Basically it resembled a 3 Stooges routine except there were only 2 of us and a lot less "nyuking"
Event warmup:

Try to get a Divvy bike, but the machine wouldn't take Tony's card so jog up to Michigan Ave to try and get a cab. We were able to wave one down and almost immediately regretted it as the smell of smoke was completely overpowering. Despite the chill in the air, we put down the windows as FAR as they could go and then made the mistake of not telling the driver to take a different route from where he was heading and promptly hit the traffic of everyone else trying to get to the race.

Eventually we just told him to pull over, we jumped out and started jogging towards Navy Pier without knowing where the start line was - we just kept jogging in the same direction (east) that we saw others going in... and then all of a sudden we heard the starting horn and people were running towards us! ACK!

Okay, need to get out of the way, and yet still try to get to the starting line... um... though this door? Um.. though this building? Um... towards the outside? Finally - people! Um.. but there's no one else for the 10km - they all have the 10 miler bibs on.

Yep, we were THE LAST people to cross the start line for the 10km run. Oh well, at least we got there, right?
Run
  • 1h 00m 38s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 04s  min/km
Comments:

For just having done B2B 140.6 two weeks ago, I had NO idea what to expect.

The first 1/2 of the race was spent trying to weave our way through the throngs of people as we were the last ones across the start line. It was a gorgeous day, and I really didn't care about my pace - I just wanted to get out and get this done.

The whole first 1/2 actually felt pretty good - but I could tell as we kept going that my legs were getting tired and various body parts were telling me what an idiot I was.

I felt REALLY bad for the 10 milers whom the RD had start 15 minutes after the 10km people left, so the ridiculously fast people caught up to us before we had made it to the split off point for 10km and 10miile. Those poor guys... having to try and weave their way around all of us 10 km stragglers must have been really frustrating for them. As this was the inaugural race, I hope this is something that will be addressed for future years.

Anyways, back to the race day for Tony and I... and by mile 5 it was JUST at 50 minutes according to my watch. If I hustled (or if I could get my legs to hustle even just a little bit) I could break an hour! C'MOOOONNNNNN LEGS!

Yeah, it wasn't to be. The time ticked by and my legs just didn't have anything left in them to give, so as I saw my watch tick over the 1 hour mark I really wasn't that upset. I was still around my normally slow run pace, and I got to be out running on a gorgeous morning.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing that I can really think of other than get there before EVERYONE else had crossed the start line. Whooops!
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and looked for Jon & Jen Schmit as I knew that Jen was running the 10 miler, but we didn't see them so headed inside to the expo area, got some REALLY bad, skunky beer that we decided not to drink because it sucked so bad.

Walked over to Yolk to have some breakfast where I got to find out something fun! The thermal running tights I wore today had a hole in the knee, but what I didn't know until I sat down was that waaaaaaayyyy up on my left inner thigh were two, yes TWO, massive holes that were only being held together by a mere thread. I was that one little thread away from putting on a completely inappropriate show for anyone that wasn't paying money for it. As discretely as possible I grabbed the napkin off the table and covered my lap while wondering how I was going to get home without causing a scene...

Those tights are now in the garbage and new ones ordered... the only question I have for myself, is given the 50-60* weather out, how the hell did I not feel the... um... "breeze" happening down there???

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Possibly the 140.6 two weeks before, or it could be that I'm just slower than frozen molasses. :)

Event comments:

Pretty good for the first year of this race! Great weather helped a LOT, but I really do hope that the race directors figure out a better way to get the 10 milers some free running space instead of having to try and weave their way through us slow 10km people.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-11-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:38 | 10 kms | 06m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: South from Navy Pier along the lake shore towards the Field Museum, a little loop action along the streets and then back on the Lake Front Trail back to Navy Pier
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-10 9:49 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10K

2013-11-11 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4896202

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10K

Awesome, just got to the start line in time….worked with what your legs wanted to give you 2 weeks after an IM.  YOU rock!

2013-11-11 7:32 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

YAY you Ms. Speedy  

2013-11-11 12:25 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Seattle

Better late than never?

Nice job, you crazy, but nice job! 

2013-11-11 12:57 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
You're my hero! Nice job!
2013-11-11 2:44 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Thanks everyone!  

Yes, indeed - better late than never, but I don't think I ever want to be that late to a race again!  

Even better is that the new running tights should get here today - no more potential (and unintended) indecent exposures.    

2013-11-12 12:54 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pennsylvania

Nice race, Monica!  Glad it went well after the craziness to get to the starting line.  New tights - YAY!!!!

2013-12-05 1:22 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Who needs a starting line??

Running, let alone attempting to jog or move at a brisk pace after an IM, takes a lot of determination - nice job.

Next time, can you at least use 'murikan units instead of that dang Metric system??

2013-12-26 2:36 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well, at least you got to run through more of the field by starting in the back?  

Great effort so soon after a BIG race - nicely done. (I'm just hurting thinking about it).

Congrats on the race!

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10K

Started by lee-j
Views: 817 Posts: 1

2013-09-03 8:54 AM lee-j

Started by sbsmann
Views: 755 Posts: 2

2012-12-03 2:16 PM djdavey

Started by kim39
Views: 881 Posts: 1

2012-11-10 4:06 PM kim39

Chicago's Perfect 10 - 10 Mile

Started by lizohal
Views: 1541 Posts: 4

2012-11-12 9:49 AM lizohal

Started by pjgrande
Views: 943 Posts: 1

2011-11-20 1:28 AM pjgrande
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Every athlete can benefit from a quick cadence no matter if they are an Olympic distance racer or Ironman veteran. Take the time to work on your cadence and you will see many benefits.

date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?
date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.
date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.