Team Magic
86F / 30C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 31m 16s
Overall Rank = 140/347
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/25
Pre-race routine:

Let me first start this RR saying this is the first race I ever did last year, so this was my anniversery into triathlon and BT. I had big expectations for this race because I really wanted to see how much I fared and improved over my last years time.
Second I want to start this RR saying everthing you can do wrong to race and train for an event, I think I did for this race.
It started last Sunday when I got the flu from my son and missed two days work and my training workouts for all week. I was really sick and rarely miss work and sure would not miss a whole week of training.
Event warmup:

I went last night to pick up my race packet in the rain, resolved to the fact I would just be a jockstrapper for this race since I really had no energy and still felt like crap from being sick. I had taken a good amount of my cough medicine Tussinex (lets just say NECTAR OF THE GODS) and decided to drink.
So on the night before the event I had some mexican food and 9 beers... Oh and some damn good cold medicine. When I got to the house I was feeling pretty damn good about myself and my chances to race the next day, so I packed my stuff and prepared to get some sleep. Funny thing is Tussinex makes me wide awake... So after 20 minutes of sleep I was up for the night. Finally at 430 am I got up and ate a bagle, took another swig of tussinex and headed to the race site.
Swim
  • 07m 17s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first 200 I was golden, everything felt like is was churning on all cylinders, then reality of not steeping in a pool for a week set in.
I wondered as I had 100 yards left how I could finish and if it hadnt been for the deep in, I could have walked. Exited the pool and walked (yes I know) walked to the T1 area... Tried to catch my breath

Time to beat from last year7:42
What would you do differently?:

not be sick, train...
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Walked to my bike, I was number 81 and 3 racks in... put on helemt and glasses, this is whn I noticed it was raining.
walked my bike out of T1... Got on bike and away we go....

time to beat 2:13

not walk...
Bike
  • 52m 33s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 18.84 mile/hr
Comments:

This was actually the only part I thought I could get thru, I just wondered if in my high on cough medicine state, I could control the bike.
Took some time getting my feet in my shoes because I was wobly.
tried to attack on the bike but about half way thru I knew at this point I just needed to survive this thing; rain was coming down pretty hard. I passed a lot of people on the bike which suprised me.
About half way in I told myself if I could make it to the run I would walk it all.
Felt like I would pass out several times and had to get out of aero to that feeling passed.
Took a gel with a mile to go and new that would be a problem later.
Finished bike, thinking damn I am so glad that was over...

time to beat 55:12

same as above
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Actually felt good coming into T2 cause I knew I could walk the run. Ran with the bike.
T2 went pretty smooth, rain stopped finally.

time to beat 1:38

same as above
Run
  • 28m 21s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt better than I thought or I just wanted to get done, so I didnt stop to walk like I told myself earlier on the bike.
Could feel gel wanting to come up a few times around mile 1 and I ended up peeing on myself at mile 2. Over all run, was like a LSD and felt ok. I just felt very fatigued and was glad when it was over.

Time to beat 27:49

same
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down, hung around and waited for everyone to finish. Got something in my belly grabbed my stuff and came the whole home. Took a shower and slept for the next 6 hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

9 beers the night before,
High on cough medicine,
Maybe some training the week before,
Some type of nutrition plan that week,

But I did beat my time from Last year and my very first Tri ever... Even high I have some skilzzz

Event comments:

Over all I am glad I did the race, so I could justify picking up my race packet.
I dont know if I would do it again but I am glad it is over now... I sure the hell would not have did it, if the race would have been a OLY.

Now I am off to take more cough medicine..

Last updated: 2006-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:17 | 300 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/347
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, My warm up consisted of 100 yards of swimming where I then drug myself out of the water and sat on the edge of the pool all leg shacky, high, and wondering what I was doing.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:52:33 | 16.5 miles | 18.84 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Course was a very hilly 1 loop around the park, last 4 miles were on very bumpy crappy road. It poured the rain the whole time...
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:21 | 03 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Performance:
1 mile 9:07 didnt see mile two finish 19:17
Course: out and back on park road with one pretty descent hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-30 7:53 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon

2006-07-30 8:09 PM
in reply to: #497666

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: RE: Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon

ok I am going to sound like your mother but i hope someone else was driving with nine beers and cough medicine in you...if you were driving we all feel so safe out there now .

Um well of course it must feel ..or it SHOULD feel really great to know that you can be as sick and as high as you were and still beat your last year time and smoke so many of us! Goes to show you how much work you have put in over the year and how you were able to dig deep for the foundation you set even with all that 'interesting, non training stuff' going on.

Great job for sticking it out. As a former coach, I applaud the determination and perseverance. Oh and thanks for putting air in my tires. I know I know.

2006-07-30 8:33 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Wow.  My head hurts just reading it - congrats on not dying halfway through!
2006-07-30 10:54 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

That's some gnarly stuff, bro.  And you did manage to beat most of your times from last year....you gotta consider that a victory. 

Mexican?  9 beers?  Giddyup.  You're ready to race in Michigan. 

2006-07-31 6:48 AM

Champion

Hahahaha....9 beers for this race, imagine how many you'd have to drink to do an Ironman!  Congrats on getting through a tough day, it just shows your will-power and determination are tops!

2006-07-31 7:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Wayt to go, although I'm starting to worry that there might need to be an intervention about the cough medicine!

2006-07-31 7:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Geesh... can't believe you managed that race with the beers the night before, the weeklong illness and the cough medicine. And you still managed to beat your time from the year before!

I hope you feel better soon!

2006-07-31 9:27 AM

User image

chattanooga
I echo everyone's sentiments-Way to go! Shows how much your training has paid off so that you can overcome adversity and stick it out to a great finish.
2006-07-31 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
I set out trying to find you at the race Saturday. There were about 10 people with the same bike shirt that you have on in your picture. When I get to these races everyone looks the same. You did great for being so sick. I was sick Monday and Tuesday and almost considered cancelling but had already paid and figured I would just give it my best. I got to feeling better by Saturday but missed all my training. You doing Hendersonville in August?
2006-07-31 6:12 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Way to suck it up and go out there and race. As always a pleasure to see the other part of the two headed chris!! Oh and next time bring the MFN candy corns!!!
2006-07-31 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

See!!  My kinda pre-race taper is awesome stuff!! You should listen to me more often!!

2006-08-01 4:35 PM

User image

Nashville
you peed on yourself? NO MORE COUGH MEDICINE! you may need an intervention. Hah Hah,
thanks for racking my bike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon Rss Feed