General Discussion Triathlon Talk » no more running, help me get back into the gym Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-11 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: no more running, help me get back into the gym
So after 4 years of running a lot I am out due to a damaged nerve in my back caused by the relentless pounding of running up and down steep slopes. The never damage has caused some muscle atrophy in my right quad. The doctor has me on an anti inflammatory and another 'nerve chilling out drug", gabapentin.

Anyways,

I started swimming again last week and I love it. But it doesn't fill the void left by running.

I haven't been in the gym in 4 years and before that I was very sporadic and non systematic in my workouts.

I have surfed the net looking for some hints but I don't really like the websites I am finding.

I don't know how long I will be out from running and I suspect that even when I am allowed to return I won't be going for 4 hour runs anymore.

Right now, I am looking to take my time in the gym seriously, which is not something that I did before but something I did very well with running (although not so much with the time out for injury requirements). I loved lifting in high school and college even though I never really followed any programs.

I want to keep the swimming going. I figure 40 minutes in the pool then go to the weight room. But what do I do when I get to the weight room. I am planning 5 days a week, Mon-Fri. I was thinking for the first couple weeks just do one east set of all the exercises on each day.

Any advice appreciated.

2013-11-11 11:11 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: no more running, help me get back into the gym

Originally posted by BigDH So after 4 years of running a lot I am out due to a damaged nerve in my back caused by the relentless pounding of running up and down steep slopes. The never damage has caused some muscle atrophy in my right quad. The doctor has me on an anti inflammatory and another 'nerve chilling out drug", gabapentin. Anyways, I started swimming again last week and I love it. But it doesn't fill the void left by running. I haven't been in the gym in 4 years and before that I was very sporadic and non systematic in my workouts. I have surfed the net looking for some hints but I don't really like the websites I am finding. I don't know how long I will be out from running and I suspect that even when I am allowed to return I won't be going for 4 hour runs anymore. Right now, I am looking to take my time in the gym seriously, which is not something that I did before but something I did very well with running (although not so much with the time out for injury requirements). I loved lifting in high school and college even though I never really followed any programs. I want to keep the swimming going. I figure 40 minutes in the pool then go to the weight room. But what do I do when I get to the weight room. I am planning 5 days a week, Mon-Fri. I was thinking for the first couple weeks just do one east set of all the exercises on each day. Any advice appreciated.

Check out the Stronglifts program.  Simple.  3x a week.  Will definitely make you stronger.   I fell off the wagon about a month ago, but did it from May to September and really felt great!  

2013-11-12 12:57 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Champion
Calgary
thanks I checked it out. Considering I haven't been int he gym for 4 years would you really suggest going that heavy that quickly.
2013-11-12 11:05 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by BigDH thanks I checked it out. Considering I haven't been int he gym for 4 years would you really suggest going that heavy that quickly.

I started with the empty bar in May.  By Sept I was benching 155lbs 5x5, squatting 220lbs 5x5, and deadlifting 275 1x5.  That was even after a deload on squats and deadlifts in order to address some pain from form issues. 

It only goes as "heavy and fast" as you can handle.    I had never lifted before this program.

2013-11-14 12:21 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by BigDH thanks I checked it out. Considering I haven't been int he gym for 4 years would you really suggest going that heavy that quickly.

I started with the empty bar in May.  By Sept I was benching 155lbs 5x5, squatting 220lbs 5x5, and deadlifting 275 1x5.  That was even after a deload on squats and deadlifts in order to address some pain from form issues. 

It only goes as "heavy and fast" as you can handle.    I had never lifted before this program.

Thanks. I think I am going to give it a try. I am surprised by how much I am liking the gym.

The thing I have with when I googled the program is you take 1.5 minute breaks between sets and 3 minutes between excercises. For a guy who is used to running for 2+ hours straight or doing tempo run for an hour, that seems like a huge waste of time, I mean the sitting around and doing nothing.

Did you stick with those rest times?
2013-11-26 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by BigDH
Originally posted by moondawg14

Thanks. I think I am going to give it a try. I am surprised by how much I am liking the gym. The thing I have with when I googled the program is you take 1.5 minute breaks between sets and 3 minutes between excercises. For a guy who is used to running for 2+ hours straight or doing tempo run for an hour, that seems like a huge waste of time, I mean the sitting around and doing nothing. Did you stick with those rest times?

I "fiddle with" the rest times to make sure I make my reps.   So, if that last squat feels like I'm going to die, I stretch my rest time a little bit.  I "max out" at about 5 minutes.  It is a little bit of "sitting around."  If you can do it faster, especially at first,  I think it's fine to just do it as fast as you can.

Here's my HRM data from week 7 of the program: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/343946518

2013-11-27 12:15 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Thanks. I am in week two. Really enjoying it. Even the waiting around. If you give it your all for those 5 reps you need a break, so it doesn't feel like the wasted time I thought it would be. Still figuring out the weight I should use. I think I got the squat and bench figured out. Still figuring out the deadlift and the rows.

Fun though.
2013-11-30 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
With damaged nerve I would start with a low weight and slowly increase it. You do not want to get injured again.
Also, maybe you hire a trainer for at least a few sessions, so you know what to do.
2013-12-07 5:38 PM

I'm following Bill Starr's 5x5 program. It's awesome. I've been lifting for nearly three years, and took a brief hiatus recently...and came back to the gym, feeling uncertain as to how to get myself focused again. This program really did it for me, plus I've seen great strength gains, quickly...without injury. I hope you find a program that suits you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » no more running, help me get back into the gym Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

help me with what I think are underdeveloped back muscles

Started by BigDH
Views: 5459 Posts: 14

2011-08-02 6:37 PM charles-goff

Bike and run gym workouts

Started by jwooler
Views: 1577 Posts: 1

2009-06-18 12:34 PM jwooler

Bike and run gym workouts

Started by jwooler
Views: 1072 Posts: 1

2009-06-18 11:38 AM jwooler

To gym or not to gym?

Started by Mig
Views: 1853 Posts: 7

2008-09-02 3:15 PM Thaitri

Monkey Bar Gym...anyone heard of it?

Started by run joe run
Views: 1413 Posts: 3

2008-01-10 8:26 PM Pete5
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : December 14, 2011
comments : 0
After surgery for a herniated disc, is running causing a repeat injury?
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : January 17, 2011
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on running muscle imbalance correction, water running, overdistance training, back-to-back Olys, maintenance plans and speed and common age-grouper mistakes.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.