General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gotta swim a mile in 3 weeks. HELP! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-11 7:51 PM

Subject: gotta swim a mile in 3 weeks. HELP!
so I started swimming last year and have done 3 super sprint indoor tris. Well my fellow triathlete told me about a bigger tri that includes a mile swim. I wanted to challenge myself so I signed up even though the most distance I've done without stopping is 500 yrds. Now I'm freaking out a little. I've seen the 6 week program and think I could try to start at week 3 and see if I can push it a bit more,... but if you know of any other programs or have advice,... I'll take it!!!

Thanks!

2013-11-11 8:21 PM
in reply to: kirasanderson

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: gotta swim a mile in 3 weeks. HELP!

My first reaction is that you're just a troll, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, my advice would be to swallow your pride and drop out.  What you're considering is irresponsible and selfish and would only serve to endanger not only yourself, but also your fellow competitors and the lifeguards.  If you can't swim at least a mile in the pool then you have no business attempting it in a race.  If somebody says there's a training program that's going to take you from 500yds to a mile in three weeks then they're just blowing sunshine up your a**.

Mark

2013-11-11 8:22 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
If you can swim 500yds non stop you can swim a mile.

My advice is to get in the pool and do it. Preferably a couple times before the race.

Is this an OWS? Will it be your first?
2013-11-11 8:31 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
its kinda cold in the fall use a WETSUIT!!!
2013-11-12 12:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Look man. There are a few things that you need to get under your belt before that distance happens:
-swimming 10 laps is awesome...but you need get up to swimming 33 laps.
-Swimming in a pool is nothing like open-water.
-swimming in a wetsuit is nothing like swimming in your jammers.

I think you are shoveling out a truck-load of disrespect to the athletes that do these distances and do them well. There is no room in this sport for that kind of disrespect. You can not lie to yourself in distance swimming. The truth will catch up to you as soon as you put your face in the water.

I just don't see how you would be capable of getting the tools in your tool belt in such a short time.

2013-11-12 3:06 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Is this an indoor or an outdoor tri? How long does it take you to swim 500 yards? How many strokes does it take you to get across the pool?

2013-11-12 3:14 AM
in reply to: lifejustice

Originally posted by lifejusticeI think you are shoveling out a truck-load of disrespect to the athletes that do these distances and do them well. There is no room in this sport for that kind of disrespect

While I totally agree with the first and last part of your post, I definitely don't agree with this.

Doing tris isn't about paying respect to your competitors, it's about setting a goal and getting there.

There is a safety-line, which you should not cross, but other then that, give it everything you got.
2013-11-12 6:24 AM
in reply to: TobiasAK89

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Is this an open water swim? Have you ever done an open water swim? Have you ever swam in a wetsuit? How are you at sighting?

If you answer "yes" to the first question, and "no" or "i don't know" to any of the others, don't do the race. This is a safety issue, and nothing about you personally, disrespect, etc. Making the leap from a short pool swim to a mile OWS is a *big* leap, particularly if you are only 3 weeks away, and by your own words, freaking out a bit.

How long is the rest of the race? Is this an Olympic distance race?
2013-11-12 8:15 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by RedCorvette

My first reaction is that you're just a troll, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, my advice would be to swallow your pride and drop out.  What you're considering is irresponsible and selfish and would only serve to endanger not only yourself, but also your fellow competitors and the lifeguards.  If you can't swim at least a mile in the pool then you have no business attempting it in a race.  If somebody says there's a training program that's going to take you from 500yds to a mile in three weeks then they're just blowing sunshine up your a**.

Mark

This^^^^

There is a big difference between 500 yards and 1 mile. 500 yards is a warmup!

This is not a run where you can stop when your tired. If you can't do 500 yards without stopping now and you try a 1 mile OWS in 3 weeks, I give about a 5% chance of getting out of the water on your own. About a 50% of not coming out alive.

This is the irresponsible attempt, drop out now and train properly before trying this again.
2013-11-12 8:28 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Mike_D Is this an open water swim? Have you ever done an open water swim? Have you ever swam in a wetsuit? How are you at sighting? If you answer "yes" to the first question, and "no" or "i don't know" to any of the others, don't do the race. This is a safety issue, and nothing about you personally, disrespect, etc. Making the leap from a short pool swim to a mile OWS is a *big* leap, particularly if you are only 3 weeks away, and by your own words, freaking out a bit. How long is the rest of the race? Is this an Olympic distance race?

I'd have to agree. Also, what are the likely OWS conditions? That can make a huge difference. I was swimming quite a lot this past spring, upwards of 10-12km a week. Did a HIM and it was cold, rainy, water temp was 59 degrees, air about 55. I barely survived the swim. Massive difference between an indoor 25m pool where the water and air are 78 degrees and outdoors.

Being safe is being smart. Always another race to do.

2013-11-12 8:56 AM

If it's in a pool: go for it. Stop and stand/hold on to the wall as much as you need to, without getting in the way of everyone else

If it's open water: forget about it. (I'm usually more optimistic, sorry) Go for an open water swim and see how it feels.

2013-11-12 11:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TobiasAK89

Originally posted by lifejusticeI think you are shoveling out a truck-load of disrespect to the athletes that do these distances and do them well. There is no room in this sport for that kind of disrespect

While I totally agree with the first and last part of your post, I definitely don't agree with this.

Doing tris isn't about paying respect to your competitors, it's about setting a goal and getting there.

There is a safety-line, which you should not cross, but other then that, give it everything you got.

I don't think that respect is something that has to be an overt spoken thing.

Many people (Check Triathlon training video blogs) make goals not because they want to try something new...but because they see somebody else do it and they immediately think they can do it better. Even though they have no baseline for their own performance and "the other person" has trained diligently, they still think they can do the same or better than the other person with little to no training. Although it is POSSIBLE, it really isn't plausible. That is the disrespect that I talk about.

There is also respect for the distance. I have seen a lot of non-runners sign up for HM for their first run! They feel that it is a "Stepping stone up to a full marathon". They think it is like a 5k. They get destroyed and they never run again. They don't respect the distance.

I really don't feel that the original poster will be able to develop the tools he needs to complete this race...BUUUUUUT I am more than happy to check this thread every week to see what the update is on the training.

that is the disrespect that I was talking about. Not the mean over-the-top spoken kind.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-11-12 11:14 AM
2013-11-12 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
If you've never gone anywhere near the distance you are considering and by your own admission are "freaking out" about it, then I would agree with those who are saying it's best to call if off and go get more swim training in before trying this. That water is deep and depending on the course, you may be a long way from the shore. There are currents, chop, and temps to consider as well.

If you are intent on trying then first of all go to the pool, get in and swim 1600 meters non-stop. That is 32 laps (64 lengths) in a standard 25m pool. Don't stop and rest. Don't even grab the wall when you make your turns, just turn in the water and swim back. If you can do that comfortable without any issues then you have at least cleared the first hurdle of handling the distance even though as stated open water is a whole new ballgame. If you can't do that in a pool then drop out of the race and work on it. In 3 to 6 months you should be ready, not 3 weeks.
2013-12-04 3:01 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Extreme Veteran
Any update on this?
2013-12-04 4:00 PM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I say convert race to a relay and find a swimmer. Agree that if it's a pool swim go for it. People have drowned or have been seriously injured having tried something like that. Maybe not exposing other athletes to such an event is a means of showing respect. Others might enjoy the day better having not heard of someone drowning/almost drowning etc.....

It's a tough call as many of us like to challenge ourselves but erring on the side of safety and/or "respect" is safer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gotta swim a mile in 3 weeks. HELP! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

8 Weeks To Swim 1 Mile

Started by RushTogether
Views: 20505 Posts: 11

2012-07-13 3:32 PM piok_opze

Swimming 1 mile 2x a week enough?

Started by gtu160
Views: 4826 Posts: 12

2011-08-10 8:31 AM gtu160

I am getting nervous - .5 mile OW swim in 7 weeks

Started by mgmoore7
Views: 3306 Posts: 12

2008-02-19 5:29 PM cadreamer

swim 2.4 miles or not to swim 2.4 miles Pages: 1 2

Started by chirunner134
Views: 2593 Posts: 38

2006-12-11 8:05 AM chirunner134

Gotta 100, Gotta 100, Do we hear 125?

Started by tolefanjh
Views: 1226 Posts: 8

2006-01-31 10:48 AM oneword
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips
date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day

date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.