General Discussion Triathlon Talk » open water swim floats Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-11 9:35 PM

User image

Subject: open water swim floats
I'm looking at getting a swim float to make myself visible during open water swims. I've found ifloat and Safeswimmer floats. There's a large difference in price and I'm not sure why. They seem like the same thing. Does anyone have any experience with either of them?
Also, I see there's a medium and large with the Safeswimmer floats. Any recommendations on which size is best?

2013-11-12 6:46 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: open water swim floats
We have been using the ISHOF Safeswimmer for three seasons and they work great to increase visibility and keep valuables with you that you don't want to leave on the beach or at lakeside. We use the large one, but the only thing I ever put in it is my car keys and garmin (you can get a rock-solid gps track of your OWS that way). While swimming it sits in and gets sucked along by your draft and you don't even know it is there. The first few times I swam with it I actually stopped a few times because I thought I had lost it - it is surprising how unaware of it you are while towing it behind you.

The iSwim is a good bit more expensive. While I haven't seen one in real life, from the images and video online the differences from the ISHOF device are

a) it is yellow instead of orange (you decide which is more visible?)

b) the iSwim looks even larger than the largest ISHOF bag (how much will you want to put in it?)

c) the iSwim bag looks to be much more rugged and solidly constructed, but again our ISHOF bags have lasted 3 seasons of weekly OWS without any damage.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » open water swim floats Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

homemade open water swim float...?

Started by joyct32
Views: 6767 Posts: 10

2013-06-23 7:06 AM mikealti62

Cold Water Open water Swim Caps

Started by peggyswims
Views: 1285 Posts: 3

2012-01-08 10:17 PM smurfcore

"Swim Across America" open water swims?

Started by nehptune
Views: 892 Posts: 1

2010-07-08 2:59 PM nehptune

Open water swimming in cold waters...

Started by lkc01234
Views: 2121 Posts: 9

2010-05-03 11:07 PM kingofbanff

Water Temperature - Open water swim

Started by tmueller
Views: 15473 Posts: 13

2008-02-17 10:12 AM tmueller
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.