General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tracking Ironman athletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-12 8:15 AM

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Tracking Ironman athletes
According to the spectator guide, spectators can log onto ironman.com on race day and click on the race coverage box to track an athlete's progress. That seems very vague. I have friends who want to track me and I would like to give them better instructions than that. Has anyone tracked athletes only by the Ironman website?

2013-11-12 8:26 AM
in reply to: wanderwoman11

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Tracking Ironman athletes

Yeah, it really sucks.  The updates are slow sometimes do not update for hours. If you want better look at a Garmin GTU 10 or Myathletelive.com

2013-11-12 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

I used MyAthleteLive at Coeur d'Alene this year and it worked great.  My friends and family at the race knew exactly where I was, they could go do stuff and then come back to see me when I came through town.  I also had folks all around the country following me on their cell phones and computers.

2013-11-12 4:00 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yes to what they said, also adding that Ironman only tracks at a handful of check points in the race - it is NOT real time or "live" tracking. It's typically the swim exit, 2 or 3 points on the bike and 2 or 3 points on the run, and finish. It RARELY works. Do not rely on it.

2013-11-12 5:14 PM

User image

Champion
MA

WTC has added more timing mats to most IM races especially on the run. Most races there are a few glitches splits aren't uploaded for awhile and make those tracking nervous for their athlete racing.

The other company that has current location of the athlete always. It is a small price to pay to help folks see your progress.

There is an app for Apple that you can track multiple athletes more easier but it does depend on WTC's ironman live updates.

2013-11-12 5:33 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Champion
MA

Here is another thread about this topic.

2014-05-15 12:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Colorado
Well, we are IMtrackr and we are the new kid in town when it comes to mobile app for Ironman athlete tracking on race day. What's unique about us (in comparison to Ironman website or other Ironman athlete tracking apps out there) is we deliver push notification alerts on race day. We are still dependent on athlete data feed from Ironman website but instead of you refreshing your browser or app every 5 minutes, you just wait for updates to come to your phone.

You can download the app from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imtrackr/id836182662?ls=1&mt=8

Good luck with training!

You can check out our website, like us on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter.

Edited by imtrackr 2014-05-15 12:22 PM
2014-05-16 9:19 AM
in reply to: imtrackr

User image

Utah
^^^^^^ What he said.

My family used IMtrackr to follow me for IM 70.3 StG and it worked well. They liked the push notifications.
2014-05-16 4:23 PM

User image

Regular
It really is that easy. Once they find the athlete tracker site, it's easiest if they have your bib number. Last name works as well, but they might get multiple results back and it just adds an extra step.

2014-05-17 8:39 AM
in reply to: imtrackr

User image

Champion
MA

How about for nonApple products app?

2014-05-19 6:08 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

, Colorado
We are still working on an Android version of our app. We do not have a date for release as of yet.

Do like us on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter to stay updated with IMtrackr.

Thanks.

2014-05-21 1:51 AM
in reply to: jhouse4

New user
Bonney Lake
My wife and family have tried the IM site to track me and she does not like it. She does like the My Athlete Live. I have used that for the last three years and it is nice. The unit is a little big so you do have to plan a spot in your shorts, shirt or belt for it, but i have never noticed it bothering me. My wife likes it because she can see where I am in close to real time. it also can give her an ETA as to when I will be to where she is. Helps her plan how to plan her day around town. We have used it in a number of races with no real issues. good luck.
2014-10-09 7:41 AM

I just released an Android application for tracking athletes and reading the Live coverage.
The app is totally free for the moment without advertisement. If there is enough interest I will release the ios version soon also.
The app is called IRONMAN Follower.

Check out www.ironmanfollower.com

You can send feedback to me from inside the app, if you like it I really appreciate a nice review also
2014-10-09 12:46 PM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Originally posted by edawno

My wife and family have tried the IM site to track me and she does not like it. She does like the My Athlete Live. I have used that for the last three years and it is nice. The unit is a little big so you do have to plan a spot in your shorts, shirt or belt for it, but i have never noticed it bothering me. My wife likes it because she can see where I am in close to real time. it also can give her an ETA as to when I will be to where she is. Helps her plan how to plan her day around town. We have used it in a number of races with no real issues. good luck.

a potentially issue with this is if you are in an area that doesn't have good cell coverage - many people wore it for IM Chattanooga and there were lots of issues on the bike ride because not a lot of coverage
2014-10-18 8:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

I used MyAthleteLive at Coeur d'Alene this year and it worked great.  My friends and family at the race knew exactly where I was, they could go do stuff and then come back to see me when I came through town.  I also had folks all around the country following me on their cell phones and computers.

This wasn't one of those you had to pay for ahead of time was it and have it sent to your hotel/condo? I am trying to figure out what is best, too.
2014-10-18 8:29 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Originally posted by midwesttrimom

Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

This wasn't one of those you had to pay for ahead of time was it and have it sent to your hotel/condo? I am trying to figure out what is best, too.

Just realized it is, but this is the one my friend used and it was AMAZING. Best tracking I have ever seen. Wonder if it's too late to have my husband use that to track me at IMFL in 2 weeks?? How long does it take to get everything. Guess I better do that VERY SOON!

2014-11-06 4:15 PM
in reply to: ironmanfollower

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by ironmanfollower

I just released an Android application for tracking athletes and reading the Live coverage.
The app is totally free for the moment without advertisement. If there is enough interest I will release the ios version soon also.
The app is called IRONMAN Follower.

Check out www.ironmanfollower.com

You can send feedback to me from inside the app, if you like it I really appreciate a nice review also

I can't find this app from the link on the website or on GPlay. Any help?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tracking Ironman athletes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Using cell phone GPS for IM athlete tracking

Started by brown_dog_us
Views: 1821 Posts: 7

2009-09-21 11:20 AM toddg

Athlete Tracking

Started by irondreams
Views: 1235 Posts: 4

2008-10-05 3:45 PM katherinel

IMKY Athlete Tracking

Started by Sparty
Views: 1968 Posts: 21

2008-08-17 9:20 PM razorxp

IMCDA Athlete Tracking Question

Started by grandhavenbill
Views: 1211 Posts: 3

2008-06-11 8:48 PM sausage

IMLou athlete tracking

Started by HankJKy
Views: 909 Posts: 2

2007-08-21 2:54 PM magik611
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : April 12, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 3
Provided one was proficient in setting up the different functions of the Lap Track, I think that a short-course triathlete would benefit most from this, since it only records splits up to 50 laps.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.
date : April 21, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to use our detailed online race log to track your season and progress.

date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.