General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lingering Achilles soreness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-15 9:45 AM

User image

Subject: Lingering Achilles soreness
Little history, never a runner, swimmer or biker, that about covers it!

In August I decided that the next season (2014) I wanted to complete two tris (sprint distance) so starts the training. Started running slowly about a mile or so with about a 10:30 pace. Feeling really good through August and got up to 3 miles at about a 9:30 pace into the first few days of Oct. Running 3 - 4 days a week, then on the last hill before home on a 3.3 mile run (same comfortable pace) I feel a tightness in the Achilles but finish the last .3 . The "soreness" stuck around but nothing terrible. Tried to run after 2 days rest and made it to the end of the driveway and about feel over! No pop but seriously tender and now I notice a little swollen. After advice from here and good friends I take the next 4 weeks off. Start slowly again 1 mile 10 min pace and feels fine. Get back up to the 3.3 at 9:30 pace and still feels good. I am noticing now that in the mornings and after being in the car for awhile its really stiff and a little sore. As soon as I stretch / start to move around it goes away. Never any pain running or swimming. So my question, do I take more time off or is it a case of "it is what it is"?

Sorry so long... Thoughts BT?

2013-11-18 12:35 PM
in reply to: trifish2

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Lingering Achilles soreness

In 2010 I developed pain and swelling in my left Achilles.  Tried resting it for several weeks, but it didn't improve, so went to my doctor who referred me to an orthopedic surgeon.  I was diagnosed with degenerative Achilles tendinosis with some mircro tearing. I ended up in a walking boot for several months, followed by some PT. 

I still get some occasional soreness, but it's been pretty good since then.

I think my problem was partially triggered by some ill-fitting shoes, so I'm very careful about that now.  I also worked at modifying my running form by shortening my stride and increasing my cadence.

In the mornings I walk for about a 1/4 mile to loosen up before starting to run and then walk for a 1/2 mile afterwards to cool down.

Achilles are slow to heal due to the lack of blood flow to the tendon.  I've been told that if doesn't feel better after about six weeks, then you should see a doctor.

Good luck.

Mark

2013-11-24 10:42 PM
in reply to: trifish2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Lingering Achilles soreness
I have had two bouts of Achilles tendonitis in the past, one on each side. First off, this is a slow recovery issue. Trying to rush it is a sure fire way to the operating table.

Make sure to warm up properly. Talk to a good PT for Achilles specific stretches. At the first sign of pain back off. Trying to tough it out can be disastrous. Finally use a foam roller along the entire tendon. It will help with blood flow and keep things loose.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lingering Achilles soreness Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ITband lingering but not when running...

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 3532 Posts: 12

2011-03-17 11:27 AM jldicarlo

Achilles soreness

Started by cornick
Views: 2947 Posts: 14

2011-01-19 6:37 PM DougRob

Lower back soreness during bike

Started by nel34
Views: 1380 Posts: 8

2005-07-18 1:48 PM David14

strange soreness in calf

Started by Bonyx26
Views: 929 Posts: 3

2005-04-09 9:28 PM Rowdy

lingering sciatica

Started by stjohn2912
Views: 1155 Posts: 4

2004-11-11 5:38 PM gr8brindle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How do you know the difference between muscle soreness and an injury? Learn several techniques to alleviate muscle soreness after a hard workout.

date : January 17, 2012
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.
date : December 22, 2011
Tips on the treatment of chronic muscle soreness

date : May 9, 2011
comments : 2
Achilles Tendonitis is one of the most common running injuries due to overtraining. In this video, a sports medicine doctor diagnoses and provides a treatment plan.
date : February 22, 2010
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.

date : February 16, 2009
comments : 2
What you should know about Achilles tendinopathy to prevent its occurrence and to stop it in its tracks before it stops you.
date : November 4, 2007
I've been told I have laxity in my tendons which sets me up to be more prone to overuse injuries. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate my chronic achilles pain?

date : November 20, 2006
comments : 1
The hope of the recovery icebath is that it reduces the amount of inflammation caused by the workout and helps to flush the legs of lactic acid.