General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power gain time frame? Tips? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-15 10:22 AM

Regular
Subject: Power gain time frame? Tips?
So back about a year ago (Oct 2012) I had a FTP of 247, using TrainerRoads 20 minute test. Since then though, school, kids, health issues, have all impacted my training. Recently I resumed indoor training (it's cold here!) and did some Sufferfest vids. I noticed that my HR to power levels are way, way down. I will do an FTP test next week, but I bet it will be near 200, 210 at best.

I want to get back to 247, or even past it by Spring 2014. But I am not sure what I need to do or if this is even a realistic goal. Prior to hitting 247, I had been training pretty hard for triathlons. I was riding about 75 to 100 miles per week, running 25 to 35 miles, and swimming about 2 miles.

I plan on resuming running and swimming on off biking days. I think both really helped to lower my max HR numbers. Both though, would be really slow, almost recovery type runs and swims. I don't have enough time to hit my prior volume when doing triathlon training.

My cycling days, since I will be inside, will mostly involve a couple 1 to 2 hour Sufferfest vids or some long endurance free rides while watching a movie. Likely 3 rides per week. My running and swimming can be altered. I don't have any time or distances set. Since I want to focus on cycling, then running and swimming can be altered to whatever best suits my cycling goals.

Oh, up to this point, I still had been getting in cycling each week, maybe 30 to 50 miles. So I have a base fitness. I did 40 miles the other day and didn't bonk out. But it wasn't nearly as fast as 2012's 40 milers, that's for sure.

So my questions are: 1. Can I hit 247 FTP by Spring 2014 (or sooner)? 2. Should I bother running and swimming, or just totally sell out on cycle training? 3. What types of cycling plans/tips/training sessions/etc would you all advise? 4. What type of volume should I commit to percentage wise for each sport per week? Like 75% time cycling, 15% running, 10% swimming (I just made these up, just to give an idea).

Thanks!

2013-11-19 2:51 PM
in reply to: kilgoretrout

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Power gain time frame? Tips?
I want to preface this with TR power is only a very rough guess, and the numbers given cannot be reliably compared to power using a true power meter. In addition, unless your set-up is very consistent across rides, the numbers can vary a lot.

I see no reason why you can't get back to the power you were at previously. You should be able to get most of the way there in a few months. Some of this will depend on how close you were to your 'peak' power versus how much of it was your fitness getting better. The way you describe it, it sounds like your fitness and strength were getting better over time. Although it's been over a year, you have several months until spring. With some dedication and consistency, you should be able to get back to where you were. Since you've still been riding, it should make it easier.

To answer your questions-
Yes, you should be able to get your power back and I'm betting 95% of it by spring.
You can continue to run and swim as time permits, but avoid intensity (esp. with the run). If you have to skip something, skip the run or swim.
If you're using TR, you should have access to many plans. Personally, I would do 2-3 days of intense FTP/VO2max work per week. Throw in another 2-3 days of mixed Z1-2 riding during the week.
No idea on percentages, a lot of it depends on intensity and other time commitments. Plan out your rides first, then decide what you want to dedicate to the swim and run.

Keep us updated on your progress!
2013-12-11 3:39 PM
in reply to: kilgoretrout

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Power gain time frame? Tips?
Curious how you're progressing! 247 is definitely doable if you stick with a plan.

If you haven't started the plan yet, MC had a sound outline.

If you can break it up into 3, 6-week builds, you can focus on different things over that time.

For example

Weeks 1-6: General Foundation - Hitting all zones with 1 workout a week of VO2, FTP, Lactacte Clearing and a couple Z2-3. Swimming is great recovery.
Weeks 7-12: Raise the ceiling - Substitute one workout for one VO2 intervals. Change which type of workout you sub each week. This helps the high end.
Weeks 13-18: Dial in FTP - Substitute one workout for FTP - chainging which workout you sub for FTP.

Changing the focus helps keep the training from getting completely repetitive.

Hope everything is going well!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power gain time frame? Tips? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Question on broken presta valve tip

Started by joestop74
Views: 8556 Posts: 12

2013-05-02 7:28 AM Jtiger

Need advice - Felt F1 frame

Started by Synon
Views: 1584 Posts: 5

2013-02-13 12:54 PM PeterAK

Frame Question

Started by jhouse4
Views: 907 Posts: 4

2012-11-25 7:26 AM audiojan

TT Tips

Started by nminesinger
Views: 1652 Posts: 7

2010-08-06 9:10 PM tjtryon

SRM / Google / HTC - Columbia Power

Started by rkreuser
Views: 1585 Posts: 10

2010-07-07 3:18 PM Skippy74
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.