General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping Cool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-16 2:22 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Keeping Cool
My next IM is just three weeks away and typically is quite hot this time of year. It was 34-35C when I hit the run last year and I struggled with the heat thereafter. Just wondering what interesting ways you have tried to keep cool under these conditions. I am considering using a plastic ziplock bag with a few tiny holes that I will fill with ice and place under my hat at the aid stations, the cool water will then trickle through as the ice melts. Is it more important to keep the head or body cool? Any thoughts please.

2013-11-16 7:21 AM
in reply to: starman

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Keeping Cool
Ouch! I don't do IM but many of my races and a lot of my training have been in temps in that zone. Ice is great. I don't bother with the plastic bag. I just stick some under my hat or (I guess this isn't doable for guys, though) in the bra part of my tri top. I've heard the pros even put it down their shorts. Not sure about the logistics of that LOL. Plus pour lots of water over myself. Sponges are also a godsend if they are passing them out. There are key areas on the body like neck, wrists, armpits, chest where putting ice or cold water will bring down your core temps more quickly than the head. If all else fails, stop and walk at some of the aid stations while playing with the ice, sponges, water, and drinks. I'll admit to once actually sticking my head directly into a bucket of ice water (it had held sponges but they were out) in an adventure race. Simply slowing to a walk will allow your core temperature to drop a bit more quickly and help counteract nausea. (I don't know about others, but that's pretty much a constant for my tropical races!) If there's any way to get/keep drinks cool, like keeping a frozen drink in special needs (okay, I have no clue about IM logistics), that would also be useful.
2013-11-16 7:49 AM
in reply to: starman

I've only raced one IM but it was in 90-92F temps. I usually wear a visor while running but wore a hat solely to put ice in it. No need for the baggy. Actually gave me a slight headache the first time I put ice in the hat but it quickly went away. At those temps the ice will melt quickly. I also shoved ice down the front and back of my tri top. At the end of each aid station I would grab a cup of ice and empty it into my hands. I would hold the ice cubes in my hands until they melted. As previous poster mentioned, use sponges if available. They also dry quickly. I kept them in my top until I reached the next aid station to make sure more sponges were available (seemed they had sponges at 2 out of every 3 stations or so). If not available, I just poured ice water and reused the sponges I had.

Good luck. Definitely tough race conditions. Be smart and listen to your body. I saw lots of carnage on the course that day but I made it through unscathed.
2013-11-18 9:17 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Ouch! I don't do IM but many of my races and a lot of my training have been in temps in that zone. Ice is great. I don't bother with the plastic bag. I just stick some under my hat or (I guess this isn't doable for guys, though) in the bra part of my tri top. I've heard the pros even put it down their shorts. Not sure about the logistics of that LOL. Plus pour lots of water over myself. Sponges are also a godsend if they are passing them out. There are key areas on the body like neck, wrists, armpits, chest where putting ice or cold water will bring down your core temps more quickly than the head. If all else fails, stop and walk at some of the aid stations while playing with the ice, sponges, water, and drinks. I'll admit to once actually sticking my head directly into a bucket of ice water (it had held sponges but they were out) in an adventure race. Simply slowing to a walk will allow your core temperature to drop a bit more quickly and help counteract nausea. (I don't know about others, but that's pretty much a constant for my tropical races!) If there's any way to get/keep drinks cool, like keeping a frozen drink in special needs (okay, I have no clue about IM logistics), that would also be useful.

Ice down the shorts is closest to your core where the temps need to stay the coolest. Dumping ice on your head in the grand scheme of it all doesn't do too much. Ice in shorts, sponges in top, keep skin cool to avoid more blood going to that area then your muscles.
2013-11-24 11:53 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Wear a hat, douse yourself with water at every aid station on the run (head, hat, or down the front of the tri top.) Ice down the front if necessary, sponges can help if they have them. Ice in your hat can cause a wicked frostyfreeze headache that has resulted in people vomiting and feeling very unwll. I wouldn't go there. My usual IM is 95F, I did a HIM in 105F. Make sure you get some training in the heat of the day 2-3 weeks before the race to remain acclimated.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping Cool Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to keep perpetum or infint cold?

Started by ballyard7
Views: 1367 Posts: 11

2009-07-20 9:08 AM Steve-

Keeping warm in cold IM swim

Started by c_cic
Views: 1307 Posts: 11

2009-05-29 7:58 AM titurtle

Can't Keep Up with the Training

Started by nhangen
Views: 2075 Posts: 17

2008-10-08 12:37 PM KSH

Something to keep your mind off of IMWI for a few minutes

Started by atc1135
Views: 722 Posts: 2

2007-08-27 11:24 PM jcjsc00

Keeping track of run laps during IM

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 1481 Posts: 17

2007-04-03 12:52 PM johnmck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 13, 2011
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Learn the principles on how to lose weight and keep it off. These 10 commandments will help keep you at a healthy weight for life.

date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.
date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?
date : September 4, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 16 week sprint triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.