General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of us who missed the NBC Ironman Kona coverage today... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-11-21 8:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: RE: For those of us who missed the NBC Ironman Kona coverage today...

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by FranzZemen
Originally posted by trijamie
Originally posted by ChrisM

To me, a hero is a dude that goes into a burning building and saves a child.  Not someone that places well in an ironman to grab a spot or rolldown.  But to each his own

Well you make a very good point, Chris. I like the post someone made earlier about how sad it is that people think an Ironman is the pinnacle experience of their lives. I think things like the NBC broadcast kinda trick them into thinking that. I guess what I meant by hero in this context was the more interesting stories that they could have covered, rather than a chef that is famous because he acts like an a$$hole on tv
You might want to do some research of Ramsey, besides the fact that he has other shows where he's far from the ahole you call him and is famous in some circles for things most likely could never achieve. Sports needs celebrities, be they because they were good or because they were famous. The general public could care less about the average guy doing Ironman. They want to live vicariously through the personalities they know.

No, I think sports need great athletes....not celebrities who aren't athletes.  I'd be happy to watch him smoke some ribs.....I wouldn't walk across the street to see him schlep home an IM run.

How is a ~14 hour IM finisher not an athlete?  Are the pros the only athletes? 

2013-11-21 8:22 AM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by cathyd

To me, a hero is a dude that goes into a burning building and saves a child.  Not someone that places well in an ironman to grab a spot or rolldown.  But to each his own

Well you make a very good point, Chris. I like the post someone made earlier about how sad it is that people think an Ironman is the pinnacle experience of their lives. I think things like the NBC broadcast kinda trick them into thinking that. I guess what I meant by hero in this context was the more interesting stories that they could have covered, rather than a chef that is famous because he acts like an a$$hole on tv
You might want to do some research of Ramsey, besides the fact that he has other shows where he's far from the ahole you call him and is famous in some circles for things most likely could never achieve. Sports needs celebrities, be they because they were good or because they were famous. The general public could care less about the average guy doing Ironman. They want to live vicariously through the personalities they know.

No, I think sports need great athletes....not celebrities who aren't athletes.  I'd be happy to watch him smoke some ribs.....I wouldn't walk across the street to see him schlep home an IM run.

A 14 hour IM finisher is hardly an exceptional athlete.

2013-11-21 8:36 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by dmiller5

I didn't say he was 'exceptional'. I said he is an athlete, which I consider any one who trains to do an IM to be.  You don't have to be elite or pro to be considered an athlete. 

2013-11-21 9:33 AM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I didn't say he was 'exceptional'. I said he is an athlete, which I consider any one who trains to do an IM to be.  You don't have to be elite or pro to be considered an athlete. 

and the post you were responding to said we need great athletes.

We don't watch Larry the Cable guy play basketball or Kim Kardashian play football.

The broadcast should feature elite athletes playing their own sport, just like every other sport. The only reason it doesn't is because WTC is wh**ing out our sport to fill their pockets. Lets stop the carnival act.
At the end of the da

2013-11-21 9:57 AM

We don't watch Larry the Cable guy play basketball or Kim Kardashian play football.

The broadcast should feature elite athletes playing their own sport, just like every other sport. The only reason it doesn't is because WTC is wh**ing out our sport to fill their pockets. Lets stop the carnival act.
At the end of the da

Just because the broadcast isn't designed to your personal preferences doesn't mean it's a mistake for them to do it that way. Like it or not, the fluff gets better ratings than focusing on the pros. What works in other sports doesn't work for triathlon. Let's face it, it's not the most TV friendly sport to begin with.
2013-11-21 10:05 AM
in reply to: RollTideTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by RollTideTri

At the end of the da

Just because the broadcast isn't designed to your personal preferences doesn't mean it's a mistake for them to do it that way. Like it or not, the fluff gets better ratings than focusing on the pros. What works in other sports doesn't work for triathlon. Let's face it, it's not the most TV friendly sport to begin with.

It doesn't work for triathlon but it works for marathons? huh? Just because in the short term it puts more money in WTC and NBC's pocket, doesn't mean it is good for the SPORT

2013-11-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: erinrockrun

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

in case folks had not noticed, zero new points have been introduced in the last several posts. People are just arguing past each other with repetitive restatements of your point of view.  Carry on if you must, but really this is now fodder for the Decline of BT thread.

2013-11-21 10:26 AM
in reply to: erinrockrun

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by erinrockrun How was it and does anyone know if they will show it again or if it's available online anywhere? I always enjoy their broadcasts. Thanks.

Sorry, but I'm going to hijack this, too, to ask the following - So, how and why did this thread burst into a debate or argument amongst BT members instead of answering the O.P.'s original questions??

2013-11-21 10:33 AM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Originally posted by erinrockrun How was it and does anyone know if they will show it again or if it's available online anywhere? I always enjoy their broadcasts. Thanks.

Sorry, but I'm going to hijack this, too, to ask the following - So, how and why did this thread burst into a debate or argument amongst BT members instead of answering the O.P.'s original questions??

because it is on an internet forum, and on internet forums people discuss things and express their opinions. If you don't like that, you shouldn't be on an internet forum. Sometimes topics get derailed and might not interest you, sometimes tangents turn into good information that people can learn from. If every time people get off on a tangent you scream "THIS IS THE DECLINE OF BT" then all we will have is a bunch of short threads with cookie cutter answers and no discussion.

To allow good positive discourse, sometimes there must be negative discourse as well. Trying to turn everything into ponies and rainbows is just going to dilute the quality of information on the site, and chase away the people who are willing to express dissenting opinions.

2013-11-21 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

The OP asked "How was it"? That started the debate over the broadcast format that NBC uses. Some like it, some don't and those views have been expressed.
2013-11-21 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

because it is on an internet forum, and on internet forums people discuss things and express their opinions. If you don't like that, you shouldn't be on an internet forum. Sometimes topics get derailed and might not interest you, sometimes tangents turn into good information that people can learn from. If every time people get off on a tangent you scream "THIS IS THE DECLINE OF BT" then all we will have is a bunch of short threads with cookie cutter answers and no discussion.

To allow good positive discourse, sometimes there must be negative discourse as well. Trying to turn everything into ponies and rainbows is just going to dilute the quality of information on the site, and chase away the people who are willing to express dissenting opinions.

With all due respect, David (dmiller5) you've missed my point.  I'm not advocating for pony and rainbow threads, or complaining about the negativity.

What I'm saying is, bluntly, that you've made your point quite clear already, as have several others, and now it looks like you're just arguing to argue.  Is your plan to ridicule people like me who point that out, as you're doing above?  Is your plan to repeat your point as a reply to any post that disagrees with you? 

2013-11-21 1:26 PM

User image

If every time people get off on a tangent you scream "THIS IS THE DECLINE OF BT"

Hypoerbole much??   LOL

2013-11-21 1:27 PM

Originally posted by RollTideTri

At the end of the da

It doesn't work for triathlon but it works for marathons? huh? Just because in the short term it puts more money in WTC and NBC's pocket, doesn't mean it is good for the SPORT

As I said earlier, NBC isn't in the business of growing triathlon as a sport. WTC has an interest in the sport obviously, but clearly they've decided that getting the most possible eyeballs on the broadcast will help the sport more than a lower rated broadcast that focuses on the pros that nobody has ever heard of.

WTC isn't marketing to you. You're already sold on triathlon as a sport. It's not a sport where you have tons of armchair fans like football. Anyone who cares enough to know the name of one pro triathlete is already sold.
2013-11-21 1:34 PM
in reply to: TriBoilermaker

User image

Oakville

My $0.02... I enjoyed it.  Sure there was the fluff pieces on Hines Ward and the angry chef, but don't most sportscasts have this? - i.e. Superbowl half-time show, the "C'mon Man" segment on Monday night football.

Anyway, as it wasn't a live event, IMHO its not fair to compare it to a typical sportscast. 

Its hard to keep the audience in suspense when they know the outcome.

2013-11-22 2:20 PM
in reply to: 0

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

because it is on an internet forum, and on internet forums people discuss things and express their opinions. If you don't like that, you shouldn't be on an internet forum. ..

Sorry, O.P.

So, dmiller5, is this an Internet law and you're an Internet cop?

" If every time people get off on a tangent you scream "THIS IS THE DECLINE OF BT"" <---  I did *he asks perplexingly*???

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2013-11-22 2:24 PM
2013-11-23 12:03 PM

User image

In case anyone is actually reading this because of the title, the answer is - youtube, but a crappy 360p upload.

I even searched through sites that I wouldn't mention on here and nothing.

Just trying to save someone else from trying to sift through 4 pages of stupid arguments "because this is the internet"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those of us who missed the NBC Ironman Kona coverage today... Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

NBC Kona Coverage on Youtube

Started by xatefrogg
Views: 1058 Posts: 1

2012-10-31 9:24 AM xatefrogg

Reduced Kona 2011 Coverage on NBC Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 12522 Posts: 104

2011-12-12 2:49 PM LostSheep

2011 Ironman Kona Television Coverage Pages: 1 2

Started by m2tx
Views: 13900 Posts: 31

2011-10-06 5:31 AM audiojan

Ironman Kona on NBC?

Started by mrbigheado
Views: 2014 Posts: 8

2009-10-01 7:10 PM titeloops

Missed NBC coverage of Hawaii

Started by popit
Views: 1543 Posts: 11

2006-12-14 7:25 PM ChineseDemocracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : September 26, 2009
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : October 17, 2004
author : BrianPBN
Well the day is finally here. I don't believe a single workout has gone by in these past 9 years where the idea of being at the start line of the Ironman Hawaii didn't creep into my head.
date : October 10, 2004
So far the taper is feeling good and I'm getting that itchy feeling to race. I know this will grow even stronger when I get to the island and see my friends and PBN Team members.  

date : October 3, 2004
Definitely glad this weekend is out of the way as 145 miles of cycling and 27 miles of running in two days is a fair amount.