General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some washington 70.3 motivation help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-16 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Need some washington 70.3 motivation help
This last summer, I did two races: Ocean Shores half Iron and Leadman 125 in Bend, Oregon.

I am sitting here in November and somewhat burned out. I have been doing some workouts, but nothing consistent. I want to get back into a routine, however I don't know what race to do this summer to get into a training plan.

So I need some 70.3 Washington help. I did Ocean Shores. I don't have any interest in Lake Stevens. (I am not "Anti WTC", but I just don't like the course, and I don't want my family to be completely baracaded into Lake Stevens for 6 hours. Looking at Black Diamond, it looks like that may be the same "Lock in" situation.

Has anybody done Chelanman or Troika or any other races that are easy to have family at and are "vacation-able"? We loved Ocean Shores because the family has full access to all the tourist stuff, and just about full access to the course.

Are there any other races like that?

Thanks

2013-11-17 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4899874

User image

Subject: RE: Need some washington 70.3 motivation help
Chelanman is a great race. People I train with did the half (i did the olympic) and it's a tough but good course. Chelan has things for people to do, but if you try to leave town expect big backups during the race as highway 97 is essentially 1 lane for the race.
2013-11-19 1:54 PM
in reply to: moverby20

User image

, Washington
I'm just now getting back into Tri's and already signed up for Chelanman. Also planning on doing Black Diamond, which you mentioned.
I figured CM would include the family, while BD would be more solo.

Others I researched were; Boise 70.3, Victoria Tri, and Vancouver HIM. Sorry I don't have 1st person experience with any of these as we recently moved up Issaquah area.

For motivation I'm thinking of joining one of the local tri clubs, but haven't figured out which one. Looking at TN Multi, Pauole Sport, and V02 Multi.
In the meantime I setup the trainer and downloading some Sufferfest videos.
2013-11-19 5:40 PM
in reply to: RandyP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome!

I live in Issaquah and I am on the VO2 Team.

2013-11-20 11:07 AM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
ChelanMan--I've done the Olympic race three times...haven't done the HIM. I can tell you it is one of the best swims you'll ever get. Most of the time the lake is flat in the mornings and it's just beautiful. The water is so clean it's just spectacular. I love this race because of that. Chelan is a great place to vacation for a few days as well. Just be sure to get reservations now because hotel space fills up fast. If you want to save money, you can stay in Wenatchee a lot cheaper and then drive the 40 miles on race morning...which is what I do since I live in Wenatchee.

They get a large field and this tends to be what I call an "entry point" race...lots of people signing up with limited experience in either triathlon and/or the specific distance. I think the Oly field alone was over 400. The good news is the HIM starts first and has the smallest field, so if you do that race you'll be out in front of the mass of bodies and you really won't have to deal with them much. It's tougher in the Olympic as there are a lot of people to pass if you are older and in one of the later starting waves.

The bike course is fun. It's up and down on the Olympic and fairly challenging. The HIM course looks VERY challenging. You'll want to get in a lot of hill training as there are some tough hills with a fair amount of elevation gain in a short distance.

The run is on the highway along the water. It's nice scenery along the lake, but it's still a highway and for me is the most boring part of the race.

Be prepared for heat. Temps can easily be upper 80's by the time you're out on the run course. But it's a dry heat....

Volunteer support is great and it is a solid, well run race.

I think you'll enjoy this race if you do it.
2013-11-20 11:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Sorry. Double post so I deleted this one.

Edited by lutzman 2013-11-20 11:20 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some washington 70.3 motivation help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2/26 half marathon in eastern washington

Started by JMINPNW
Views: 1352 Posts: 2

2012-02-21 11:16 AM fgholloway

Washington Tri's

Started by JoshR
Views: 1828 Posts: 10

2010-01-09 2:12 PM Grizzly1969

Son going to RTC next fall help needed!!!!

Started by BAMBAM66
Views: 1124 Posts: 1

2009-10-12 9:08 PM BAMBAM66

OWS sites in Western Washington

Started by Agur
Views: 2045 Posts: 11

2009-06-02 11:10 PM run45

Lake Washington Boulevard Training

Started by luno
Views: 994 Posts: 4

2007-08-14 6:40 PM ScotinSeattle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.