General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thinking about a 50k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-17 6:00 AM

User image

Subject: thinking about a 50k
I want to challenge myself next summer and also work on my running this winter

• Would it be crazy to set a goal to run a 50k on July 4th 2014. My thought is to just plan out a course and run it by myself. I would stay close enough to home were I could get support when needed by stopping at aid stations I have enough family / friends / businesses that would let me set this up.

• Looked into doing an official on but none fit into my seclude Also I did not what to spend a lot of money to travel

Could I say that I have done an Ulra even if it was just me running it or does it have to be a true race to count

Also are there any good books that I could read to help with a training plan and / or inspire my. I really need help to motivate me to run more. That is one of the reasons for sitting a goal of running a 50K

Thanks for any information that can be given to me

2013-11-17 12:48 PM
    in reply to: suefesta

User image

Elite
    HURRICANE, Utah
    Subject: RE: thinking about a 50k
    No it wouldnt be crazy to go run 31 by next july at all. Have you completed a marathon half marathon, whats your current running base? Do you have a time that you want to finish it in or just want to go the distance. As far as if you can call it an Ultra....you can call it anything you want Technically there is not a results page so you wouldnt be able to use it as a run if you were looking for 50 states club, 100 marathon club your athlinks profile etc. Depends on your agenda and such - if there is a need to tell another you have "run an Ultra" most will ask ya which one or about the course and see what you thought of it. If you want "creditbility" and "bragging" rights per say most wouldnt look at it as an Ultra - when I train for 50's and above I do an "ultra" almost every saturday and sunday but they are all just runs for me. Im sure there are plenty within close enough range to ya and most trail runs and 50K are much more inexpensive then a marathon
    2013-11-17 4:02 PM
    in reply to: Jungle Jenn

User image

Originally posted by Jungle Jenn

No it wouldnt be crazy to go run 31 by next july at all. Have you completed a marathon half marathon, whats your current running base? Do you have a time that you want to finish it in or just want to go the distance. As far as if you can call it an Ultra....you can call it anything you want Technically there is not a results page so you wouldnt be able to use it as a run if you were looking for 50 states club, 100 marathon club your athlinks profile etc. Depends on your agenda and such - if there is a need to tell another you have "run an Ultra" most will ask ya which one or about the course and see what you thought of it. If you want "creditbility" and "bragging" rights per say most wouldnt look at it as an Ultra - when I train for 50's and above I do an "ultra" almost every saturday and sunday but they are all just runs for me. Im sure there are plenty within close enough range to ya and most trail runs and 50K are much more inexpensive then a marathon

I have done a marathon, half marathon and an ironman distance running base is poor but would not be hard to improve on
    maybe I will look for one that is close to me
    2013-11-17 5:33 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Yes, you can do it! It really isn't any more than training for a marathon. Since you've done one, you wouldn't need a high-mileage plan. In fact, I don't recommend it. Also, if you're doing trails, make sure you're taking walk breaks too! You'll find that really saves your legs.

Where do you live? Are you dead set on July? We can look for some for you. We know all the sites!

2013-11-24 7:33 PM

Oregon
    Yes, you can. I did a 50k before I did a marathon. My mantra that year was to Respect the Long Run. Make sure you get them done.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thinking about a 50k Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Way to Cool 50K

Started by Butchcantswim
    Views: 2207 Posts: 6

2011-03-16 3:42 PM BigDH

Huff 50k advice

Started by borsenik9
    Views: 1691 Posts: 3

2010-11-14 9:07 AM Afletcher

Winter 50k or 50mi