General Discussion Triathlon Talk » run form/leg help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-19 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Subject: run form/leg help
History: I started from no athletic history (other than weight lifting) in 2009. I ran several Half Mary's and was really improving each block to a point of a 1:47 pr in feb 2011. I slowly worked to IM over 3 years. My first IM was CDA 2011. I had little issues during that training block other than typical tired of training. I specifically remember the last 24 mile training run in the heat and hills of Lake Hartwell going well. CDA went as expected. 2012 St. George run was mostly a walk after the carnage of the day. However, this training block also went well. Ran a 50 mile ultra in 2013. It kicked my tail - but mostly due to slant of the beach. During this training block was when I noticed a "stiff leg" issue after mile 15ish and the next day until noon. This issue is consistent. I also have some pain in my left hamstring that comes and goes. Great Floridian training went well as a shorter block. However, I still had the same issue at times. Nothing is a OMG pain and I can push through it at times. I had pretty good days at the Disney mary in 12 and 13.

my main question - does anyone use a good form guy or even better a PT who does form work. Id love to spend several hours with someone for a real eval. SO many people can talk form. Everyone has an opinion. I am not looking for someone to sell me Newtons and give me a lecture in biomechanics (unless my whole biomechanics sucks). I am in Statesboro so Atlanta is no issue a few times a year but would be a PITA to do weekly.

thanks in advance

2013-11-19 4:59 PM
in reply to: kstater39

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: run form/leg help

I went to the Sports Factory to have them review my stride and form.   They filmed me on the tready and it was hugely insightful.   They gave me a bunch of things to work on then did a follow up to see the progress.   I corrected lots of issues.   It was a long haul for me and I stopped at that point.   I should have stayed with them for a session or two longer.   I think i would have been better off now.

2013-11-20 1:46 PM
in reply to: thecaptin

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Thank you for the reply Captin. I will call and check them out.
2013-11-20 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Thank you for the reply Captin. I will call and check them out.
2013-11-21 6:01 AM

User image

Regular
I would also recommend Kyle O'Day with Continuum Sports. I've done a lot of work with Kyle on my run form and will continue to work with him in the offseason. The first session of working with Kyle was doing a detailed video of my run. When I say detailed, I mean detailed There were a lot of ah-ha moments when we went over the video together and that gave me a few things to work on. After I worked on my own for a couple of weeks, we would meet again and correct something else from my session.

I think this would work good for you given you don't have to meet every week. Plus, the video analysis is extremely helpful. I think part of why I liked it so much is that he didn't have me correcting 19 things at once. We worked on a couple of things at a time and built on that every couple of weeks. I can't recommend enough

http://www.continuumsports.com/staff
2013-11-22 5:48 AM
in reply to: atlTri4Food

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Originally posted by atlTri4Food I would also recommend Kyle O'Day with Continuum Sports. I've done a lot of work with Kyle on my run form and will continue to work with him in the offseason. The first session of working with Kyle was doing a detailed video of my run. When I say detailed, I mean detailed There were a lot of ah-ha moments when we went over the video together and that gave me a few things to work on. After I worked on my own for a couple of weeks, we would meet again and correct something else from my session. I think this would work good for you given you don't have to meet every week. Plus, the video analysis is extremely helpful. I think part of why I liked it so much is that he didn't have me correcting 19 things at once. We worked on a couple of things at a time and built on that every couple of weeks. I can't recommend enough http://www.continuumsports.com/staff

Thanks for this.  This si very close to my house, so I am going to check them out.

2013-12-14 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

I would also recommend Kyle O'Day. I have sent numerous athletes to him as well as plenty of Dynamo Multisport athletes going to him. He does a great 4-5 step process to help your run form. Feel free to reach back with any specific questions.

2014-03-24 8:27 PM
in reply to: Shanks

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Kyle ODay was the answer to my issues. Thanks for the referral. It is a little early for final verdict. However, it is an understatement to say I have seen drastic improvement since spending time with this man. Thanks again everyone.
2014-03-25 2:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Can you add some color on what he did to help you along?  I am thinking of making the investment after getting an azz kicking at the Publix race on Sunday.

Edited by thecaptin 2014-03-25 2:00 PM
2014-03-25 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
IMHO many factors contribute to run success .. Base, speed work, motivation, weight, nutrition, and form. I had spent many training blocks trying to manipulate these factors. I had a lot of relative success early on (I'm slow but for me I thought I had done well). However, I had actually started to slow the past year to 16 months. I have a good coach, my motivation was high, I really had little room to manipulate my weight anymore, I had tried various nutrition options. I was just really sucking at the run at the 12-15mile and beyond mark. I tried to manipulate my form at various group form forums. Just made things worse to the same. I think somehow my form had grown into this horrible slugfest during my long training runs prepping for a 50mile ultra. Kyle just took a total immersion into me.. Video, discussions, strength assessment, etc. I did not feel like he was trying to make me fit this or that. He was concentrated on what I could do to be more efficient. Biggest point he saw was I ran with everything behind me. No knee lift and totlay bent forward up top. After seeing the video and his suggestion I am back to running like I did at my fastest. I am doing this while I am actually not in good shape. I do not have the pain or slow to move for 12 hours post run. Now full disclosure I need to see what happens after a long run. But so far 10 miles has felt good. I'm not saying that he will fix everyone. He was the missing link for me. He would not say it I'm sure, but I could see a light in his eye after we videoed me. He simply said I think I can help you. I think my form was pretty freakin bad.
2014-03-26 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Thanks...I am going to reach out to him because my form is pretty freakin bad...my prior coach was shocked and and dismayed at what I was going "naturally"...while I made some gains prior,  I think I can make some positive gains with more oversight, input and coaching.

2014-03-28 9:16 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Great feed back!

fwiw, I've had two really smart and successful runners tell me ultras ruin speed.  I have developed the same form as you had, so I know what it's like.  If possible, do about four  5Ks a couple weeks a part.  Sometimes you can relearn speed form.  

2014-03-31 11:16 AM
in reply to: brown_dog_us

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Originally posted by brown_dog_us

Great feed back!

fwiw, I've had two really smart and successful runners tell me ultras ruin speed.  I have developed the same form as you had, so I know what it's like.  If possible, do about four  5Ks a couple weeks a part.  Sometimes you can relearn speed form.  

Who are you?  We do not allow Colorado people to post on our forum.  :-)   Good to see you are still reading our anemic board.  How is the running out West?

2014-03-31 2:47 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Hey Captin - glad you revived this thread!

My own coach has been working with Kyle fairly closely on joint coaching several athletes (my coach's own personal strengths are in the swim and bike). I have been IM focused for the past 4 years and have decided to get some of my speed back this year. So while I have not  have been working directly with Kyle we have been incorporating a lot of his ideas and methods in my training and it seems to be paying off in spades. Seems you can teach an old dog some new tricks, or at least get it back to doing its same old tricks almost as well as in its glory days!

Keep us posted as to your plan (with Kyle or others) and how you get along.

2014-04-05 12:55 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Originally posted by thecaptin

Who are you?  We do not allow Colorado people to post on our forum.  :-)   Good to see you are still reading our anemic board.  How is the running out West?

The running sucks.  I had to slog through 19 boring trail miles today.  

Here is the view from where I could see back to Boulder:

Steph has to do 3 hours on the bike, so we are going to meet her in Lyons for beers and music at Oskar Blues.   

Basically, this place sucks.

2014-04-05 1:18 PM

User image

Elite
SE
Oh the suffering! ^^^

2014-04-06 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

yup, think if I HAD TO  run there I might just quit. 

Maybe I should move to Colorado...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » run form/leg help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Saving My Legs Strategy

Started by thecaptin
Views: 1479 Posts: 17

2011-10-10 10:33 PM thecaptin

Race Rehearsal Tips for The Swim Leg

Started by thecaptin
Views: 877 Posts: 2

2010-05-13 5:16 AM brown_dog_us

Advice re: running form

Started by dorkasaurusrex
Views: 1511 Posts: 16

2009-11-20 6:25 AM Tommye

Trainer Leg Settings

Started by atlrunnergirl
Views: 1275 Posts: 10

2009-05-28 8:26 AM biggsmoothe

Strong Legs 10k?

Started by autigers_1998
Views: 1260 Posts: 6

2006-11-12 8:29 AM jg2ga
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips
date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day

date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : August 22, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions regarding running form and blisters.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.