World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 02m 9s
Overall Rank = 2151/2643
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 372/435
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am and ate the usual gluten free cinnamon raisin bread toast with a banana. Had a Zone bar 60 minutes out and a GU pack 15 minutes from the start of the swim.
Event warmup:

Got to Tempe town lake at 530 and went to my bike to set-up all of my nutrition and fluids.
Swim
  • 1h 45m 51s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

In the year since I registered for the race, I have read many race reports talking about the "washing machine" effect of the IMAZ mass start. Everyone says it is crazy and survival of the fittest........they were 100% RIGHT! I have only done nine other triathlons and I have never been part of something so crazy. I was smacked around pretty good, but I did my share of the smacking as well. I may have also inappropriately touched someone of the female gender. For that, I'm sorry. It was mass chaos for the first 800 yards and then constant touching until the first turn buoy.

The water temp announced that morning was 63 but it did not seem too bad. I would definitely recommend a long sleeve suit to anyone doing the race in the future.

My warm-up swims coming into the race ranged from 1:30 - 1:40 so I was a tad disappointed with the 1:45, but I survived to the bike and felt good getting out of the water.

What would you do differently?:

Swim in a lane with a dozen people
Transition 1
  • 08m 37s
Comments:

They pull you out of the water and the wet suit strippers do their business (these are the only strippers my wife allows me near). Pretty efficient process. You have to run about 1/4mi to your Swim-Bike bag and then to the changing tent. They changing tent is an interested experience. I saw some things that shouldn't be repeated (mostly people applying Body Glide in an X-rated form), but it's all good. Hey, I did the same thing.

There are some great ladies waiting with sunscreen to cover you up.

My wife Emily and daughter Alyssa were waiting for me was I road out of T1. It was great to see them.

Nothing - went well
Bike
  • 6h 42m 40s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.69 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the part of the race that had me most concerned. I had done a ton of biking leading up to IMAZ. The furthest ride was 91 miles which went well. I also did a ton of research on what to eat and drink on the bike. I nailed that part!

First, I had a GU pack at 15min into the bike with some water. At that point, I drank Gatorade and water every other 15 minutes. I ate something every 45 minutes. Started with the GU, 1/2 Snickers, Chomps, 1/2 turkey pita, GU, 1/2 Turkey pita, 1/2 Snickers, and Chomps. It was perfect. I felt hydrated and energized. I didn't push the bike too hard knowing what was ahead of me on the run.

Nothing - went great!
Transition 2
  • 08m 40s
Comments:

As you ride into T2, they have people waiting to grab your bike. They call out your bib number and someone gets your Bike-Run bag. Back to the changing tent. Went well.

Nothing
Run
  • 6h 16m 24s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where it all went south. The first 8 miles went good - averaging a 12 min mile easy jog. Felt great - no issues. Right at the 8 mile aid station I felt some pain in my left ankle and bottom of my foot. I believe this occurred on the swim when I hit my foot on the water retaining wall after I jumped in - not 100% sure. Anyhow, it became a real issue.

I started a run/walk for the next 10 miles. It was ugly but it worked. I saw my wife at mile 13 and 17 and explained the situation. I just had to keep pressing on.

By mile 19, I was only walking and I could barely move at a rate better that 15 min mile. I caught up to another IMAZ finisher Bryan who was in the same boat as me. His knee was in pain and he couldn't run. This started two plus hours of conversation that saw us move from mile to mile and aid station to aid station. As we talked, time flew by and before we knew it - we were at mile 25. We decide to give the run another shot. We did about .5 mi and then walked. My buddy Jeremy was waiting. He explain we did not have far to go. We were off. Bryan entered the chute first and I slow jogged 1/4mi behind him. I wanted the chute to myself.

I entered the chute - an experience I will never forget. Hundreds of people cheering, I slapped as many hands as I could find. I saw Emily and Alyssa near the finish line and then crossed. I raised my hands in achievement. Incredible feeling!

Not sure here. I would say run more but I did a ton of that. I as unable to bear weight on my foot for three days after the race. I am currently in a walking boot. I figure the wall did the damage but I'm not 100% sure.
Post race
Warm down:

After you cross the finish line, you get your metal, shirt, and hat. You do some pictures and off to the food tent. I chowed some pizza and fries - yummy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Foot injury

Event comments:

This was my first Ironman race and it was everything I thought it would be. The volunteers were absolutely amazing! Ironman throws a great event. Everything was organized and went together perfectly. The run course is about as spectator friendly as you can get - which is great.

Thank you so much to the city of Tempe, all of the volunteers, and to the Ironman foundation - you guys did a great job with IMAZ.

Last updated: 2013-11-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:45:51 | 4224 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/435
Overall: 0/2643
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Sleeve
Course: Long Loop
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:42:40 | 112 miles | 16.69 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Three loops out to Fountain Hills on the Beeline.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:16:24 | 26.2 miles | 14m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Two 13.1 mile loops around Tempe Town Lake. Used to be three loops but they changed it this year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-11-20 5:55 PM

Subject: Ironman Arizona

2013-11-21 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4902126

User image

Omaha
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Thanks for this race report!! Great job!!! Very inspiring!!!
2013-11-24 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4902126

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Great job of pushing through your issues and becoming an IRONMAN!!! Enjoyed your RR!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2

Started by tjfry
Views: 7554 Posts: 33

2006-04-13 6:25 PM tjfry

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MikeB
Views: 10672 Posts: 60

2006-04-12 11:01 AM devotchkatata

Ironman Arizona

Started by stinger
Views: 1675 Posts: 7

2005-07-09 10:57 PM cadreamer

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madcow
Views: 6488 Posts: 53

2005-04-20 11:48 AM DB8

Ironman Arizona - Tiger Phil's Story Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 7160 Posts: 74

2006-06-21 7:53 AM benihana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.

date : May 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 4
It is my opinion that even though everyone else considered her a triathlete, she did not consider herself one. I think she still felt like she had no fitness direction and had given up on triathlon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!