General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-21 7:06 AM

Subject: Wetsuits
I am new to the tri world and I am a weak swimmer. I have heard that a wetsuit is the way to go and will provide buoyancy to make you float. They said you can float in one without any work. How true is this statement?

2013-11-21 7:13 AM
in reply to: Run/BikertoTri

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Wetsuits
In the ocean (salt water) I can pretty much just lay back and will float. I have the Xterra Vortex Full. In a lake/pond/whatever else, it definitely helps a lot, but you can't just lay back and float necessarily. I'm also a bigger guy 6'6" 240# so maybe for a smaller person you'd get more buoyancy. If you can get some good quality pool work in without the wetsuit, once you put it on during an open water swim you'll notice a huge difference.
2013-11-21 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The wetsuit will provide some additional buoyancy but you should not rely on this for your safety in the water. If you cannot complete the race distance (no matter how slowly) comfortably without a wetsuit, please do not enter a tri until you have worked on your swim some more! I haven't noticed that I can float without effort in my full wetsuit in fresh water; I still have to maintain proper body position and do some amount of stroke or treading water. In fact I once somehow ended up upside down in very choppy water (?!) and the wetsuit made it harder for me to get my head back up. It's not like a life jacket that pops you back to the surface, head up. I'm a strong swimmer, but in that instance I was in a bit of a panic. (Caught in a storm with high winds on a lake and a huge swell came at me, I tried to dive under as it as I do when body surfing in the tropical ocean and it didn't work out!)

I'm fairly small and lean though; maybe different for someone with more natural buoyancy? At any rate, don't depend on your wetsuit as a lifesaving device! That being said, it does provide additional buoyancy that will make you faster than without a suit; how much difference depends on how weak your swim is. It's my experience that weaker swimmers see more dramatic gains.
2013-11-21 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Originally posted by Run/BikertoTri

I am new to the tri world and I am a weak swimmer. I have heard that a wetsuit is the way to go and will provide buoyancy to make you float. They said you can float in one without any work. How true is this statement?

I will make sure to say this right away. Yes the wetsuit will help you out a lot in the swim. It will make you faster and also provide quite a bit more buoyancy as well. That said...you are a weak swimmer as you say so here is my .02c. Get swimming. Swim more and then when you think you have swam enough...swim even more. You do not want to rely on a wetsuit to ever "get you through the swim portion of a race". If you feel that way then you are not ready to complete that race "safely".
2013-11-21 12:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have been swimming and plan to be swimming throughout the winter to improve. Last thing I am going to do is get in open water and not be able to do it. I had just heard different things on the wetsuit and was looking for answers from people who do participate.

2013-11-21 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Depends on the suit, but yes, you can "sit" in the water and stay afloat and certainly float on back; however, I would caution against counting on that fact in an open water swim etc. It's not substitute for learning to swim properly and training appropriately for your distance.

2013-11-21 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Also, practice in the suit you get- don't just swim in it first time on race day. Feels different, want to get comfortable and get confident.
2013-11-21 1:27 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Melbourne, Florida

I haven't worn a tri wetsuit, but this is entirely from observation. I was watching a race on TV the other day (Universal Sports Network is my new favorite chanel) and the swimmers looked like they were paddling on a shortboard (surfboard) rather than swimming. It was crazy how they were skimming above the water. If you've ever surfed, you'd notice it too.

This is the complete opposite effect that you would experience from a surfing wetsuit. I've snapped my leash many time and had to swim after my board. Once water gets into the suit, you'll just sink like a brick.

Again, this post has to value, but it's an observation. 

2013-11-21 2:57 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by taylorz13

Also, practice in the suit you get- don't just swim in it first time on race day. Feels different, want to get comfortable and get confident.

My first wetsuit swim and first OWS were in the same race. I would not recommend it.
2013-11-21 4:16 PM

User image

Tuscaloosa, AL
I just got a wetsuit and went for my first swim yesterday. I got the Xterra Vortex sleeveless. Water temp was 62. Yes it kept me warm and I felt much lighter in the water, but the thing that I consider the biggest was the change it imposed on my swimming form. The suit really made my butt and legs go much higher in the water which dropped my chest and head lower. I found that it was more difficult to get my arms out of the water during the stroke, and it was a bit harder to get my head in a position to breath. It made it much, much more difficult to get my head up out of the water to sight. I felt like I was swimming with a pull buoy.
2013-11-28 10:19 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Originally posted by jlruhnke

Originally posted by taylorz13

My first wetsuit swim and first OWS were in the same race. I would not recommend it.

+1.

2013-11-29 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Wetsuits were brought into the sport to keep you warm. Bad idea to rely on that. Some races disallow them if the water is too warm
2013-11-29 1:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Los Gatos
I was also a very weak swimmer when I started triathlon. And yes, you will find a wetsuit will make your life a *lot* easier. Get yourself a 5mm suit (the thickest that is legal) and it will give you masses of buoyancy.

I weigh 170 pounds and I float very easily in my wetsuit.

By the way, one of the other posters said:

"If you cannot complete the race distance (no matter how slowly) comfortably without a wetsuit, please do not enter a tri until you have worked on your swim some more!"

I'm afraid I disagree 100% with this statement. I'm an advocate of the "in at the deep end" method!

When I started training for my first triathlon, I could barely swim 25m. 18 months later, I'm now a confident swimmer and that's the result of a couple of things. First, of course, is a *lot* of time down the pool (and some good lessons). But just as valuable was the open water experience - OW is scary the first few times and I believe you should start building OW confidence as soon as you can.

Personally, I jumped in the OW (wearing a wetsuit) when I could barely swim 2-300m. Yes, I was in a supervised session with my triathlon club but to be honest, it's mighty hard to get in trouble wearing a wetsuit. If you panic, just relax - lay back and float.

If I'd waited until I could "comfortably" swim the distance without a wetsuit, it would have been a very long time before I entered a race, Instead, I went from total non-swimmer to completing my first olympic (with ocean swim) inside 4 months.

I've now done something like 20 triathlons, every single one wearing a wetsuit. These days I *could* swim the race without a wetsuit but why should I? I'm faster in a wetsuit and it's safer - with all that buoyancy, I'm not going to drown.

Maybe one day, I will be entered in a race where it's too warm for wetsuits - but where I live (NorCal), it's not likely.

Purists will probably not like this email - you shouldn't use a wetsuit as a crutch etc etc.

I see their point - but I can tell you there are a *heck* of a lot of people like me!

Just my $0.02…you may not be as ballsy (reckless?!) as me :-)

Good luck - and welcome to the best sport on the planet!

Edited by smallard 2013-11-29 1:55 PM
2013-11-29 3:40 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by simpsonbo Wetsuits were brought into the sport to keep you warm. Bad idea to rely on that. Some races disallow them if the water is too warm

^^^This^^^

The purpose of a wetsuit is safety related to cold water.  They are intended to protect you from hypothermia.  Buoyancy is a side effect.

Put in the time and effort to become a proficient swimmer so you don't need to worry about whether you get a performance benefit out of the wetsuit.

2013-11-30 7:19 PM
in reply to: smallard

Thank you for this very positive reply to the original post. I am a novice swimmer doing two very short tris this year ( I found the shortest pool swims i could find). I have not yet purchased a wet-suit but read about how they help weaker swimmers. I'm often amazed when people comment on you should not rely on a wetsuit for your tri's People do not say if you don't have a super expensive tri bike with fancy wheels do not do a try! we all try and get that edge and if you need a wetsuit go for it. The super swimmers still ride tri bikes which makes them go faster on the bike?
2013-11-30 7:28 PM
in reply to: smallard

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by smallard  *snip*

These days I *could* swim the race without a wetsuit but why should I? I'm faster in a wetsuit and it's safer - with all that buoyancy, I'm not going to drown.

*snip*

I just have to comment on the bolded statement because it is NOT true.  If you had said that "with all that buoyancy, I'm not going to sink" you would have been correct.  However, it is very possible to drown while wearing a wetsuit - think floating face down.

Please don't think of your wetsuit as a life jacket even though it is equally (if not more) buoyant.  A wetsuit's purpose is to keep you warm and make you faster (and maybe keep jellyfish off....).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wetsuits, wetsuits, wetsuits

Started by joemac3
Views: 1885 Posts: 12

2007-09-04 7:40 PM haygosl

Wetsuit or No Wetsuit?

Started by JKat
Views: 954 Posts: 13

2005-08-24 9:01 PM mscotthall

Wetsuit that is too big or no wetsuit?

Started by vmr719
Views: 875 Posts: 6

2005-08-25 12:39 PM TH3_FRB

Indoor race swim..wetsuit or no wetsuit

Started by Buzzyman
Views: 1348 Posts: 4

2005-05-02 6:14 PM JGFTri

Difference between tri wetsuit and surfing wetsuit?

Started by aphoric
Views: 1345 Posts: 7

2004-08-04 1:46 PM aphoric
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 7
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.