General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chondromalacia patella Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-21 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: Chondromalacia patella
Has anyone had this? I originally thought I had a torn meniscus. I was getting a lot of pain after running and my knee would lock up but then with rest I was fine until the next run. After the MRI, the dr. said there was no tear but some signs of arthritis and chondromalacia. How did Physical Therapy go? How long did it take to get back to "normal"?

Thanks!

2013-11-26 10:43 AM
in reply to: TeddieMao

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: RE: Chondromalacia patella
do lots of single leg exercises. avoid using machines that work both legs at once. This I'm learning!
2013-11-26 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've had tracking issues with my right patella for years.  My ortho surgeon suggested surgery at one time years ago, but I've resisted that.   It flairs up occasionally when running, and decending stairs is always painful.  I've learned to manage it by taking walk breaks during long runs and by adjusting my gait (shortening my stride and increasing my cadence).

I've tried a couple of different support straps and like the Nike Patella Band best.  I wear it all time for running: either training or for stand-alone running races.  I've not worn it for sprint or Oly triathlons, but would probably put it on in T2 if I ever did a HIM or IM. 

Mark

2013-12-17 1:59 AM

Huntington Beach
I'm so sorry to hear about the Chondro... its one that I usually tell people to do some strength training on the off season and consider dropping to faster yet shorter events and that all seems to help a bit. If you truely get an idea of what it is you would be able to make a better choose of races because you have to weigh your risks. Here's a good video on Chondromalacia Patella for some more info http://www.p2sportscare.com/2013/06/25/chondromalacia-patella/
2013-12-17 9:16 AM
in reply to: artmansg

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Thanks for all the advice!
2013-12-18 9:32 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
I have found that wearing a knee brace helps the knee cap track properly. I'll wear it for about a week and that eases up the pain in the kneecap. I'm thinking getting the k-tape to shift your kneecap a little probably would do the trick and be less bulky.

But in the long term, building up the leg muscles helps. It's why I started cycling more.

2014-05-13 5:17 PM

User image

Hopefully someone whose been through this will post something meaningful. I've also recently been diagnosed with this inconvenient affliction.

I have a mild case so my Ortho said - no running for 12 weeks. Period. That's a tough pill to swallow but if it means I can get back to normal training after that i may try and stick to that plan. It's grinding of the cartilage with running so there is no recovery from major damage. I'm terrified of not letting it heal while the diagnosis is still "mild".

I'll do some aquabike events in the mean time.

Apparently my onset of this was the result of a gait change due to a broken foot last Fall. I ramped up the training late winter and the loss of dorsiflexion in my right foot manifested in a choppy stride which resulted in my hips adapting to the loss of flexibility which tightened my hip flexors and Psoas. That took my knee somewhat out of aliment and resulted in the patella grinding away at the femur.

So I don't have a knee problem. I have a foot flexibility problem.

I'm doing a ton of PT work to get my core, hips and feet aligned so that my gait goes back on track. (literally) You really need an individualized program because everyone has different weakness and imbalances the need to modify if you were 'normal" once and now suffer from this.

I'll post a reply in a few weeks as I learn more about this.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chondromalacia patella Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

knee tendonitis versus chondromalacia

Started by noelle1230
Views: 5339 Posts: 4

2012-10-08 9:45 AM noelle1230

Chondromalacia surgery?

Started by mxr746
Views: 2556 Posts: 5

2012-08-12 9:38 AM nickster

Chondromalacia

Started by mxr746
Views: 854 Posts: 3

2012-03-01 7:24 AM mxr746

Chondromalacia of the patella.

Started by MaesMama
Views: 753 Posts: 1

2008-04-15 10:57 PM MaesMama

Knee Surgery- Fractured Patella from stress?

Started by JohnTris
Views: 998 Posts: 2

2007-01-04 9:31 AM gair70.3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : September 19, 2012
comments : 0
I have several years of pain behind both kneecaps that I had diagnosed as chondromalacia, or patella femoral syndrome. Rest has helped, but I'm wondering if surgery offers a more full recovery.
date : April 18, 2012
comments : 1
Here are several treatment options for runners knee presented from the least invasive to the most invasive.

date : August 12, 2008
After about 45-60 minutes of generally light jogging I am getting shooting pain in the left side of the knee under the patella.
date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.

date : April 9, 2005
Supplementing with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health improvement for a member with a diagnosed chondromalacia patellar problem.