General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone care to give me feedback on my marathon plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-24 10:09 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Anyone care to give me feedback on my marathon plan?
Originally posted by colinphillipsThis looks like a demanding program. But if your body can handle it, then go for it. The one thing that stood out to me was the long/medium runs. If the long runs are 16-18-20, how long is the medium-long run that you plan for once per week? At the level where you are, I'm not sure that there's any secret sauce in the exact design of the workouts. The more important thing is that you avoid injury, and recover well from the training that you're doing. It may be what you do with the non-running hours that makes the most difference, for better or for worse.Looking forward to reading about how it goes.
The medium run (or runs if I can) would be 10-13ish. Keep in mind right now I'm doing 60-70ish regularly while training for 6K XC meets. Again, I'm not interested in doing mileage for mileage sake (I always try to run with purpose.) But if someone could explain how I make the call between total rest and active recovery I'd love to hear it. Right now, I don't plan for days off but if I start to feel like I'm grinding out purposeless miles or feeling sick/run down, I have no issue taking a day or days. Is that proactive enough?

2013-11-24 10:27 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
University Park, MD
I'm not so sure about the notion of "purposeless miles" and other similar terms. I'm more persuaded in the case of biking, but I think that in running the benefit of adapting to the sustained pounding is so great that simply running a lot is very helpful.

You're a more experienced marathoner than me, and also far more resilient (oh for the days when I didn't get injured ...). But for what it's worth, the biggest revelation to me in my last marathon cycle was the benefit of the medium-long runs of 13+. I tried to get 2 in per week, though often one of those days was a double with 15 split into 9+6. Those made the 20+ mile long runs so much easier to recover from. That made the day-after-the-long-run much more doable, and it also made my family much happier with the day-of-the-long-run.

Anyway, I think you're on a good path, and you should avoid overthinking the details on this one. Your shorter distance times have been coming along nicely, and your mileage and experience will get you through the distance. The remark about recovery was about getting adequate sleep, good food etc., plus anything else that will keep you off the injured list. If you can do that, then you'll be flying come April. Did you have any difficulty this year with the downhills early in the race? If so, then doing something to prepare your quads for that might help.
2013-12-05 9:15 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by colinphillipsI'm not so sure about the notion of "purposeless miles" and other similar terms. I'm more persuaded in the case of biking, but I think that in running the benefit of adapting to the sustained pounding is so great that simply running a lot is very helpful.You're a more experienced marathoner than me, and also far more resilient (oh for the days when I didn't get injured ...). But for what it's worth, the biggest revelation to me in my last marathon cycle was the benefit of the medium-long runs of 13+. I tried to get 2 in per week, though often one of those days was a double with 15 split into 9+6. Those made the 20+ mile long runs so much easier to recover from. That made the day-after-the-long-run much more doable, and it also made my family much happier with the day-of-the-long-run.Anyway, I think you're on a good path, and you should avoid overthinking the details on this one. Your shorter distance times have been coming along nicely, and your mileage and experience will get you through the distance. The remark about recovery was about getting adequate sleep, good food etc., plus anything else that will keep you off the injured list. If you can do that, then you'll be flying come April. Did you have any difficulty this year with the downhills early in the race? If so, then doing something to prepare your quads for that might help.
I never responded to the last part, Colin. I wouldn't say I had trouble with the downhill (other than a moment of disregarding discipline ) but I am going to continue, emphasize even, leg strength for this. I think XC has really helped with this and that was kind of the point of doing it (as part of an overall periodization plan.) Other than hills and some specific repetition type of strength eork, our coach has us do step ups and step downs. Do you have any specific recommendations?
2013-12-05 11:20 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
The thought was that there might be some value in preparing the quads for the additional pounding, though I wasn't full of ideas on how that could be achieved. Some people have claimed that those first 10k really do a number on their legs, which makes the next 10 miles harder than they should be. When I was a super-resilient teenager I used to do bounding and hopping drills, which really strengthen up the quads for impact forces. But the mere thought of that makes me feel injured nowadays.
2013-12-07 12:43 AM

User image

Barrow Island, Western Australia

My 2 bob's worth,,,   to get through a successful marathon you need to get at least one  30 km run usually around the 3/4 mark of your training just make hitting the wall (usually around the 30 km mark) alot easier to get through on race day     even if you don't you'll get through no worries and that's what marathoning is all about

Good Luck 

2013-12-08 3:46 PM

User image

Barrow Island, Western Australia

Morning Colin,

what I've found depending on time frames,  is to take the first 10k easy to settle your nerves, get a rythmn going there's a fair few Kms to get through.  Next 20 crank it up and enjoy the run last 10 is where the moment of truth kicks in,  first marra i did i think my longest run was around the 25km mark, and the wall was definitely there.  next couple of runs i put the longer run of 30 in which made a huge difference the wall was still there but later around the 35km mark and not as bad. I'm sure there are others more qualified than me but to really train the legs and the whole body for the long distance you've got to do the yards.  Having said that, if this is your first marathon the trick is to get through it and at the end (maybe a week later say to yourself man I'd like to do another one of those! 

2013-12-08 3:53 PM
in reply to: markmark

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Thanks Mark. My remarks on the early part of the marathon were specifically about the downhill in Boston, and probably don't apply to most other marathons. Adrienne, the OP, is a recent-but-quickly-experienced marathoner who is putting in a high-mileage program in preparation for her 2nd Boston marathon next April.
2013-12-09 12:14 PM
in reply to: markmark

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by markmark

My 2 bob's worth,,,   to get through a successful marathon you need to get at least one  30 km run usually around the 3/4 mark of your training just make hitting the wall (usually around the 30 km mark) alot easier to get through on race day     even if you don't you'll get through no worries and that's what marathoning is all about

Good Luck 

Thanks, Yeah, I think I've got that covered when I say my long runs will go 16, 18, 20 (ish) But I will be starting it earlier than the 3/4 mark for sure, as I have the pre-marathon volume to support it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone care to give me feedback on my marathon plan? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Runner's World Marathon Training Plans - anyone tried them?

Started by alex_korr
Views: 5046 Posts: 10

2012-11-07 8:43 AM taylorz13

Feedback on plan of overcoming ITBS Pages: 1 2

Started by timf79
Views: 3240 Posts: 27

2012-07-16 9:07 AM timf79

My Olympic distance training plan... feedback please

Started by abreakey
Views: 1092 Posts: 9

2012-06-08 7:39 PM bhctri

Give me some swim stroke feedback (w/video)

Started by tuwood
Views: 1663 Posts: 23

2012-01-28 8:55 PM gerald12

AQUA JOGGING-Looking for Feedback,Plans from those who have experience

Started by isis
Views: 1722 Posts: 5

2008-01-03 10:16 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 3
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 3:00-4:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.