General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for bike trainer videos to help increase speed during off season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-22 2:46 PM

Subject: Looking for bike trainer videos to help increase speed during off season
Anyone have any workout videos you like to help build speed during the offseason? I plan to do lots of interval training but I am looking for a video or two that will give me a few different workouts to keep it fresh, so what worked for you? Thanks, justin

2013-11-22 3:41 PM
in reply to: weiky

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Looking for bike trainer videos to help increase speed during off season

Originally posted by weiky Anyone have any workout videos you like to help build speed during the offseason? I plan to do lots of interval training but I am looking for a video or two that will give me a few different workouts to keep it fresh, so what worked for you? Thanks, justin

The sufferfest has several very good videos with killer workouts.  Give them a look!

2013-11-22 7:56 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Subject: RE: Looking for bike trainer videos to help increase speed during off season
I agree and also like the sufferfest videos
2013-11-22 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

I'll give a third for the Sufferfest videos. Specifically, Revolver is a total butt-kicker for intervals: 1 minute maximal effort intervals with one minute rest, x16! 10 minute warmup and 5 minute cool down give an intense 45 minute workout. Violator is a new video that has 64 intervals between 5-15 seconds in length over 1:07 total length. It almost looks like Tabata intervals. There are probably others that I'm not familiar with, and trainerroad probably has several other workouts that are more interval focused but don't include videos

2013-11-22 10:52 PM
in reply to: 0

San Jose
Another vote for the Sufferfest videos. Excellent videos, mixed with instructions that add a little humor to the workout, well ok, a sick sense of humor.

Edited by clydecat 2013-11-22 10:55 PM
2013-11-23 12:15 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by weiky Anyone have any workout videos you like to help build speed during the offseason? I plan to do lots of interval training but I am looking for a video or two that will give me a few different workouts to keep it fresh, so what worked for you? Thanks, justin

The sufferfest has several very good videos with killer workouts.  Give them a look!

I had never heard of these videos, they sound very interesting (hint to other noobs like me: don't search for them on amazon you'll end up with videos that are not sufferfest, but spinerval videos, which are different. My understanding is, the sufferfest stuff is only available online:
http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/

2013-11-23 12:52 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Like everyone else said, sufferfest. And yes, you'll only be able to get them from the source since they are digital downloads. I would assume any third party seller is going to be illegal.
Excellent video's and lots of choices. Be ready to want to die after them. They are named appropriately
2013-11-23 4:50 PM

User image

Santa Fe
I use my iPad on my aero bars watching you tube trainer videos.
2013-11-23 5:06 PM
in reply to: tacozilla

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Since no one has brought it up yet
SUFFERFEST
2013-11-23 5:12 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Downward spiral is also a good one. All out efforts start at 2:00 with equal rest, then decrease by 15 seconds each time...twice.
Check out a comparison table here: http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/
2013-11-23 5:35 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Just tried my first SufferFest video today and HOLY DAYUM.  

Yep, they'll kick yer azz.  

2013-11-23 6:46 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Just tried my first SufferFest video today and HOLY DAYUM.  

Yep, they'll kick yer azz.  

Well Monica if that's how you feel I'm stuffed. I looked at them last night and to be honest was more than a little scared!
2013-11-24 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4903242

User image

Connecticut
Just looked at some of "previews" on their website. They look pretty intense. Are there any in particular that you might suggest for a first timer looking to build endurance? I completed my first sprint tri in Sept. and now want to stay fit and train in the off season for preperation for next year. Any suggestions to beat the boredom of the treadmill?

Thanks
2013-11-24 11:16 AM
in reply to: trytritryguy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Has anyone mentioned SUFFERFEST?

"Dark Places" has a tendancy to cause tunnel vision.
2013-11-24 10:42 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by trytritryguy

Just looked at some of "previews" on their website. They look pretty intense. Are there any in particular that you might suggest for a first timer looking to build endurance? I completed my first sprint tri in Sept. and now want to stay fit and train in the off season for preperation for next year. Any suggestions to beat the boredom of the treadmill?

Thanks

Go to the link I posted above and click the red bar that says: "video comparison table". There are two that specify that they are for endurance.
2013-11-25 8:48 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dfroelich
Originally posted by trytritryguy Just looked at some of "previews" on their website. They look pretty intense. Are there any in particular that you might suggest for a first timer looking to build endurance? I completed my first sprint tri in Sept. and now want to stay fit and train in the off season for preperation for next year. Any suggestions to beat the boredom of the treadmill? Thanks
Go to the link I posted above and click the red bar that says: "video comparison table". There are two that specify that they are for endurance.

They have their descriptions for what people think they want to see, but I look at theme a bit differently. And to help simplify things. "Hill Climging, "TT", and other terms tend go blah, blah, blah on the trainer. I look at duration and effort level of the work sections.

Violator is a sprint workout, so not as useful for tri (though it does look hard)

Vids marked as "Speed" would be a VO2 workout with 1 or 2 of them possibly pushing into anaerobic at times. I'd also put Local Hero here as it can work well if one understands how to do it.

Anything else currently there would be threshold focused. Something like Blender can go (much) higher at times, but most of it is still working around threshold.

2013-11-25 6:17 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest "sufferfest"

My personal favorite is "blender" - 1:45 of suffering

It seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time (ISLAGIATT) is 1:56 of suffering

some dark humor too, lots of fun, great to pair with trainer road.
2013-11-28 9:36 PM
in reply to: tonyladd

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Originally posted by tonyladd

I agree and also like the sufferfest videos

+1.
2013-11-29 12:02 AM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Expert
hahahahas, when I saw this thread and the post count, pretty much figured it was all SufferFest

+1 for SufferFest

And what I do for endurance rides to mix things up is use one of the speed or race ones and just dial my effort down to endurance pace. ISLAGIATT and Blender are good, but sometimes I need to mix my endurance stuff up.
2013-12-02 8:13 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Since there is a lack of support for these videos I'll just suggest...SUFFERFEST. Seriously, they're great, I'm about to hop on the bike and do Hell Hath No Fury. I tend to enjoy my trainer but these really add some value to any trainer ride
2013-12-03 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Sufferfest. I just got the first one and like it. Needed something to spice up my trainer sessions vs. just watching netflix.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for bike trainer videos to help increase speed during off season Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me improve bike "fitness" off season

Started by powerman
Views: 811 Posts: 3

2011-11-05 6:24 PM powerman

To off season or not to off season???

Started by molly@rosenblumlawlv
Views: 2064 Posts: 14

2011-08-29 11:26 AM PinkPrincess

Golf During The Season and Off Season

Started by TRI G33K
Views: 1379 Posts: 14

2009-11-18 3:54 PM Laffenguy

Running Help !! how to increase my speed

Started by Tring at 44
Views: 1071 Posts: 8

2006-07-22 6:20 AM RedCorvette

HELP/OFF SEASON/BIKE/TRAINING/PLEASE

Started by swbkrun
Views: 762 Posts: 6

2005-11-02 9:44 AM Rich Strauss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.