General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running on indoor track...Why am I way faster or is it way short? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-22 4:44 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Running on indoor track...Why am I way faster or is it way short?
I occasionally run on the indoor track at my local YMCA. It says it's 16 laps to a mile. I always try to run the outermost edge of the lane just to make sure I'm going as long as possible per lap. I'm not slightly faster, I'm ridiculously faster, nearly 1.5 min/mile faster. For example, when I run my aerobic pace outdoors, nice weather, flat terrain, I'm usually in the 10:15-10:30 min/mile range and even then I'm usually pushing an HR of 165 by the end.
Today I ran the track. I did 4 miles, I averaged 9:15 min/mile, and that was only because I really slowed down during the final mile because my HR started creeping to the mid 150's. Overall I averaged a 145. I probably could've been in the mid 8's if I let my HR get up to the mid 160's.
It's hard to gauge the feel of my speed indoors because it always feels faster in when you're in close proximity.

Any thoughts on this?

2013-11-22 4:57 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Running on indoor track...Why am I way faster or is it way short?

If your outdoor course is reasonably flat, I would say the track is off.

I would be tempted to pace it off and check if you really want to know.  But really, 30 minutes of running is 30 minutes of running (at a certain HR) no matter what the actual distance is.

2013-11-22 5:39 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

That's a really small track- 100m around. Most indoor tracks at universities or other athletic centers are 200m, or 8 laps to a mile. Since it's a non-standard distance, I would bet that it's just measured approximately. There's no way you can be that much faster without feeling it to be much harder.

Incidentally, short tracks like that with such tight turns could be tough on your body for extended distances. Is there a treadmill you could use instead?
2013-11-22 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
GPS and find out.
2013-11-22 8:43 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Regular
I have an uncle who's knees can attest to those little tracks being bad on them. He used to run 8 miles a day on them. Two surgeries, so far. The constant turning is bad for many reasons.

Our local Y has an indoor track above the BBall court. 20 laps = a mile. I'd rather use the treadmill than that torture device!

You could get a measuring wheel and check it to be sure, but as said above, 30 minutes = 30 minutes. Keep your RPE the same, and you'll be in the ballpark.
2013-11-23 12:49 AM
in reply to: Coach Gil

User image

Originally posted by Coach Gil

GPS and find out.

GPS doesn't work indoors!

2013-11-23 2:19 AM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Originally posted by DannyII

I have an uncle who's knees can attest to those little tracks being bad on them. He used to run 8 miles a day on them. Two surgeries, so far. The constant turning is bad for many reasons.

Our local Y has an indoor track above the BBall court. 20 laps = a mile. I'd rather use the treadmill than that torture device!

You could get a measuring wheel and check it to be sure, but as said above, 30 minutes = 30 minutes. Keep your RPE the same, and you'll be in the ballpark.

I agree. I stay away from tracks now. A few years ago when I started running and signed up for my first marathon and I had to start with 3 miles. Well week 1 was during a cruise and they had a mini "track" at the top of the ship. Since this was my first race, I didn't want to half anything and I decided to run during my vacation. The "track" was 33 laps = 1 mile. Wow...let me tell you how exciting running and counting 99 laps for 3 miles was. It's very exciting....

Anyway though, I've ran up to 18 miles on a indoor track that was 2.5 laps = mile. At every turn I could feel my knees hurting. Now, I would stick to the treadmill over a track. Also, as other have said. If you're going with HR and time, then as long as your HR is in your target zone, ignore how far you think you may be going.
2013-11-23 5:30 AM
in reply to: Blastman

Our Y has an indoor track that]s 14 laps per mile. I always use the treadmill instead (but outside trumps inside always, tho).

My guess is that w/ small tracks, even a small under/over estimate of the length is compounded when you start putting on tons of laps, resulting in some really wonky distances. In those cases, go for time (like Kido said). Watch your knees, though. I hate the thought of all those turns.
2013-11-23 6:51 AM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Our track is around 9 laps for a mile. I only resort to the track when it is extremely cold/icy outside. And then I do no more than 4 miles before switching to the deadmill because I found that my inside leg hurts from the ankle to the knee from the tight turns. So watch yourself. As for the distance, I am not sure any of these indoor tracks at rec centers are accurate. As stated, running 30 minutes is running 30 minutes. Try to work on form if nothing else.
2013-11-23 9:07 AM

User image

The 951
There are two 5K courses I run at work in MCAS Miramar. For those familiar with this place they are the Mills Field half mile-ish track and the Miramar Way jogging path (pull up bar to pull up bar then back). I am a full minute faster on the track. This is probably because the effects of wind are less (since I turn more) and the flatter profile works to my advantage. Maybe your outdoor course has terrain or weather conditions that slow you down some.
2013-11-23 12:49 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

That's a really small track- 100m around. Most indoor tracks at universities or other athletic centers are 200m, or 8 laps to a mile. Since it's a non-standard distance, I would bet that it's just measured approximately. There's no way you can be that much faster without feeling it to be much harder.

Incidentally, short tracks like that with such tight turns could be tough on your body for extended distances. Is there a treadmill you could use instead?

It is very small. It's on the second level above the gym. So it basically goes around a regulation size basketball course. There are plenty of treadmills I just hate them so much. You're completely right about the turns being hard on me and I really felt it when I was finished. I'm just able to zone out easier on the track than the treadmill, I just can't stop starring at the distance and it feels like it takes forever.

2013-11-23 12:49 PM
in reply to: Coach Gil

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by Coach Gil

GPS and find out.

GPS doesn't work in there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running on indoor track...Why am I way faster or is it way short? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I running my long runs too fast? Pages: 1 2

Started by Zero2Athlete
Views: 4799 Posts: 48

2013-03-02 9:42 AM slonce5

Why am I running slower?

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1292 Posts: 16

2009-09-25 6:43 AM Scout7

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Phantom pains and other ways to tie running shoes

Started by Donto
Views: 1928 Posts: 13

2009-01-28 3:18 PM saltydog7mile

The Top 10 Ways to tell a Power Bar from a Dog Turd

Started by PGoldberger
Views: 1110 Posts: 12

2004-09-01 11:18 AM glf33
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.
date : October 17, 2004
author : mbologna
One way to improve your speed is to do track work that totals the time and distance goal. The idea is to slowly condition your body to be comfortable at your goal pace.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle