General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Lactate Threshold test...thinking my numbers are off..Help...Mike Ricci around? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-24 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Bike Lactate Threshold test...thinking my numbers are off..Help...Mike Ricci around?

I did my LT test on my trainer last week and I am feeling the result was higher than it should be based on yesterdays workout, so I wanted to get the groups opinion and even if Mike Ricci is around I would appreciate feedback.

First of all I am sure this is why power readings are more accurate.

I did my test last saturday and followed the test exactly as it is written being sure that at the end of it I felt "I gave it all I got"...this was for my trainer zones....pretty fresh legs etc

After the 20 mins I came up with a 166 average, which I though was high but I am a good sprint distance rider  finishing towards the top so I figured I would use it.

This gave me in the 2 most important zones  zone 2: 137-148 and Zone 4 156-165

Fast foward to yesterday for my first training session. I was planning on doing some intervals fluctuating from zone 2 to zone 4 etc

After a 5-10 min warm up when I started trying to get my HR into zone 2 I felt that I was working way too hard for zone 2 effort....I felt when I was at 137 it was a high end of zone 2 and 145-148 felt like when I am doing an oly race.....this perceived effort definatley was not the effort I was feeling in LP ie conversation pace, all day effort etc

When I tried to do Zone4 effort I could get nowhere near 165 but I did get near 153,

When I look back at the workout 130-132 felt like closer to zone 2 effort, so I am wondering if I should :"tweak" the numbers back a little to be certain I am in the proper zones or just do the test again?  Maybe I worked too hard during the test?

Backstory: I have trained 3-4 years and have done 3 HIM and 1 IMLP this year and getting ready for Challenge AC as my A race....though I am a reallygood sprint distance rider , I am a MOP rider at best for HIM/IM distance.  Up to this point , Though I have used HR in training it was not the "prescribed" way to do it....basically took percieved exertion and corresponded it what my HR told me and just used that.....so though this bastardized version has worked to finishing an IM and I have done well in sprints, I want to be better, more efficient with my training,  get faster at longer distances. and really do it the "right way".    I do not think the power meter is going to be in the budget till after Challenge AC

So what do you think? SHould I try to stay with these numbers for a bit? retest? or just back the number down 5-6 BPM per zone?

Thanks for any input

2013-11-24 12:28 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Bike Lactate Threshold test...thinking my numbers are off..Help...Mike Ricci around?
Originally posted by FELTGood

So what do you think? SHould I try to stay with these numbers for a bit? retest? or just back the number down 5-6 BPM per zone?

Thanks for any input

BAck them down by 5-6 BPM per zone, train for a week or two, note how it correlates with perceived exertion and repeat the test in a well rested, well hydrated state in 1-2 weeks.

Lots of reasons HR may be higher than normal or that you are unable ot get your HR as high as you can on other occasions, so don't stress about it.

it's one data point in an entire season, so just compare to future datapoints.
2013-11-24 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Bike Lactate Threshold test...thinking my numbers are off..Help...Mike Ricci around?
Do you have your HIM HR data ? You can maybe cross check with that.

What is your average during a well execute HIM ?
2013-11-24 6:04 PM

User image

Were there any differences in the conditions of the test and the next ride?  Trainer vs. outdoors, temperature, sleep, overall fatigue, etc?

2013-11-24 6:30 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master

Send Shane gsmacleod a note. To say that he's excellent with interpreting power and testing data would be an understatement.

2013-11-24 7:07 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Catwoman

Send Shane gsmacleod a note. To say that he's excellent with interpreting power and testing data would be an understatement.

There's no power data, but I'd also be curious to hear his suggestions for the OP.

2013-11-24 8:03 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Elite
Thanks for input......no there was no change, I conditions, it is set on trainer and nothing was changed.....same tension etc.uSuzanne, I think I will take your advice and just lower several bpm and try that for awhile. Would rather not test right away and it is early in the " preseason"....and maybe retest in a month or so.My last HIM was last May so I did not want to use data from so long ago and also I had a sidewall blowout and took a dnf in it since I was not carrying a spare tire.Thanks for input but if anyone has any other ideas, that would be great
2013-11-24 8:32 PM

User image

Master
I have tried to use HR in the past with trainer intervals but if the intervals are fairly short it doesn't work well. You can get a Garmin GCS-10 for <$60 or <$40 on Amazon and get Virtual power. HR works great for longer efforts.
2013-11-24 8:49 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Elite
Originally posted by pschriverI have tried to use HR in the past with trainer intervals but if the intervals are fairly short it doesn't work well. You can get a Garmin GCS-10 for <$60 or <$40 on Amazon and get Virtual power. HR works great for longer efforts.
I know what you are saying, and I think I can use my.current setup with trainerroad for virtual power.....and I agree that there are shortcomings to HR and would prefer to.use power.That is why I was certain to warm up a lot to get my hr up before I started the 30 min test. It took a good 15 minutes to do so......I also agree that especially in my trainer workouts my Hr stays very low for a period of time.
2013-11-24 8:50 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

The sites I read said that you should do LT and FTP testings on a real ride outside and not on the trainer since we tend to overheat a lot on the trainer. I know it's super cold now (at least where I am) but if there is ever a day where it's "nice enough" and you can dress accordingly, you may want to try the test outside.
2013-11-24 8:55 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Elite
Originally posted by BlastmanThe sites I read said that you should do LT and FTP testings on a real ride outside and not on the trainer since we tend to overheat a lot on the trainer. I know it's super cold now (at least where I am) but if there is ever a day where it's "nice enough" and you can dress accordingly, you may want to try the test outside.
Yea, I live in northeast so getting cold, but I had read something also that you should have numbers for indoor trainer and outdoor ( which I may redo in spring) because if you try to use indoor trainer numbers outside or visa versa it will not be the best....I think I learned that here....anyone know any problems with that thinking?

2013-11-24 8:59 PM

User image

Yes...keep separate numbers for indoor and outdoor.  Some people may be able to have both numbers close, but most will have some degree of variance.  Once you get more experience riding indoors and out, you should be able to estimate the difference for your personal setup/trainer so you don't have to constantly test both situations as the seasons change.

2013-11-25 9:42 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by pschriverI have tried to use HR in the past with trainer intervals but if the intervals are fairly short it doesn't work well. You can get a Garmin GCS-10 for <$60 or <$40 on Amazon and get Virtual power. HR works great for longer efforts.
I know what you are saying, and I think I can use my.current setup with trainerroad for virtual power.....and I agree that there are shortcomings to HR and would prefer to.use power.That is why I was certain to warm up a lot to get my hr up before I started the 30 min test. It took a good 15 minutes to do so......I also agree that especially in my trainer workouts my Hr stays very low for a period of time.

For all the issues you mentioned, I gave up using HR+RPE right away and went the virtual power method. 

2013-11-25 1:30 PM

User image

Master

If you have everything you need for trainerroad than you have what you need for Golden Cheetah. (http://goldencheetah.org) It`s a free download and you own your own data. You can also easily upload your data from it it here or TrainingPeaks. You don't have to have a trainerroad subscription. It's completely free minus your time and effort
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Lactate Threshold test...thinking my numbers are off..Help...Mike Ricci around? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cycling Lactate Threshold vs. Running Lactate Threshold

Started by harrisdthompson
Views: 6470 Posts: 7

2011-07-29 3:52 PM brigby1

Lactate Threshold Test - Who can administer this test??

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 1733 Posts: 8

2007-11-12 9:06 PM Bill

Mike Ricci's LT TT Test... Pages: 1 2

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 2503 Posts: 38

2006-10-19 6:42 PM TH3_FRB

The Mike Ricci LT Test

Started by kpar
Views: 902 Posts: 4

2006-09-14 7:15 PM the bear

Lactate Threshold Test on the Bike

Started by MikeB
Views: 782 Posts: 9

2006-06-08 4:36 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : March 4, 2010
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : December 20, 2009
Discussions on lactate threshold testing and when to do LT workouts, threshold and tempo workouts, and time off after a full Ironman.

date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?
date : March 21, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
March BeginnerTriathlete of the Month Interview with Mike Ricci

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : October 30, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By focusing on your limiters during the off-season you can accrue your highest rate of return for training time invested and set yourself up well for next season.

date : September 3, 2005
Can you tell me how my LT and V02 max have not decreased after 8 months of absolutely no speedwork? I did very minimal running up until February 2005.