United States
22F / -6C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 1s
Overall Rank = 1/188
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Got up a couple hours ahead of time. Ate a little bit, not much. Figured out a couple options to wear. Wanted to see how conditions felt on site. Haven't seen weather like this since last winter (22F and 20+ mph North wind, Wind Chill just over 0).

Drove over to the site, nearly froze just getting to the front door of the school, wind was penetrating everything. Picked up my number, talked a bit with the organizers, classmates of mine. They made sure I knew the route well as they figured I'd be at least near the front.
Event warmup:

Put some more stuff on and jogged part of the course, up in the area I wasn't as familiar with, putting in a couple miles. Felt ok once I was generating some more heat. Had considered shorts, but not with this wind. Really don't like running in pants, but didn't want to risk anything. Good deal of hi viz stuff to be seen easily. Met up with my brother & sister after getting back to the school. Mostly just waited in the gym from then, catching up with some other people I hadn't seen in quite a while. Event was a fund raiser for one of our teachers, so most everyone here had some sort of connection to it.
Run
  • 21m 1s
  • 3.35 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Started just behind the front line. Most seem to take off really fast. I do better building into it. Brother said he planned to just hang right by me, but of course he took off. First bit is false flat down plus a tailwind, was seeing mid to low 5's for pacing, which was way too fast. I knew it was from the boost, so just rode with it. Wasn't hard to keep up. Made my way through most of the early fast starts in the first half mile or so. Got around 2 more on the trail section, one was a 13-14 yr old kid who ducked behind me for some wind protection as long as he could. My brother and a high schooler were another 100 yds or so up the road. Kept them in sight and was very slowly reeling them in.

Came up to the turn into a subdivision (completing the first small loop) and they kept going straight. I yelled & pointed "that way" to the person manning that corner and they agreed with me. I was going there regardless. Brother and the kid were too far ahead to hear. Knew he'd figure it out eventually, but this why you know the course ahead of time.

First time leading a race in anything, so just kept up the effort and did what I could. Had to go into the wind for a bit and knew it'd be tough. Had everything zipped up well, so it wasn't as bad as before, just a lot of resistance. I always feel like a parachute. Made my way partially around the loop to the out & back, not knowing for sure exactly where the turn would be. Sure enough it was right at the bottom of the only (yet small) hill on the course. Barely noticed it coming back up. The 13 yr old was a little ways back and everyone else was quite a bit farther.

I had stayed on the right side coming out, but everyone else went to the left. I knew we had to be right otherwise there would be crossing over when getting back to the loop. So ran down the right side at everyone, thinking they'd get the idea. At least enough for space on the return runners if not all the way over. They did just fine. I'm bigger than almost everyone running and easy to see with the hi viz vest, gloves & shoes on solid black everything else. had a lot of high fives going down the line here. Resisted hitting the clown who told me wrong way.

Moving right along here with the wind at least partially behind me. Back to the loop and a right turn to finish it off. Lost sight of the kid who had been behind me, hoping he was ok as the gap was huge now. Turns out he ended up going left and lost a few minutes figuring this out. He could have battled for second overall. I was feeling some burn at this point as 3 miles was getting close. Hung on keeping up a strong effort to finish the loop and go around into the parking lot for the finish, first one back. Noted the time said 21 minutes which was very surprising, but then saw 3.35 on my watch. Hadn't looked at distance later on the loop as I knew exactly what it looked like to the finish. Things seemed about right with that extra quarter mile in there.
What would you do differently?:

Not really anything. Just a fun run and my running has been terrible to non-existent for months, so good to just be out there.

Mile splits have a big disparity, but HR built up over the first mile and held very flat the rest of the way, so seemed to do ok with pacing.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around the finish to see who else was coming in. Had to wait a bit as the field really wasn't very deep. Turns out my brother had run his way back up into 2nd place with that 17 yr old a few seconds behind. They ended up going 3.6 to the 3.35-3.4 miles of everyone else. And with the time gap, who knows who would have happened as we all would have been close with that 13 yr old not too far behind.

Went inside to get some food. All the doughnuts were gone already. Just missed getting back outside in time to see my sister come in. Then mostly hung around waiting for others to see how they did.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Extra (but needed) gear for the weather conditions and very substandard run training for the last 4-5 months, including none at all a full month fairly recently.

Event comments:

Really like doing this race and seeing so many people I know. Also really like how they're a benefit to help someone.

Last updated: 2013-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:01 | 03.35 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/188
Performance:
Course: 1 lap with 2 small loops plus an out & back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-11-24 10:56 AM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: Ringwood Rocket 5k

2013-11-24 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4903753

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Ringwood Rocket 5k
Great race, Ben!
I just find it hard to believe that you've never led in any race...wow...you will sure get your chances over the next few years, if you choose to.

Congratulations. I always expect good pacing from you and doing your homework on the course layout. Too bad about your brother having to deal with going off the course, but it seems like there should have been someone there to tell him, no?

Conditions were a real challenge, but I love how you just let all of the fast starters go and then 'reel them in', except for the two off course. Could have gotten interesting the the 3 of you all ran the same distance.

Nice outing, fun read.
2013-11-24 1:47 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Ben,  you know I log stalk you and I know how little run training you've been doing :)  Very impressive run and on such a cold day!  I always love hearing about how you do these kinds of events with your brother and sister.  That's lovely. I hope you've had a chance to warm up, get some good food and relax, but I'm guessing you're in the middle of a three hour ride or something equally freaktastic ;)

2013-11-24 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Wow, Ben, that sounds like quite the race! Good on you for knowing the course before starting the race....I know I'm certainly guilty of following the crowd and/or assuming there will be sufficient cones / signage / volunteers.

Honestly, though, I have to admit that I'm quite jealous that you can throw down a time like that off minimal training (and no running for a month...wtf?!?!). Do you feel like your biking and swimming fitness translate to run fitness?
2013-11-24 3:43 PM
in reply to: switch

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by switch

Ben,  you know I log stalk you and I know how little run training you've been doing   Very impressive run and on such a cold day!  I always love hearing about how you do these kinds of events with your brother and sister.  That's lovely. I hope you've had a chance to warm up, get some good food and relax, but I'm guessing you're in the middle of a three hour ride or something equally freaktastic

We actually haven't done that much together like this. Here and there with my brother, but can't remember much with my sister.

2013-11-24 3:52 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions Wow, Ben, that sounds like quite the race! Good on you for knowing the course before starting the race....I know I'm certainly guilty of following the crowd and/or assuming there will be sufficient cones / signage / volunteers. Honestly, though, I have to admit that I'm quite jealous that you can throw down a time like that off minimal training (and no running for a month...wtf?!?!). Do you feel like your biking and swimming fitness translate to run fitness?

The race maybe could have done more, but they did have maps all around beforehand and did have someone there at the corner. They were just a bit quiet, standing more to the side of the road instead being out in the middle blocking the way. There is also only one road possible to turn on at that point as you can see the entire length of it.

All the work in the other two sports seem to help keep things from falling farther than they did, but I'm most certainly not as fast as I was early in the year. Fatigue resistance to the impact is also noticeably less. I still have power to push off, but the pounding can get to me sooner. 

2013-11-24 4:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Super awesome 5K!  I have never led like that either, must have felt strange but one of those things you just truck along with.

2013-11-24 6:12 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by switch

Ben,  you know I log stalk you and I know how little run training you've been doing :)  Very impressive run and on such a cold day!  I always love hearing about how you do these kinds of events with your brother and sister.  That's lovely. I hope you've had a chance to warm up, get some good food and relax, but I'm guessing you're in the middle of a three hour ride or something equally freaktastic ;)

We actually haven't done that much together like this. Here and there with my brother, but can't remember much with my sister.

Oh, my mistake. I guess I was just remembering the discussion of the tri your sister did earlier this year and you were asking about ideas for helping her stay warm.  I am an only child, so I always think it's cool when siblings do stuff together:)

2013-11-24 8:23 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
NJ
Impressive race given how little you've been running. Great job leading the pack. Congrats.
2013-11-25 7:33 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Way to HTFU it through the cold and wind...nice race, Ben!

2013-11-25 11:08 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pennsylvania

Heckuva great race, Ben!  Your time/pace simply amazes me.  Congrats!

2013-11-25 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Solid and speedy, as always!

HUGE CONGRATS on the win, and I'm glad you didn't high five that one person in the face with the "wrong way" thing as that might have gotten you DQ'd.    

2013-11-25 12:41 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

Nice run, Ben!

2013-11-25 5:58 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nicely run, congrats on the stellar finish. Even nicer that the event was a fund raiser and you were able to compete with your siblings. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ringwood Rocket 5k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ringwood Rocket 5k

Started by brigby1
Views: 1053 Posts: 2

2012-10-27 11:12 AM dtoce

Rockets Run

Started by bkessler
Views: 891 Posts: 1

2008-06-04 1:18 PM bkessler

Rocket City Marathon

Started by Rivi
Views: 1573 Posts: 4

2007-12-12 12:30 PM atl_runner

Rocket Run

Started by BAMBAM66
Views: 775 Posts: 5

2007-07-29 11:37 PM Episcopit

Rocket Run 10-Miler

Started by apenton
Views: 917 Posts: 1

2006-03-20 8:40 AM apenton
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.
comments : 1
Until now, I have shied away from triathlon-specific gear bags. They were just too small for my needs. So imagine my skepticism the day the RRS Triathlon Backpack showed up on my door.

comments : 1
Rocket Science Sports has applied its hyper-technical approach to designing a water bottle. The result is a water bottle with dimples similar to those on a golf ball.
date : May 30, 2005
author : bostic
Swimming has one of the cheapest gear requirements out there. If there’s one necessity any beginner triathlete can’t do without in the pool it’s a good, reliable set of goggles.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.