Gobbler Grind Marathon
13F / -11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 25s
Overall Rank = 226/810
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/30
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:30, to the race at 7:15. Didn't eat much this morning, some oatmeal, a bit of gatorade, a sip of coffee. That was it.
Event warmup:

stayed in the car as long as possible to stay warm. Then headed to the start line to hear that the start was delayed 15 minutes. Was going to take a pre-race gel, but realized it was missing... so no carbs before the start.
Run
  • 1h 52m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Just a rough day all around. Temps were in the low teens at the start time, and I clearly overdressed. Race started out well, Nice and easy and I hoped to kick up the pace after mile 2. It never happened, I began to slow despite having a high RPE and HR. Around mile 6 I just shut it down and turned the race into a training run. I was soaked in sweat, and began freezing. Every aid station after 5 miles had completely frozen water, which sucked, but was unavoidable. Just a pretty miserable day.

I just wasn't mentally there and was content on finishing. I was passed by hundreds of people, but it didn't really bother me, which is odd. Normally, it drives me nuts and I push myself. Today, the competitive side of me was still in the warm car... haha, But I am so happy that I finished my second Half Marathon (albeit with a shit time...) and stopped and thanked every volunteer at aid stations. It was miserable for the runners, but I couldn't imagine how cold they were!
What would you do differently?:

Training was okay, but I did miss a few runs here and there with all the wedding planning we're doing. My training plan also didn't have hardly any Race Pace work, which is a change from previous plans where I felt better about running hard. Just a lot of aerobic runs. I think this could have affected my race, as the pace I was hoping to sustain was much faster than I did today. Also probably didn't take in enough water and missed the pre-race gel. All in all, a bunch of excuses, but in the end, they don't matter. Just didn't have my day.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Rach, and we left. freezing my ass off..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Temps for sure, over-dressing, lack of water, missed gel, training

Event comments:

Nice local race with a pretty good turn out. You can't control the weather, but I still felt they did a good job of at least attempting to have water and gatorade at aide stations (they were very slushy). Volunteers were badasses.

Last updated: 2013-09-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:25 | 13.1 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/30
Overall: 225/810
Performance: Bad
Ave HR: 162
Course: first 3 miles around corporate woods, out on indian creek trail, and back
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-11-24 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: Gobbler Grind Half Marathon

2013-11-24 11:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Gobbler Grind Half Marathon
Sorry to hear about the rough day. In fact, anytime you spend 2+ hours outside when the are temp in the teens it's a rough day. The overdressing fear was one that I had, but luckily did not suffer from. Good job on toughing it out and finishing.

Edited by Barkeep 2013-11-24 11:08 PM
2013-11-25 5:35 PM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: Gobbler Grind Half Marathon
Thanks Mike. And way to have an awesome run! You were flying!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gobbler Grind Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gobbler Grind Half Marathon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1013 Posts: 2

2012-11-20 11:19 AM reecealan

Gobbler Grind Marathon

Started by reecealan
Views: 1274 Posts: 9

2012-11-20 1:04 PM Barkeep

Gobbler Grind Marathon, Half-Marathon & 5k

Started by IMHusker
Views: 1023 Posts: 1

2010-11-25 1:42 PM IMHusker

Gobbler Grind Marathon

Started by ott13979
Views: 1090 Posts: 2

2005-11-28 12:45 PM speedball

Gobbler Grind

Started by montyzooma
Views: 936 Posts: 1

2005-11-20 2:37 PM montyzooma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.