Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Share your pet peeves with voicemail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-25 6:06 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Share your pet peeves with voicemail

1) Outgoing message.  "I will call you back at my earliest convenience."  Unless you are royalty, this is really rude when you think about it.  Doesn't that mean "I'll call you back when it is convenient for me?"

2) Incoming message. Speeding up the cadence when leaving your phone number.  Say your phone number and your name.  Slowly.  Then repeat.  Thank you!

I feel better now!

2013-11-25 8:12 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: Share your pet peeves with voicemail

1)  China does not have voicemail.

2013-11-25 8:30 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Having to check it at all. My "visual voicemail" app is cr@p. Usually locks up before I can even listen to a message. So this means I have to dial my voicemail and go through message and delete or save them. Annoying. Thus I usually never check my voicemail. 

So my pet peeve is someone leaving one. Send me a text message please.  

2013-11-25 9:54 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Messages that have no information other than "Hi, it's xxxx, call me at you earliest convenience."

I will call back and when they inevitably don't answer I say "I got your message, please let me a message with actual details so I can act on whatever it is you need...."  UGH!

2013-11-25 10:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by moondawg14

Neither does Left Brain.

I have a cell phone.....if I don't answer it I don't want to talk to you.  I know you called, I see your number. If I was busy when you called I'll call you back, if I don't, see previous.

I you call me and I don't answer, and then you text me, you'll wait an additional day as a penalty.  

I managed without a cell phone for over 30 years.....I don't want to be "always available".... and I'm not.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.....I'm NEVER leaving a message on anyone's voicemail.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-11-25 10:07 PM
2013-11-25 11:46 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

AT&T frequently delivers my *new* voicemail message weeks after the fact.  I think my account is on the voicemail server that time forgot.

2013-11-26 3:21 AM

Used to have two people checking voice mail in an office. Co worker would never tell me he returned calls/messages.
The guy had other office issues too.
I could start a 'Pet peeves with email' about it.
2013-11-26 6:37 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
1) Agreed on the phone number part. Say it once and then repeat it. And don't blaze through it either.

2) Unless you call me very frequently, I probably don't know your voice over the phone. Nothing worse than a "Hey...it's me. Call me back!"

3) If you call me, and don't leave a VM, I will assume you don't need for me to call you back.
2013-11-26 7:25 AM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

My mobile phone is for my convenience, not yours.

That's my rule.

2013-11-26 7:31 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

I just really hate the VM symbol that pops up. That's probably the only reason I ever check my messages. Hardly ever will I call back, I'll just text (as I wish they had done in the 1st place) something along the lines of, "Hey, got your vm, what's up?"

With regards to people leaving telephone numbers, I get that some people live in podunk nowhere, but it aggravates the hell out of me when people give the area code at the end "555-1010-area code 847".

I have exorcised the demons. This house is clear.

Edited by Brit Abroad 2013-11-26 7:31 AM
2013-11-26 7:39 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

At work - leave me detailed voice mail with Company Name, Your Name and Your Phone Number very clearly spoken.  If you are someone I already knew, I would be able to call you back because I would have the number.  I get sales calls all the time that are never returned, because you can't understand them while they are chewing on their food while driving in their car talking on their phone.

On my cell - If I don't know the number, I don't answer the call, you better leave a message, or I won't call you back and I better understand the message.  I don't call random numbers back just for fun.  We no longer have a land line, so I am sure we are going to get issue with random phone calls wanting us to do this or that survey.  And when it becomes election time, I am sure I will get 10 a day like we did on our land line.  It is amazing how much the phone calls drive me away from the candidate that I may have voted for before.  One during the campaign is OK.  10 in one day is a lost vote.  10 a day for a week, is me pushing against you.  That is after calling the campaign head quarters asking for them to quit calling.

2013-11-26 7:57 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I hate talking on the phone at all.  I realize it's not always possible to avoid but when someone calls me and asks a simple question they could email/IM, I don't call back, I email.  I've had conversations where someone left me a VM, I answered via email, they left another VM with another question, I respond via email....

After many years of being slow to return phone calls, people have learned to email or IM me.  Actually, there is one guy who IMs me to ask if he can call me...

So that wasn't really a voicemail pet peeve, more of a phone one I guess.

2013-11-26 10:37 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

Neither does Left Brain.

I have a cell phone.....if I don't answer it I don't want to talk to you.  I know you called, I see your number. If I was busy when you called I'll call you back, if I don't, see previous.

I you call me and I don't answer, and then you text me, you'll wait an additional day as a penalty.  

I managed without a cell phone for over 30 years.....I don't want to be "always available".... and I'm not.

lol, so true.  Voicemail is another one of those things that's slowly fading away in the consumer market.  It's still fairly prevalent in the business world, but that could change as well.

I never leave voicemails and I rarely check mine.  text messaging is the new interactive voicemail.

2013-11-26 10:53 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I have two VM pet peeves.

1. When someone answers the phone and says "let me call you back" stealing my oppurtunity to leave a VM. Maybe the reason I was calling was not for an in depth conversation, but maybe a reminder, and now I can't do that.

2. When I actually leave a VM and someone calls me back immediately and says "I saw you called". I say I left a VM and they don't even bother to listen to it!!!

2013-11-26 11:10 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Don't send me an email, then call me and leave me a voice mail saying you sent me an email, then saying everything you essentially said in the email.  Way to waste your time and my time. 

OR the opposite, call me, leave me a voice mail and then follow up with an email.  Do one, or the other.  not both.

Actually, the first one is the one the probably gets to me the most.  Send an email then immediately follow up with a call to see if I have seen the email to get my response and then be frustrated that I didn't read your War and Peace tome in the 10 seconds from when you sent it to when you called me. 

2013-11-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by flip18436572...

On my cell - If I don't know the number, I don't answer the call, you better leave a message, or I won't call you back and I better understand the message.  I don't call random numbers back just for fun.  We no longer have a land line, so I am sure we are going to get issue with random phone calls wanting us to do this or that survey.  And when it becomes election time, I am sure I will get 10 a day like we did on our land line.  It is amazing how much the phone calls drive me away from the candidate that I may have voted for before.  One during the campaign is OK.  10 in one day is a lost vote.  10 a day for a week, is me pushing against you.  That is after calling the campaign head quarters asking for them to quit calling.

This might change, but getting rid of a land line has completely cut out calls from phone solicitors.  So, good news!  I don't know if it's just coincidence or if it will take a while to get on the lists, but we cancelled our home phone at least 6 months ago.

2013-11-26 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by tuwood

Neither does Left Brain.

lol, so true.  Voicemail is another one of those things that's slowly fading away in the consumer market.  It's still fairly prevalent in the business world, but that could change as well.

I never leave voicemails and I rarely check mine.  text messaging is the new interactive voicemail.

Voicemail has one good purpose, it is where phone solicitors go to be ignored. At my house anyway.

2013-11-26 2:21 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

It irritates me to no end when I'm leaving a message for someone on their cell phone and about 10 seconds or so into it I get interrupted by, "If you are satisfied with your message, please hang up.  If you like to (something something something, do this).  If you want to continue leaving a message where you left off, press (whatever)"  Oh it annoys the CRAP out of me!  So I'll try to remember where I was, mid-thought, before the prompt cut me off, then try to rush before I get the same irritating prompt again. 

Edited by melbo55 2013-11-26 2:21 PM
2013-11-29 9:41 AM
in reply to: Marvarnett

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by Marvarnett 1) Agreed on the phone number part. Say it once and then repeat it. And don't blaze through it either. 2) Unless you call me very frequently, I probably don't know your voice over the phone. Nothing worse than a "Hey...it's me. Call me back!" 3) If you call me, and don't leave a VM, I will assume you don't need for me to call you back.

x2 on the bold.

2013-11-29 11:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
1) Voicemail messages at companies (not individuals) that start with "Your call is very important to us so please leave a message...". Bull excrement! If incoming calls were important to you then you would have been sufficiently staffed to answer my call.

2) Business lines with voicemail greetings from kids (with the possible exception of children focused businesses and even then I am doubtful). If I want to talk to a six year old to conduct business I will ask my grandchild if he would like an ice cream. Other than that, a bit more professionalism please.

3) Voicemail greeting that say "You have reached us outside of our normal business hours ..." when it is during normal business hours but no body bothered to turn off the after hours auto message.

Yeah, I spend too much time on the phone.

2013-11-30 6:47 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tuwood

Neither does Left Brain.

That's funny.  I hadn't really thought about it, but you're right.  I don't use voice mail nearly as much personally as I do professionally.

I also find it annoying when people use my voice mail like a 1980's era answering machine and leave a message that only says to call them without any details about why they're calling.  This usually adds at least one additional phone call to the exchange before we address what they were calling about.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Share your pet peeves with voicemail Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Friday's Pet Peeve

Started by Tri-It
Views: 460 Posts: 4

2006-05-05 2:48 PM mr2tony

A Pet Peeve of Mine: The Vatican and Condom Use Pages: 1 2

Started by Opus
Views: 1225 Posts: 28

2006-04-27 11:00 AM dontracy

Office Pet Peeves Pages: 1 2 3