Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-26 3:54 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Adult friends

I feel like I spend an increasingly higher proportion of time with my husband, family (some fun but more obligations as parents age) and myself.  I still have a handful of very nice friends, but the time between visits gets longer.  Is this the experience of others as you get older?

I am almost 37 and don't have kids and am a bit of a home body.  A true introvert.  But, I don't want to find myself isolated eventually.   If this is not normal I would try harder to find more friends or approach my friends more often.   

I am just curious about other people's experiences as you mature, especially for singles and couples without kids.

P.S. I realized that somehow "Adult friends" sounds naughty.  That's not what I meant!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-11-26 3:54 PM

2013-11-26 4:13 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Adult friends
Well, I do have kids and I find it really hard to maintain adult friendships b/c so much of my time is devoted to them. I find I have to work really hard to make time to cultivate and maintain friendships. My friends with kids are not generally into the type of endurance activities I enjoy so they don't get it and my endurance sports friends, at least the ones I am closest to, do not have kids so they don't get how hard it can be to get training in. My long winded point is you really just have to put yourself out there regardless of your family situation and make friendships one priority, it is not easier with or without kids.
2013-11-26 4:25 PM
in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

My point about being interested in hearing from people without kids is simply that I understand having kids would add an extra level of difficulty to scheduling and priorities that doesn't factor in for me.      I am interested in hearing, in particular, from people with lifestyles that are more similar to mine. 

2013-11-26 5:08 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I feel like I spend an increasingly higher proportion of time with my husband, family (some fun but more obligations as parents age) and myself.  I still have a handful of very nice friends, but the time between visits gets longer.  Is this the experience of others as you get older?

I am almost 37 and don't have kids and am a bit of a home body.  A true introvert.  But, I don't want to find myself isolated eventually.   If this is not normal I would try harder to find more friends or approach my friends more often.   

I am just curious about other people's experiences as you mature, especially for singles and couples without kids.

P.S. I realized that somehow "Adult friends" sounds naughty.  That's not what I meant!

I was hoping this was "adult friends" in the craigslist context.

Seriously, my best friends are those I ride with. Hours of time in the saddle makes for good friendship. And then a burger and a beer afterwards.
2013-11-26 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon
I don't have kids, and also find it a challenge to keep up with friendships. I am always wistfully jealous of those who have a group of friends from High school or grade school. I have moved too many times for grade school, had a few close friends in HS, but one passed suddenly, one I dated but he is married (and now I am amazed we were even friends), and one got religion in a big way (and I did not), others just drifted away ad we have little in common. So not much in the way-back-childhood department.

My free time is scarce, so I tend to really guard it. I have a lot of 'activity' friends now, but I often like staying home and doing my own favorite things instead of going out to meet up with people.

My solution lately is to have some small get-togethers at our house, and that has been fun. It has also shown who is actually interested in maintaining a friendship. 3 or so turndowns for little reason and I know who isn't worth cultivating further. It has also shown some surprising connections. I do find it odd though that some people seem to enjoy getting together but never initiate contact. Never call or email, but seem enthusiastic when I do. I'm not quite sure what to do with that. After 5 or 6 of those, I wonder if I'm pushy or ??? But then they appear really happy to get together. It's a mystery. I also try to schedule something fun every 2 or 3 weeks. If that's the goal I usually manage once a month or so.

But yeah - I agree - it is hard to keep things going.
2013-11-26 5:21 PM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Bronze member

Yeah, same here. My husband is four years older than me and he was the last one out of his close group of friends to get married. So his friends now have children in high school, college, even graduating college while we still need to find babysitters. Their kids often are our babysitters!

My closest long time girl friends don't live around here but we get together once a year for a girls weekend. I had a lot of close friends when I was teaching full time but we've moved and so have they. The other friends I've made in the last 5 years or so are my training friends. Our long rides on the weekends are also our social time.

Going out as couples - seriously we have probably only done that 5 times in the last year. We really need to get out more!

Part of the problem is we have a lot of family functions - birthdays, holidays, baptisms etc that eat up our weekends. We have 12 nieces and nephews ranging from 9 months to 22 years old. If we're not running around to that stuff on the weekends then we are perfectly happy just to be at home.

2013-11-26 5:27 PM

User image

Bronze member

My point about being interested in hearing from people without kids is simply that I understand having kids would add an extra level of difficulty to scheduling and priorities that doesn't factor in for me.      I am interested in hearing, in particular, from people with lifestyles that are more similar to mine. 

Woops missed that! We were married without kids for 8 years but it was not that different. I had friends invite me to go out on Friday nights when I was teaching but I always wanted to go run or hike. I always thought how strange I was to pass up time with friends for time alone in the woods! And we still had the same issue running around to family stuff all the time.

2013-11-26 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Sometimes I am amazed that my friends from HS and I are still friends, what with all the changes in our lives. We see each other on rare occasion, but it is always enjoyable when we do get together.

I have found that now that the kids are out of the house that we have to "make time" for friends and such, or we will simply go home and be alone with one another. We now make it a point to stop and see friends every Friday afternoon, oddly enough for Happy Hour  Also, I am cultivating friendships with the group I ride with on Saturdays. And The Wife is starting to get together with a new neighbor for Sat morning walks. I think it is a good thing that you are being proactive on this. I also think that relationships are really important and make life so much more worth living, so I hope you are able to get out and find more people to spend time with. I also think that as we get older, it is a bit harder to meet people, although I'm not sure why that is.

Good Luck.

2013-11-26 6:13 PM

Regular
I can relate completely. I'm single and have very few friends. I used to have a lot but we have just drifted apart and making new friends at an older age is not the same as when I was younger (i'm 49). I used to have a lot of friends but not anymore. I have a few friends I ride with but we don't socialize outside of riding. I don't feel we really have much in common but really enjoy riding with them. My other friends whom I've known much longer are busy raising kids and we don't run in the same circles anymore though when we do meet for an occasional lunch, it's like we haven't missed a beat. Some of my friends who are single like to go out and I no longer care to do that. I am an introvert, a homebody, and no longer a night owl. I don't really drink anymore and loud, crowded gatherings just... ugh, don't appeal to me either like they used to. I guess I did all that in my 20s and don't feel like repeating it.. I think I am just getting set in my ways and I'm okay with that, too. My high school girlfriends and I get together for a yearly weekend retreat and it is something we all value dearly because we know each other and it's just easy to be together. It just takes a long time to grow an old friendship. Actually, I think this whole issue is common and a part of getting older.
2013-11-26 7:47 PM
in reply to: up4challenges

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Okay, I feel a lot better now!  I am really grateful that I have a husband who is interested in hanging out with me and we do have a great time together.  I think I am also feeling some pressure after taking care of an elderly parent and thinking about who will be interested in hanging out with me when I'm old   My husband is quite a bit older so I am going to continue with my plan to cultivate strong relationships with my nieces   I also think it's worth pursuing new friends when the opportunity arises and I actually had a fun get together with an acquaintance who reached out, and I am grateful for that too.

2013-11-26 7:50 PM
in reply to: ell-in-or

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by ell-in-or I don't have kids, and also find it a challenge to keep up with friendships. I am always wistfully jealous of those who have a group of friends from High school or grade school. I have moved too many times for grade school, had a few close friends in HS, but one passed suddenly, one I dated but he is married (and now I am amazed we were even friends), and one got religion in a big way (and I did not), others just drifted away ad we have little in common. So not much in the way-back-childhood department. My free time is scarce, so I tend to really guard it. I have a lot of 'activity' friends now, but I often like staying home and doing my own favorite things instead of going out to meet up with people. My solution lately is to have some small get-togethers at our house, and that has been fun. It has also shown who is actually interested in maintaining a friendship. 3 or so turndowns for little reason and I know who isn't worth cultivating further. It has also shown some surprising connections. I do find it odd though that some people seem to enjoy getting together but never initiate contact. Never call or email, but seem enthusiastic when I do. I'm not quite sure what to do with that. After 5 or 6 of those, I wonder if I'm pushy or ??? But then they appear really happy to get together. It's a mystery. I also try to schedule something fun every 2 or 3 weeks. If that's the goal I usually manage once a month or so. But yeah - I agree - it is hard to keep things going.

Totally! I was also wondering about that, because it happens to me a lot.  My mom was just wondering about this, too, so I don't think it's strange.  People are just different.  I have a high school girlfriend who now lives about 2 miles away (we moved from a town about 70 miles away to go to college in the city).  She is always REALLY happy to meet up, so it feels worth doing despite the hit on the self esteem

I wish everyone on BT lived in the same town - think of the fun we'd have

2013-11-26 7:52 PM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by pitt83

I was hoping this was "adult friends" in the craigslist context. Seriously, my best friends are those I ride with. Hours of time in the saddle makes for good friendship. And then a burger and a beer afterwards.

I have made some GREAT friends on BT and still enjoy it when we can get together for a bike ride or run.  In fact, I have expanded my friend pool by a lot due to my BT buddies.  That ebbs and flows, though, and even that feels like it's gotten more difficult with age. 

2013-11-26 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I work from home, so the only other adults I see on a regular basis are at Church and workouts in the pool or Crossfit. I just can't seem to find the time to hang out with my good friends. We have a yearly boys trip that I had to miss because of a cub scout camping trip, and weekends are just booked with family/kid stuff.

I definitely need to put more effort into it.
2013-11-26 8:51 PM
in reply to: ell-in-or

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by ell-in-or I don't have kids, and also find it a challenge to keep up with friendships. I am always wistfully jealous of those who have a group of friends from High school or grade school. I have moved too many times for grade school, had a few close friends in HS, but one passed suddenly, one I dated but he is married (and now I am amazed we were even friends), and one got religion in a big way (and I did not), others just drifted away ad we have little in common. So not much in the way-back-childhood department. My free time is scarce, so I tend to really guard it. I have a lot of 'activity' friends now, but I often like staying home and doing my own favorite things instead of going out to meet up with people. My solution lately is to have some small get-togethers at our house, and that has been fun. It has also shown who is actually interested in maintaining a friendship. 3 or so turndowns for little reason and I know who isn't worth cultivating further. It has also shown some surprising connections. I do find it odd though that some people seem to enjoy getting together but never initiate contact. Never call or email, but seem enthusiastic when I do. I'm not quite sure what to do with that. After 5 or 6 of those, I wonder if I'm pushy or ??? But then they appear really happy to get together. It's a mystery. I also try to schedule something fun every 2 or 3 weeks. If that's the goal I usually manage once a month or so. But yeah - I agree - it is hard to keep things going.

I might be kind of this way, very slow to come around to inviting someone to do something with me. Part of that is being guarded due to getting burned in friendships where I figured out the hard way people were not who I thought they were. So now, as I'm into my 40's, I just don't want to deal with all that nonsense and drama so I don't get involved. For a year now I have wanted to invite a couple of my training friends, their spouses and kids over for dinner and to hang out but I can't bring myself to do it.

2013-11-26 10:59 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Elite
Reno
When I lived in Denver, I had a few overlapping circles of friends -grad school friends, neighbor friends, ... A variety of marrieds, singles, kids and no kids. The various get tog ethers were frequent and fun.

Then I married and moved to NV. I have found it very hard to make new circles of friends. My husband does not really support having people over, and is really slow to warm to people. Reno has been better than Winnemucca.

2013-11-27 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same situation here (44, single, no kids, well on my way to becoming a Crazy Cat Lady). Most of my high school and college friends are married with kids, and that has gradually drawn us apart as they are spending most of their time with kid events, in-laws, etc. and their time isn't very flexible. Plus, of course I am living on the other side of an ocean. After a while, most friendships just slide. I'm partly to blame as I have little time or taste for social media like Facebook, etc.

As for overseas, there's a limited pool of expats and most are in and out in a few years, there's a language and cultural barrier with locals, and there's only so close one wants to get to most colleagues or parents--that can create awkward conflicts of interest sometimes. Social events tend to revolve around the workplace, so the expats one sees are heavily one's colleagues. Many have come with families so children's and family activities consume most of their free time. The younger singles are more into drinking/shopping/partying. The people I consider friends here are usually other older singles
(40+; my closest friend, who has since returned to the US after a her next position in Africa, was a very adventurous 60-something!) who share some interests. Unfortunately they aren't into biking or tri. The sad reality is there isn't much of a social role for a single woman of my age in Asia, outside of work. Even travel is difficult as everything is set up for couples or groups. Mostly I work, train, eat, get the cats fed and watered, and sleep.

When I did live in the States, it was definitely easier at least to meet people to do things with--hiking, biking, open water swimming, etc. Most were more acquaintances than friends, though. Our tri club in Oregon is now defunct; it was never that big, but for me it was just amazing to go to a workout and meet ten or twelve people to swim/bike/run and talk tri with. Having to do almost 100% of my training in isolation for years has really made me value those casual hiking/biking buddies or master's lanemates as well as close friends.

2013-11-27 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

I'm 41, with a boyfriend of 10 years and no kids. 

Yes it is hard to make and maintain friendships with people as you get older. Scheduling with ANYONE is a huge factor. I have to make myself reach out to my friends  to meet for dinner and/or the movies. Mind you, I don't even ask my friends with kids if they want to meet for dinner or the movies. It will never happen. 

I'm outgoing and I like to meet people to do things, but even I find myself wrapped up in all my activities. I'm just really busy and don't have a lot of free time. My other challenge the older I get the less my friends have in common with me, in some respects. They are getting "old", and I'm still very active. 

I will say I have tried to make new friends. I was working on a friendship with a gal who I thought was pretty cool and we had some things in common. Then I had a house party this month, the first one her and her boyfriend attended, and apparently she was using the "N" word around my friends. Afterwards I sent her an email letting her know I'm not racist and neither are my friends, and she got really ticked off, and un-friended me. *Shrug* 

2013-11-27 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Over the past decade I have noticed that I no longer keep in contact with the close friends that I had before I got married and had kids 15 years ago. Most of my friends are from the running club that I run and ride with, however I now have very few friends, if any, that I can call up and talk to or go get a beer with.

I am very much like my father was, I noticed that he really didn't have too many close friends and that his main priority in life was his family. My wife is the same way that I am in that she doesn't have any close friends in town either. We both had a couple of friends in town a few years ago but the have moved since then. In today's hectic work environment with business travel, people relocating for work and family life I think that it is much harder to have adult friendships than it was in the past.
2013-11-27 10:11 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Yes its hard.  I have to interact with people all day and by the time my work day is done I just want to be left alone honestly.  Its funny because i have been thinking about this looking at my facebook page that I have clusters of friends from various sections of my life so its interesting to see the mix as my tri life andy ortho life don't really intersect.  Its takes a lot of effort to maintain those freindsships and some are worht it and some fall by the wayside. I am busy enough I rarely make the effort to try and connect with some one to SBR because quite franly my schedule doesn't allow an extra hour to wait on someone else to get wherever we are meeting or to wait for someone to be available to do something.

2013-11-27 2:59 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

I am single, 45, and have no kids. I was in a relationship for almost 20 years (married 11 years) before my 4+ year on-going singledom.

When we were in our early 20's we started out with a good mix of singles and couples, probably close to 20 people. Most of them we had know since we were in grade 1 or 2. Slowly, as they got married, and especially started having kids they drifted away. We tried and tried to maintain the weekly, then monthly, then once a year get togethers but they just never seemed to have the time. When we got into our 30's there were 3 couples that we hung out with (no kids), plus a few work friends that got into the mix. Now, I am 45 and every single one of my core friends I have know for almost 40 years are married and the last couple is having a kid next year. I am now the third wheel. I have one person who I consider my last true, best friend. He was there when my wife and I were divorcing and he has been there ever since. We play hockey together, road ride and mountain bike together, go to concerts together, go to Jets games, drink, party and play loud music. He is having his first child next May. I am hoping I won't lose him as well, but based on what I have seen the last 20 years I ain't holding out much hope. It just seems like a natural progression.

It is funny. We live in an age where everything is out there and you can have 300, 400, 500 friends on Facebook but it seems like we have become more and more isolated. Everything is superficial, even relationships. We know everything that is going on in peoples lives but we are not close to them.

Dwayne
2013-11-27 3:05 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I'm 36, single, no kids and my friends and I get together regularly and do all sorts of fun and sometimes stupid stuff.  IMO, technology has made it even easier to do that.  Fun new restaurant opens, FB invite to go have drinks and food.  Heck today I just set up a cruiser bike Christmas light ride with bar stops with my close friends.  I should add that these friends come from all different households too, married, kids, no kids, single, etc.  

2013-11-28 7:57 AM

Veteran

She is always REALLY happy to meet up, so it feels worth doing despite the hit on the self esteem

I

???? mtg up with the h.s. friend is a hit on your self esteem? .....surely I misunderstand
2013-11-28 8:50 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

Regular
Originally posted by sheesleeva

She is always REALLY happy to meet up, so it feels worth doing despite the hit on the self esteem

I

???? mtg up with the h.s. friend is a hit on your self esteem? .....surely I misunderstand

I took it to mean that the hit on self esteem is due to always being the one initiating contact and suggesting getting together. The high school friend is happy to meet up but never takes the initiative. It's one-sided.
2013-11-29 12:00 AM

User image

Veteran

This post kind of hits home for me. I'm 33 (married for 14 years, no kids). I've been thinking about this a lot lately ... as in a mini-meltdown teary moment this week. We moved 21 hours from my home town a year and a half ago and I've not managed to make even a little bit of progress towards making friends here. I do live in a very small town (<3k people) which probably contributes to that, but I'm not actually that busy and would drive to meet-up for something fun. Before, I only had a couple friends and we didn't even see each other often, but it at least it was regularly.

I know mid-30's isn't exactly "old", but growing older in isolation is a little scary. I even considered responding to a radio ad needing volunteers to hang out with elderly people and help them with shopping etc.(except it would probably be to help me more than them), then for some reason this seemed really odd and I never applied.

I don't even consider someone with school-aged kids a prospect as they always seem to have so many family obligations, but maybe I need to be more open-minded. People with kids probably need friends too .

I know I surely could somehow make more of an effort, but it's almost like I don't know how to make friends anymore.

2013-11-29 8:14 AM
in reply to: InnerAthlete

User image

i'm very much a home-body - its always been hard for me to just go out and make new friends. Added to that the whole being in the military, on call 24/7 thing for 8 years, including 3 years of shift work (apparently some ppl find it hard to understand when you say, I can't get together this week, I have night shift...) - but i'm trying to make an effort. I used meetup.com to find some local groups of stuff I am interested in - running groups, there is an ariel skills group (think cirque du soleil) that I have done a few sessions of which has been fun. I also joined the local Team RWB which is for veterans and done a few bike rides and stuff with them. But ultimately at the end of the day - I have few really close friends (I just spent turkey day with them) from college and that's about it
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Adult friends Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Friend, more than friend, not a friend??? HELP! Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by lvthgme
Views: 9271 Posts: 299

2007-05-06 9:49 PM speedball

HELP!! I need "adult" halloween costume ideas Pages: 1 2 3

Started by run joe run
Views: 4071 Posts: 62

2006-10-02 6:58 PM Princess_Megz

adults & kids together??

Started by athena
Views: 1008 Posts: 1

2006-07-04 5:49 PM athena

Be Afraid- I'm an adult now.

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 956 Posts: 13

2006-04-30 4:14 PM CalgaryRunner

Adult ADD- A gift? Discuss

Started by possum
Views: 1071 Posts: 3

2006-02-11 7:18 PM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2005
author : malvey
comments : 0
Training for mature and older adults is the key to staying young.

date : February 28, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 1
Triathletes taking the opportunity to reconginze the support of their family, friends and the love of their sports