Shiver
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 52m 25s
  • 4.75 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Everyone warned me that this is not the race to PR - they were right! Nearly 13,000 people and we were stuffed in the middle and we had no where to go except with the crowd. The gun went off and no one moved........it took 5 minutes to get to the start line. I've never been in that before. The roads were too narrow for the amount of people. I had people stop directly in front of me (I plowed into someone because of it) and I had people push me out of the way. This is a one and done for me. Not to mention it was FRICKIN COLD!! Coldest MRR since 1997. Awesome.
What would you do differently?:

My friend who ran with me said "Next year we'll have to get seeded so we don't have to start in the mess." LOL I told her next year I'd wait in the car.
Post race
Warm down:

Parking was a disaster so we parked about a mile away - this was the cool down to walk back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

12,878 other people.

Event comments:

Go to have fun and see the costumes but don't plan on getting in a good race or even a good workout if you don't seed to the front.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Last updated: 2013-10-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:25 | 04.75 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 260/592
Overall: 592/12878
Performance:
Course: Started on Main Street and ran though neighborhoods where the crowd support was pretty cool. Everyone outside cheering, some in their pjs, some with beer and some blasting music. Not to mention the bands and the bagpipe players. Definitely a fun course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-11-29 5:39 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: Manchester Road Race

2013-11-29 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4905995

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Manchester Road Race
welcome to the Manchester Road Race and Happy belated Thanksgiving!

I wrote that exact race report to myself 13 years ago...It is a great venue though, and you just need to know a few tricks to make it more fun...and since you are fast enough to want to be 'running' not 'running into' people, I will give you a few tips so that you can enjoy it more next year.

1) Definitely get a seed card. Since you won't be automatically seeded based on this year's time, you can get one at walk in registration, usually the week before the race. You just bring the url from a race that you were faster than the seed times. The info is posted on the website.

http://www.manchesterroadrace.com/SeedinginfoShell.html

Alternatively, you can email them ,after you've registered, with the information. I did that this year to get my under35 card.

If you are even in the under 40 corral, you will only be a minute or two to the start line and 10K people will be behind you, not in front of you.

2)Parking is an insider's secret. My wife grew up in Manchester so she told me this years ago and I've been using this ever since. The trick is to approach MainSt/E.Center St from the west/north side and get to the side streets behind the church on Main St. Take 84E (from Htfd) to exit 60-rt 6/44 to the light, bear right onto Center St. Keep going until you get to Pine St. (That is about 1/2 mile from the center of town and that last corner where the camera is). Take a right onto Pine Street and a left onto Forrest. Then find a place to park along any of those side streets. I usually go for Chestnut St, but Park, Laurel, Elm, Garden are all very excellent too. It's about a 1/2mile max from any of those spots and you can get as close as 1/8th of a mile. The key is to arrive no later than 8:45am at the corner of Pine and Center heading into the side streets to find a place to park.

Don't take 384. You will be in a big line...

Give it a try next year!
Dale
2013-11-29 7:22 AM
in reply to: #4905995

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Wow, that is a crowd! Congrats on getting through it without injury, I think that in and of itself is an accomplishment.

2013-11-29 8:05 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good job! Sounds like a "fun" race.

2013-11-30 7:01 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by dtoce

welcome to the Manchester Road Race and Happy belated Thanksgiving!

I wrote that exact race report to myself 13 years ago...It is a great venue though, and you just need to know a few tricks to make it more fun...and since you are fast enough to want to be 'running' not 'running into' people, I will give you a few tips so that you can enjoy it more next year.

1) Definitely get a seed card. Since you won't be automatically seeded based on this year's time, you can get one at walk in registration, usually the week before the race. You just bring the url from a race that you were faster than the seed times. The info is posted on the website.

http://www.manchesterroadrace.com/SeedinginfoShell.html

Alternatively, you can email them ,after you've registered, with the information. I did that this year to get my under35 card.

If you are even in the under 40 corral, you will only be a minute or two to the start line and 10K people will be behind you, not in front of you.

2)Parking is an insider's secret. My wife grew up in Manchester so she told me this years ago and I've been using this ever since. The trick is to approach MainSt/E.Center St from the west/north side and get to the side streets behind the church on Main St. Take 84E (from Htfd) to exit 60-rt 6/44 to the light, bear right onto Center St. Keep going until you get to Pine St. (That is about 1/2 mile from the center of town and that last corner where the camera is). Take a right onto Pine Street and a left onto Forrest. Then find a place to park along any of those side streets. I usually go for Chestnut St, but Park, Laurel, Elm, Garden are all very excellent too. It's about a 1/2mile max from any of those spots and you can get as close as 1/8th of a mile. The key is to arrive no later than 8:45am at the corner of Pine and Center heading into the side streets to find a place to park.

Don't take 384. You will be in a big line...

Give it a try next year!
Dale

THANKS!

My husband was in a seeded corral and didn't quite have the same experience I did LOL. I Looked at the seeded requirements and I think I can get the 10K one to work for me.

I read your report yesterday too

We actually parked at 297 E Center St, Manchester, CT 06040 (got there around 8 before the road closed) and it worked out pretty well - we got to duck out a side street to Middle Turnpike and we were home free when we left.

I think the standing around in the cold is what really got to me but you're right - sounds like seeding is the key.....MAYBE next year
2013-12-02 8:47 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice effort in crowded conditions!  Way to go!

2013-12-03 11:59 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Super cool you got to do this race!!!

Sounds like a good time. Great job!

2013-12-03 12:47 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Congrats on a great job during the Manchester Human Obstacle Race!    

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Manchester Road Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Manchester Road Race

Started by PollyC
Views: 1312 Posts: 6

2006-11-29 12:31 PM kaburns1214

Manchester Road Race

Started by bump76
Views: 1100 Posts: 2

2006-11-24 1:37 PM stumfossil

Manchester Road Race

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 1834 Posts: 7

2005-11-28 9:39 AM Stone

Manchester Road Race

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 1280 Posts: 5

2004-11-27 8:20 AM CptnJackSparrow

Manchester Road Race

Started by jf3boardman
Views: 1335 Posts: 2

2004-11-25 10:42 PM Browe79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.