Frontrunner USA
22F / -6C
Overcast
Total Time = 40m 56s
Overall Rank = 14/43
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special... Had a clif bar and some coffee for breakfast. The race was only 5 minutes away. I showed up about 30 minutes before race time and got my packet.
Event warmup:

I did a couple of short little jogs to warm up and then did some ballistic stretching. I made my way to the front of the starting line. There wasn't a lot of people in my race, but I'd rather people maneuver around me rather than have to maneuver around others at the beginning.
Run
  • 40m 56s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the course a week before at a 45:30 doing an easy run in low/mid zone 2 the whole time. My previous best pace for a race was 8:45 at a 5k a month prior. So I set my goal time to be 43 minutes. That would put it at an 8:36 mile, which I thought would be a good stretch.

When I started off, I tried keeping my pace to around 8:30. I did that for the first couple of miles, paying fairly close attention to my lap pace on my garmin. After that, I switched over to my virtual racer view and focused on not losing any of my lead. I checked it every couple of telephone poles and soon noticed I had sped up. I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard and my HR was keeping low/mid Zone 3. So I went with it. I ended up speeding up over the last half of the race and finished my last mile just under 8:00.

After the initial shake-out at the beginning of the race, I passed 4 runners (3 in the last half of the race) and was never passed. So I think I probably ran a good race with a somewhat conservative beginning and speeding up in the last half.
What would you do differently?:

Probably nothing during the race. I was very happy with how it turned out and did much better than I thought that I was capable of.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a few blocks to where my wife and kids had camped out on the race path to cheer on my finish. Put on an extra layer to stay warm (it was about 22 degrees out), had some Gatorade, and grabbed some snacks at the location while I waited for the results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I ran about as good of a race that I could have. I'm very happy with it. But I've only been training for about 3 months. So I'm sure I'll continue to improve over time as I keep at it.

Event comments:

The race is pretty basic. It's a low cost event, so the experience reflects that. Getting your packets and getting the race started was smooth. On the 5 mile course, the only event staff was at the water station. So most of the turns were unmanned. I think there were cones at each turn to mark it, and the course was pretty simple. So I don't think anyone got lost.

On the 5 mile side, there were only 43 participants. So if you are looking to see how you stack up against others, the field is small. But on the flip side, there was a good chance that you could get a medal. In fact, I was guaranteed a medal since there was only one other guy in my age group. Although I ran fast enough to have gotten a medal in any age/sex group. So I still feel like I earned it.

I may run it again since it's a cheap race and right in my back yard.

Last updated: 2013-08-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:56 | 05 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 14/43
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a single loop around residential and county roads. We were either in a shoulder or walking path the entire way. The 5 mile course met up with the 5K course for the last mile or so. There was a water station about half way through the race. The course was mostly flat. Some minor hills. But most didn't even feel like they added much to my effort level. My watch pegged the distance at 4.95 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No