General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue after excercize for days Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-30 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Fatigue after excercize for days
I've had multiple instances of fatigue after exercise that lasts for 2 or more days. I'm fine while exercising -- I even feel great-- but just "crash" later.
For example I did 6-mile run on Thursday, followed by an easy 30 min-tennis game , and 1-hour lifting at the gym.
I'm kind of getting back into training, exercise regimen again, but I felt great during the entire Thursday. Yesterday and today I'm soo tired. I just want to lie down on the couch and watch TV. I usually feel like this after racing.

Have you experienced something like it? It is so hard to know how much I can train because I do not feel tired when I'm "in the zone."

2013-11-30 10:24 AM
in reply to: slonce5

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Fatigue after excercize for days
Sounds like it could just be too much too soon. What you described is quite a bit for someone just getting back into training. Maybe try alternating your run and lift days or decreasing total time or both until you can do them regularly and not trigger the buried feeling. Then slow increases, monitoring the way you feel and resting if needed.
2013-11-30 10:40 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Sounds like it could just be too much too soon. What you described is quite a bit for someone just getting back into training. Maybe try alternating your run and lift days or decreasing total time or both until you can do them regularly and not trigger the buried feeling. Then slow increases, monitoring the way you feel and resting if needed.

Do you think it was too much? I never stopped training totally. I have been running about 12-15 miles a week on and off,
How to figure out how much to train?
2013-11-30 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
"How to figure out how much to train?"

Two days on the couch with no energy after day of working out = too much training.

Try less intensity, more frequency.
2013-11-30 12:40 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by slonce5 Sounds like it could just be too much too soon. What you described is quite a bit for someone just getting back into training. Maybe try alternating your run and lift days or decreasing total time or both until you can do them regularly and not trigger the buried feeling. Then slow increases, monitoring the way you feel and resting if needed. Do you think it was too much? I never stopped training totally. I have been running about 12-15 miles a week on and off, How to figure out how much to train?

That means that if you ran 6 miles that is 35-50% of your total weekly run volume, and the "on and off" part suggests that you haven't been totally consistent.  So that's quite a long run based on your miles per week.  If you're running 15mpw consistently, I would imagine your long run should be no more than 4-5 miles, to minimize risk of injury and fatigue.

I really struggle with giving myself adequate rest, and I can definitely do too much too soon.  I have learned the hard way that I'm much better off increasing slowly and really listening too my body.  If I've buried myself by doing too many hard days, I feel weak, sluggish, and even mentally fuzzy.  I think a lot of us operate under the idea that if we feel tired we just need to HTFU and push through, and sometimes that's true, but sometimes it isn't, and one of the keys to being a good athlete is learning to recognize the difference. 

Jesse Thomas wrote a great article about this.  I remind myself that a slow, steady build is really the way to go.

Back it down a bit, listen to your body, and try  not to increase your training volume by more than 10% in a week, and don't increase each week.  Hold for a few weeks before increasing again.  Record your training, and you will start to know what you can and can't handle, when to push through, and when to give yourself a break.  Good luck :)

2013-11-30 12:55 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
fuel your body with proper nutrition. the body needs quite a bit of fuel to perform long workouts. Just make sure its healthy fuel

2013-11-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: katan2212

User image

Regular
Perhaps you need to start following a plan of some sort, and you definately need to log your workouts somehow as an accountablility check for yourself. As Switch alluded to above, sounds like you are able to run the distance necessary to improve, but aren't doing so on a regular basis.

I like RunKeeper to track my workouts because it's super easy to use - and and it's free. Start music, start Runkeeper, run. It does all the computations and recordkeeping for me. I like the distance and pace reminders. I can view my workouts online, too, and add activities I didn't or couldn't track like my swims.
2013-11-30 3:46 PM
in reply to: DannyII

User image

Veteran
Yes that's is true I have not been very consistent . It was due to on and off knees and shins pain (very light.)
Also, in order to manage my insomnia I switched to working out in the morning. When I work out/run at night I 'm too wounded up to fall asleep.
I'm so not morning person and working out at 5am in the morning is still a struggle, but I'm getting better at this.

I should be tracking my training, but when I do it,I seem to get to obsessed with it. well getting obsessed is not necessary a bad thing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue after excercize for days Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

the 2nd workout of the day, some days bad, some days good Pages: 1 2

Started by crmorton
Views: 3496 Posts: 27

2013-01-21 3:47 PM LPJmom

How Fatigued is Too Fatigued?

Started by nowalk
Views: 1604 Posts: 12

2007-06-18 3:18 PM nowalk

Fatigue

Started by kmhyland
Views: 716 Posts: 6

2004-08-05 10:26 AM kmhyland

Interesting article on fatigue

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 791 Posts: 9

2004-07-30 2:35 PM DulcimerDoc

Aero Position Fatigue

Started by Motivated
Views: 1297 Posts: 6

2004-07-14 2:01 PM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.
date : June 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
Workout associated fatigue is our gauge of a quality workout program. But, excessive or debilitating fatigue adversely affects workout quality, limiting performance gains.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : September 3, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
A general observation of how fatigue can be caused by so many different sources. Finding the true reason can be as simple as watching the sun rise.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.