General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone have Tips for a early season tri in warm weather when you live in area that will is cold Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-02 11:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Anyone have Tips for a early season tri in warm weather when you live in area that will is cold
So I went ahead and signed up for the HIM in San Juan. Cheep flight flights and inexpensive hotel rooms

One of the things that concerns me is that it will be hot for the run (85 degrees) while my training will mostly in sub 50 degree weather. Is thee a way to simulate the heat for the runs in cold weather?

The other concern I have is that it most likely will not be wet suit legal race and I have never swam a half without a wetsuit (it is in salt water so that should help. My guess would be to get a swim in once I get there just to get my comfort level up. But looking for other ideas. Lake Michigan in march would be cold without a wetsuit

2013-12-03 9:46 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Subject: RE: Anyone have Tips for a early season tri in warm weather when you live in area that will is cold

Run in a sauna. Actually 85º is quite comfortable in April. The hardest part will be the sun. There's no way to simulate running in mid afternoon on an island. I live in Florida and get all of my workouts done before sunrise to avoid burning. And I'm not fair skinned at all.

If you can swim more than a mile in a pool, you'll be golden in the lagoon. I train in a pool and when I get in the ocean, I float like a bubble. The biggest concern in the water will be your lips getting salty. Don't forget to put on some lip balm before the race. And maybe on T1.

Puerto Rico is great in the spring. Fewer mosquitos and a nice N-NE wind.

2013-12-03 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Anyone have Tips for a early season tri in warm weather when you live in area that will is cold
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

So I went ahead and signed up for the HIM in San Juan. Cheep flight flights and inexpensive hotel rooms

One of the things that concerns me is that it will be hot for the run (85 degrees) while my training will mostly in sub 50 degree weather. Is thee a way to simulate the heat for the runs in cold weather?

The other concern I have is that it most likely will not be wet suit legal race and I have never swam a half without a wetsuit (it is in salt water so that should help. My guess would be to get a swim in once I get there just to get my comfort level up. But looking for other ideas. Lake Michigan in march would be cold without a wetsuit

Just out of curiosity...Why did you decide to race an Ironman race in an environment in which you can't adequately train for? I'm not being judgemental at all... but after Lake Tahoe, I am now curious why people who live in Florida choose races with snow and vise versa.
2013-12-03 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Acclimatizing to heat only takes a couple weeks. I wouldn't be too concerned about it until a few weeks out from your event. Performing your taper workouts in warm rooms for a couple weeks would probably help. Raceday pacing hydration and nutrition will be very important regardless of preparation.

Here's a guide with some information I've used in the past:

http://www.benning.army.mil/common/content/PDF/Heat%20Acclimatizati...

2013-12-03 1:23 PM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Extreme Veteran
lifejustice - For the Challenge of it. One weakness I had last year was running in the heat and I want to see if I can overcome it. Generaly I always do 1 early spring down south (new Orlean,ocla, oceanside) put San Juan was very inexpensive for me So I jumped at the chance to do a race then sit on the beach for a week.

2013-12-03 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have a problem with signing up for warm-weather races in the winter, and I live in Minnesota.   So, I've been there!   I about died during a half marathon in January in Key West that was high 70s and super humid. I've done some looking into this and common advice is... 

Some strategies to prepare:

1.  Run at the gym on the treadmill

2.  If you're running outside, over dress.  Be careful with this, you don't want to get stranded in the cold if you're really wet!

3.  Sit in the sauna.

Race strategies:

1.   Very careful selection of race outfit - light colors and preferably a loose fitting top for the run. 

2.   Stay hydrated

Have fun!

2013-12-03 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by BuckHamilton lifejustice - For the Challenge of it. One weakness I had last year was running in the heat and I want to see if I can overcome it. Generaly I always do 1 early spring down south (new Orlean,ocla, oceanside) put San Juan was very inexpensive for me So I jumped at the chance to do a race then sit on the beach for a week.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

2013-12-03 2:23 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
GMAN 19030 - trying some different training to see if I can overcome the issue
2013-12-03 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by lifejustice  Just out of curiosity...Why did you decide to race an Ironman race in an environment in which you can't adequately train for? I'm not being judgemental at all... but after Lake Tahoe, I am now curious why people who live in Florida choose races with snow and vise versa.

I'm in 100% agreement with you.  I don't get it either.  I appreciate a challenge as much as the next guy but there's no need for undue suffering.

IMLT is a prime example.  I live in Houston.  It's flat and it was still 90-something degrees in mid-September.  As awesome a place as Tahoe is there was no way I was going to be able to handle the 7000' altitude and cold.  It would have been extremely miserable.  Likewise, I'm not sure people coming from somewhere like Minnesota are right in the head if they sign up for IMTX. 

2013-12-03 2:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by BuckHamilton GMAN 19030 - trying some different training to see if I can overcome the issue

I get it.  I am a bigger guy at 195 ish (185-190 race weight), so heat was always an issue, and I always underperformed.  Signed up for Miami 70.3 this year, and I live in temperate so cal. Why?   Opportinuty for a fun, year end race, see some old friends, etc.    It was not as hot as it could have been, but was well into the 80s and humid, and I performed better than I thought I would in the heat.

Plus for me this is at the end of the day a hobby, so trying new things is fun.

However, I wouldn't be foolish enough to sign up for PR!     I have several friends that have done it from here in southern california, and they all complain how hot it is.  I have specifically avoided this race for that main reason.  One problem is training over the winter, we don't even get a heat wave to use.

Above tips are good, run in extra clothing, set up the trainer in the bathroom no fan, that kind of thing.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-12-03 2:37 PM
2013-12-03 3:03 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I second (or third) the above suggestions about training with artificial heat. I also suggest wearing cooling sleeves (I like the DeSoto Cool wings). They're awesome on the run because you can cram a cup of ice down each arm at every aid station. They definitely made a difference to me during warmer races.

2013-12-03 3:09 PM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Extreme Veteran
85 is not to bad I have raced at 95+ 3 years in a row a racine that hurts
2013-12-03 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I saw one where a guy training for the death valley race actually went so far as to build a hot box in the basement to train in, but really for 85 probably just training inside at a warm room temperature will suffice just fine.
2013-12-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by BuckHamilton 85 is not to bad I have raced at 95+ 3 years in a row a racine that hurts

Oddly enough, my hottest HIM was 90 plus.  In So Cal.   At the beach.  You never know.

PR should be cool for you then 

Edited by ChrisM 2013-12-03 3:34 PM
2014-01-25 10:52 PM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

San Diego
This is true and we also make palm coolers so that you can fill the pockets on your palms with ice. We know from studies that if you cool the palm, the core will cool (obviously if the core is hot, you melt.) They are also great for sun protection (though of course we recommend wearing sunscreen.) Along the same lines we also make a long sleeved top that has ice pockets along the spine - if you fancy that over something over the arm. Email me directly if you need help w/ sizing. And GOOD LUCK!
2014-01-26 12:46 PM

User image

I had a friend who cranked up the heat in her basement and did a lot of training down there to acclimatize for a hot race.

2014-01-26 3:20 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Over dressing in the cold is a bad idea. Overdress running inside is ok.

2014-01-26 3:22 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Prior to Beijing in 2008 the NTC in Victoria did this for both cycling and running.
2014-04-22 10:46 AM

Veteran
Originally posted by lifejustice

Just out of curiosity...Why did you decide to race an Ironman race in an environment in which you can't adequately train for? I'm not being judgemental at all... but after Lake Tahoe, I am now curious why people who live in Florida choose races with snow and vise versa.

for me, I signed up for the IM a year out. I didn't anticipate the life changes over the course of a year that put me in a cold weather state leading up to a hot weather state IM
2014-04-22 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I wouldn't do any heat training sessions until maybe 2-3 weeks out from the race, train as you normally would. If you train your body at 8-10 weeks out for the heat, you need to keep that up the entire block of training and it will only stress your body more and reduce your ability to train well and increase your fitness. Also I would do these heat acclimating sessions on easier stuff, less stresses on your body to recover from i.e. don't do long stuff or key sessions in heat acclimating gear, that will just dig you into a deep hole when you need to really recover well.

For those heat sessions, run on a treadmill with a space heater, or overdress inside for treadmill runs. Saunas work well as well, but through all this watch your fatigue levels. As for the swim, salt water really does help, just get in an EASY practice swim before the race. Be careful though people sometimes tend to get sick in saltwater, hence one of the reasons why people see at the Kona pool and not the pier the week of the race.

Depending on your body size will also tell how much and at what intensity you can train at. Bigger bodies can handle less stress in the heat and smaller bodies can handle more.

If you are losing weight in the 2-3 weeks before the race while heat training that is a warning sign, you don't want to be losing weight at this time, weight should already be dialed in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone have Tips for a early season tri in warm weather when you live in area that will is cold Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Clothing tips for racing in "cold" weather

Started by tluckey
Views: 712 Posts: 2

2012-10-06 10:14 PM m2tx

Tips for staying motivated in cold weather

Started by grahk
Views: 1397 Posts: 10

2011-02-04 7:26 AM wgraves7582

Cold, wet, windy early season tri advice

Started by kellekl
Views: 763 Posts: 5

2010-04-03 7:39 PM PennState

two cold weather running tips Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 3101 Posts: 48

2009-02-04 12:38 PM markz

Warming up in cold weather?

Started by cmrey528
Views: 816 Posts: 7

2007-02-09 9:35 AM agaliza
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.

date : February 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ discusses the essential clothing used to keep your legs and feet warm while cycling or running in the cold weather.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : October 9, 2007
author : RaytownPete
”Dang! That water’s cold!” immediately hit me. In these first few seconds, my triathlon goal sunk quicker than my legs and torso had. I now knew this was going to be a lot harder than I imagined.
date : November 19, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on IM heart-rate zones, LT zone testing, off season focus, aero helmets, flats and tires, 650 or 700cc, cold weather and marathon recovery.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!
date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.