Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-01-20 4:07 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Political Joe TAN

Originally posted by tuwood

You know, if you're going to introduce anti-gun law I can respect you're right to do that.  Let Democracy take it's course.

However, I do strongly suggest that you take a few minutes to educate yourself on the terminology of what you're trying to ban so you don't make yourself sound like an idiot.  ;-)

Anti-Gun Senator Makes a Fool of Himself

It also helps keep loopholes down because I don't own any 30 caliber clips and most certainly don't have a gun that can shoot 30 magazine/clips in a half a second so the legislation would likely not have the desired effect.  

Dude.....it's a ghost gun.....it has crazy powers.  LMAO   

2014-01-30 1:11 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I know I know, it's all right wing spin and they are all just too stupid to recognize that this is better.  

VIDEO: Employees Learn High Costs of Obamacare...

2014-01-30 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I know I know, it's all right wing spin and they are all just too stupid to recognize that this is better.  

Come On, mahn!

For every 10 ACA Horror stories the media publishes, 9 prove to be baseless.   Affordable Care Act is the LAW. Like It, Hate IT, don't matter.  43 House of Rep. votes to repeal it didn't stop it. Supreme Court didn't stop it.  37 states refusing HealthCare.gov AND Medicare Expansion hasn't stopped it. (several states now re-thinking THAT decision).    Hell, most professional Repubs have even changed their tune, saying "We can't go back to the same old, broken system".  WTH!

I'll be kinda glad when the BT "ObamaCare" hard-on err...discussion, runs it course like the Gun Rights discussion?  

2014-01-30 2:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Come On, mahn!

For every 10 ACA Horror stories the media publishes, 9 prove to be baseless.   Affordable Care Act is the LAW. Like It, Hate IT, don't matter.  43 House of Rep. votes to repeal it didn't stop it. Supreme Court didn't stop it.  37 states refusing HealthCare.gov AND Medicare Expansion hasn't stopped it. (several states now re-thinking THAT decision).    Hell, most professional Repubs have even changed their tune, saying "We can't go back to the same old, broken system".  WTH!

I'll be kinda glad when the BT "ObamaCare" hard-on err...discussion, runs it course like the Gun Rights discussion?  

Replacing a broken system with a broken system doesn't do much good. To quote John Wooden, "Never mistake activity for achievement.

I've always hated the "quit complaining, its the law" argument. Unless you are going to argue that all laws in this country are correct and just, I would say that any law is open for debate.

Edited by uclamatt2007 2014-01-30 2:10 PM
2014-01-30 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

Edit: Double post.

Edited by uclamatt2007 2014-01-30 2:09 PM
2014-01-30 2:40 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by uclamatt2007

Come On, mahn!

Replacing a broken system with a broken system doesn't do much good. To quote John Wooden, "Never mistake activity for achievement. I've always hated the "quit complaining, its the law" argument. Unless you are going to argue that all laws in this country are correct and just, I would say that any law is open for debate.

I get that, and I AGREE with you.  But until there is a viable alternative put on the table, until there is 3-5 yrs. of hard data.  Nobody...NOBODY knows how this is gonna shake out.  Small business owners and Finance MBAs posting here on BT are brilliant, but I don't think any of us were called into the White House for our .02 on ACA.  Smart people were in the room. Many were Democrates, some were Repubs, but most likely didn't care.  They think this plan is going to work.  It's not perfect and some people are going to be worse off, but hopefully, many MORE will benefit.  If after a few years, it doesn't work-kill it.   But the notion that all these brilliant folks signed off on a radical new way of doing business knowing, nay, EXPECTING it to fail is tin foil hat nonsense.  

I believed Bush and Cheney about WMDs.  Didn't like them, or agree with them, but I (originally) trusted them.  Until those kind of revelations are exposed-I'll believe this Obama character, too. 

Now, Get out there and picket your Statehouse! 

2014-01-30 2:43 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

For every 10 ACA Horror stories the media publishes, 9 prove to be baseless.   

Source?

I would guess it's more like 9 out of 10 people thought it did something that it didn't do and they're all just finding out they were duped.

I own a business and my experience was identical to what was portrayed in the story I linked.  I know many business owners and the experience is consistent with them as well.  I was fortunate in that my insurance provider let me kick the can down the road and renew in December so we don't hit the pain until next year.

2014-01-30 3:02 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by uclamatt2007

Come On, mahn!

Replacing a broken system with a broken system doesn't do much good. To quote John Wooden, "Never mistake activity for achievement. I've always hated the "quit complaining, its the law" argument. Unless you are going to argue that all laws in this country are correct and just, I would say that any law is open for debate.

I get that, and I AGREE with you.  But until there is a viable alternative put on the table, until there is 3-5 yrs. of hard data.  Nobody...NOBODY knows how this is gonna shake out.  Small business owners and Finance MBAs posting here on BT are brilliant, but I don't think any of us were called into the White House for our .02 on ACA.  Smart people were in the room. Many were Democrates, some were Repubs, but most likely didn't care.  They think this plan is going to work.  It's not perfect and some people are going to be worse off, but hopefully, many MORE will benefit.  If after a few years, it doesn't work-kill it.   But the notion that all these brilliant folks signed off on a radical new way of doing business knowing, nay, EXPECTING it to fail is tin foil hat nonsense.  

I believed Bush and Cheney about WMDs.  Didn't like them, or agree with them, but I (originally) trusted them.  Until those kind of revelations are exposed-I'll believe this Obama character, too. 

Now, Get out there and picket your Statehouse! 

I think you give the people who created this thing a little too much credit because the more it gets implemented the more wrong their projections appear.  

I would be really curious as to where all the language came from with the law itself as well as the regulations.  I would bet there's a heavy dose of special interests in there that only have one thing in mind and it's not helping people.  OK, maybe the people that hire them to get more money, but not "the people".

There is no question that some people are benefiting from the ACA because of the medicaid expansion.  I believe the CBO estimated 9M new people eligible for Medicaid.  That's just free healthcare or a new entitlement though, so the ACA enrollment numbers have to meet their projections to make it work.

I still don't think we've seen any reliable numbers as to how many people have signed up, but everything we have seen has been far short of projections.

I'd say this is a pretty good gauge of how people are responding to the ACA as it goes live:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/obama_and_democrats_health_care_plan-1130.html

2014-01-30 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Source?

I would guess it's more like 9 out of 10 people thought it did something that it didn't do and they're all just finding out they were duped.

Where's YOUR Source?

That's exactly my point, Tony.  I know it's effected you negatively. I've told friends about your experience.  However, my own family has been helped tremendously.  i'm terribly sorry it's impacted you and your family.  But isn't it reasonable to assume that many small businesses like your's have been effected in the same way you've described?  So how will you survive?  You'll adapt and manage your resources and re-learn how to be competitive.  Or you'll fall victim to the businesses that do adapt.  Isn't this the "Free Market" model that lots of folks talk about?   

2014-01-30 3:11 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Source?

Where's YOUR Source?

That's exactly my point, Tony.  I know it's effected you negatively. I've told friends about your experience.  However, my own family has been helped tremendously.  i'm terribly sorry it's impacted you and your family.  But isn't it reasonable to assume that many small businesses like your's have been effected in the same way you've described?  So how will you survive?  You'll adapt and manage your resources and re-learn how to be competitive.  Or you'll fall victim to the businesses that do adapt.  Isn't this the "Free Market" model that lots of folks talk about?   

My source is likely the same as yours.  I made it up.  ;-)

There's no question my business will adapt and survive, but at what cost.  It's kind of like income redistribution, but now it's healthcare redistribution.  We're harming one group to help another group, and as long as we're helping another group then it really doesn't matter that we're harming another.  They need to just suck it up for the good of all.

I've said it many times before so I won't go into it again, but insurance is not the problem.  It's just a symptom.  The ACA simply exacerbates the true problem by trying to fix the symptom.  I don't have all the degrees that probably went into writing this legislation but it's as obvious as the sun is bright that it's not going to work.

2014-01-30 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I'd say this is a pretty good gauge of how people are responding to the ACA as it goes live:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/obama_and_democrats_health_care_plan-1130.html

We won't even know what the enrollment numbers are until Apr-May.  Any speculation before then is fruitless. 

In comparison, How's the whole Firearm BackGround Check thing working out. 

http://www.gallup.com/poll/162083/americans-wanted-gun-background-checks-pass-senate.aspx

2014-02-24 5:59 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Bump

Hey, POJ gang!

2014-02-24 1:09 PM

New user

Source?

Where's YOUR Source?

The problem I have with your statement is that it is not his competitor's actions that may put him out of business, but that of the government. How would you feel if Tony say had to lay off a number of his work force just to be competitive? This administration probably would think its great because it would give those who were laid off a chance to eat dinner with the family, or study art or a number leisure activities employment kept them from. This administration knows nothing about business world and neither did the people who actually wrote the law or they would have seen this train wreck coming as did many people in the business world.
2014-02-25 2:44 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by NXS

Source?

Where's YOUR Source?

The problem I have with your statement is that it is not his competitor's actions that may put him out of business, but that of the government. How would you feel if Tony say had to lay off a number of his work force just to be competitive? This administration probably would think its great because it would give those who were laid off a chance to eat dinner with the family, or study art or a number leisure activities employment kept them from. This administration knows nothing about business world and neither did the people who actually wrote the law or they would have seen this train wreck coming as did many people in the business world.

Hey, Rick. 

The ACA thread is probably the best place for this....but since you brought it up.  "You Didn't Build That"  comes to mind.  According to many, if a business fails-blame the Govt. But if business thrives-it's the result of good management.  Your term 'This Administration" implies that ANY administration has/will/can do a better job. I disagree.  Less Govt.= less regulations=less protection for consumers. More Govt=more regulations=less $$ for business.  If you wanna argue about the president, we can do that, but frankly....I already won.  He got his 8 yrs.  Maybe Gov. Jindal or ANY OTHER Republican will change their address to 1600 Penn. Av., and then we can debate "Their" Administration. 

2014-02-25 4:36 PM

New user

Originally posted by NXS

Source?

Where's YOUR Source?

Hey, Rick. 

The ACA thread is probably the best place for this....but since you brought it up.  "You Didn't Build That"  comes to mind.  According to many, if a business fails-blame the Govt. But if business thrives-it's the result of good management.  Your term 'This Administration" implies that ANY administration has/will/can do a better job. I disagree.  Less Govt.= less regulations=less protection for consumers. More Govt=more regulations=less $$ for business.  If you wanna argue about the president, we can do that, but frankly....I already won.  He got his 8 yrs.  Maybe Gov. Jindal or ANY OTHER Republican will change their address to 1600 Penn. Av., and then we can debate "Their" Administration. 

Interesting. Have you ever owned your own business?
2014-02-25 6:22 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS

Source?

Where's YOUR Source?

Hey, Rick. 

You missed a couple.   :-P

More Govt=more regulations=less $$ for business=more unemployment=more people on welfare=more democrat votes=more power

2014-02-26 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by NXS

Source?

Where's YOUR Source?

Hey, Rick. 

You missed a couple.   :-P

More Govt=more regulations=less $$ for business=more unemployment=more people on welfare=more democrat votes=more power

HooRay!  And the world is SAVED!!!

...or we can try this.  Less govt=less regulations=less protection for consumers=more deaths/injury due to poor health/safety standards=more poverty cuz Repubs repealled ACA and didn't replace it with anything and millions can't get medical coverage because they now have 'Pre-existing conditions'=most low/middle class people either too sick/or caring for those who are, too sick to go vote=Repubs take over=Zombie apocolypse. 

2014-02-26 1:10 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

Source?

Where's YOUR Source?

Hey, Rick. 

No, Sir. I have not.  With all the grief and hand-wringing I read here on BT, why the hell would I even WANT to?!  lol

Have YOU ever experienced the failure of your families business, and subsequent financial ruin of your family?  Well, I have.  And neither my father nor I blame Presidents Ford/Carter/Reagan for that failure. 

When Romney and Obama thought about reforming Health Care,  I wasn't consulted, because, frankly, I'm probably not considered an 'Expert' in the field of Economics and/or national Health Care delivery.  I may be mistaken, but I'm guessing nobody on BT was in on the planning meetings.  However, I'm confident some pretty smart people were there.  And I'm also confident that their objective was to do "Good" for the greatest amount of people.  In 3 yrs., we can debate whether they were successful.  But 6 million people have signed up for ACA and millions more have/will benefit from Medicaid expansion.   So, before we throw the baby out with the bathwater, I suggest to my Republican friends-HAVE A PLAN! 

I really just wanted to stop by TAN and say 'hey'!  You know, rattle a few cages, stir up some mischief, be a little 'stinker'.  Come On....it's Hump DAAaayyy!

2014-02-26 2:20 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

Source?

Where's YOUR Source?

Hey, Rick. 

No, Sir. I have not.  With all the grief and hand-wringing I read here on BT, why the hell would I even WANT to?!  lol

Have YOU ever experienced the failure of your families business, and subsequent financial ruin of your family?  Well, I have.  And neither my father nor I blame Presidents Ford/Carter/Reagan for that failure. 

When Romney and Obama thought about reforming Health Care,  I wasn't consulted, because, frankly, I'm probably not considered an 'Expert' in the field of Economics and/or national Health Care delivery.  I may be mistaken, but I'm guessing nobody on BT was in on the planning meetings.  However, I'm confident some pretty smart people were there.  And I'm also confident that their objective was to do "Good" for the greatest amount of people.  In 3 yrs., we can debate whether they were successful.  But 6 million people have signed up for ACA and millions more have/will benefit from Medicaid expansion.   So, before we throw the baby out with the bathwater, I suggest to my Republican friends-HAVE A PLAN! 

I really just wanted to stop by TAN and say 'hey'!  You know, rattle a few cages, stir up some mischief, be a little 'stinker'.  Come On....it's Hump DAAaayyy!

lol, well you did stir up some mischief so I'll give you that.  ;-)

I think your first sentence really sums up the issue with the amount of regulations businesses face.  There are so many obstacles and hurdles (caused by the government) to start a business and ultimately succeed that fewer and fewer people even try.  With fewer people starting businesses the economy as a whole suffers and it's just one of many reasons the economy is struggling to get going again.

There obviously need to be regulations and no sane person says remove all regulations.  The governments responsibility should be to provide a level playing field for all.

As for the ACA numbers, you might want to check those out because 6 million has been proven false several times over.  Obama has even been touting 7 million more recently and he received 4 Pinocchio's for that one because it's not based in any reality.

I'm not saying people are not benefiting, but I would guess the people being worse off with the ACA far exceeds the people being helped.  Other than the folks with pre-existing conditions who were ineligible for insurance I have yet to really see anyone who has benefited.

I do agree that if the republicans want to have a successful approach towards healthcare they need to come up with an alternative, but I will also say that there is a very large percentage of the population who would happily take the old system over this new POS we have now.  I'm certainly one of them.

2014-02-26 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

Source?

Where's YOUR Source?

Hey, Rick. 

I think your first sentence really sums up the issue with the amount of regulations businesses face.  There are so many obstacles and hurdles (caused by the government) to start a business and ultimately succeed that fewer and fewer people even try.  With fewer people starting businesses the economy as a whole suffers and it's just one of many reasons the economy is struggling to get going again.

***I see veterans every single day starting new businesses with the HELP of the govt. NOT, in spite of the govt.   Am I mistaken in thinking that the SBA and other like-minded organizations are not a BENEFIT to small business owners.

There obviously need to be regulations and no sane person says remove all regulations.  The governments responsibility should be to provide a level playing field for all.

As for the ACA numbers, you might want to check those out because 6 million has been proven false several times over.  Obama has even been touting 7 million more recently and he received 4 Pinocchio's for that one because it's not based in any reality.

I'm not saying people are not benefiting, but I would guess the people being worse off with the ACA far exceeds the people being helped.  Other than the folks with pre-existing conditions who were ineligible for insurance I have yet to really see anyone who has benefited.

I do agree that if the republicans want to have a successful approach towards healthcare they need to come up with an alternative, but I will also say that there is a very large percentage of the population who would happily take the old system over this new POS we have now.  I'm certainly one of them.

***We both have been quilty of throwing around 'made up' numbers ref. people who are benefitting v. those being adversly effected.  Poll numbers don't mean spit.  I'm fairly certain I could share an equal amount of GOOD  ACA stories as you can BAD.  I guess it depends on the circle of people around you. 

We'll know for certain in a few years.  

BTW...Hope you and yours are well! 

Edited by jeffnboise 2014-02-26 2:45 PM
2014-02-26 3:11 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

Source?

Where's YOUR Source?

Hey, Rick. 

***I see veterans every single day starting new businesses with the HELP of the govt. NOT, in spite of the govt.   Am I mistaken in thinking that the SBA and other like-minded organizations are not a BENEFIT to small business owners.

***We both have been quilty of throwing around 'made up' numbers ref. people who are benefitting v. those being adversly effected.  Poll numbers don't mean spit.  I'm fairly certain I could share an equal amount of GOOD  ACA stories as you can BAD.  I guess it depends on the circle of people around you. 

We'll know for certain in a few years.  

BTW...Hope you and yours are well! 

I tried working with the SBA when I started my business and they sent me packing.   They said I had to have an established business of at least three years with profitability before they would lend me any money.  To which I gave them a facepalm and said that what would be the point of the loan then if my business was already started. I ended up finding a private investor.
I'm a service connected disabled veteran so I had pretty much the best check boxes I could have when I applied.

Agree on ACA numbers.  There really aren't any "reliable" numbers being published.  Obama embellishes all the numbers and his opponents are surely under-reporting them on the other side

2014-04-15 12:07 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Utah cattle rancher stands off against Federal Agents

Eric Holder plays the "race" card

Syria used gas....again.

Ukrain

Congressional Budget Office has not-so-horrible things to report about ACA

Katherine Selbius resigns

......I'm not trolling, I'm just interested in why we aren't discussing any of these things?  Did I miss an 'apathy' memo.

2014-04-15 12:24 AM

User image

Pro

Syria used gas....again.

Ukrain

......I'm not trolling, I'm just interested in why we aren't discussing any of these things?  Did I miss an 'apathy' memo.

Dude....the hockey playoffs are about to start.....can I get back to you?

2014-04-15 7:29 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Syria used gas....again.

Ukrain

lol, I think it's because I've been busy working the past couple weeks.  Seems like I'm usually the one starting all the threads on the fun stuff and I've been slacking.  

I am following the cattle rancher saga a little bit because it's just kind of weird.  It's one thing if you've got a nut job standing up to the Feds, but this guy has a lot of people on his side, including his state government and some pretty powerful politicians.  The even crazier part, is the armed stand off with the Feds appears to have worked.  o.O

As for the others:

Eric Holder plays the "race" card.:  What's funny, is this is what Conservatives deal with all the time.  Something that isn't racist being twisted into something that is.  Eric Holder didn't play the race card and I think people are trying to make a story.

Syria used gas....again.:  I'm sure Obama will draw another line for them to cross, so no worries there.

Ukrain:  Meh, Russia will take it over and the US will do nothing about it.

Congressional Budget Office has not-so-horrible things to report about ACA:  There's a couple angles on the ACA that are in play.  There are the numbers of people who are signing up and there are the number of people who are paying.  We honestly don't know what these numbers are because everyone on both sides is spinning them like crazy.  Without a doubt the government has raised a lot of money with the tax increases, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the government side was "revenue neutral", but the real rubber is going to hit the road when it comes to healthcare costs next year, IMHO.
Hypothetically speaking, if the young and healthy folks do not sign up in the numbers projected, then insurance costs will go up sharply next year because the numbers of people signing up are only the older and unhealthy.
So, I don't get too worked up one way or the other with good news/bad news because ultimately time will tell how successful the ACA is.  I think all of us agree that it's not the best law they could have come up with.

Katherine Selbius resigns:  Honestly, I don't have any problems with her at all.  She was given an impossible task and understandably failed at it.  Her successor will have a lot of struggles too, but it's more about how the law was written then it is her execution, IMHO.

2014-04-16 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I been working on a tread idea about about how brides should be legal since brides are just a form of speech. How fines should be illegal because of freedom of speech.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Political Joe TAN Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Best political news in awhile.

Started by ejshowers
Views: 1251 Posts: 10

2013-05-30 2:33 PM spudone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : VeloPress
comments : 0
Coach Joe Friel Simplifies Power Meters with New User Guide for Cyclists and Triathletes

date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?
date : September 3, 2004
author : tboepple
Joe Friel - Periodization

Joe Friel, Bike Technique & Training (Physiology)
Aero Positioning on the Bike – John Cobb

Details on the first Texas Triathlon Camp with Tom Rodgers, Joe Friel, John cobb, Lauren Maule and Andre Rizo.