General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg press and squats - why both? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-04 7:10 AM

User image

Subject: Leg press and squats - why both?
Hey there - I'm not new to lifting weights, I've been doing it at home with my free weights for years. I've just started using the weights at the gym instead, since I don't have to clean them up when I'm done and there are some options I just don't have at home. I'm doing one of the Winter Maintenance training plans from here and there is strength training included in the program. The leg work consists of: squats, hamstring curls, extensions and leg press. I don't do extensions because they're bad for your knees, so I've replaced those with lunges, but I do all the others.

I'm just a bit confused... since I've been doing all my workouts with squats over the years, no leg press, I don't really understand why both are included in the routine. It was my impression that they're pretty much the same exercise, except the press just takes the risk factor for hurting your back out of it. Wouldn't I be better served ditching the press and doing something like dead-lifts or an explosive move? I really need to build some power in my little legs.

2013-12-04 2:22 PM
in reply to: SmallTriGirl

User image

Subject: RE: Leg press and squats - why both?
this is an older article from bodybuilding.com - and take into account they are talking abotu weighted squats, but it gives you some information:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shannon1.htm
2013-12-04 6:42 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Thanks - I get why you might choose one over the other, but I don't get why both would be included in the same workout.
2013-12-11 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
You have both because one is stabilized and the other unstable. The leg press is selectorized machine, meaning is primary purpose is to target glutes, hamstrings, quads and even calfs. No other engagements happen other than tensing the core on extension. The Squat is a free motion. Meaning many more muscle engagements. The entire body is being used to perform the exercise. the entire trunk (core) abdominal, erector spinae to create stability.

thats usually why you would see these two exercises together on a workout.. stable/unstable engagements.
2013-12-21 6:37 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
I agree with you - if you are already doing squats and lunges you don't need to do leg presses. You would be better off doing deadlifts. And I'm glad you ditched the leg extensions. Hamstring curls aren't too bad but if you do deadlifts you could ditch those as well.

A lot (too many, IMO) of these weight training programs for athletes are simply rehashed bodybuilding routines. Bodybuilders are only focused on gaining size which does NOT necessarily equate to gaining strength. Training for size requires a ton of volume and bodybuilders like to do a variety of exercises for each muscle group. Athletes don't need that. We need basic compound exercises using barbells and dumbbells. If you really wanted to simplify your entire lower body routine could just be squats and deadlifts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg press and squats - why both? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

squats vs. leg press

Started by Meulen
Views: 11226 Posts: 19

2011-04-18 12:59 PM JoshKaptur

DB Press vs. Bench Press

Started by CGunz
Views: 2507 Posts: 11

2009-04-17 4:56 PM Q

leg press question

Started by cathyd
Views: 2131 Posts: 9

2008-02-28 8:11 AM Chippy

one legged squats

Started by ryancrook
Views: 4342 Posts: 12

2008-01-18 7:15 AM berlinsd

Seated squat machine question

Started by vonschnapps
Views: 3334 Posts: 4

2007-12-22 1:02 PM aarondavidson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Leg Press exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : September 11, 2007
Bosu ball squats with one leg on the floor stability exercise with picture and video.
Bosu ball single leg squats stability exercise with picture and video.

Bosu Ball Squat stability exercise with picture and video.
date : June 27, 2006
comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 24, 2006
Bench Press-Wide Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.

date : January 31, 2006
author : mikericci
How do you work legs (squats etc...) and still ride the bike 3 times a week? I don't think I could do much of anything for 1-2 days after I do legs!